• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

Whatever it is, it better have Nephenee in it.

latest

Nah. Ephraim will probably take the slot of lance foot solider, so she's out of luck.

edit: That is, if the radiant duology is even included in the base game. They only showed weapons from Marth (shadow dragon/etc), Chrom/Lucinas falcion , and Fates (Corrins Yato, Xander and Ryomas weapons), so those might be the focus. Which would suck, though I'd also bet the game has DLC packs from other parts of the series if they went that route, in the same way the Hyrule Warriors DLC packs focused on other titles not in the base game.

You know I wouldn't mind a translated VC release of the FEs that never made it here from Japan like they did with EarthBound Beginnings.

I mean it's weird Nintendo hasn't released any of the Super Famicom titles overseas in any form yet.

You know I wouldn't mind a translated VC release of the FEs that never made it here from Japan like they did with EarthBound Beginnings.

I mean it's weird Nintendo hasn't released any of the Super Famicom titles overseas in any form yet.

Western reaction to shadow dragon on DS was bad, with a fair amount of people thinking it's the worst fire emblem game in the series (me included, at least of the English releases).

That'd have put me off releasing all the earlier games completely. Maybe FE6 could happen one day, but I'd probably have written 1-5 off completely if I was Nintendo. And they probably did, given they didn't even bring over the DS port of FE3.

Western reaction to shadow dragon on DS was bad, with a fair amount of people thinking it's the worst fire emblem game in the series (me included, at least of the English releases).

That'd have put me off releasing all the earlier games completely. Maybe FE6 could happen one day, but I'd probably have written 1-5 off completely if I was Nintendo. And they probably did, given they didn't even bring over the DS port of FE3.

Yeah, but a VC release is a different story instead of a semi remake with a full price tag.

I'd hardly think the original Earth Bound for the NES was in high demand either yet even it got a release.

TDLink

Did they say Fire Emblem direct, or FE Warriors? I'm wondering if maybe they'll reveal the FE mobile game too.
They said it's a Fire Emblem direct and we'll get info on Fire Emblem warriors. Therefore FE warriors will definitely be part of the direct, but not the only thing.

TDLink

Odds of a proper Fire Emblem Switch announcement?
Low unless it's some sort of port of Fates with everything included.

Warriors is confirmed. I think the mobile game makes sense to show. Other than that I think the only possibility are ports. Fates and/or #FE. New Amiibo maybe?

L95

Odds of a proper Fire Emblem Switch announcement?

I feel like if this were the case they would have announced FE15 on the switch stream then revealed warriors at the direct, not the other way 'round. I personally don't think we'll hear of FE15 just yet.

idk tho

Yeah, but a VC release is a different story instead of a semi remake with a full price tag.

I'd hardly think the original Earth Bound for the NES was in high demand either yet even it got a release.

Earthbound beginnings/Mother 1 was also already translated decades ago, they just never released it, if I remember rightly.

I doubt that's the case for any of the Fire Emblems.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I feel like this will hold very little value for me since I missed the 2 3DS games...

I would really love a HD Switch Port of Awakening and IF...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Low unless it's some sort of port of Fates with everything included.

Warriors is confirmed. I think the mobile game makes sense to show. Other than that I think the only possibility are ports. Fates and/or #FE. New Amiibo maybe?

Any chance we might see a cross-platform thing? Release it as both mobile and Switch game, with save transfers between both?

I'd buy that.

TDLink

Any chance we might see a cross-platform thing? Release it as both mobile and Switch game, with save transfers between both?

I'd buy that.
I find it unlikely. Nintendo still doesn't want to put their "real" games on mobile. They seem to want to use their mobile offerings to generate interest in the IP which they hope will convince people to buy their hardware and get the next real game.

To their credit it seems to have worked with pokemon go and sun/moon

I'd buy that.

That'd imply/require that it'll be a proper fire emblem game on mobile.

That hasn't been the case with Mario (Run vs NSMB), Tomodachi (Miitomo vs Life) or Pokemon (Go vs SM),

I very much doubt it'll be the case for Fire Emblem mobile.

Given the previous games it'll either be a full game but in some other tangentially related way that is more suited to mobile (I'm still thinking Gacha RPG), or a very fire emblem lite experience, to try and push people to go buy the proper thing (Fates or Fire Emblem Warriors, depending on release timing).

Piers

I honestly figured development was too early to even show anything substantial given it ends on a very brief half-shot of Chrom.

Hindl

I honestly figured development was too early to even show anything substantial given it ends on a very brief half-shot of Chrom.

Well if they knew that they were having a full direct dedicated to it, all they needed to do was announce it since they'd have plenty of time to show it off. So that's why it was just a teaser

Earthbound Beginnings only happened because the translation was done all the way back in 1990 and had just been withheld until that point, so dumping it onto VC one day was a cheap no-brainer. No such thing was ever done for the old FE games, and Nintendo ain't wasting a bunch of money to translate a bunch of niche, text heavy strategy games from the 90s that they're only gonna sell for $5-$10 bucks a pop (this is also the reason Mother 3 is never happening).

Piers

Well if they knew that they were having a full direct dedicated to it, all they needed to do was announce it since they'd have plenty of time to show it off. So that's why it was just a teaser

That still doesn't seem right. If they were going to show off footage for it in the following Direct, it's odd to only ever show a tiny snippet of Chrom pulling out his sword. That smells of "We've literally only just started production so here's a very brief shot"

L95

Earthbound Beginnings only happened because the translation was done all the way back in 1990 and had just been withheld until that point, so dumping it onto VC one day was a cheap no-brainer. No such thing was ever done for the old FE games, and Nintendo ain't wasting a bunch of money to translate a bunch of niche, text heavy strategy games from the 90s that they're only gonna sell for $5-$10 bucks a pop (this is also the reason Mother 3 is never happening).

Hey, long ago (like in 2002) NoA said they wanted to release FE6 in English so maybe there's a secret English FE6 hanging around somewhere

That still doesn't seem right. If they were going to show off footage for it in the following Direct, it's odd to only ever show a tiny snippet of Chrom pulling out his sword. That smells of "We've literally only just started production so here's a very brief shot"

Video description says it's out late this year, dunno if that's normal dev time for these games, if they just started, tho

I don't like Warrior games, but this is a crossover that makes a lot of sense to me, I'll probably get it because I really like Fire Emblem!

Dee Dee

Video description says it's out late this year, dunno if that's normal dev time for these games, if they just started, tho

Didn't they announce Hyrule Warriors the same year it came out? The very first footage didn't even have a logo, and looked a bit janky - but they turned it around pretty quick it seems.

I guess KT might be able to crank out a Musou within a year, even if they just recently started.

Fake Edit: Looked it up: Hyrule Warriors was announced in December 2013, and released in August 2014 (Japan).

I agree, if they had more to show, they probably would have shown it at the conference?
We might see Chrom in action though, with some generic Musou footage.

Thud

Excited for this, as hyrule warriors was amazing. It's finally Chrom's chance to shine.

They have to be creative about certain characters. Lucina needs different moves from Marth and probably a redesign if they put her in.

they wanted to reveal gamplay at the direct.
Didn't they announce Hyrule Warriors the same year it came out? The very first footage didn't even have a logo, and looked a bit janky - but they turned it around pretty quick it seems.

I guess KT might be able to crank out a Musou within a year, even if they just recently started.

Fake Edit: Looked it up: Hyrule Warriors was announced in December 2013, and released in August 2014 (Japan).

