• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA warns Mexico over fans' anti-gay chant at Confederations Cup

Astral Dog

uh? I don't think this has anything to do with religion

"Puto". Something that translates as "Man whore". In some cases, it can also translate as "Fag/Faggot". However, there's the problem, the word has a lot of meaning, it can mean "asshole", "jackass" or even "coward" depending on the context.

That's why Mexicans are not taking the warning seriously, for some, it's not an anti-gay word/insult.
Lol you serious it has a lot to do with religion in Mexico, also with a heavily machist (?) Culture, Women and younger girls can be as homophobic as the guys too, because its teached/ normalized.

Obviously religion is not the cause of all, but a big source of it. Other is the traditional conservative communities wich are linked to religion

The thing about 'puto i explained before

Astral Dog

It's really weird to witness, like Homosexuality is significantly more accepted now, but like people still talk with all the homophobic slurs.

So you get weird things like a few years ago when my very openly gay boss used the word indiscriminately as if it was nothing.
Yeah you have them slowly adopting those words because there is literally nothing else, and thats both good(because its not so insulting) and bad (it will continue normalizing phobia to start)
😕

Zasa

Yeah, they can fuck off with that. Disgusting. This has been going on for far too long. Makes embarrassing them 7-0 last year all the more sweeter since they were regurgitating that crap after every goal kick.

Zemm

Ban Mexican fans from one of their games, if that doesn't work, ban them from two games, and keep going from there until they change. Easiest fix ever.

Mindlog

Ban Mexican fans from one of their games, if that doesn't work, ban them from two games, and keep going from there until they change. Easiest fix ever.
You ever watch Mexican football?
Will not be fixed. FIFA is playing the role of a blathering North Korean dictator.

Joeytj

Banned
Come on, no se hagan pendejos. Don't kid yourselves, puto means "faggot" and comes from a very homophobic understanding of its meaning.

Just like "faggot" means coward or "asshole" sometimes, it doesn't take away from the fact that it has a homophobic root.

Both "faggot" and "puto" are first and foremost homophobic slurs and then everything else.

Having said that, I agree that it's hypocritical of FIFA to complain about homophobic slurs and then hold World Cups in Qatar and Russia. Try harder, FIFA.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If they pursue this they need to puede all the "puta de cabaré"/"hijo de puta" chants from South America tbh

I for one am all for changing it from "puto" to "mamón"
The one i don't get is pelotudo. Hairy = dumb?
That's Argentinian and refers to pelotas aka balls

game-boi

Not exactly shocked to see some (very flimsy, very stupid) handwaving here, but this stuff matters. I came into this thread shortly after reading an article about a former NFL player driven to pills/depression/suicide attempts trying to deal with being gay.

For folks that are trying to play the "well, that word has many different meanings/contexts" game, try thinking about what it's like from other people's perspectives. What are you really trying to excuse here? What if your team had a gay player on it and this type of thing contributed to their inability to play their best, drove them to addiction, or something worse? If you (or your team) really can't enjoy a game without chanting homophobic or racist garbage, maybe it's time to find a new hobby.

FIFA has done some shitty things for sure, but this has to change and if sanctions against teams/clubs that engage in this are the only way to do it, so be it.

Can refer to titsucking

And if it's good enough for Colbert it's good enough for me

I mean, like a lot of these words there are probably multiple contexts and histories to these words, but when you are trying to insult another (usually) man, are you really going to call them a "tit sucker" or "promiscuous"?

As a Mexican the insult is used in an homophobic way in football. You just have to listen to the variations the Mexican league "barras" use to know it. Like the Xolos "barras" use the following:

Puto, puto, puto, ese no es portero es una puta de cabaret.

The translation would be like:

Fagot, fagot, fagot, that is not a goalkeeper but a cabaret whore.

Also, like some poster said, it was thanks to Molotov song that the word became more popular, specially as an insult to gay people. For example after Peña won the elections people were using the word puto for Peña but with homophobic connotations, since the same people chanting that were saying that all priistas were gay and stuff like that.

Mexicans like to act in a very "innocent" way on these issues. When you confront them for things that could be considered racist, homophobic, sexist, etcetera, they like to act like they did not know or they were using it in a different context, and it is not a matter of education since you see this with people with PhD.

Kevyt

I don't think FIFA will like ban mexican fans from attending or impose sanctions... Too much money at stake.

Mexican fans like to spend money and losing on profits is not something FIFA would like... Also how would you enforce that people don't curse or use slurs??

It would never work, lol.

Par Score

Wow, fuck the denial and diminishment of homophobia in here.

Faggot means bundle of sticks. Fag means cigarette. Puto means coward. That doesn't mean they aren't all homophobic slurs.

FIFA should throw the book at Mexico over this, and all Mexicans should be ashamed of their fans for this bullshit, not making excuses for them.

Wait... how is the Mexican federation supposed to manage the behavior of Mexican fans?

By banning them from matches?

The English FA do that with hooligans and anyone found being racist/homophobic/etc.

The fact that they gave the world cup to Qatar and Russia tells me that they actually do not give a shit.

Instead of a warning take some action Fifa

Wait... how is the Mexican federation supposed to manage the behavior of Mexican fans?

Ban people who do it from future matches.

The fact that they gave the world cup to Qatar and Russia tells me that they actually do not give a shit.

Instead of a warning take some action Fifa

You could argue there is a different regime in FIFA now than when those WC's were awarded. You are probably right, they don't give a shit. That doesn't make the Mexicans fans behavior acceptable though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I mean, like a lot of these words there are probably multiple contexts and histories to these words, but when you are trying to insult another (usually) man, are you really going to call them a "tit sucker" or "promiscuous"?
If we go that route then I'm sure all slurs have something objectable behind them. At some point you are basically judging morality and I have a huge problem with that. Clear cut offensive shit like the puto chant or racist remarks is another issue.

feel

Start threatening and handing out lifetime football stadium bans to individual chanters and they rest will stop the dumbassery in no time.

PSqueak

Banned
Isn't "mamon" just "cocksucker"?

It's another case of "that's what it used to mean, but nobody uses it like that anymore".

It's used as "Liar" or "jerk".

In mexico If you say "Ese tipo es un mamon" , absolutely nobody will think you are saying "that guy sucks cocks" instead everyone will understand you're saying "That guy is a jerk".

Also if you just yell "Que mamon!", it's the equivalent of yelling "You gotta be shitting me!".

Do note, the word is considered a cuss, so people will frown upon the usage in most contexts.

The usage of the word Mamon, however, does come from telling people "no mames" as a stand in for "cut that shit out", but it literally means "Stop sucking [cock]", which is still pretty homophobic and rude to say. The alternative to that is "No manches" which is used in the same way but literally means "stop smearring".

Mindlog

While they are incredibly hypocritical, their stance on this particular issue is 100% correct.
This is a fanbase known for bags of urine, the routine use of lasers on opposing players and a myriad of other pleasantries.
"Do this for 20 or 30 more years and there will be consequences!"

Doesn't matter if FIFA is correct. They won't correct the problem.

Ban people who do it from future matches.

You could argue there is a different regime in FIFA now than when those WC's were awarded. You are probably right, they don't give a shit. That doesn't make the Mexicans fans behavior acceptable though.

The behaviour is poor no doubt. But they wont stop because Fifa says "Please refrain". They have to ban people, stop opening up the venues etc to instill change.

Hopeford

Wow, learn something every day. Question for BrazilGAF, I'm not sure if this is different in Portuguese or if I left Brazil too young to actually understand what puto meant there.

In Brazil, is puto also an anti-gay slur? I remember it being used more to mean like, super angry. Like "Fiquei puto com isso" to mean "I got really fucking pissed off at that." Wondering if this is one of those cases where the same word is very different or if it was more of a weird regional use back where I lived?

Dinokill

Puto! El que no brinque y no salte!
Puto! El que no haga un desmadre!

Mexican fans should stop saying "Oleee!" when the game is only one minute in, too.

azyless

How do they enforce stadium bans?

It's not easy but with digital sales you can put a person on a ban list from all digital ticket sales. Maybe force an ID to be shown to match a ticket to get in to the stadium.
I don't know how it works for national teams, but for clubs when you're banned you have to report to the police station at the same time as the game is going on. (at least in France it works that way)

Wildo09

Since when does puto = faggot?

They probably shouted "culero", that's definitely equivalent.

Edit: Or maybe it's just used differently than in other Latin American countries. Here it's more like how fuckboy is used.

OraleeWey

Mamón can also mean coward.

Guy: jump into the pool
Guy2: no
Guy: mamón.

The problem with Mexican slurs is that they can mean their definition which is like 10% of the time, or it can mean something unrelated.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Huh didn't know puto was considered a homophobic slur in Mexico. The two Spanish speaking counties I lived in used it as a generic slur for all men. The antigay slur was always maricon.

trejo

As a mexican all I can say is fuck these people. I don't know what more can be done in the way of sanctions or whatever to stop this juvenile behavior but the sooner it gets stamped out the better.

Big Blue

I don't think FIFA will like ban mexican fans from attending or impose sanctions... Too much money at stake.

Mexican fans like to spend money and losing on profits is not something FIFA would like... Also how would you enforce that people don't curse or use slurs??

It would never work, lol.

FIFA has had Champions League games played in empty stadiums, multiple times. They have no problem doing it.

A.Romero

This is the same old excuse people have used forever when defending the use of phrases like "that is so gay!" -- "It's not an insult, it's just words, they're not ACTUALLY saying that thing is gay blah, blah, blah" - No, they are just saying something is bad/garbage/useless/shit/pathetic and the way they are communicating that is to compare it to homosexual men (mostly). This has been explained a million times, don't use "culture" as an excuse.

No excuse, cultural context. It means something.

It does have relevance because contextualizing and considering what people mean can make all the difference.

That said, I'm not advocating for either. I sincerely don't care if they ban Mexico from FIFA (lol) or let them chant whatever they want.

I shared how Mexicans use the word addressing whomever is interested in learning.

To make things worse, this was brought into FIFA attention by the kind of people who whines no when el tri plays.

But is FIFA, hypocrites to the vive.

mavo

Banned
Puto is in fact used as a homophobic slur but i don't think comparing it to faggot is correct, joto is way more like faggot. If you wanna call someone a "fucking fag" you can call him "puto joto".

Anyway even if i think the majority of people aren't using it are not using it as a homophobic slur it is still nasty and FIFA pressure (super hipocritical btw considering Russia and Qatar) will have people change the chant for something else (the ritual will stay since is pretty fun on itself).

Top Bottom