• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

Griss

So are we expecting the app to be a waifu simulator? I'm not making a tired joke. I actually expect this.

I expect it too.

Getting people attached to characters is a great way to make them spend money on items for them. 'Waifu' archetypes are one of the easiest ways to get people to care about characters.

If the game is riddled with microtransactions (as I'm expecting) then that kind of approach makes a lot of sense.

(I mean waifus on top of the actual FE gameplay, of course.)

Linkark07

Banned
What was wrong with Fates story? I loved it compared to others, I think Revelations could have had a bit more depth in the final chapters or exclusive characters from the final area but the overall theme was great.

Birthright was ok, just a mediocre story.

Conquest is awful. While trying to portray how Corrin returned to Nohr and tried to work for the "bad guys", they basically made her stupid. Worse was she and Azura discovered Garon was a monster.
Instead of, you know, show the mirror to the Nohr royals, they went to attack a kingdom just for have Garon show his true self. And there are many other reasons why Conquest is bad. Plus Garon, Iago and Hans were one dimensional villains.
The beginning of Revelations was stupid. Look, Corrin doesn't want join us, now she is a traitor. Like what? Let the girl decide not join any of you.
And the way they killed Scarlet or how they revealed who the traitor was, or how everything Corrin does can be forgiven, despite how stupid her choices are.

Birthright was ok, just a mediocre story.

Conquest is awful. While trying to portray how Corrin returned to Nohr and tried to work for the "bad guys", they basically made her stupid. Worse was she and Azura discovered Garon was a monster.
Instead of, you know, show the mirror to the Nohr royals, they went to attack a kingdom just for have Garon show his true self. And there are many other reasons why Conquest is bad. Plus Garon, Iago and Hans were one dimensional villains.
The beginning of Revelations was stupid. Look, Corrin doesn't want join us, now she is a traitor. Like what? Let the girl decide not join any of you.
And the way they killed Scarlet or how they revealed who the traitor was.

Who could've killed Scarlet!? Oh hey Gunter, who hasn't had a line of dialogue or been in a cut scene for a while. What's your opinion on this?

Terrible

PK Gaming

I'm just talking about the amount of work you need to put in to consider all of the permutations of all of the enemies moves considering double attacks and the potential skills that might activate. That's all. I find each move to be too much work.

Maybe I should go back to Fates with fresh eyes, ignore the story and see if my opinion changes bearing in mind what you've said. Wouldn't be the first time I go back to a game after a year break and enjoy it more.

As far as I know, double attacks were only introduced with Fates, right? You could never have two adjacent characters attack on the same move before just because they were standing together. In Awakening characters had to be paired to do so. I only played 7, 8, 9, 10, Awakening and Fates though.

I genuinely think you'll have a better go about it on your second run. Once you master pair up / double attack, playing through Fates becomes a lot easier. I actually have the complete opposite when I revisit older FE games. I have to take weapon weight and constitution into account, same turn reinforcements (for some of them), the amount of punishment a unit can take on the enemy turn (with Fates, the dual guard mechanic makes it less dangerous), etc.

Looks pretty off to me, tbh. Not sure how you got so many obvious things wrong. Here's my list of predictions to compare. I think it'll be pretty accurate.

8Qw84rk.png

Holy shit we're not worthy of such a godlike roster.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
In what way - actual Fire Emblem Ami face poking style??
plus bikini MT

I expect it too.

Getting people attached to characters is a great way to make them spend money on items for them. 'Waifu' archetypes are one of the easiest ways to get people to care about characters.

If the game is riddled with microtransactions (as I'm expecting) then that kind of approach makes a lot of sense.

(I mean waifus on top of the actual FE gameplay, of course.)

Add a gatcha element and Nintendo will be swimming in money. My credit card is ready to go as we speak.
Be ready to throw your plastic at the screen tomorrow.

Who could've killed Scarlet!? Oh hey Gunter, who hasn't had a line of dialogue or been in a cut scene for a while. What's your opinion on this?

Terrible

The worse thing about that is there is not even a way to save Scarlet like S/A Ranking her like you can for Kaze in Birthright. Why even let me have a character for what 2 chapters then randomly decide to kill her off.

The worse thing about that is there is not even a way to save Scarlet like S/A Ranking her like you can for Kaze in Birthright. Why even let me have a character for what 2 chapters then randomly decide to kill her off.

I actually liked this.
I mean it should've been more chapters with her, but the idea that some characters could die. It could work great in a narrative sense. Imagine getting S with scarlet and then dying? Could been a pretty powerful moment if implemented right. I just absolute hate how they handled it

Drop

As far as I know, double attacks were only introduced with Fates, right? You could never have two adjacent characters attack on the same move before just because they were standing together. In Awakening characters had to be paired to do so. I only played 7, 8, 9, 10, Awakening and Fates though.
Oh I misunderstood, you're talking about dual strike, you're right that's present only in fates and as you said in a different form in awakening.

In any case I can't agree about the complexity of the game, I feel like fates is in a really good spot mechanics wise.

The whole point of a strategy game is that you're presented a set of rules and you gotta play with them to solve a challenge, seems like mechanics being too complex is the last thing someone would complain about, especially when the game offers a variety of difficulty options for those who might want a more relaxed experience.

