• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

L95

The Direct was only announced for the North American audience. You'll find no information about it from NoE or NCL, which I can vouch has left Japanese fans in particular confused.

huuuh. I didn't know this...

I also am now very confused and curious. More than usual, anyway.

Then isn't TMS just an Atlus RPG rather than a Fire Emblem game? Be consistent!

Way too straightforward. Look at pretty much every other successful character-based gacha. Most characters will be available via rolling (3000 yen worth of in-game currency per 10). Every week there will be a higher chance to obtain a featured character over the others (at a rate of 5% versus 2.5%). During special events highly limited versions of popular characters are made available or the rates for rarer characters go up.

I fully expect something taken straight out of Granblue, which wouldn't be worst case. But the above is what'll make the game a gold mine, not nickle and diming like that.
With real permadeath

duckroll

MuSou at this point is just the same game over and over with varying skins (One Piece, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Berserk, Hokuto you name it)

TMS is a genuine attempt to mix formulas of FE and Persona. I would agree that its closer to Persona than to FE but its still a lot more FE then what FE Warriors probably will be.

That just sounds like "I don't like this series but I like that other series, so one crossover counts but the other doesn't" sort of reductiveness. It's not based on facts but ~feeling~.

Strings

Live 2D is not created by IS.

Sorry, I meant as in, could that tech be used for attack animations and the like? I've only ever seen it used for idle animations in Summon Night 5, etc. Is it somewhere they can go with a Switch FE, or is that impractical?

MuSou at this point is just the same game over and over with varying skins (One Piece, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Berserk, Hokuto you name it)

TMS is a genuine attempt to mix formulas of FE and Persona. I would agree that its closer to Persona than to FE but its still a lot more FE then what FE Warriors probably will be.
I would expect FE Musou to have at least some unique elements inspired by the franchise. Both Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes have, and they are the only game-based Warriors spinoffs. The anime ones all play exactly like Dynasty Warriors because they don't have unique gameplay mechanics and identity...seeing as they are anime.

spiritfox

Sorry, I meant as in, could that tech be used for attack animations and the like? I've only ever seen it used for idle animations in Summon Night 5, etc. Is it somewhere they can go with a Switch FE, or is that impractical?

It's basically 2D pictures, so unless they go that route no.

Way too straightforward. Look at pretty much every other successful character-based gacha. Most characters will be available via rolling (3000 yen worth of in-game currency per 10). Every week there will be a higher chance to obtain a featured character over the others (at a rate of 5% versus 2.5%). During special events highly limited versions of popular characters are made available or the rates for rarer characters go up.

I fully expect something taken straight out of Granblue, which wouldn't be worst case. But the above is what'll make the game a gold mine, not nickle and diming like that.

Exactly what I am expecting. The sad truth is that at some point at the very least DeNA will push for at least one aggressively monetized title. Calling it now:

- Jan. 19th, 60 pages and counting: 'I have the feeling Nintendo has lost its soul...'
- Jan. 23rd: Nintendo stock not only regaining Switch presentation losses, but on track to reach Pokémon GO high point
- Jan. 25th: Kotaku quotes GAF and other forum's sentiment of fan betrayal, Reggie responding with 'something, something... How else do you expect us to make another F-Zero??'

I would expect FE Musou to have at least some unique elements inspired by the franchise. Both Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes have, and they are the only game-based Warriors spinoffs. The anime ones all play exactly like Dynasty Warriors because they don't have unique gameplay mechanics and identity...seeing as they are anime.

Critical hits and weapon triangle plz

That just sounds like "I don't like this series but I like that other series, so one crossover counts but the other doesn't" sort of reductiveness. It's not based on facts but ~feeling~.

I actually enjoy me some musou
Franz Brötchen;228458376 said:
Exactly what I am expecting. The sad truth is that at some point at the very least DeNA will push for at least one aggressively monetized title. Calling it now:

- Jan. 19th, 60 pages and counting: 'I have the feeling Nintendo has lost its soul...'
- Jan. 23rd: Nintendo stock not only regaining Switch presentation losses, but on track to reach Pokémon GO high point
- Jan. 25th: Kotaku quotes GAF and other forum's sentiment of fan betrayal, Reggie responding with 'something, something... How else do you expect us to make another F-Zero??'

Man Id enjoy a FE based MOBA

Is that genre on mobiles?

Critical hits and weapon triangle plz

I actually enjoy me some musou

Man Id enjoy a FE based MOBA

Is that genre on mobiles?
There are mobile MOBAs, but I highly doubt the FE mobile game will be one. I expect an SRPG with Gacha mechanics. There is a game called Phantom of the Kill on mobile, which is basically an FE inspired SRPG with Gacha characters. That's what I'm betting the FE mobile title will be. Or maybe a card game

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would be pretty shocked if they went for another 3DS FE game over a Switch version. Just seems like a bad call to me. Sure it will sell well but it likely won't push units, which a Switch version would definitely help to do. And that system needs it.

In my mind an FE Switch would be a larger title for them in the 2018 lineup. Cause for this year we have the possibility of all of their major titles coming out with Zelda, Mario, MK, Splatoon and still possibly SSB and Pokemon. 2018 is then what? Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Yoshi? Kirby? Metroid? Luigi's something. They're all great franchise but outside of AC they're not huge system sellers or even big sellers themselves like the 2017 crew is. FE is a rising star that they need to leverage and build up.

Warriors is interesting but just like Hyrule Warriors I don't see it lighting up the charts. It's a great Fan game, but you need the real thing too.

Shirke

There are mobile MOBAs, but I highly doubt the FE mobile game will be one. I expect an SRPG with Gacha mechanics. There is a game called Phantom of the Kill on mobile, which is basically an FE inspired SRPG with Gacha characters. That's what I'm betting the FE mobile title will be. Or maybe a card game

A Granblue type Gacha and character system where you only need to get one copy of the character is probably one of the best systems in terms of consumer friendliness, no need for multiple copies of the same character to upgrade or anything, just got to fight against the low droprate, which now they publicly reveal following the whole Anchira-Scandal.

Phantom of the Kill is pretty much what I expect from a Gacha Fire Emblem, but it was plagued with technical issues, poor models and animations, along with the Gachaness being taken too far in terms of character and weapon strength, plus spending currency on breakable weapons is not fun. If the Fire Emblem mobile game uses the 3DS models, I'd be pretty happy.

A Granblue type Gacha and character system where you only need to get one copy of the character is probably one of the best systems in terms of consumer friendliness, no need for multiple copies of the same character to upgrade or anything, just got to fight against the low droprate, which now they publicly reveal following the whole Anchira-Scandal.

Phantom of the Kill is pretty much what I expect from a Gacha Fire Emblem, but it was plagued with technical issues, poor models and animations, along with the Gachaness being taken too far in terms of character and weapon strength, plus spending currency on breakable weapons is not fun. If the Fire Emblem mobile game uses the 3DS models, I'd be pretty happy.
Phantom of the Kill isn't a good game, and I would totally expect an FE mobile game to be way better in terms of consumer friendliness and performance/balance. I'm just saying I think the general genre/basic design would be the same. PotK is a blatant rip off of FE as is

Shengar

Warriors is interesting but just like Hyrule Warriors I don't see it lighting up the charts. It's a great Fan game, but you need the real thing too.

It still a good title to fill up the library. As much as it looks niche, Hyrule Warriors actually managed to shipped 1 million copies on the Wii U as of 2015 (probably already sold that much unit as of now).

Some Nobody

An American only Direct? Is there anything Japan has that we don't? And is that something worth a Direct? If not, I have to assume Japan and other regions will see that Direct announced Tuesday?

After doing some Googling...Holy crap. Fates sold nearly two million worldwide on physical copies alone?! Alright, I take it back--I'm no longer surprised that Nintendo would give FE its own Direct. And if it DOES get announced for Japan then I fully expect:

- Fire Emblem Warriors information, with a potential release date and gameplay.
- Fire Emblem mobile, same thing.
- Fire Emblem 13. Could be 3DS and they could try and sell a crapload one last time before moving on to the Switch. Or it could be Switch-only since it's proven itself to be a money maker. Or they could do cross-gen, and I'm betting we get another dual release since Fates did so well with that. They might even give each one separate benefits/storylines and put one on each system, though that'd be pretty evil.

Either way, I'm just gonna ride the hype train for once unless there's no Japanese direct confirmed by Tuesday.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It still a good title to fill up the library. As much as it looks niche, Hyrule Warriors actually managed to shipped 1 million copies on the Wii U as of 2015 (probably already sold that much unit as of now).

For sure, it sold very well and was totally worth the investment by all parties and I think FE Warriors is a great move. The two franchises are very well paired, probably more so than Zelda was. But when it comes down to it it is not a replacement for the real franchise which has much more potential.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually played their various musou games, I see.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
If this is North America only...I have no idea what it could be. NA already got all the Fates DLC, yeah? Even if Fates and Hyrule Warriors sold best in North America (I don't know if either of them did), it would be weird to talk about FE Mobile and Warriors in an exclusive Direct unless North America is getting them first.

This is weird. What could it possibly be? Unless it's a localization of the earlier FE games...but I'd expect that localization of Virtual Console FE games to be saved for Switch. Though I guess they could put them on 3DS, given that's where the audience has proven to be.

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually played their various musou games, I see.

Lets see

Dynasty Warriors 3 (Japanese 3) on PS2
Battle Houshin on GC
Sengoku Musou 3 on Wii
Sengoku Basara 3 on Wii
Hokuto Musou
Onepiece Musou on PS3
Zelda Musou on WiiU
Musou Orochi on WiiU
DQ Musou on PS4

But I admit that I probably played like 5 hours for each game in average

So I'm guessing
Fire Emblem Warriors Gameplay Reveal (Too early?)
Fire Emblem Mobile Reveal
Fire Emblem Fates HD (I hope)

How about Fire Emblem Fates HD: Complete Edition?

