• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Netflix supernatural thriller series Stranger Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
ST_PAYOFF_US_alt1-2-720x1066.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKLI6zAuhiA
A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Natalia Dyer, Cara Buono, Charlie Heaton, and Matthew Modine.

Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer (Wayward Pines, Hidden) serve as writer, directors and co-showrunners of the series

I'm not entirely sold on it, but the visuals looks good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really like movies and shows like this and not just mystery/thriller/horror type stuff but set in small US towns in the 70's and 80's. I guess its nostalgia but its like that time period is perfect for this kind of stuff thanks to movies like the Goonies and Scooby Doo and all those types of media reinforcing the image of quaint happy towns with kids running around, but a mysterious or scary underbelly to the Sunny afternoons would entail.

Krakn3Dfx

This looks right up my alley. After the yawn fest that most of the new season of the X-Files was, this could be a pleasant change of pace.

Love this setting and these kinds of movies. We've getting a lot of great stuff that capture that vibe. Over in comics, there's Paper Girls and Ufology. Game-wise, Oxenfree and some extent, Life Is Strange.

Definitely interested in this

Palmer_v1

I really like movies and shows like this and not just mystery/thriller/horror type stuff but set in small US towns in the 70's and 80's. I guess its nostalgia but its like that time period is perfect for this kind of stuff thanks to movies like the Goonies and Scooby Doo and all those types of media reinforcing the image of quaint happy towns with kids running around, but a mysterious or scary underbelly to the Sunny afternoons would entail.

It's a modern enough time that we're familiar with everything going on, but still early enough that they don't have to come up with convoluted reasons for cell phones and the internet to not work, and kids were almost always outside without much direct adult supervision.

looks intriguing, but at the same time feels like one of these "hey y'all remember the warm fuzzies of the 80s?" projects that ultimately lacks the actual "warm fuzzies" of the nostalgia they're trying to evoke.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Love this setting and these kinds of movies. We've getting a lot of great stuff that capture that vibe. Over in comics, there's Paper Girls and Ufology. Game-wise, Oxenfree and some extent, Life Is Strange.

Definitely interested in this

Very intrigued by this.

It's a modern enough time that we're familiar with everything going on, but still early enough that they don't have to come up with convoluted reasons for cell phones and the internet to not work, and kids were almost always outside without much direct adult supervision.

It's also easy nostalgia for a big TV demo: 30-40 somethings.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
government experiments and supernatural shit?

latest

I wasn't expecting that at all. Had to stop watching the trailer because it gives away too much. What I did see I like that vibe a lot. Technology has ruined good storytelling and I'm happy to see that obviously others agree. It's easier to tell a good story when you don't have deal with cell phones and the internet.

I love the look of that. The dialogue though sounds a bit....on the nose / weak. Hopefully not indicative of the show as a whole. Fingers crossed.

Ricker

Anyone else thinking Netflix are starting to do too many of these and there will be stinkers(like Hemlock)...

Hopefully its good though of course. ;)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone else thinking Netflix are starting to do too many of these and there will be stinkers(like Hemlock)...

Hopefully its good though of course. ;)

Well there are bound to be crappy shows when they are pumping out so many. No one has a perfect track record.

Sheppard

This looks awesome. A creepy town with a secret? Awesome.

Is Wayward Pines anything like this? I just was never sold on that show.

jstripes

Banned
X-Files, Twin Peaks, and shows carrying the spirit of unsettling '80s "kids" movies.

I'm glad this genre has gone through a resurgence.

Wasn't this announced After Series of Unfortunate Events?

Come on Netflix, where in the hell is that show.

Looks great though, will definitely watch.

jackal27

Banned
Oh man oh man oh man oh man I really hope this is good. It looks like my jam to the max.

Also, I hope we get at least some kind of creature at some point because that is also my jam.

x-Lundz-x

I know it's probably already been said but this is clearly an homage to Needful Things? I mean the title and the font etc...

Show looks awesome. Netflix keeps on winning.

SeanC

Great looking show. Thanks for getting this on my radar. With all the digital shows and outlets I overlook so much stuff.

styl3s

It's actually kind of shocking looking back on the kind of freedom we had as kids back then at least where i lived. I mean me and my friends would get on our bikes and literally bike miles away from home just exploring and doing shit we wouldn't of done and now a days kids aren't allowed to leave their drive way but times have changed i guess.

As for the show i love it, i love the feel i love supernatural things i hope it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom