• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France sales update: PS4 2.15 million, Wii U 742K, Xbox One 715K

Celine

I'd bet on WiiU still being higher than XB1 in Spain too
Who knows...
Spain is the most pro-Sony Country in Europe (italy too favour strongly Sony).

Wow, the console that was out a year longer barely eeked out a victory. Impressive.
Of course Ethan, WiiU had a year head start and I'm sure Xbone will eventually surpass WiiU LTD in Germany and France.
The joke here is that WiiU sale perfomance was from the beginning an unmitigated disaster.

What?

No, that's sales for the year, not cumulative LTD.
those are yearly numbers, you have to add them up lol
hHm1sN2.gif

Raist

Banned
Did that comparison for Germany in the other thread (vs US sales), so here we go.

PS4 12%
XB1 6.3%

PS4 18.4%
XB1 6.7%

PS4 17.4%
XB1 6%

Germany for reference:

PS4 12.5%
XB1 5.6%

PS4 24.6%
XB1 5.3%

PS4 24.4%
XB1 5.5%

Latest LTD sales for France I managed to find (If anyone find newer data feel free to share):

NDS: 8,400,000 (January 2010)
Wii: 6,161,310 (June 2013)
PS2: 5,500,000 (December 2007)
PS3: 4,561,277 (June 2013)
3DS: 4,000,000 (December 2015)
PSP: 3,396,999 (June 2013)
X360: 3.133.692 (June 2013)
PS4: 2,150,000 (December 2015)
Wii U: 742,000 (December 2015)
XB1: 715,000 (December 2015)
PSV: 233,309 (June 2013)

Sources:
http://www.lsa-conso.fr/exclusif-lsa-la-ps3-a-talonne-la-wii-en-2009-en-france,110946
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72733656&postcount=91
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226225
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173692

viHuGi

Banned
Xbox One reveal was the biggest disgrace Microsoft ever done since Vista.

PS4 is incredibly strong there but Germany is another league for Playstation.

Chastten

Banned
Totally. That's why third parties have been jumping ship left and right.

Based on just European sales I'd wager a lot of 3th parties would've done so a long time ago. They're just lucky the USA at least picked up some slack.

But yeah, as the gap grows wider I guess more and more non-AAA games won't make the jump to Xone in the future.

Hell, even a lot of toy/electronic stores around here are basically ditching Xone. I was at a major national toystore last week and the Xbox section consisted of 4 small shelves for One and 360 combined, with two of those shelves being all Destiny and it's expansion. Only the Vita had less exposure.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Of course Ethan, WiiU had a year head start and I'm sure Xbone will eventually surpass WiiU LTD in Germany and France.
The joke here is that WiiU sale perfomance was from the beginning an unmitigated disaster.

The joke is no different with Xbox One.

Edit: Actually if anything was a disaster from launch it was the Xbox One, from their early vision to grouping countries in tiers.
Nintendo had no such backlash.

It's worse with the X1. The WiiU is a failure in every sense of the word and we all see it as such. The total failure console is not even losing in many EU territories. To me all this says is MS is in a way worse situation if Nintendo launches a good system.

EthanC

Banned
Based on just European sales I'd wager a lot of 3th parties would've done so a long time ago. They're just lucky the USA at least picked up some slack.

But yeah, as the gap grows wider I guess more and more non-AAA games won't make the jump to Xone in the future.

Hell, even a lot of toy/electronic stores around here are basically ditching Xone. I was at a major national toystore last week and the Xbox section consisted of 4 small shelves for One and 360 combined, with two of those shelves being all Destiny and it's expansion. Only the Vita had less exposure.

Fortunately for MS, developers also take into account two of the largest consumer bases in the world when they decide to make their games available. Sorry, but the notion that the Xbox is on life support is too stupid for words. The Wii U was an unmitigated disaster pretty much the world over from the start. That's why Nintendo is about to reveal yet another console.

Edit: Actually if anything was a disaster from launch it was the Xbox One, from their early vision to grouping countries in tiers.
Nintendo had no such backlash.

That's why it's worse for Nintendo. No backlash. No hate. Just straight up consumer ambivalence.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's worse with the X1. The WiiU is a failure in every sense of the word and we all see it as such. The total failure console is not even losing in many EU territories. To me all this says is MS is in a way worse situation if Nintendo launches a good system.

I edited my post.

Nintendo was a failure from lack of interest. Xbox One was arguably hurt from pissing off consumers.
So really, Nintendo doing things right wouldn't make any difference.

Chastten

Banned
Fortunately for MS, developers also take into account two of the largest consumer bases in the world when they decide to make their games available. Sorry, but the notion that the Xbox is on life support is too stupid for words.

Read my post ^_~ I said "It's 'doing fine' in the USA and 'sorta doing ok in the UK', in the rest of the world it's just as dead as the Wii U is." In a large part of Europe it's pretty much dead in the water.

I'm sure that as long as they can make a profit from the USA alone 3th parties will stay, but even there the gap is growing bigger I think. When that gap grows big enough, we'll have another PS2/Xbox/NGC situation.

I edited my post.

Nintendo was a failure from lack of interest. Xbox One was arguably hurt from pissing off consumers.
So really, Nintendo doing things right wouldn't make any difference.

It's the same for MS, the XB1 is cheaper, has all the 3rd party and it's own exclusive yet it does not matter because people just don't care about it.The reveal has certainly hurt its sales but even with a better one I still don't think that it would've outsold the WiiU here. The Xbox brand is just not that strong here.

bombshell

I don't have numbers for first 6 months, but these are annual sales:

X360

2005- 81k
2006- 239k
2007- 259k

XOne

2013- 126k
2014- 290k
2015- 298k

Xbox One did better than X360 in all years.

It's not an entirely fair comparison, because I imagine that a significant number of consoles were imported by tier 2 countries from France (and Germany) in 2013 and first half of 2014. And as already posted, the 360 had stock shortages.

amrum

745x200-n-NewStyleBoutique2-FF-111823.jpg

This game: "New style boutique 2" from Nintendo managed to sell 130 000 copies in one month (December 2015). It was in the French top 10 sales in december 2015.

"Tomodatchi Life" (in the shelves since 2014) sold 220 000 copies in 2015 while “Animal Crossing : Happy Home Designer” (out in july) sold 247 000 copies, which is more than "Fifa 16" on Xbox one...

allan-bh

But the 360 had supply problems that the XB1 didn't have for its first year.
The third year on the market will tell the tale, but I suspect that the XB1 is already selling under the 360 on most markets (including US when looking outside of the Holidays).

Supply was not a key here since Xbox One did better than 360 in both years.

But you're right about third year because 360 had a big increase in 2008 selling 571k, it's difficult to imagine Xbox One having this bump.

Shin-chan

That its only selling around 25% better than the Wii U France is a pretty staggering failure for Microsoft. No amount of "it's still ahead of the 360" will convince me otherwise. The console has had its biggest games and there is literally nothing else that will push at hard as the releases his holiday could in the future, and 8-9K growth is pretty dismal as well.

I think people underestimate just how horribly the thing sells outside of North America and the UK. Like, literally competing with Wii U numbers in any market is considered a total failure, surely?

I can see why people would be skeptical of any sell through above 18M, the ratio of sales must be skewing further and further in favour of NA every day.

allan-bh

I think people underestimate just how horribly the thing sells outside of North America and the UK. Like, literally competing with Wii U numbers in any market is considered a total failure, surely?

I can see why people would be skeptical of any sell through above 18M, the ratio of sales must be skewing further and further in favour of NA every day.

I don't remember people saying that 360 was doing horribly, now Xbox One is doing better and somehow this become terrible sales?

Sterok

745x200-n-NewStyleBoutique2-FF-111823.jpg

This game: "New style boutique 2" from Nintendo managed to sell 130 000 copies in one month (December 2015). It was in the French top 10 sales in december 2015.

"Tomodatchi Life" (in the shelves since 2014) sold 220 000 copies in 2015 while “Animal Crossing : Happy Home Designer” (out in july) sold 247 000 copies, which is more than "Fifa 16" on Xbox one...

I approve of France giving other types of games beyond the usual AAA affair strong sales.

Do we have the top software for the previous few years?

Shin-chan

I don't remember people saying that 360 was doing horribly, now Xbox One is doing better and somehow this become terrible sales?

So you're going to tell me that Wii U sales in France this year are just under 4/5 of good? Nintendo will be pleased. The fact that they're close at all is awful.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Before Germany, and now France.

Wow, both today is amazing. :D

Anyway, absolutely fantastic 3DS and PS4 sales. Wii U and XB1 bad, but not doomed.

Top Bottom