• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

I don't see Animal Crossing mobile doing as well as this.
RPGs and strategy games are much bigger successes on mobile than simulation.
And I don't think Animal Crossing fans are as willing cattle as Fire Emblem fans, as seen by the amiibo/card (though Cipher is different) enthusiasm.

Animal crossing is a FAR bigger franchise than fire emblem. It's basically right up there with nintendos biggest franchises and has performed really well with the casual audience (hence it's popularity on DS and wii).

I think fire emblem will do really well but animal crossing could be very popular as well.

L95

so outside of all this great news...is it safe to say we arent getting the last bit of DLC for Fates?

It just feels so strange they haven't released that yet.

I don't really care about Fates DLC (...Yes, I did buy the Gaiden dlc), but it really stinks they haven't releases the last bit of it outside of Japan :/

JnFnRu

This Direct was way more impressive than I expected. In the next two years, Fire Emblem is getting:

1) A mobile game
2) A remake
3) An amiibo line
4) A spinoff
5) A mainline game

That's basically 5-star treatment from Nintendo. What a renaissance this franchise has experienced.

And all I was hoping for was a WiiU port of TMS #FE as I sold my wiiu right before it came out... doesn't matter if it's rubbish I need to play it eventually, maybe digital only??

Shengar

The Gamexplain guys pointed out in their discussion, but one of the big takeaways from this Direct is that Nintendo really does see Fire Emblem as a global franchise now.
Heroes, Echoes, and Warriors are all launching simultaneously worldwide. No more waiting 9 months for a game from Japan.

Not even Kirby gets this treatment.

And they've made the right artist to make a global franchise.
Please art director, don't fuck it up :(

Busaiku

AC is far more appealing to casual players. If the customization options are as plentiful as the series is known for, I think it'll be very successful.

Animal crossing is a FAR bigger franchise than fire emblem. It's basically right up there with nintendos biggest franchises and has performed really well with the casual audience (hence it's popularity on DS and wii).

I think fire emblem will do really well but animal crossing could be very popular as well.
Animal Crossing is a much bigger franchise, there is no doubt about that.
However, it remains to be seen if the average Animal Crossing fan is as willing to bankrupt themselves as Fire Emblem fans. The Animal Crossing amiibo have not been the most successful, for instance.

Totakeke

And they've made the right artist to make a global franchise.
Please art director, don't fuck it up :(

As much as I like the new artist, I'm not sure that has anything to do with making it a global franchise considering PoR/RD almost killed the series and Awakening turned it around. :p

Shengar

As much as I like the new artist, I'm not sure that has anything to do with making it a global franchise considering PoR/RD almost killed the series and Awakening turned it around. :p

Well for me Hidari's design and artwork is less-otaku so that it might appeal more outside the current audience. Her style is actually a good compromise between Senri Kita and Yusuke Kozaki.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
And all I was hoping for was a WiiU port of TMS #FE as I sold my wiiu right before it came out... doesn't matter if it's rubbish I need to play it eventually, maybe digital only??

Maaaaybe? But honestly, that's one game I fully expect to never leave Wii U. For your sake, though, I hope I'm wrong!

patapuf

Animal Crossing is a much bigger franchise, there is no doubt about that.
However, it remains to be seen if the average Animal Crossing fan is as willing to bankrupt themselves as Fire Emblem fans. The Animal Crossing amiibo have not been the most successful, for instance.

I remember the Farmville craze and others of it's ilk.

I have no doubt that people will happily spend money on improving their farm, their home, their avatar...

Busaiku

I remember the Farmville craze and others of it's ilk.

I have no doubt that people will happily spend money on improving their farm, their home, their avatar...
Farmville was years ago, it's not a thing now.
Zynga continues to lose hundreds of millions every year.

Raitaro

Well, let's hope Nintendo can do the same for Advance Wars

And:
Metroid
Donkey Kong (Country)
(granted, this one is came close to being a tentpole IP last two gens but I wonder what will be next if Retro is not carrying the torch)
Punch Out!
F-Zero
Wave Race
Pilotwings
StarTropics
(...right?)
Kid Icarus
(aka THE biggest underrepresented series out of all their back catalogue and the most baffling one for me)

I mean, Fire Emblem is nice and all but the amount of attention it has been getting really stings if you've been waiting on news / games in any of the above series. It's always (Dr.) Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Kirby, Pokemon and now also Pikmin, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem and Splatoon that seem to be garanteed of getting new releases - because of Japanese consumers loving them I assume - while pretty much every other (mostly Western loved) IP needs to have the stars and planets be aligned to get something.

Prove me wrong Nintendo that you're "reading the boards and know what the customers want", just prove me wrong.

Edit: not sure how to count the Star Fox IP now that I think about it as it did get 2 (.5 if counting Guard) new games quite recently even if both were remakes / retellings of older games and also considering that Zero did not really thread new ground except for the controversial - and to many off-putting - control scheme that might have resulted in this series going back in the vault for years.)

Edit 2: Mole Mania represent!

chrono01

And:
Metroid
Donkey Kong (Country)
(granted, this one is came close to being a tentpole IP last two gens but I wonder what will be next if Retro is not carrying the torch)
Punch Out!
F-Zero
Wave Race
Pilotwings
StarTropics
(...right?)
Kid Icarus
(aka THE biggest underrepresented series out of all their back catalogue and the most baffling one for me)

I mean, Fire Emblem is nice and all but the amount of attention it has been getting really stings if you've been waiting on news / games in any of the above series. It's always (Dr.) Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Kirby and now also Pikmin, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem (and Splatoon unless it is too soon to count) that seem to be garanteed of getting new releases - because of Japanese consumers loving them I assume - while pretty much every other (mostly Western loved) IP needs to have the stars and planets be aligned to get something.

Prove me wrong Nintendo that you're "reading the boards and know what the customers want", just prove me wrong.
Where's my Mole Mania sequel!?

animal crossing amiibo wasn't succesful because there wasn't a use for them in a mainline title. I don't know how the market reacted to the welcome amiibo in terms of sales, but with that update the reason to use amiibo was much better than before.

And:
Metroid
Donkey Kong (Country)
Punch Out!
F-Zero
Wave Race
Pilotwings
StarTropics
(...right?)
Kid Icarus

I mean, Fire Emblem is nice and all but the amount of attention it has been getting really stings if you've been waiting on news / games in any of the above series. It's always (Dr.) Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Kirby and now also Pikmin, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem and Splatoon that seem to be garanteed of getting new releases - because of Japanese consumers loving them I assume - while pretty much every other (mostly Western loved) IP needs to have the stars and planets be aligned to get something.

Edit: not sure how to count the Star Fox IP now that I think about it as it did get 2 (.5 if counting Guard) new games quite recently even if both were remakes / retellings of older games and also considering that Zero did not really thread new ground except for the controversial - and to many off-putting - control scheme that might have resulted in this series going back in the vault for years.)

Edit 2: Mole Mania represent!
It helps that Intelligent Systems can handled multiple projects. Plus being the original creators and does Nintendo tell them what too do? They kinda do their own thing I feel

Chrom

The Gamexplain guys pointed out in their discussion, but one of the big takeaways from this Direct is that Nintendo really does see Fire Emblem as a global franchise now.
Heroes, Echoes, and Warriors are all launching simultaneously worldwide. No more waiting 9 months for a game from Japan.

Not even Kirby gets this treatment.

Echoes isn't getting a simultaneous worldwide launch though. It releases in Japan on April 20 and in North America and Europe a month later on May 19.

jholmes

Would've been nice for Nintendo to toss in Shadow Dragon on Wii U Virtual Console or something but that would've been both too easy and something nice for the Wii U. Can't have either of those!

Chrom

Would've been nice for Nintendo to toss in Shadow Dragon on Wii U Virtual Console or something but that would've been both too easy and something nice for the Wii U. Can't have either of those!

Actually, you can. Shadow Dragon's been out on the Wii U Virtual Console everywhere around the world for a while. Enjoy!

jholmes

Actually, you can. Shadow Dragon's been out on the Wii U Virtual Console everywhere around the world for a while. Enjoy!

Oh that came out last month?

OK well how about the hella expensive Wii game? C'mon Nintendo throw the old girl a bone.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Echoes isn't getting a simultaneous worldwide launch though. It releases in Japan on April 20 and in North America and Europe a month later on May 19.

Interesting. I think that supports my theory.

I'm guessing worldwide releases are going to be more common for Nintendo going forward, likely inspired by Switch's region-free status. I suspect this isn't a Fire Emblem thing. We'll see.

Raitaro

It helps that Intelligent Systems can handled multiple projects. Plus being the original creators and does Nintendo tell them what too do? They kinda do their own thing I feel

That is indeed true. Good point. Let's hope this involves more than smaller (though awesome) games like Pushmo or more somewhat lacking Paper Mario's for Switch.

R0ckman

Never played Genealogy, let me check those songs~

*Search for Eldigan The Lionheart~*

!!!

yGiMWMc.gif

😡

Huh I played through it and only liked a handful of tracks favorite being Verdane Army phase theme.

Top Bottom