• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round XV: Cross Assault Survivors Reunion | Fighting game tournament | Mar. 2-4

Is kara a dude?

yes

And Kusoru is great. He was just having fun, having a good time. I'm sure no one has any ill will (except for the few in this thread and those commenters in the romancancel blog) and they just wanted to play him again and get a chance to figure him out. As mentioned, he just isn't used to this particular culture of money matches.

Calm down and enjoy it for what it is. An excellent match and just fun overall.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I gotta say, people devaluing Kusoru's play is pretty damn pathetic in this thread.

Dude didn't "just" win cause he trolled his way to the top with an assist everyone knew was good since day -30. He had incredible defense, blocked everything that was thrown at him when someone did get in, punished players' super meat boy-like "if it doesn't work, do it again" tactics, knew his matchups far better than his opponents, and the list goes on. Let's not forget the amount of consistently good players he destroyed along the way.

Watch those matche again, I know people like to arbitrarily label Marvel as an inconsistent judge of skill, but a dude from Japan just came in and showed unarguable consistency. Fundamentals won him Final Round, not an assist. And it's disappointing to hear that some IRL hostility towards the dude has made him fearful to return for more competition. Its okay to have rivalries, but when the dude clearly doesn't want to get involved in the money match, etc. atmosphere, give him a break. Dude must've been under tons of pressure and it's sad to see people want to sour what he earned so bad. He won, period. No way to detract from fact, he is currently the best.
After MarlinPie.

I gotta say, people devaluing Kusoru's play is pretty damn pathetic in this thread.

Dude didn't "just" win cause he trolled his way to the top with an assist everyone knew was good since day -30. He had incredible defense, blocked everything that was thrown at him when someone did get in, punished players' super meat boy-like "if it doesn't work, do it again" tactics, knew his matchups far better than his opponents, and the list goes on. Let's not forget the amount of consistently good players he destroyed along the way.

Watch those matche again, I know people like to arbitrarily label Marvel as an inconsistent judge of skill, but a dude from Japan just came in and showed unarguable consistency. Fundamentals won him Final Round, not an assist. And it's disappointing to hear that some IRL hostility towards the dude has made him fearful to return for more competition. Its okay to have rivalries, but when the dude clearly doesn't want to get involved in the money match, etc. atmosphere, give him a break. Dude must've been under tons of pressure and it's sad to see people want to sour what he earned so bad. He won, period. No way to detract from fact, he is currently the best.
After MarlinPie.

Hey, we agree on something for once. Good post.

And it's disappointing to hear that some IRL hostility towards the dude has made him fearful to return for more competition. Its okay to have rivalries, but when the dude clearly doesn't want to get involved in the money match, etc. atmosphere, give him a break.

I have my doubts as to whether he's legit serious with that, considering pretty much anything he does/says is for the lulz. If he is serious....really? Can't say no?

Duxxy3

Kusoru was the best for a single weekend.

Winning one major and then disappearing doesn't negate that win but it certainly lessens it. Daigo and Justin are thought of as the best in their countries because they have sustained success.

Kusoru was the best for a single weekend.

Winning one major and then disappearing doesn't negate that win but it certainly lessens it. Daigo and Justin are thought of as the best in their countries because they have sustained success.

Disappearing? Lessening??

It only has been a few days since Final Round, his first US UMVC3 tournament, and you're already downplaying his skill because he only won one US tournament? The most recent one?

Duxxy3

Disappearing? Lessening??

It only has been a few days since Final Round, his first US UMVC3 tournament, and you're already downplaying his skill because he only won one US tournament? The most recent one?

I didn't downplay his skill. I did say that if he disappears (which he has already said he is doing) the meaning of his final round win will be lessened because he has not shown an ability to have sustained success.

I didn't downplay his skill. I did say that if he disappears (which he has already said he is doing) the meaning of his final round win will be lessened because he has not shown an ability to have sustained success.

Oh okay, you're saying IF....Anyways, hopefully Kurosu goes to EVO or CEO.

And Hopefully Kurosu's win at Final Round hopefully will stop idiot players from thinking, "IF YOU DON'T PICK WESKER OR TOP TIER, YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG".

Really hope this forces more innovation from the US UMVC3 scene.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
curious any certain reason why you say this? haha, was actually going to check out planet zero earlier today.
To be specific: PZ was an SBO qualifying spot for Guilty Gear a few years back. One of the teams that entered the qualifier consisted of 3 players who were sponsored by PZ itself. This team got 2nd place. The PZ owner decided to replace one of the members of the winning team with one of his PZ guys, much to everyone else's disapproval. SBO issued a letter disapproving of this as well but did not enforce any actions and continued to give PZ qualifying spots in the future. There's been some bad blood ever since.

I feel like I kind of have to backpedal off of my previous post though, as it's not really fair to judge someone by the company he keeps.

Anth0ny

Can anyone explain what "Kappa" is to me? I keep hearing that in streams and chats, I feel so lost q_q

It's this

TxGQW.jpg

in the form of a twitch.tv emoticon. Used when trolling.

To be specific: PZ was an SBO qualifying spot for Guilty Gear a few years back. One of the teams that entered the qualifier consisted of 3 players who were sponsored by PZ itself. This team got 2nd place. The PZ owner decided to replace one of the members of the winning team with one of his PZ guys, much to everyone else's disapproval. SBO issued a letter disapproving of this as well but did not enforce any actions and continued to give PZ qualifying spots in the future. There's been some bad blood ever since.

