• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

Xbro

I think there really is no reason to doubt that at least Ike will make it in.

In the Famitsu poll Ike was voted as the number 1 character in the series.

Azuran

Banned
Get your bad opinions out of my face.
Nephenee has no chance. :(

:( to both

Lucina is probably not going to get in this time since Chrom is finally getting his chance and Lucina would likely be a hybrid of Marth and Chrom if not a straight up clone.

Nephenee for Cordelia is a deal I'd make any day. Cordelia is cool and all but, well just look at my avatar. You know who I want.

But I want to play as both Chrom and Cordelia and be able to relieved my totally awesome fan fiction!

Lucina could be their kid so I hope she's playable too.

NeonZ

What are the chances Amiibo support in Warriors is still just weapons and materials? They wouldn't lock up Marth, Ike, and Lucina would they?

Marth's Falchion and Corrin's sword are in the trailer. They won't lock up characters like this in what's supposed to be a fanservice game. If there's some kind of class system though, I could see them locking special classes/movesets behind the Amiibo, like the Spinner being tied to Link's Amiibo in Hyrule Warriors. Although if there's a class system the classes wouldn't need to be unique/character specific, like in Dragon Quest Heroes II.

MADGAME

Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question, but will there be any Switch news in regards to the direct tomorrow or only mobile platform?

NeonZ

Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question, but will there be any Switch news in regards to the direct tomorrow or only mobile platform?

This Direct was originally announced by NOA while mentioning more about FE Warriors. The official announcement from Japan only directly mentions the mobile title though, but there's nothing like "no Switch news" unlike in previous Directs.

emb

My predictions:
- FE Mobile trailer
- Story overview
- Segments detailing a couple different modes, as well as hyping up paid features
- Fall 2017 release window
- Mention of some sort of Fates DLC
- Corrin amiibo given a date, show off male and female versions
- Proper trailer for Warriors, showing 3 or 4 main characters, gameplay, and a release year

That last point may be seriously over optimistic. Language in the presentation made it sound like the thing was still quite early in development, so maybe the most to hope for would be a more cinematic trailer.

Super optimistic thing I hope happens at the end: tease for another Direct in a couple weeks, maybe something for Splatoon, or a mention that there will be another general Direct around Switch launch.

plufim

Marth's Falchion and Corrin's sword are in the trailer. They won't lock up characters like this in what's supposed to be a fanservice game. If there's some kind of class system though, I could see them locking special classes/movesets behind the Amiibo, like the Spinner being tied to Link's Amiibo in Hyrule Warriors. Although if there's a class system the classes wouldn't need to be unique/character specific, like in Dragon Quest Heroes II.
I'm hoping it's just random weapon and/or traditional costumes. Since they always like to put a twist on the character appearance (scarf for link), that'd be an easy thing, and noone misses out on gameplay options.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not expecting any more than that, but I'm hoping for at least one character per game/universe (and not just Fates/Awakening characters) . Which is just as unrealistic, unfortunately.

Most Warriors games have larger rosters.

Franz Brötchen;228559030 said:
At release, sure. But the DLC policy with Hyrule Warriors was pretty extensive and not even scammy. Eventually, this game could be packed with fan service if demand is strong enough.

HW had something like 15 at launch. 8 would be the worst roster ever made.

Hyrule Warriors launched with 13 and a few characters had more than one moveset. I don't see why they can't do at least that many here for launch.

Ok, let's say 12 in the base game, 6 split in three DLC packs in the pipe line, with a season pass sold at 14,49€

The roster will have 1 or 2 characters from every game in the series, except for Marth's crew and the Awakening/Fates which will have significantly more representation than the other games, and Ike's two titles which will have like 2 extra people.

I think the roster will be pretty large though, and they'll stay away from the alternate moveset weapons stuff that made the Hyrule Warriors roster small, instead opting to just make additional characters for those weapons/classes.

you can just really tell who's only exposure to the Warriors/Musou games has been Hyrule Warriors because their rosters are like 8 characters big and they expect multiple weapons per character. aint happening, FE demands a large roster in it's own games and they'll carry that over to FE Warriors. alt weapons might end up being DLC for one or two characters if there's fan demand

MADGAME

This Direct was originally announced by NOA while mentioning more about FE Warriors. The official announcement from Japan only directly mentions the mobile title though, but there's nothing like "no Switch news" unlike in previous Directs.
I see, thanks.

Totakeke

I'm hoping that the big surprise is that the mobile FE is also coming to Switch. That will be an interesting announcement that will also have to detail how the Switch eshop works.

Edit: Wait what if the Switch is a smart device that supports apps :O. Okay now I'm being too optimistic.

Semajer

Looks pretty off to me, tbh. Not sure how you got so many obvious things wrong. Here's my list of predictions to compare. I think it'll be pretty accurate.

