• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

Hero

Amazing direct, just wish we got Echoes on Switch.

Also does that imply they are willing to do more remakes then?

Yukinari

Im just adding more fuel to this fire but why are they still making ports of new games for 3DS? Dont you want people to buy your device thats literally a console AND a handheld?

Like i can understand making unique games for 3DS because of the install base but we're already getting a Switch port despite the console not being released.

CazTGG

no TMS #FE port. sigh sigh

I know, i'm glad the Switch won't be infected with that game too.

Speaking of bringing back old games, there was more story in that trailer for Shadows of Valentia than there was in Fire Emblem Gaiden. That bodes well...assuming the game's overall writing is good. Much as I enjoyed Fates' refining of the series gameplay, the story was average at best (Birthright), downright insulting at its worst (Conquest) so i'm a touch concerned as to how they'll handle that game's script. Speaking of concerning, the Direct didn't make this clear: Will Echoes: Shadows of Valentia be launching worldwide May 19th? Moreover, is Echoes going to be the brand of which they remake the pre-Rekka entries in the series? If so, here's hoping SoV doesn't flop. If we won't be getting a collection of the older games with official translations, remaking FEs 3-6 under the "Echoes" line is a solid consolation prize.

Would you count Pokémon Sun and Moon as two different games? I'd argue that the first three are all different parts of the same game.

But you don't have to play Sun and Moon to experience the entire story/game. Conquest and Birthright are as different as Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. Yes, they both combine (and with Revelation) to create a much larger story, but maps, story, and actual type of game are drastically different. Whereas Ages and Seasons reflected different styles of zelda games(old school action vs Majora style puzzle solvong), Birthright and Conquest reflect different types of Fire Emblem games (Awakening vs traditional). While they tie together in a larger narrative, they are different games.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm hyped for 2018 Fire Emblem. But I REALLY hope Switch brings back Advance Wars...

Even if it's a remake of the GBA games, just GIMME HD ADVANCE WARS.

Riposte

This is a really negative outlook. You are down on Gaiden because it's a remake, but what they actually showed seems interesting at least. Heroes, while obviously dumbed down for Mobile, seems to keep the core experience intact, and I'm sure it'll be one of the better mobile SRPGs. We now know for sure they are working on FE for Switch, and FE Warriors will likely be similar to Hyrule Warriors, an Omega Force title with lots of FE fan service. Seems good to me.

Well, I definitely have a negative outlook on the future of FE. If FE Fates didn't have Conquest, I'd be even more negative.

Gaiden Remake could be interesting, but I think what they showed confirms my fears of the kind of baggage that comes with the original. It's the black sheep of the franchise for a reason.

Mobile looks more dumbed-down than you are implying. I was hoping for a moment where the screen would zoom out and reveal something of a real map. Maybe this is an advancement for the gacha genre, which I pretty much know nothing about, except for having played Terra Battle and knowing they are very exploitative, like gambling.

Musuo could be neat, but I don't tend to like those games. I didn't touch Hyrule Warriors, but it seemed interesting for what it was. "Lots of FE fanservice" could be fun, but I foresee a lot of FEs getting the same treatment the portable Zelda games did. They might get a few scraps, but if it's completely lopsided towards the essentials of FE1 and a bunch of new stuff - all backed by amiibos - I would find that really off-putting, kind of like... fan dis-service.

RootCause

FE Echoes: Shadow of Valentia (remake of FE Gaiden) launches on 3DS May 19. All the Gaiden weirdness (dungeon crawling, towns, world map) included. Amiibo of the lords, Alm and Celica, available as a 2-pack.

FE Cipher series 9 includes Echoes and FE 6 - 9.

FE Switch announced, no details. Launches 2018.

FE Warriors gameplay shown. It's Warriors but with Chrom. Launches on Switch and New 3DS Fall 2017.

FE Heroes, mobile gacha SPRG. Lots of gameplay shown. Launches February 2nd on Google Play, TBA on iOS.

These are cards correct?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
FE Echoes: Shadow of Valentia (remake of FE Gaiden) launches on 3DS May 19. All the Gaiden weirdness (dungeon crawling, towns, world map) included. Amiibo of the lords, Alm and Celica, available as a 2-pack.

FE Cipher series 9 includes Echoes and FE 6 - 9.

FE Switch announced, no details. Launches 2018.

FE Warriors gameplay shown. It's Warriors but with Chrom. Launches on Switch and New 3DS Fall 2017.

FE Heroes, mobile gacha SPRG. Lots of gameplay shown. Launches February 2nd on Google Play, TBA on iOS.
Hnnnng
bVAQSJT.png

LordKano

Man, if they announce an Animal Crossing Direct, I won't be able to not over-speculate on the games, with that kind of expectations.

I know, i'm glad the Switch won't be infected with that game too.

Speaking of bringing back old games, there was more story in that trailer for Shadows of Valentia than there was in Fire Emblem Gaiden. That bodes well...assuming the game's overall writing is good. Much as I enjoyed Fates' refining of the series gameplay, the story was average at best (Birthright), downright insulting at its worst (Conquest) so i'm a touch concerned as to how they'll handle that game's script. Speaking of concerning, the Direct didn't make this clear: Will Echoes: Shadows of Valentia be launching worldwide May 19th? Moreover, is Echoes going to be the brand of which they remake the pre-Rekka entries in the series? If so, here's hoping SoV doesn't flop. If we won't be getting a collection of the older games with official translations, remaking FEs 3-6 under the "Echoes" line is a solid consolation prize.
That's what the "Echoes" title seems to imply, which would be really nice. Series isn't new to remakes, but I'd love to see some more remakes of the older, Japan only games.

As for the story in SoV...we'll see? Fates certainly doesn't inspire confidence, but the trailer seemed promising.

jph139

Honestly this whole Direct was like, "close but no cigar" for me.

Fire Emblem remake coming out in four months! ...but it's for the 3DS.
Fire Emblem amiibo! ...but it's a two-pack, and I only want one of them.
Fire Emblem Warriors out this Fall, looks great! ...but Warriors gameplay isn't for me.
Fire Emblem Mobile out in two weeks! ...but it has a god-awful artstyle.
Fire Emblem Switch announced! ...but with absolutely no details.

Kind of crazy that there's three FE games out this year and I'm not really interested in any of them. Fingers crossed for 2018, though!

Watched the conference, that was pretty great.

I had to laugh at the narrators disappointment at getting Olivia instead of Lon Qu, and then watching Lon Qu get wrecked when he finally gets him.

That would definitely require some rework since the gamepad is so essential in the game.

I wouldn't think it would need that much rework. Just, say, make the L button call up your cell phone and then all you have to do is put the battle info on the main screen like it generally is in console RPG battles.

Josh5890

Is anyone else concerned that they're leaning into Fire Emblem a little hard now-a-days? I'm afraid we're gonna hit some franchise fatigue soon. I mean, in 36 months, we'll have had 8 Fire Emblem games. Think about it: from last January until the end of 2018 when Fire Emblem Switch is supposed to be out, Nintendo will have released the following games:

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Heroes
Fire Emblem Echoes
Fire Emblem for Switch

This is a lot of titles in a single IP to release in 3 years...

Well it would've been nice if one of those games was a new Golden Sun game, it is nice to see that Nintendo has a strong JRPG IP.

Verelios

Watched the conference, that was pretty great.

I had to laugh at the narrators disappointment at getting Olivia instead of Lon Qu, and then watching Lon Qu get wrecked when he finally gets him.
Best put respeck in that tone when talking about my boy Lon'Qu, lest you get a 2%crit chance on a 5% hit probability every time you play.

vareon

A newish Fire Emblem in 2 weeks, then in May, in Fall we get Warriors, and next year (hopefully around Feb/March since Awakening and Fates are those dates) a next Fire Emblem.

Drowning in happiness.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well it would've been nice if one of those games was a new Golden Sun game, it is nice to see that Nintendo has a strong JRPG IP.

The DS game proved that it's lost all its power, not just critically but commercially. They have plenty of JRPG IPs stronger than Golden Sun.

chrono01

You're welcome. One Tharja fan to another. :D
Hmm, for some reason the transparency doesn't show when I apply it to my profile as my avatar, yet it does in the post you made. Really strange, it even shows up as transparent on the image preview but not when I try to apply the picture as my avatar on NeoGAF.

Thanks anyway though! I'll just continue using the first one you made. Also, really cool to see another Tharja fan. I know we are many, but still!

Cerium

FE warriors... mobile.... should I expect something else? I honestly have not a clue.

aaaa

NoA twitter calls it "A Fire Emblem Direct", so it's not just warriors. I think.

Gaiden remake soon, right?

Holy crap someone called it.

Ah...

Well, I'm sure a TMS will come eventually. Way too many people missed out on buying that game.

I'm guessing they're holding back to bring attention to what's new. I strongly believe that these first two years of Switch are going to be supplemented by Wii U ports, but Nintendo is probably holding back on announcing more ports (such as the notable omission of Smash) until a bit after the system is released.

Gaspard

Hmm, for some reason the transparency doesn't show when I apply it to my profile as my avatar, yet it does in the post you made. Really strange, it even shows up as transparent on the image preview but not when I try to apply the picture as my avatar on NeoGAF.

Thanks anyway though! I'll just continue using the first one you made. Also, really cool to see another Tharja fan. I know we are many, but still!

Just found out the issue, I made the image too big.

Oopsie poopsie.

BSJFHen.png

^here's the fixed version

Top Bottom