• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Japan held the press conference for the G1 in Tokyo this morning, should be on their youtube channel (www.youtube.com/njpw) at some point today. Honma's officially in and Ibushi was there to apologise for his withdrawal from the tournament - they also showed off the special G1 trophy for the 24th anniversary, which is fairly large and seems to have a statue of Inoki attached to it;

s5EJPee.jpg

iQdkwZP.jpg

Kornflayx

New Japan held the press conference for the G1 in Tokyo this morning, should be on their youtube channel (www.youtube.com/njpw) at some point today. Honma's officially in and Ibushi was there to apologise for his withdrawal from the tournament - they also showed off the special G1 trophy for the 24th anniversary, which is fairly large and seems to have a statue of Inoki attached to it;

s5EJPee.jpg

iQdkwZP.jpg

Midget Ishii next to Nakamura who looks awesome as usual is quite the sight

Yeah, he really is tiny compared to everyone else - going to be interesting to see him wrestle guys like Fale & Davey Boy. Also, I like that in the second picture you can't see Yano's face, only his DVD.

Ithil

s5EJPee.jpg

iQdkwZP.jpg

Geez, AJ, you couldn't dress up a bit?

Damn the only time I have seen a guy that under dressed for an important event was when one of my groomsmen wore a Mike Vick jersey to my wedding rehearsal. That outfit is most assuredly NOT phenomenal.

This thread has forced me to fire up my N64 for Virtual Pro wrestling 2. Any good sites you guys can recommend for japanese wrestling promotions? Miss being able to go online to greendestiby, strong style spirit and the old Toryumon fan sites for pix, recaps and bios.

New Japan uploaded the G1 press conference to youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHN_CDapYOI

Go to 20:25 for promos from Shelton, Davey Boy, Doc & Fale, 27:40 for AJ, 31:30 for Archer, 33:30 for Karl Anderson.

This thread has forced me to fire up my N64 for Virtual Pro wrestling 2. Any good sites you guys can recommend for japanese wrestling promotions? Miss being able to go online to greendestiby, strong style spirit and the old Toryumon fan sites for pix, recaps and bios.

Strong Style Spirit's still going over at www.puroresufan.com - www.purolove.com and www.cagematch.net are great for results, cagematch especially for bios. www.iheartdg.com and www.dramaticddt.wordpress.com for everything Dragon Gate and DDT related, respectively. Oh, and the joshifans forum for Joshi wrestling; http://joshifans.com/joshifansforum/index.php

somedevil

New Japan uploaded the G1 press conference to youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHN_CDapYOI

Go to 20:25 for promos from Shelton, Davey Boy, Doc & Fale, 27:40 for AJ, 31:30 for Archer, 33:30 for Karl Anderson.[/url]

I just find this amazing for Okada in the background laughing throughout the press conference from whatever Yano is telling him, his reaction to Bad Luck Fale promo and him finding Yano's promo hilarious.

I just find this amazing for Okada in the background laughing throughout the press conference from whatever Yano is telling him, his reaction to Bad Luck Fale promo and him finding Yano's promo hilarious.

Nakamura has some funny reactions throughout and during the Yano promo too :lol

ghostmind

The press conference is well worth viewing. Nakamura just barely kept his shit when Makabe told AJ, in English, to "fuck off" at the end of his speech.

Gonzalez

Banned
Much obliged Bootaaay! Strong Style spirit is still ok but it seems like its not as good as it used to be.
You're right. I used to love going there for new info, but the lack of updates, and the forum being filled with a bunch of assholes pushed me away from going there on a regular basis.

Finished my predictions for the G1 pick 'em tournament Voices of Wrestling are running (they're still accepting entries up till show time);

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sYkc8UA0Ty9JBhMJ_SJ8EXn08O8n4YEDMUOwdRIRH-E/viewform

I ended up with these standings...

Block A;

01. Shinsuke Nakamura - 17 points
02. Katsuyori Shibata - 16 points
03. Bad Luck Fale - 14 points
XX. Davey Boy Smith Jr - 14 points
05. Hiroshi Tanahashi - 13 points
06. Satoshi Kojima - 12 points
07. Tomohiro Ishii - 10 points
08. Doc Gallows - 6 points
09. Yuji Nagata - 4 points
10. Shelton Benjamin - 2 points
XX. Tomoaki Honma - 2 points

Block B;

01. Kazuchika Okada - 18 points
02. AJ Styles - 16 points
03. Tetsuya Naito - 14 points
04. Hirooki Goto - 12 points
05. Karl Anderson - 10 points
XX. Minoru Suzuki - 10 points
07. Lance Archer - 8 points
XX. Yujiro Takahashi - 8 points
09. Togi Makabe - 6 points
10. Toru Yano - 4 points
11. Hiroyoshi Tenzan - 2 points

Finals; Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazuchika Okada - Nakamura wins
3rd place; Katsuyori Shibata vs AJ Styles - AJ wins

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you happy with that, Boots? Nagata with four? :|

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I also thought Yujiro's gonna get more. Same with Makabe. I guess I figured it to be a little more...even.

