• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA warns Mexico over fans' anti-gay chant at Confederations Cup

Linkark07

Banned
TIL puto was a homophobic slur. The slur I usually hear against gay people is maricon, but maybe it's just dialectic differences.

Where I live, it is usually maricón. Although Panamanians also use Pato or Cueco. I have also seen Perra used on men too, although I don't know if that means gay or something else.

And it will be quite hard (I think actually impossible in the upcoming years) to have people here in Latin America stop using those words. These countries are quite conservative, quite religious. They really hate people from the LGBT Community.

Zasa

Oh Chile is also warned, along with Russia.
The discriminatory chants that the referees were made aware of are:
Ehh puto
Chango
Negro hijo de puta

Don't think they had a problem in their matches, though.
Woah, what the hell? They're doing this disgusting shit too now?

Fuck

Five times last year, and now this.

These warnings ring hollow.

Color me curious.

Can the team itself be sanction if they can't get their fans straight?

I'm sure the fans would not like their team getting penalties because of them, right? And I do think that the team do have some responsibilities in putting out a message to their fans as well.

Eila

Woah, what the hell? They're doing this disgusting shit too now?

Fuck

I thought those were for Chile but I can't find any more info. Chile have also been sanctioned a bunch of times but also over homophobic chants, not racist chants as far as I know. I'm guessing it's more of a general thing.
http://laaficion.milenio.com/futbol...eeeh_puto-milenio-la_aficion_0_974902727.html
But yeah racist and just plain hate chants are the norm over at Eastern Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_v_Albania_(UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying)
Serbian fans had chanted "Ubij, ubij, Šiptara" (Kill the Albanians),[1] and threw flares and other objects on the pitch.

I can confirm from Uruguay that "puto" is homophobic. It have other usage but it don't matter.

It's like "negro de mierda", it have non-racist usages but it's a racist slur.

FIFA is forcing "political correctness" into our cultures, and it's a good thing. A lot of people hate it, though. People would remain racist/homophobic, but at least they will be silent about it.

RM8

Ahaha, this thread. Americans saying Mexico is too religious.

That being said "puto" is a dumb chant because it can indeed mean "faggot", but now that people have been told to not use it, it'll be impossible to stop it. I wish Mexican soccer fans would grow up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For whatever's worth, Mexico played New Zealand today and not one single time was the chant heard. Reportedly a few fans did shout it but they were kicked out of the stadium.

ZoddGutts

Mex-American here. When I spend time in Mexico with relatives, whenever the word puto was used, in context it was used as "you punk" "asshole" or "bitch" etc, didn't even know it could be use as a slur to gays until this thread. Not really sure if it was used as a gay slur in those soccer matches.

neoanarch

How the hell can you not realize its a gay slur. It's literally male prostitute. Its the same connotation and the same rationalization people used for F-word. "You have sex with men, thus making you less of a man" but "Thats not what it means when I use it." Just because its normalized as fuck doesn't remove the link between the meaning and intention.

Interesting. I had always thought that word was closer to asshole or bitch than anything anti-gay. Maricon was the word I was taught to resemble "faggot"

Depends on the Spanish speaking country really. In Peru i.e. It means man whore. Maricon is indeed faggot there. In this case, whatever it is FIFA is just making it simpler. They should just have said those insulting chants gotta stop, period, so there is no chance of interpretation on how it's being used, no matter what, it's an insult.

Mex-American here. When I spend time in Mexico with relatives, whenever the word puto was used, in context it was used as "you punk" "asshole" or "bitch" etc, didn't even know it could be use as a slur to gays until this thread. Not really sure if it was used as a gay slur in those soccer matches.

This heterosplaining again. Ugh.

Mexico too religious?

LOL That's like calling Call of Duty kids over the microphone religious for saying anti-gay insults.

They are just a rude, uneducated, asshole group that don't represent the whole Mexican fans.

Haunted

There are shit people among football fans, we know this.

FIFA has no moral grounds to stand on when sanctioning vile assholes, though they obviously must at least try, just don't be surprised when it doesn't work.

Something like this will just make things worse. There needs to be very strong disciplinary action (which will end up hurting many "regular" football fans as well) to change anything.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Mexico too religious?

LOL That's like calling Call of Duty kids over the microphone religious for saying anti-gay insults.

They are just a rude, uneducated, asshole group that don't represent the whole Mexican fans.

neither does your rude uneducated asshole opinion...

GeoGonzo

Huh, I had no idea. In Spain (or at least Madrid) "Puto" is never used by itself and is only used for emphasis, so "Puto imbécil" would be like "goddamned/motherfucking idiot". In fact "eres un puto" would probably lead to asking "¿un puto qué?".

I can confirm from Uruguay that "puto" is homophobic. It have other usage but it don't matter.

It's like "negro de mierda", it have non-racist usages but it's a racist slur.

Wait, what? Honestly curious about the non-racist use of "negro de mierda".

Astral Dog

Mexico too religious?

Ahaha, this thread. Americans saying Mexico is too religious.
lol are you kidding you are telling me it isn't? 😧
They come from somewhere, and despite some catholics avoiding these words a lot are still responsible of using and normalizing them, its not uncommond at all to find potty mouths going to church every sunday

RM8

lol are you kidding you are telling me it isn't? 😧
They come from somewhere, and despite some catholics avoiding these words a lot are still responsible of using and normalizing them, its not uncommond at all to find potty mouths going to church every sunday
Even if this chant is ultimately homophobic, it does not come from an American style "God Hates Fags" angle, lol, you can't be serious. This is way closer to people using gay instead of lame, and yeah, it's stupid and I wish it wasn't the case. But people chanting "Eeeeeeeh puto" probably share Jesus memes and never go to church. Heck, my mother shares Jesus memes and hardly ever goes to church.

When we have Jesus billboards, our own Westboro Baptist Church, politicians using religion as political arguments, or people pushing for creationism in schools, then maybe I wouldn't laugh at the prospect of Mexico being more religious than America. But gay marriage was legalized nation wide in 2010 under the ruling of our own right wing religious party, so there you go.

Even if this chant is ultimately homophobic, it does not come from an American style "God Hates Fags" angle, lol, you can't be serious. This is way closer to people using gay instead of lame, and yeah, it's stupid and I wish it wasn't the case. But people chanting "Eeeeeeeh puto" probably share Jesus memes and never go to church. Heck, my mother shares Jesus memes and hardly ever goes to church.

When we have Jesus billboards, our own Westboro Baptist Church, politicians using religion as political arguments, or people pushing for creationism in schools, then maybe I wouldn't laugh at the prospect of Mexico being more religious than America. But gay marriage was legalized nation wide in 2010 under the ruling of our own right wing religious party, so there you go.

Yikes. Its not a fucking contest.

JCG

Huh, I had no idea. In Spain (or at least Madrid) "Puto" is never used by itself and is only used for emphasis, so "Puto imbécil" would be like "goddamned/motherfucking idiot". In fact "eres un puto" would probably lead to asking "¿un puto qué?".

Pretty much. It's up to others to determine if the chant was homophobic in this specific instance, I won't get into that, but just about every time I've seen the word used in real life it registers as a replacement for "fuck," "fucking," or "fucker" rather than a gender-related slur.

PSqueak

Banned
Yikes. Its not a fucking contest.

Well, yeah, it isn't, with the USA, who can compete?

Kinda joking but i do want to share a kinda funny fact:

America does have "in god we trust" written in their dollar bills, hilariously enough and by mexican law, dollars TECHNICALLY could be considered worthless because writing religious messages in currency renders it worthless by mexican "separation of church and state" laws.

Mexican-American here. Always thought the chant was stupid and embarrassing, and always wanted it to stop. The fact that it can also mean a homophobic slur, kills all defense for it.

Good riddance I say, but the fact remains that if FIFA is hosting the world cup in Russia and Qatar, they need to look in the mirror as well.

Mau ®

I've lived in Mexico for the better part of my life now and "puto" is not really a homophobic word. I mean it could be but we have more specific words for that imo.

Mau ®;241578801 said:
I've lived in Mexico for the better part of my life now and "puto" is not really a homophobic word. I mean it could be but we have more specific words for that imo.
Yes it is. We have way more homophobic words for gay men than fag in the US as well. That doesn't mean anything.

Mau ®;241578801 said:

Well, now you know it's an anti-gay slur, so stop using it.

Mindlog

well i know that Xuxa, chucha means vagina sometimes
Yeah that was the rub.
ChuCha was perfectly acceptable, but when she spread beyond her original borders it became, 'Shoe-Shaw.'

Pretty ethnocentric of others not to see the issue here even though I firmly believe the slur connotation in this case and wish it was excised from the game.
Then again as someone who grew up with very different perspectives on the language I could say that unfortunately most curse words were used as hateful slurs against one group or another.

Spaz is something a dork uses in the US and something an asshole uses in the UK.
Bullshit is a routine chant in the US despite its uncouth nature.

If FIFA wants to build a more welcoming community then that's great!
FIFA isn't interested in building a more welcoming community. They're interesting in placating a movement just enough to maintain their revenue stream.

RM8

Well, yeah, it isn't, with the USA, who can compete?

Kinda joking but i do want to share a kinda funny fact:

America does have "in god we trust" written in their dollar bills, hilariously enough and by mexican law, dollars TECHNICALLY could be considered worthless because writing religious messages in currency renders it worthless by mexican "separation of church and state" laws.
This, lol. Maybe I'm too defensive but having Americans of all people calling Mexico overtly relugious (especially when it's completely unrelated, like here) gets old quickly. Among many other thing about Mexico, they simply have no idea how religion works in Mexico.

Dai101

Banned
This, lol. Maybe I'm too defensive but having Americans of all people calling Mexico overtly relugious (especially when it's completely unrelated, like here) gets old quickly. Among many other thing about Mexico, they simply have no idea how religion works in Mexico.

Among a LOT of other stuff, but hey, 'MURICA FUCK YEAH!! right? Dat american excepcionalism

Don't give it too much thought, homie. Lot of those gringos still believe their shit don't stink. Fortunatelly, not all of them.

Wait, what? Honestly curious about the non-racist use of "negro de mierda".

It's sometime used against people which are not black. In Argentina, it's used against robbers.
It's also used (without the "de mierda" part of course) as a "cute nickname" to people who have all kind of skin color.
Many people who use it in a racist way pretend that it's not worst than "gordo/flaco (fat/skinny) de mierda".

Racism is rampant in this part of the world and you need to rightly prepare to face them if you want to go there. I knew a black teacher of biology who was teaching here and it was VERY hard on him. It's like going back in the past, before civil right struggle and racism being morally bad for most people.

Top Bottom