Fandangox

I'm just talking about the amount of work you need to put in to consider all of the permutations of all of the enemies moves considering double attacks and the potential skills that might activate. That's all. I find each move to be too much work.

This is what I loved about Conquest and why I disliked awakening so much. Only time in Fates I thought it was overwhelming was the very last chapter.

Drop

So are we expecting the app to be a waifu simulator? I'm not making a tired joke. I actually expect this.
Not at all, honestly I wouldn't even have thought about it if I hadn't seen it mentioned here.

I expect it to be a gacha, they already have a tcg in Japan after all.

Hazu

Any chance this game might be released on march 3rd?

The timing of this direct feels so weird to me that I think they could surprise us by doing that,

plufim

Well obviously I went with the best avatars. So Male for Robin, and Female for Corrin.

She's there, bottom right
I'm hoping that we can choose between genders for Corrin and Robin as costume options.

As for predictions, I imagine we'll also see a few from the mobile game and at least one OC.

Oh and you missed Titania who is definately 100% totally happening.

Edit: by the by, if Fire Emblem Fates Switch is a thing, I bet it comes with a Corrin Amiibo. Now make that an exclusive Female Corrin Amiibo and suddenly you have a best seller.

javadoze

I wonder if Fire Emblem Warriors will go out of its way to adopt certain gameplay features from the games themselves like: the weapon triangle, unit promotion, longer range weapons like the ballista, and etc? Out of any of these, I can easily see Unit Promotion being a gameplay feature: maybe after defeating a certain amount of enemies or accruing experience, you'll get the chance to promote your character and become more powerful.

Oh yeah, posted this in the FEgaf OT but here's my 1000% accurate FE: Warrior's (eventual) roster prediction.

YnALsAU.png

10000% accurate, flog me if wrong.

Something tells me I'm going to be disappointed when there aren't nearly enough GBA Fire Emblem characters on the roster.

plufim

I actually expect the weapon triangle and promotion, but also, a little bit of RNG in levelling up.

Surely Lyn and Hector are a lock though.

Both Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing Mobile were said to be releasing by to March 2017, so we'll see them soon enough (tomorrow in FE's case).

If they really do come out by then is the question, it feels a little too close to the Switch's release and there's seemingly no Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem game to justify releasing them earlier than March. We'll probably get Fire Emblem in April or something, though, since Warriors is coming and it's being revealed already.

emb

Looks pretty off to me, tbh. Not sure how you got so many obvious things wrong. Here's my list of predictions to compare. I think it'll be pretty accurate.

8Qw84rk.png
She really is a great choice though. I hadn't thought of her, until I saw these predictions start firing off.

Azuran

Banned
Both Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing Mobile were said to be releasing by to March 2017, so we'll see them soon enough (tomorrow in FE's case).

If they really do come out by then is the question, it feels a little too close to the Switch's release and there's seemingly no Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem game to justify releasing them earlier than March. We'll probably get Fire Emblem in April or something, though, since Warriors is coming and it's being revealed already.

The mobile games are their own independent thing thought. They're not meant to promote future games for Nintendo just because they're being released so close to the new system.

Super Mario Run wasn't made so people could get excited for a new console Mario game.

plufim

The mobile games are their own independent thing thought. They're not meant to promote future games for Nintendo just because they're being released so close to the new system.

Super Mario Run wasn't made so people could get excited for a new console Mario game.
More so with FE though, since the team has to develop the mobile campaign (assuming it has one), they'll be spread pretty thin to also make a switch FE game. This might be why the Fates Switch port happens, if it does.

TrueBlue

If I were to make a prediction list, it would probably be:

Marth
Roy
Lyn
Ike
Chrom
Lucina
Tharja
Robin (Male)
Anna
Tiki
Corrin (Female)
Camilla
Leo

This is mostly a combination of my own FE experience - Smash Bros, Awakening and Fates - and Japanese popularity polls. Other names I see mentioned a lot and are probably popular enough are:

Hector
Sigurd
Micaiah

I imagine this list will be pretty far off the mark though...

I have a bad feeling that FE15 will be the mobile game. I hope I'm wrong. I don't intend to get a iOS device so it already sucks that I missed out on Mario Run despite owning all Nintendo systems. Please whatever the FE mobile game is, even if its a dumb puzzle game please let it also come to 3DS or Switch. Why is Nintendo not letting me play Nintendo games on Nintendo system? So unfair. I don't want to spend $300 on a new iPod Touch just to be able to play Mario Run and whatever else comes out. :(

Well atleast new Fire Emblem Warriors news will be cool.

jwhit28

What are the chances Amiibo support in Warriors is still just weapons and materials? They wouldn't lock up Marth, Ike, and Lucina would they?

Nephenee for Cordelia and Lucina doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Lucina is probably not going to get in this time since Chrom is finally getting his chance and Lucina would likely be a hybrid of Marth and Chrom if not a straight up clone.

Nephenee for Cordelia is a deal I'd make any day. Cordelia is cool and all but, well just look at my avatar. You know who I want.

Marth (his falchion is in the trailer) is already confirmed for the game though.

Doesn't really mean that much. The Akaenia games are loved in Japan and it and Awakening were the only games represented in TMS, despite what the 2013 teaser indicated. There's also the fact Marth is probably the most iconic character in the series, if only cause of Smash Bros. So I can see Akaenia, Awakening and Fates being the only games getting represented here.

Top Bottom