I put my entire life savings on Nakamura winning and Okada beating AJ for the title to set up that Tokyo Dome match

...but what if I'm wrong and they do it the other way
ohgod

Are you happy with that, Boots? Nagata with four? :|

I could probably have given him another win or two, same with Makabe. I wasn't really concentrating much on those guys though - I see Fale having a big tournament and booked him to clean up, until Davey Boy stops him (to set up an IC title match) and then he loses to Tanahashi on the penultimate show. I had Fale, Davey Boy, Nakamura & Shibata all with a chance of winning at the end. Block B I really don't see being very even at all - it's all between Okada and AJ, for me.

Lol poor Honma.

Yeah, as much as I love the guy I really don't see him doing well - I booked him with the idea that he'd come close to winning multiple times, then at last get his reward on the final day.

I put my entire life savings on Nakamura winning and Okada beating AJ for the title to set up that Tokyo Dome match

...but what if I'm wrong and they do it the other way
ohgod

That's my thinking as well - Okada beats AJ, wins the title at the next show and faces Nak at Wrestle Kingdom.

8 hours until the G1 begins! Here's the card for Day 1;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 1", 2014/07/21
Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center

15:00 JST | 08:00 EU | 07:00 UK | 02:00 EDT | 23:00 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomohiro Ishii vs Bad Luck Fale
02. G1 Climax - Block A: Shelton Benjamin vs Doc Gallows
03. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson
04. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Yuji Nagata
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
06. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs Yujiro Takahashi
07. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Hirooki Goto
08. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomoaki Honma
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Katsuyori Shibata
10. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs AJ Styles

There's a lot to look forward to there - the top three matches should be great and I like to the look of Kojima vs Nagata and Ishii vs Fale, but could've done without yet another Suzuki vs Yano and Naito vs Yujiro encounter.

Really hoping Tanahashi doesnt win it.

I wouldn't be that bothered if he did win it, except for the fact that it'd be another Wrestle Kingdom show headlined by Tanahashi.

What do you guys use to download the ustream shows? I won't be able to watch them live but would like to get a chance to view them on my tablet when I'm riding the train to and from work.

I decided to treat myself to this since I have to ween off a med and am gonna be a weak mopey mofo the next couple weeks most likely. That and listening to Meltzer rave about shows the past couple of years and never having seen any of the guys wrestle except for the westerners. Looking forward to it and I'm glad there's a GAF thread here lest I have to ask any noob questions :)

I thought the Rick Rude pre-match promo in that 1992 final vid was pretty special ;-) had to share that part with my brother

What does the "Singles Form" stuff in the bios mean?

What do you guys use to download the ustream shows? I won't be able to watch them live but would like to get a chance to view them on my tablet when I'm riding the train to and from work.

I use VSO Downloader - it's the best I've seen out there. There's a paid version, but the free version works fine.

The whole 'rare former tag team' match doesn't really work when you do it ALL THE TIME.

It's gone waaaaay beyond 'former tag team collides', at this point. I think Yujiro and Naito are stuck with each other for life.

Alex Anderson said:
What does the "Singles Form" stuff in the bios mean?

It's the results of the last five singles matches for each wrestler, to sort-of give an indication of what their current status is on the roster, in terms of singles competition.

I use VSO Downloader - it's the best I've seen out there. There's a paid version, but the free version works fine.

It's gone waaaaay beyond 'former tag team collides', at this point. I think Yujiro and Naito are stuck with each other for life.

It's the results of the last five singles matches for each wrestler, to sort-of give an indication of what their current status is on the roster, in terms of singles competition.

VSO Downloader. That is what it was.

Thx.

GhaleonQ

WrassleGAF, many, many thanks for getting me back into wrestling and, specifically, more into foreign promotions. I love the uncertainty that's coming with this 1, and am PUMPED. That said, I wouldn't do anything insane like watch the-

Let the fucked up sleep schedule begin!

(yes, i am watching every one of these live - it is my current mission in life)

...*ahem* ...watch them...out of order, yeah.

My bomaye shirt's ironed and I am ready!

8 hours until the G1 begins! Here's the card for Day 1;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 1", 2014/07/21
Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center

15:00 JST | 08:00 EU | 07:00 UK | 02:00 EDT | 23:00 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomohiro Ishii vs Bad Luck Fale
02. G1 Climax - Block A: Shelton Benjamin vs Doc Gallows
03. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Karl Anderson
04. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Yuji Nagata
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
06. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs Yujiro Takahashi
07. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Hirooki Goto
08. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tomoaki Honma
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Katsuyori Shibata
10. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs AJ Styles

There's a lot to look forward to there - the top three matches should be great and I like to the look of Kojima vs Nagata and Ishii vs Fale, but could've done without yet another Suzuki vs Yano and Naito vs Yujiro encounter.

I wouldn't be that bothered if he did win it, except for the fact that it'd be another Wrestle Kingdom show headlined by Tanahashi.
Suxks I missed ghe discount deadline.....

JavyOO7

Ahh shiet. I too missed the discount too. Not sure what to do now. If I do buy it for $160 I can see it anytime, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom