• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Netflix supernatural thriller series Stranger Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Baller poster - the best of old school Spielburg right here.

trGCmUl.jpg

Holy shit 🙌

Somnia

First trailer looked good, but the 2nd one has me extremely excited. Netflix continuing to slay it with original programming.

Even the font used in the trailers is very early/mid-80's and reminiscent of things like, say, the Choose Your Own Adventure Books that came out then. It's a nice touch and good attention to detail.

YWVH0aM.jpg

choose-your-own-adventure-book-cover.jpg

Damn, this looks like it may fulfill the promise that Super 8 made but completely failed to deliver on which was to be a cool, retro, 80's slice of Spielbergian nostalgia. I hope it delivers.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Could go with the Joker quote:

Stranger Things |OT| Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you Stranger

Yeah, that's trying to emulate the '80s. I mean, I love the tone and look (very much '80s Spielberg going on), but the premise seems iffy. I'll give it a shot.

For being a person ultra critical about modern movies and shows being set in the 80s, they got the look down. It's toned down enough to not be a "Totally Awesome and Righteous" spoof of pure neon and hairspray, but it's also taking cues from how it kinda really looked back then without just saying, "Yeah, lets take hipster fashion and play a few 80s songs(always Indie alternative songs from bands like like The Pixies and early R.E.M) and just call it a day!"

I tend to say, if one wants to research the 80s and how it REALLY was, google image search stuff like "80s yearbook pics" or "80s family pics" or archival footage on YouTube of home videos or new broadcasts. Take a peek into how REALLY looked back then, not how modern pop culture's depiction THOUGHT it looked. It's not hard and totally free of cost.

According to Matthew Modine, it's going to be renewed for a second season.

http://screencrush.com/netflix-stranger-things-season-2-matthew-modine/

We’re especially curious to check out Netflix’s upcoming Spielberg-tinged Stranger Things, though the ten-episode series hasn’t clarified very much of an over-arching story. They may have time yet to work that out, however, as series star Matthew Modine says Stranger Things Season 2 is already in the works.

Take this with a grain of salt for the moment, as Netflix representatives say a Season 2 renewal for Stranger Things is “not confirmed” at this time, though a new interview with interview with French magazine Premiere sees Matthew Modine saying in no uncertain terms, “it’s a series … oh, there will be a Season 2, yeah.”

Can't wait! Will probably binge watch that weekend, lol. Hopefully it's good. My experience with Netflix original series so far has been meh.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Definitely needs something to draw people in. I can't think of anything particularly clever that also hints at the nostalgia/throwback value of this.

Using quotes from Goonies or Super 88 will definitely draw people in. Especially since the comparison between the show and the movies are on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom