• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I get the feeling the stiffest match I may ever see this year will be the Tomohiro Ishii vs Shinsuke Nakamura match. Webm needs to happen heavy over the next few months.

Would they put Ricochet in? Could they even get Ricochet for that long?

The power of money. They could if they really wanted to, yes.

Time to bring in ADAM COLE BAYBEEEEE

...Oh my.

RE: The Ibushi thing, it was honestly only a matter of time before something got him. He works a ridiculous schedule with NJPW and DDT, and he was wearing down about it before. It pissed off some of the NJPW guys

Jamie OD

Would they put Ricochet in? Could they even get Ricochet for that long?

As much as New Japan wants to sign Ricochet full time, I doubt they will get him to do this. I guess either KUSHIDA, Tomoaki Honma or YOSHI-HASHI will fill in Ibushi's spot. KUSHIDA is the most similar and can benefit from the opportunity (see Prince Devitt replacing Naomichi Marufuji in 2010), Honma deserves the spotlight much like Ishii did. YOSHI would just be a blatant job guy.

RP912

Banned
I'm usually hype for Wrestle Kingdom and don't care for everything else. I tried watching G1 before and it didn't move me at all. I'll try catching it this year though for the sake of RAINMAKERRRRRRRR

If they got Ricochet, he'd have to skip the EVOLVE shows - maybe he'd do it, but it'd be a real big blow for Gabe. The EVOLVE roster is thin enough as it is without one of, if not the main draw skipping shows.

KUSHIDA makes the most sense, as much as I'd love to see Honma get the spot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to see KUSHIDA take his spot. This would be his biggest break yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What are some of the stiffest matches in NJPW? I'm new, still trying to get into it :).

Shoot, the early 2000s had some brutal shit. Bootaaay will deliver the cream of the crop (yeah) however so I'll defer to him.

Grifter

Fantastic OP. AJ Styles has morphed into a Sega character.

It's Shibata's year, I can feel it!

B05-Okada.gif

Err, if he's still alive. This doesn't look like he tucked his head at all... ugh.

NoRéN

Ibushi! No!!!!!!!!!

I'll still get some of the matches though. I can't recall ever regretting paying for a new japan stream.

Looks like there's enough interest, so here we go! Bootaaay, feel free to quote this or put a link in the OP.

WRASSLEGAF PRESENTS: GAF1 Climax

What is this?

It's just another fun avatar contest, just like the annual Avatar Royal Rumble or the #YES #NO wager we had for Wrestlemania. This time, it's for the G1 Climax. You put your avatar on the line and if you lose, you'll have to wear an avatar of the winner for a month.

What are the Rules?

Either post in this thread, or PM me your name between now and July 21, 2014 12:00 AM Central Standard Time. After that, I'll use a generator to randomize your names and you'll be asigned a number. You'll be assigned a wrestler with the same number from this list. (I decided to assign numbers based on the order in the OP)

1. Tomohiro Ishii
2. Katsuyori Shibata
3. Kota Ibushi
4. Bad Luck Fale
5. Shinsuke Nakamura
6. Hiroshi Tanahashi
7. Doc Gallows
8. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
9. Shelton X Benjamin
10. Satoshi Kojima
11. Yuji Nagata
12. Togi Makabe
13. Tetsuya Naito
14. Hirooki Goto
15. AJ Styles
16. Kazuchika Okada
17. Minoru Suzuki
18. Karl Anderson
19. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
20. Toru Yano
21. Yujiro Takahashi
22. Lance Archer

So basically if you Draw 1, you'll be assigned Ishii, if you draw 22, you'll get Archer and so on.

Don't worry, I'll put up the list as soon as possible and I'll PM you who you got just in case you don't want to venture in the thread yet due to spoilers and what not.

If your guy wins, you'll get bragging rights and earn your place in history as the first ever GAF1 Climax winner.

If your guy loses, you'll be forced to wear an avatar of the winner for one month starting on August 10.

Or if you're feeling really daring, like me, you can choose to wear it until Wrestle Kingdom 9 on January 4, 2015. This is optional, but hey, why not?

I'm in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Valued Twitter user @STRIGGA mentioned that NJPW should have kept the announcement quiet, and kept it a surprise. Still, no complaints other than I won't see Ibushi this year :( which is my only complaint. Honma is a shitload of fun and I look forward to it all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I do think this year we'll see some Bullet Club vs Bullet Club matches be intentional draws to build head. Bullet Club will get their last big chance to shine here, and will eventually self-destruct, climaxing at Wrestle Kingdom 9 in January. That's how I'd book it.

Added Honma to the OP, though no fancy graphic yet until New Japan update their G1 site.

Honma is not a good replacement. It does nothing to stymie the problem of NJPW aging stars....

No, but it does reward a valued undercard guy who's become something of a fan favourite. He's no different than Ishii was three years or so ago and it'll be good to see him get a chance on a bigger stage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. I mean his chance to get out there and shine. Take it to the next level.

Still very impressed with his match against Jay Lethal in ROH. Really great match. And since then, yknow, things been looking pretty good. Very good dude.

XenoRaven

Added Honma to the OP, though no fancy graphic yet until New Japan update their G1 site.

No, but it does reward a valued undercard guy who's become something of a fan favourite. He's no different than Ishii was three years or so ago and it'll be good to see him get a chance on a bigger stage.
He was great in his match with Shibata, although it was kind of like watching someone punch a puppy.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Evening Musuko
Vince McMahon
ghostmind
FallingEdge
KRNFLX
Browny
GodDuckman
Reneledarker

8 so far! Not bad! 14 spots to go!

Remember you have until 12:00 AM CST/2:00 PM JST/ to add your name to the list. That's an hour before the first show starts.

As for Honma replacing Ibushi, I have no problems with it. Ibushi wasn't going to win it, and Honma sure as hell isn't either, but he's a fan favorite and he'll no doubt have some fun matches.

I do think this year we'll see some Bullet Club vs Bullet Club matches be intentional draws to build head. Bullet Club will get their last big chance to shine here, and will eventually self-destruct, climaxing at Wrestle Kingdom 9 in January. That's how I'd book it.

That's how I see things happening, but we still need Tama Tonga and the Young Bucks to win Shelly's and Kushida's titles first!

They'd have to reschedule the Time Splitters vs. reDRagon match from the Seibu Dome show, which would be a blow. I'd rather see someone other than KUSHIDA.

Not necessarily. Just say the match is contingent upon KUSHIDA not being in the final, which everyone knows wouldn't happen anyways. No reason he can't compete in the tournament.

My pipe dream replacement would be Ricochet, but there's almost no chance of that happening.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Might want to put this really dope graphic I found in the OP, Boots:
mmwtbqO.jpg

Evening Musuko
Vince McMahon
ghostmind
FallingEdge
KRNFLX
Browny
GodDuckman
Reneledarker

8 so far! Not bad! 14 spots to go!

Remember you have until 12:00 AM CST/2:00 PM JST/ to add your name to the list. That's an hour before the first show starts.

As for Honma replacing Ibushi, I have no problems with it. Ibushi wasn't going to win it, and Honma sure as hell isn't either, but he's a fan favorite and he'll no doubt have some fun matches.

That's how I see things happening, but we still need Tama Tonga and the Young Bucks to win Shelly's and Kushida's titles first!
Fuck it, I'm in

I'm in for the avatar thing as well, I guess.

By the way, where are people seeing that Honma is in? Not seeing it in the usual places...

Japanese fans on twitter said this graphic was posted on New Japan's website and then quickly removed;

YmyEbyP.jpg

So no official confirmation yet, as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom