• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Netflix supernatural thriller series Stranger Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinpop

Love this setting and these kinds of movies. We've getting a lot of great stuff that capture that vibe. Over in comics, there's Paper Girls and Ufology. Game-wise, Oxenfree and some extent, Life Is Strange.

Definitely interested in this

do you have any recommendations for movies of this kind?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the font and layout of the poster is ripped straight from the YA novels of the 70s and 80s.

Will probably check out.

This looks awesome. A creepy town with a secret? Awesome.

Is Wayward Pines anything like this? I just was never sold on that show.

I haven't watched Wayward Pines yet, but the creators of this show, The Duffer Brothers, wrote a few episodes of Wayward Pines.

For me, this show feels like ET + Goonies with a little bit of Monster Squad mixed in; I'm excited to see the rest of the show.

This is right up my alley of stories I like. I don't think we've really had something of this specific type of vibe since Super 8. I'll definitely have to watch this.

-griffy-

Banned
Just saw the trailer come across my Twitter feed. Looks cool, like Amblin Entertainment from the 80's made a TV show.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks great. I'm looking forward to this.

Timeaisis

Yeah, that's trying to emulate the '80s. I mean, I love the tone and look (very much '80s Spielberg going on), but the premise seems iffy. I'll give it a shot.

It's actually kind of shocking looking back on the kind of freedom we had as kids back then at least where i lived. I mean me and my friends would get on our bikes and literally bike miles away from home just exploring and doing shit we wouldn't of done and now a days kids aren't allowed to leave their drive way but times have changed i guess.

I grew up in the 80's, and I remember those all-day 'school is out' summer adventures. We would bike for miles, play arcade machinates at the local convenience store, or spend the day in the woods playing 'war' (which was mostly building bases and defenses). We was always doing stupid shit (even better when a friend got a hold of some fireworks), and we never went home until dinner or dusk (there was always the one house we would raid for lunch sometimes). Now as a father I do let my kids roam some, but always with a cellphone and with friends.

That said this trailer looks like it was made for me. Plus I had the biggest crush on a certain someone after seeing Heathers.

I grew up in the 80's, and I remember those all-day 'school is out' summer adventures. We would bike for miles, play arcade machinates at the local convenience store, or spend the day in the woods playing 'war' (which was mostly building bases and defenses). We was always doing stupid shit (even better when a friend got a hold of some fireworks), and we never went home until dinner or dusk (there was always the one house we would raid for lunch sometimes). Now as a father I do let my kids roam some, but always with a cellphone and with friends.

That said this trailer looks like it was made for me. Plus I had the biggest crush on a certain someone after seeing Heathers.
I was listening to a podcast a few days (forget if it was Reply All or Invisibilia) and they talked about this. There was a study in the 70s or 80s, the first to observe children unobtrusively, and the kids of the town had tons of freedom. Fastforward to now, and studying the children of those original children, and now the kids only roam as far as their yard. Yet, crime hasn't increased at all since the 70s/80s; it's just that the parents feel that it's less safe

Rootbeer

Banned
I was listening to a podcast a few days (forget if it was Reply All or Invisibilia) and they talked about this. There was a study in the 70s or 80s, the first to observe children unobtrusively, and the kids of the town had tons of freedom. Fastforward to now, and studying the children of those original children, and now the kids only roam as far as their yard. Yet, crime hasn't increased at all since the 70s/80s; it's just that the parents feel that it's less safe
Yeah I heard that episode! But I also can't remember which podcast it was... because I listen to so many, haha. I'm sure it's easily googleable, but it was an interesting study and observation.

*edit*

okay I think it was this episode of Invisibilia

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/16/377517810/world-with-no-fear

Replicant

If the stories are anthologies (at the very most one short season per story), this would have work well. But as a series spanning multiple seasons, I don't know how good it can be.

Ricker

Starring Winona Ryder. That's one of the Stranger Things I have seen.

I didnt recognise her per say lol...I knew I saw her before but that haircut fooled me I guess,then it clicked when you guys mentionned her.

Someone asked about movie in small town earlier,a lot of the 80's Stephen King movies like Christine and Pet Cemetary where like that...also Close Encounter but everybody probably saw that one...maybe the Goonies also.

Never even knew about this. Hyped. I love everything this is riffing off of so Im definitely in. Hopefully it's better than super 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom