• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France sales update: PS4 2.15 million, Wii U 742K, Xbox One 715K

Shin-chan

What?

I just said that Xbox One isn't doing horribly, I never used the word good.

Fair enough, but I'd still argue that it is horrible. Especially when you consider this is likely a top 5 market for the product.

Again, I just can't see anything that sells comparably with the Wii U as being anything but a failure.

AniHawk

Wow, the console that was out a year longer barely eeked out a victory. Impressive.

the wii u was also out a year longer than the ps4 and that didn't seem much of an obstacle for sony. the wii u's failures have been well-documented. this is a demonstration of how poorly microsoft is doing with the xbox one this generation. they will be way down from the 360 without something drastic changing their fortunes. hitting ~45 million for the generation is going to be a pretty bad look following ~90 million consoles sold, even if the thing does impressive numbers in the united states.

the wii u was also out a year longer than the ps4 and that didn't seem much of an obstacle for sony. the wii u's failures have been well-documented. this is a demonstration of how poorly microsoft is doing with the xbox one this generation. they will be way down from the 360 without something drastic changing their fortunes. hitting ~45 million for the generation is going to be a pretty bad look following ~90 million consoles sold, even if the thing does impressive numbers in the united states.

Isn't the ratio of Xbox One / PS4 more favorable than X360 / PS3 for Microsoft in France?

Dat PlayStation domination. Dat Xbox One just about done. Without any kind of a WW market I see them struggling to push 30 million units of the boner. Absolute disaster on every level, this product has been for them.

Sky Saw

Banned
Dat PlayStation domination. Dat Xbox One just about done. Without any kind of a WW market I see them struggling to push 30 million units of the boner. Absolute disaster on every level, this product has been for them.

You're acting like they've sold 500 of them overall.

Dat #gamefaqs level shitposting.

This isn't surprising news, given the typical performance of Xbox vs PlayStation in previous gens. Hopefully MS learns from it this time (lol) and makes an effort to attract a worldwide audience next time. Not that I know how they could do that.

I don't remember people saying that 360 was doing horribly, now Xbox One is doing better and somehow this become terrible sales?

Xbox one won't even be close to 360 numbers when it's all said and done. 360 was a successor to OG Xbox, and nobody in Europe had that. 360 was incredibly hard to find for a long time and even though it had Oblivion, Bioshock and Gears early on, the sales were slow. Hardware issues had something to do with that. But it picked up steam later in and many PS players jumped ship, me included.

Now you can see stacks of One's in stores and great deals and sales are stagnant or slowing down. Every single player on my somewhat short friends list moved back to PS this generation and none of them is interested in buying the Bone. I guess calling countries 2nd tier and not offering your product for made up reasons (localisation, really?) is frowned upon by the consumers. Who knew?

Zafir

This isn't exactly that surprising.

Xbox 360 wasn't exactly the favourite console of last gen in most of Europe. The only reason it was as close as it got to the PS3's numbers was because it basically dominated the PS3 in the UK and NA, two of the largest markets.

Just unfortunate for MS that they aren't dominating in NA/UK any more. That said, it's far from dead.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

image.php

It's hard to really rely on two countries and have strong sales. It can be done, but it's still hard, especially with Sony dominating this generation. And to essentially skip Japan and sells 99 consoles a week there. Even though Japan is weak with consoles, Sony is still putting up way higher numbers than the Xbox's sad sales there.

Steroyd

This generation is over.

It's too bad. I wanted things to be competitive, too.

Geez, close sales does NOT equal competitive, did we not learn from everyone resting on their laurels last gen with consoles barely dropping in price because they both sold 80m each, Nintendo doing fuck all after selling 100m consoles in 5 years.

Fuck it, from now on if anyone says the bolded you have to watch the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo E3 2012 conferences in full. And see competition at it's absolute height.

NZerker12

Damn the PS4 has completely dominated Europe, makes you wonder how well the NX is going to do and whether the performance of the PS4 is going to affect its sales.

Nobody said at the time.

What's happening with Xbox One is a perception thing, numbers aren't bad itself, they look bad when compared to Playstation 4.

Because Xbox as a brand had zero value in Europe. It took a long while for 360 to gain support in Europe. Nobody expected it to sell well. And then came Xbox One and "2 tier". 360 didn't need special bundles and price drops to start selling. It became popular here despite the massive hardware failures. If you still don't understand the difference then maybe you will when this generation is over and One is lagging behind 360 sales.

allan-bh

Because Xbox as a brand had zero value in Europe. It took a long while for 360 to gain support in Europe. Nobody expected it to sell well. And then came Xbox One and "2 tier". 360 didn't need special bundles and price drops to start selling. It became popular here despite the massive hardware failures. If you still don't understand the difference then maybe you will when this generation is over and One is lagging behind 360 sales.

Not true since Microsoft shipped 6 million for Europe and outsold Gamecube. 360 grown but not started from zero.

I'm not saying that Xbox One will continue to outpace 360, but right now it is, this is a simple fact, so I will not call the current sales "horrible".

Not true since Microsoft shipped 6 million for Europe and outsold Gamecube. 360 grown but not started from zero.

I'm not saying that Xbox One will continue to outpace 360, but right now it is, this is a simple fact, so I will not call the current sales "horrible".

The difference between the two starting points is like comparing Vita to PS2. Maybe if you lived here you would notice the difference. 360 was everywhere when the generation was ending. One is gathering dust in the grocery market corner.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen their friends completely abandon Xbox for PS4. Just because you flood the market with your product and sell it with a loss an throw in some games for free, it doesn't mean you are doing well.

allan-bh

The difference between the two starting points is like comparing Vita to PS2. Maybe if you lived here you would notice the difference. 360 was everywhere when the generation was ending. One is gathering dust in the grocery market corner.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen their friends completely abandon Xbox for PS4. Just because you flood the market with your product and sell it with a loss an throw in some games for free, it doesn't mean you are doing well.

Vita sold 6 million in Europe?

Anyway, no doubt Xbox 360 put the Xbox brand on another level and Microsoft failed to compete against PS4, but Xbox One sales aren't horrible.

gtj1092

Nobody said at the time.

What's happening with Xbox One is a perception thing, numbers aren't bad itself, they look bad when compared to Playstation 4.

Are you saying in turn that no one said ps3 sales were bad even though they were better than x360. So you are right it is about perception. What would actually constitute bad sales to you?

allan-bh

What would actually constitute bad sales to you?

When sales are bad in absolute terms, which doesn't seem to be the case for Xbox One.

PS4 is doing very great, Xbox One looks horrible in comparison, but looking at the actual number is not selling that bad.

antonz

Nintendo has a decent following in Europe. The Wii U obviously appeals to some of that following but it of course does not have the mass appeal.

Its just the fate of Nintendo. They either go big and win or they languish and get by

Fat4all

Banned
Nintendo has a decent following in Europe. The Wii U obviously appeals to some of that following but it of course does not have the mass appeal.

Its just the fate of Nintendo. They either go big and win or they languish and get by

Yeah, if Nintendo plays their cards right, the NX doing well and being even just moderately more popular than the WiiU will give them a decent world-wide foothold.

joecanada

It's funny that it has to be repeated that the Wii U was out a year longer. In some places where the Xbox launched late, it was out even longer. So no, not as dead.

Didn't stop some from declaring 360 the winner despite being outsold by ps3 monthly

So they make games for 15 million user base, but won't make them anymore for 20+ million user base?
Yes, this might make financial sense. Say a publisher needs a 50m+ installed base to make profit at the projected attach rate. Right now, that means releasing on both PS4 and One. But what happens later this year, when PS4 exceeds 50m by itself? Now you can potentially make the same profit with a PS4 exclusive. Except you don't have to pay whatever the incremental costs of the Xbox port. Plus, it's very likely you can get marketing cost help from Sony if you make your game exclusive. Net result? You make more money by skipping out on the Xbox, even though its installed base has gotten higher.

Not every project's numbers will run this way, but some will.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't remember people saying that 360 was doing horribly, now Xbox One is doing better and somehow this become terrible sales?

The 360 did horribly in Europe, that didn't change, people just had lower standards for it because it was the new kid on the block.

It's the same reason people here are saying "France loves Nintendo", Wii U has different standards, having a slightly higher LTD than XB1 for the Wii U is considered good for the Wii U. If the PS3 or PS4 sold like the Wii U, they would be absolute disasters.

Alo0oy

Banned
Xbox one won't even be close to 360 numbers when it's all said and done. 360 was a successor to OG Xbox, and nobody in Europe had that. 360 was incredibly hard to find for a long time and even though it had Oblivion, Bioshock and Gears early on, the sales were slow. Hardware issues had something to do with that. But it picked up steam later in and many PS players jumped ship, me included.

When did this revisionist history of the 360 having this grand supply issue come from? People keep repeating it as if it mirrored the Wii. It had the same supply issues as any other console ever did, it was not readily available from the holidays all the way to March, that happened for every console, including the PS4 which actually had supply issues all the way to June in Europe (it was still March in the US).

I actually thought Wii U sales would be higher because France is one of Nintendo's best markets.

I wonder what the PS4 vs XB1 gap will be at the end of the generation?

Squalor

Geez, close sales does NOT equal competitive, did we not learn from everyone resting on their laurels last gen with consoles barely dropping in price because they both sold 80m each, Nintendo doing fuck all after selling 100m consoles in 5 years.

Fuck it, from now on if anyone says the bolded you have to watch the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo E3 2012 conferences in full. And see competition at it's absolute height.
What you said has nothing to do with my want for competitive sales.

Nintendo didn't rest on its laurels because it sold well. It rested on its laurels because they actually had and continue to show that they have nothing aside from one good idea every three years.

The other two are releasing great exclusives yearly.

Top Bottom