• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

Kraq

I wouldn't mind an Awakening port on Switch. I've got into FE fairly recently and trying to hunt down that game for a reasonable price has been annoying.

I'm hoping for an announcement along the lines of an FE4 remake or completely new game altogether. I can see them releasing it on 3DS (FE5 came out on SNES well into the N64's life), but at this point I just want a glorious HD Fire Emblem complete with all the bells and whistles.

Hero

Why is Tharja so extremely well endowed in the one card art? She's not that busty.

Also I could totally see one last Fire Emblem game on 3DS, but if so I would hope there's a Switch version. I want to be done with 3DS. I

Platy

Where was Fire Emblem WiiU then?

55p45xW.png

They could re-release this game forever and I will keep paying to see those beautiful sprites

But jokes aside, Fire Emblem became a portable franchise on the 3ds ... and everything will end up on the switch someday so who knows ?

Draxal

Why is Tharja so extremely well endowed in the one card art? She's not that busty.

Also I could totally see one last Fire Emblem game on 3DS, but if so I would hope there's a Switch version. I want to be done with 3DS. I

Because of the artist, don't google his work.

duckroll

I think they will.

But I think it will be cross-gen.

That would be interesting. It would either mean the most portable-tier Switch game Nintendo has announced so far, or the most substantial leap in FE production values since it rebooted itself with Awakening.

I recall them specifically avoiding home consoles due to the performance of RD. I think this was in an interview or something? I admit, I don't recall exactly what or where though.

Right so why would they suddenly be rushing a Switch game out when it is currently still positioned as a home console, judging by Nintendo's 2017 output for it?

Nintendo would be so dumb if they announced a new FE game for the 3DS only. This Direct should have the FE mobile game, FE Warriors and if they announce a new FE game it has to be 3DS/Switch or just Switch.

L95

Right so why would they suddenly be rushing a Switch game out when it is currently still positioned as a home console, judging by Nintendo's 2017 output for it?

I... dunno? I didn't particularly think we were getting a mainline FE switch game for a while yet.

duckroll

Nintendo would be so dumb if they announced a new FE game for the 3DS only. This Direct should have the FE mobile game, FE Warriors and if they announce a new FE game it has to be 3DS/Switch or just Switch.

You mean like how Atlus is about to announce a new 3DS SMT game? So dumb!

Draxal

One of the reasons Awakening/Kakusei was so successful was it came out at an opportune time when the 3DSs lineup was barren.

I do think they're also hesitant to release a game on a dying system like they did with Thracia 776(although that one was incredibly late).

I do think the mobile title is taking most of the attention right now though.

its called Tokyo Mirage Sessions
You mean like how Atlus is about to announce a new 3DS SMT game? So dumb!

3DS and switch

Also Nintendo is the platform holder while Atlus is a third party so the consideration to release a game to a specific platform is different
One of the reasons Awakening/Kakusei was so successful was it came out at an opportune time when the 3DSs lineup was barren.

I do think they're also hesitant to release a game on a dying system like they did with Thracia 776(although that one was incredibly late).

I do think the mobile title is taking most of the attention right now though.

which is a shame. I hate Nintendo wasting their development efforts on mobile. Mario Run was like Okay that took them maybe one month but Fire Emblem hurts

I really hope they just port it to switch

Vena

That would be interesting. It would either mean the most portable-tier Switch game Nintendo has announced so far, or the most substantial leap in FE production values since it rebooted itself with Awakening.

I was thinking more that it'd be a 3DS game, largely, and then just rendered at higher resolution for the Switch. Kind of like how you can render Pokemon S/M at higher res and it comes out quite nice. Bravely Default too.

That was more what I had in mind.

Strings

You're not wrong :p The series was looking at cancellation with Awakening though, so it would have been kind of suicidal to release a Wii U title. Fates was trying to keep the plate spinning, so it went to 3DS by default too.

Announcing it as a mobile title makes it seem like they're way more confident in the IP now at least.

Disliking prepromotes in 2017

I know it doesn't make sense with the way classes work nowadays, but meh, I still can't stand them :p Old habits die hard.

Plus, reclassing makes every unit feel way less special :(

Porting something like FE:Fates to Switch would be good experience for them to test stuff for the eventual Fire Emblem game they would make. You don't need the full team to do the port but alot of art would have to be redone which is a ton of work.

duckroll

its called Tokyo Mirage Sessions

And that came out at the end of the WiiU's lifespan. Not at the start.

3DS and switch

Also Nintendo is the platform holder while Atlus is a third party so the consideration to release a game to a specific platform is different

They just announced Fire Emblem Warriors for Switch. Just like Atlus announced SMT for the Switch. 3DS is next!

I was thinking more that it'd be a 3DS game, largely, and then just rendered at higher resolution for the Switch. Kind of like how you can render Pokemon S/M at higher res and it comes out quite nice. Bravely Default too.

That was more what I had in mind.

I can see that. It would be an interesting experiment. In any case, they might end up announcing nothing surprising at all on Wednesday, so we'll see. Lol.

Draxal

which is a shame. I hate Nintendo wasting their development efforts on mobile. Mario Run was like Okay that took them maybe one month but Fire Emblem hurts

I really hope they just port it to switch

I honestly think fire emblem is a gold mine on mobile, I think there are alot of Nintendo fans that have the potential to be whales, and Int Sys knows that the Fire Emblem fan base will jump in, Awakenings awful dlc pricing is imho was a test run.

And that came out at the end of the WiiU's lifespan. Not at the start.

They just announced Fire Emblem Warriors for Switch.[/QUOTE]
I see FE Warriors as a musou game rather than a Fire Emblem game.

Just like Atlus announced SMT for the Switch. 3DS is next!
3DS just got Mario Maker and gets Yoshis Wooly World... dont be so needy ;)
I honestly think fire emblem is a gold mine on mobile, I think there are alot of Nintendo fans that have the potential to be whales, and Int Sys knows that the Fire Emblem fan base will jump in, Awakenings awful dlc pricing is imho was a test run.

sure it will be a gold mine. buy all the waifus for 300 yen each

oh you want a wedding dress to officially upgrade the class to waifu? gotta pay 1000 yen per character

Want to touch the characters? That costs you 100 yen per 30 min session.

Am I really the only one who believes they could announce a 3DS FE this week? It's been two years since they announced FE Fates. Seems about right in terms of dev cycle?

I would be nothing but shocked if that were the case. It would imply that Reggie told the truth when he said the 3DS wouldn't go anywhere. On the other hand, trying to sway the recent FE fanbase to become earlyish adopters of the Switch by not only releasing spin-offs would also make too much business sense.

Vena

I can see that. It would be an interesting experiment. In any case, they might end up announcing nothing surprising at all on Wednesday, so we'll see. Lol.

I guess I'd be surprised at that unless FEWarriors comes out at launch or something. Hyrule Warriors had its direct one month before launch. But I guess this is more general so it may not follow similar rules but... fact that its general means *something* is going to be announced.

Franz Brötchen;228457340 said:
I would be nothing but shocked if that were the case. It would imply that Reggie told the truth when he said the 3DS wouldn't go anywhere. On the other hand, trying to sway the recent FE fanbase to become earlyish adopters of the Switch by not only releasing spin-offs would also make too much business sense.

I feel like the next FE, even as just a 3DS game, is too big of a project to stay on the 3DS. Everything for the 3DS for the future (as far as I can recall) is smaller projects, spin-offs, or ports. So a whole new FE game exclusive to the 3DS would be a bit of a shocker.

Draxal

I guess I'd be surprised at that unless FEWarriors comes out at launch or something. Hyrule Warriors had its direct one month before launch. But I guess this is more general so it may not follow similar rules but... fact that its general means *something* is going to be announced.

We know warriors will be discussed.

While incredibly doubtful, you can announce a Cipher western release (was this direct even confirmed for Japan?)

Mobile is likely to be discussed.

PoR virtual console is likely at this point as well.

Vena

We know warriors will be discussed.

While incredibly doubtful, you can announce a Cipher western release (was this direct even confirmed for Japan?)

Mobile is likely to be discussed.

PoR virtual console is likely at this point as well.

Well, the current time of airing is like 7AM in Japan, so maybe this is only for the west... but what the heck would be "west only"? And would you really discuss mobile with western audiences only?

Draxal

Well, the current time of airing is like 7AM in Japan, so maybe this is only for the west... but what the heck would be "west only"? And would you really discuss mobile with western audiences only?

I don't think Japan would care about a cipher Western release.

guek

Banned
A 3DS/Switch dual platform game would be nice but I can't see it happening. A Switch version would have to look substantially better but they probably wouldn't want to charge $40 for it in that case.

Am I really the only one who believes they could announce a 3DS FE this week? It's been two years since they announced FE Fates. Seems about right in terms of dev cycle?

I think a Switch title would just make more sense. Based on the dev cycle for Fates, another Fire Emblem game would probably be early 2018 or so, if not later, and I'm not sure they'd be wanting to push out a 3DS game at that point.

A Switch title for later in 2018 seems like a more likely option. Especially with them already prepping a Fire Emblem spinoff for the system in its first year, and the franchise being a growth franchise for Nintendo right now.

Chrom

The Direct was only announced for the North American audience. You'll find no information about it from NoE or NCL, which I can vouch has left Japanese fans in particular confused.

Strings

Kind of an ignorant question, but the Live Screen rubbing shit in Fates. Is that the kind of tech they can use going forward? I refuse to believe they built all that just to rub waifus.

Vena

The Direct was only announced for the North American audience. You'll find no information about it from NoE or NCL, which I can vouch has left Japanese fans in particular confused.

Was it actually officially announced or was it just a Treehouse mention?

Then isn't TMS just an Atlus RPG rather than a Fire Emblem game? Be consistent!

MuSou at this point is just the same game over and over with varying skins (One Piece, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Berserk, Hokuto you name it)

TMS is a genuine attempt to mix formulas of FE and Persona. I would agree that its closer to Persona than to FE but its still a lot more FE then what FE Warriors probably will be.

Moonlight

Banned
sure it will be a gold mine. buy all the waifus for 300 yen each

oh you want a wedding dress to officially upgrade the class to waifu? gotta pay 1000 yen per character

Want to touch the characters? That costs you 100 yen per 30 min session.
Way too straightforward. Look at pretty much every other successful character-based gacha. Most characters will be available via rolling (3000 yen worth of in-game currency per 10). Every week there will be a higher chance to obtain a featured character over the others (at a rate of 5% versus 2.5%). During special events highly limited versions of popular characters are made available or the rates for rarer characters go up.

I fully expect something taken straight out of Granblue, which wouldn't be worst case. But the above is what'll make the game a gold mine, not nickle and diming like that.

Top Bottom