8Qw84rk.png

What kind of bare bones list is this? No Black Frost Anna?

Birthright was ok, just a mediocre story.

Conquest is awful. While trying to portray how Corrin returned to Nohr and tried to work for the "bad guys", they basically made her stupid. Worse was she and Azura discovered Garon was a monster.
Instead of, you know, show the mirror to the Nohr royals, they went to attack a kingdom just for have Garon show his true self. And there are many other reasons why Conquest is bad. Plus Garon, Iago and Hans were one dimensional villains.
The beginning of Revelations was stupid. Look, Corrin doesn't want join us, now she is a traitor. Like what? Let the girl decide not join any of you.
And the way they killed Scarlet or how they revealed who the traitor was, or how everything Corrin does can be forgiven, despite how stupid her choices are.
I actually liked this.
I mean it should've been more chapters with her, but the idea that some characters could die. It could work great in a narrative sense. Imagine getting S with scarlet and then dying? Could been a pretty powerful moment if implemented right. I just absolute hate how they handled it

Scarlet
in Revelations was handled so poorly. I S ranked in my playthrough and there was no unique dialogue or any indication whatsoever concerning
her death

kswiston

Doesn't really mean that much. The Akaenia games are loved in Japan and it and Awakening were the only games represented in TMS, despite what the 2013 teaser indicated. There's also the fact Marth is probably the most iconic character in the series, if only cause of Smash Bros. So I can see Akaenia, Awakening and Fates being the only games getting represented here.

If you throw in the DS remakes, those are also the only FE games released in the past decade (or at least they will be in 6 weeks).

That said, I would be surprised if Ike is cut.

emb

I was kinda wondering about it too, so I decided to go back and check the wording from Treehouse.

Vid link w/ timestap: https://youtu.be/qadzCB3CLlI?t=3h40m18s

Treehouse said:
Last night if you were tuned into the stream coming from Japan, you saw a teeny-tiny teaser of Fire Emblem Warriors; it's an ode to Fire Emblem fans. And we are actually going to be showcasing a Fire Emblem Direct next week for you guys, so that you can get some more information and check it out a little deeper.

Sounds pretty confirmed.

And Japan's tweet, courtesy of GAF's very own StreetsAhead:
Yep, the Tweet says
The 1/19/2017 Fire Emblem Direct will be broadcast from 7AM on January 19th (Thurs). Starting with the brand new game in the series for smart phones, this Direct will cover a variety of information related to the series. #NintendoDirectJP

Hyrule Warriors was shown in December 2013, and released 9 months after in September 2014, let's hope for the same time frame, here too.
Let's hope indeed! I'd be pretty happy if we get the game this year.

Looking forward to this. I would consider myself pretty new to the series, my first proper Fire Emblem was Awakening, but I really loved it. Fates, I thought was okay, found the plot to be spread way too thin between the various version, I hope they don't go in that direction again. Still a fun game though, don't get me wrong. A little bit of Fire Emblem Warriors & whatever the mobile game is will keep me going.

L95

So how would people feel if literally every character in this game was actually Xane from a bunch of different outrealms

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I never ended up even opening my limited edition of Fates, maybe I should just wait for the Switch version now...
I'm in the exact same boat, although I'm not betting on a Switch version being shown tomorrow. If anything, all this FE talk will make me finally open my LE.

ar4757

Why would you include a bad character like that?

Tfw not avatar quoted on the rare opportune moment

Anyway Donnel should be in because he's cool, looks cool, and becomes a monster if you keep using him. Also I had him as my avatar before I even played Awakening, he's that good looking with his pot on his head

Tfw not avatar quoted on the rare opportune moment

Anyway Donnel should be in because he's cool, looks cool, and becomes a monster if you keep using him. Also I had him as my avatar before I even played Awakening, he's that good looking with his pot on his head

anyone becomes a monster if you keep using them in Awakening though

Cerium

People miss the point of Donnell. It's traditional in Fire Emblem to have a character that starts out kind of shit but has amazing growth.

Just like it's traditional to have a character that's absurdly overpowered at first but has shit growth and will soak up all the early experience if you overuse them.

Donnel would be a good DLC pick, as would most silly fan-favorite characters who are otherwise a little too obscure to represent their games in the main roster

But there's so many other strong picks from Awakening that I doubt we'll see him. We never did get Groose in Hyrule Warriors after all

People miss the point of Donnell. It's traditional in Fire Emblem to have a character that starts out kind of shit but has amazing growth.

Just like it's traditional to have a character that's absurdly overpowered at first but has shit growth and will soak up all the early experience if you overuse them.

and the former is always bad and the latter is varying degrees of good depending on the game and doesn't "steal" "experience"

Meg and Fiona were straight up lies

hey free money (Fortune) and some good skills (Savior/Imbue), I'll take it

Top Bottom