I feel like I kind of have to backpedal off of my previous post though, as it's not really fair to judge someone by the company he keeps.

ah okay, thanks! I never knew about this, that's crazy.

Can anyone explain what "Kappa" is to me? I keep hearing that in streams and chats, I feel so lost q_q
It's what you need to type into the stream chat to get this emoticon:
Kappa.png

Basically used as a sarcasm/troll face, and people type it outside of the chat because they lack communication skills.

Mihe wasn't even close to trolling or being a dick.

He was taunting at every opportunity given to him and on more than 1 occasion he stood up while Vergil's swords were still going on. Apparently he has a bad reputation among the southern players even before FR.

The FGC should be fucking ashamed right now.

But then again, what wrong did the FGC do? He was sponsored to come here and kick American butts, while the people at the FGC paid out of their own pockets to come to majors to get bodied by the best players. Had PR Rog won FR you would have been sure he would be swapped with MM requests too. This is just him having no interest in becoming the Daigo of UMvC3 and wanting other Japanese UMvC3 players to have the opportunity of being the Daigo of UMvC3. You have to respect him for that.

I really hope Kusoro reconsiders and comes back. It's much more refreshing seeing some characters besides wesker, wolverine or zero win something for once.

I really can't judge one way or the other about what happened to him. Was he just upset that people wanted to MM the champion instead of congratulating him, or were there couple of people who were all "in yo face" approaching and trying to pressure him to MM beyond the comfort point, maybe a little of column A and a little of column B ?

All in all, I hope he goes back to Japan, maybe talk with some of the veterans out there so he wouldn't be as shocked the next time he comes back to the states.

hteng

Banned
I really hope Kusoro reconsiders and comes back. It's much more refreshing seeing some characters besides wesker, wolverine or zero win something for once.

I really can't judge one way or the other about what happened to him. Was he just upset that people wanted to MM the champion instead of congratulating him, or were there couple of people who were all "in yo face" approaching and trying to pressure him to MM beyond the comfort point, maybe a little of column A and a little of column B ?

All in all, I hope he goes back to Japan, maybe talk with some of the veterans out there so he wouldn't be as shocked the next time he comes back to the states.

i guess the mindset is completely different from both sides. One just wants to mess around and troll people, the other is dead serious on the game

He needs to learn how to not give a fuck about salt. No one's going to hurt him. At first I felt sympathetic for him, but after those tweets, he just seems really oversensitive. Sounds like he never wanted to leave Japan in the first place.

Hasn't "paid his dues"?

The fuck is that supposed to mean?

It mean exactly what it says. Have you already forgotten when Wolfkrone first burst onto the scene with his pad? Or remember Inthul at ET2 with the Fei Long? Online tony? What you think people were chanting ON-LINE-TON-E when he was doing those Seth's stomp his first tournament?

It's the same shit in almost every community (sports, e-sports, work institution) whether it's out in the open or a universal unspoken code.

Forgot Tokido's win over Justin at CEO? The salt on that one was way worst. Not only was it PHX, but it was the first time Japan won Marvel on American soil.

Read up on your history son. This shit been going on for 20 odd years man. The only time a player come out of nowhere and got majority of love on their first win was Gamerbee, but then again we are used to getting beat by international competition in SF4 so that's like comparing apples and oranges.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Read up on your history son. This shit been going on for 20 odd years man. The only time a player come out of nowhere and got majority of love on their first win was Gamerbee, but then again we are used to getting beat by international competition in SF4 so that's like comparing apples and oranges.
Gamerbee also didn't spend an entire tournament showboating and close it off by mocking the entire scene on Twitter.

I actually enjoyed Kusoru's antics, though. I think it's really cool to see the international players chant back at the crowd when they start their "USA!" stuff instead of just being stoic about it. It really looked like they were into it, and that's a great thing to see.

It's completely my belief that Kusoru is still just trolling and the stream monsters are taking everything twice as seriously as they should be, as usual.

Jintor

It's completely my belief that Kusoru is still just trolling and the stream monsters are taking everything twice as seriously as they should be, as usual.

Pretty much. Dude looked like he was having a ball.

The anime v japan match, I nearly died laughing. That's what it's about, dude.

Kikujiro

Gamerbee also didn't spend an entire tournament showboating and close it off by mocking the entire scene on Twitter.

I actually enjoyed Kusoru's antics, though. I think it's really cool to see the international players chant back at the crowd when they start their "USA!" stuff instead of just being stoic about it. It really looked like they were into it, and that's a great thing to see.

Yeah, I think Kusoru's tweets are not that dramatic, I'm sure he's half-joking. And his clownesque antics weren't disrespectful, especially after reading that post about his love for "shitty" games. I'm glad SRK posted the article too.

alstein

I think he's trolling the fans now.

I really do want to see him come back and try to do it again though. I'd root for him over most Americans.

Unless I missed anything, he didn't mock the US scene at all, if anything he complemented how much pride America holds for Marvel.

After reading the post from his sponsor, it does sound like some (not all) approached him in an overly aggressive way, which is fine if you are somebody who's been part of the scene for years and know this stuff but for a small japanese guy on his first time outside the country, I could see how some of the overly salty players can scare him a bit.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Most of this is just a clash between 2 very different cultures. And a lot of the rest is just Kusoru getting something different out of playing than what even a lot of Japanese players would.

Doesn't help that the internet is very good at making mountains out of molehills.

Has anyone called Kotaku yet? I think someone should call Kotaku.

Top Bottom