I agree, if they had more to show, they probably would have shown it at the conference?
the turnaround time of musous is ridiculously short. I am actually really surprised that they never bothered to make Zelda Musou 2
Nah. Ephraim will probably take the slot of lance foot solider, so she's out of luck.

edit: That is, if the radiant duology is even included in the base game. They only showed weapons from Marth (shadow dragon/etc), Chrom/Lucinas falcion , and Fates (Corrins Yato, Xander and Ryomas weapons), so those might be the focus. Which would suck, though I'd also bet the game has DLC packs from other parts of the series if they went that route, in the same way the Hyrule Warriors DLC packs focused on other titles not in the base game.

Musou lives from character variety (because the gameplay itself remains quite dull). they will thankfully include anyone that is possible

L95

I need this

Is it GBA animation time, I love Zephiel's, its so ridiculous I'm pretty sure 50% of FE6's animation budget went into Roy's Sword of Seals animation and Zephiel's animation

wtv3xPi.gif

also they must faithfully retain Zephiel being like eight feet tall. (also Nergal who is also silly tall in his animation.)

vareon

It's actually Fire Emblem Direct (not just Warriors), right?

I'd be happy with anything Fire Emblem:

- Fire Emblem Mobile
- FE Warriors actual trailer
- Hint or tease for Switch FE
- More VC releases?

Even if just one of them is detailed this week I'm fine.

Because it's not a launch window game and they had plans to show off more footage a week later during an FE Direct?

I had no clue about anything about this so that's a shame.

I guess I could see them doing Radiant Dawn and POR at the very least.

Zedark

I'm kinda new to this direct show practice of Nintendo. What do they generally do during such directs in terms of announcements? We know of the existence of the FE Warriors game and the mobile game, so I guess they will show those off. Would it be reasonable or unreasonable to expect an announcement beyond those two games, for example a true Switch FE game and/or a (VC) port or remaster?

vareon

I'm kinda new to this direct show practice of Nintendo. What do they generally do during such directs in terms of announcements? We know of the existence of the FE Warriors game and the mobile game, so I guess they will show those off. Would it be reasonable or unreasonable to expect an announcement beyond those two games, for example a true Switch FE game and/or a (VC) port or remaster?

Usually for a single game direct, they show the game in-depth and nothing else. But they haven't said if this is a Fire Emblem Warriors direct or a Fire Emblem direct in general. Keep in mind they never made a mobile game direct so far either.

duckroll

I'm calling it.

- Fire Emblem mobile
- Final FE 3DS game
- FE Warriors preview
- FE body pillows for redemption on Nintendo Account

LordKano

I'd expect only the mobile game. I don't know why they would have kept the Warriors game for the direct instead of showing a full trailer on the Switch presentation.

Let me predict:

- FE Mobile game
- FE Musou
- FE remaster(s) on switch

I'd expect only the mobile game. I don't know why they would have kept the Warriors game for the direct instead of showing a full trailer on the Switch presentation.

I respectfully disagree. Nintendo's mobile strategy is to use smartphone apps to strengthen their brand recognition. I bet both Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing have at least one game being worked on. They will only talk about the mobile game once the "main" game is ready to be revealed / reveal together.

I'm calling it.

- Fire Emblem mobile
- Final FE 3DS game
- FE Warriors preview
- FE body pillows for redemption on Nintendo Account
Subscribing to Nintendo Online service will allow you to get one pillow every month but Nintendo will take the pillow back

Dee Dee

A general direct will usually have a surprise or two (mostly small stuff), but a game related or in this case IP related direct usually just talks about the announced upcoming stuff - not to mean there couldn't be surprising reveals about them too.
VC ports will probably not be talked about, it seems they don't want to disclose any stuff about how VC is handled on Switch yet - maybe something for Wii U / 3DS VC though.
And personally I think it's super unlikely that they announce a true Switch Fire Emblem game with this, they surely would have put a teaser on that in the main conference, seeing how big the IP is at this point. If anything, they'll vaguely acknowledge that they are working on "bringing the fans more Fire Emblem in the future".

- Final FE 3DS game

Oh, that's a good point though!

Top Bottom