Honestly my bet is on first gameplay of Fire Emblem Antithesis (I mean, Musou's are the Call of Duty of the Japanese game industry at this point. Practically Assembly-Line game design, I can't imagine it being too far off) and the reveal of Fire Emblem Mobagemu.

I think if there's a secret FE game announcement, it'll be a remake of one of the older games on 3DS. IS don't mind releasing FEs on hardware really late into its lifecycle. Switch FE will be a brand new game, but it probably won't appear until next year.

I'm thinking Genealogy and Thracia in one package. Small chance of Binding Blade.

Some Nobody

I think if there's a secret FE game announcement, it'll be a remake of one of the older games on 3DS. IS don't mind releasing FEs on hardware really late into its lifecycle. Switch FE will be a brand new game, but it probably won't appear until next year.

I'm thinking Genealogy and Thracia in one package. Small chance of Binding Blade.

A remake of FE4 and 5 that's tweaked for better gameplay (Thracia had some silliness to it, I recall) would be fantastic. I'd be bummed if it were 3DS only though, 'cause the ship has sailed for me buying one.

So I'm guessing
Fire Emblem Warriors Gameplay Reveal (Too early?)
Fire Emblem Mobile Reveal
Fire Emblem Fates HD (I hope)

Y'know, it'd be the stupidest thing ever if they showed that teaser at the Switch conference only to reveal full gameplay this Wednesday and yet I bet that's what happens. >_<

Kathian

Banned
How about Fire Emblem Fates HD: Complete Edition?

Honestly my bet is on first gameplay of Fire Emblem Antithesis (I mean, Musou's are the Call of Duty of the Japanese game industry at this point. Practically Assembly-Line game design, I can't imagine it being too far off) and the reveal of Fire Emblem Mobagemu.

A complete fates edition was at launch. It's quite a lot of work to turn the FE models into HD imo so expecting that to happen in the first FE Switch title - which could be a bit off.

Semajer

I think now's the time for an updated Fire Emblem 9/10 port collection if it ever going to happen. Fates released a while back, but IS have to deal with HD development for the next title, so it might not be ready to show off. A FE9/10 collection would be a nice way to fill in the time before the next new title. Although I worry that they might consider the older titles too hardcore for the audience that Awakening brought in.

I definitely had SMT Odin fresh on my mind reading this.

AllShinyGallinule.gif

I fail to see how that changes anything.

A remake of FE4 and 5 that's tweaked for better gameplay (Thracia had some silliness to it, I recall) would be fantastic. I'd be bummed if it were 3DS only though, 'cause the ship has sailed for me buying one.

Y'know, it'd be the stupidest thing ever if they showed that teaser at the Switch conference only to reveal full gameplay this Wednesday and yet I bet that's what happens. >_<

I dont think its stupid. They want people to tune in to the Fire Emblem Direct.

Also Warriors releases this year I think?

I think now's the time for an updated Fire Emblem 9/10 port collection if it ever going to happen. Fates released a while back, but IS have to deal with HD development for the next title, so it might not be ready to show off. A FE9/10 collection would be a nice way to fill in the time before the next new title. Although I worry that they might consider the older titles too hardcore for the audience that Awakening brought in.

Have you played PoR recently? The easiest difficulty in PoR makes Awakening look like Thracia 776. Plus Radiant Dawn has the save feature so it shouldn't be too much of a spike from what newer players are used to.

Also Warriors releases this year I think?

Should do. Hyrule Warriors was announced Dec 2013 and released August 2014, so I expect Fire Emblem Warriors will release Q4 this year.

Semajer

Have you played PoR recently? The easiest difficulty in PoR makes Awakening look like Thracia 776. Plus Radiant Dawn has the save feature so it shouldn't be too much of a spike from what newer players are used to.

I meant more in terms of features rather than outright difficulty. PoR has limited support convos, limited experience/money/weapons/etc, permadeath, no way to replay maps to grind, no character creator, etc.

I meant more in terms of features rather than outright difficulty. PoR has limited support convos, limited experience/money/weapons/etc, permadeath, no way to replay maps to grind, no character creator, etc.

Fair enough. I like to think IS attempted to ease the newer players into those sort of features through the Awakening -> Birthright -> Conquest line of games. Conquest sort of acts as a middle ground between Awakening and the older games in that regard with most of the features you stated but with Casual mode acting as a small buffer.

Am I really the only one who believes they could announce a 3DS FE this week? It's been two years since they announced FE Fates. Seems about right in terms of dev cycle?

If nothing else, a 3DS announcement makes more sense in a Direct than in a Switch-dedicated event, so I wouldn't write it off the table. Wouldn't personally mind another 3DS entry either since a dual-screen UI is just perfect for the series and I can't imagine how Conquest-like level design could work (well) on a single screen.

Already having nightmarish flashbacks of Radiant Dawn's fifty thousand status screens. >_< /exaggeration-but-still

Edit: Of course, there is this whole no NoE/NoJ announcement business...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You're all going to be so disappointed when it's just an announcement of the Corrin amiibo.

Top Bottom