• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Netflix supernatural thriller series Stranger Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hope they have it in 4k. cant wait to watch

No way they won't. I think Lady Dynamite was in 4K. :p

I'm all in for this... looks really good IMO.

I was listening to a podcast a few days (forget if it was Reply All or Invisibilia) and they talked about this. There was a study in the 70s or 80s, the first to observe children unobtrusively, and the kids of the town had tons of freedom. Fastforward to now, and studying the children of those original children, and now the kids only roam as far as their yard. Yet, crime hasn't increased at all since the 70s/80s; it's just that the parents feel that it's less safe

And no matter how much you explain that to these parents they will never believe you.

So what was wrong with Super 8? To be fair, I have zero nostalgia for that era or those movies from the 80s. The only one I've ever seen was ET. I just love the atmosphere of that settings and era, and the general concepts of those kinds of movies (kids on their own adventure, against events and dangers far greater than themselves)

So what was wrong with Super 8? To be fair, I have zero nostalgia for that era or those movies from the 80s. The only one I've ever seen was ET. I just love the atmosphere of that settings and era, and the general concepts of those kinds of movies (kids on their own adventure, against events and dangers far greater than themselves)

I didn't realise there was any hate for Super 8. Huh. It's a bit too predictable and I would have preferred a darker take on the story but it did feel a lot like a Spielberg 80's era movie.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Looks good. My irrational adoration for Winona Ryder would've compelled me to watch this anyway though.

Foggy

Super 8 wasn't particularly bad, it was just an obvious hollow imitation of the Amblin approach. Also, the creature design was lame.

This has my curiosity. No way this would fly anywhere other than Netflix or Amazon. Love it.

mm04

Yep, looks good to me. That's my target nostalgia era and I had a crush on Winona Ryder growing up as we're the same age. Hopefully it's good!

Dalek

Looks good but goddamn I forgot how bad Winona is at delivering a line, shits embarrassing to watch.

I never really noticed this until recently, but yes-I agree she's a bad actress. It was really apparent in Show Me a Hero where she basically torpedoed every scene she was in.

kiri

Looks fantastic, logo gives me strong 'Revenge of the Jedi' vibes and reminds me overall of E.T,/Super8/Eerie Indiana so overall - love it!

Plus I have a major crush on Winona Ryder so that helps things too!

Watched the trailer and Im in. Expecting a good bit of cheese. Agree with others that this seems like a show that fits better with the self contained season formula.

I was listening to a podcast a few days (forget if it was Reply All or Invisibilia) and they talked about this. There was a study in the 70s or 80s, the first to observe children unobtrusively, and the kids of the town had tons of freedom. Fastforward to now, and studying the children of those original children, and now the kids only roam as far as their yard. Yet, crime hasn't increased at all since the 70s/80s; it's just that the parents feel that it's less safe

Interesting! I wonder if the # of children couples have now compared to back then has something to do with that.

number11

My problem with Super 8 is that it was trying way too hard in being a Spielberg impression. It hits all the same notes as an Amblin film, but for some reason the magic was missing.

Fusebox

Banned
I really like movies and shows like this and not just mystery/thriller/horror type stuff but set in small US towns in the 70's and 80's. I guess its nostalgia but its like that time period is perfect for this kind of stuff thanks to movies like the Goonies and Scooby Doo and all those types of media reinforcing the image of quaint happy towns with kids running around, but a mysterious or scary underbelly to the Sunny afternoons would entail.

Hadn't thought about it like that before, you're right too, I'm totally conditioned to the idea of the 80s happy town with secret cliche.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Looks like test subjects, hope it isn't aliens. That shit always ends up underwhelming. In fact I hope they're willing to buck genre tropes.

Looks fantastic, logo gives me strong 'Revenge of the Jedi' vibes

That ain't Revenge of the Jedi:

yIKjiHq.jpg

logo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom