• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax's new TV show: Hiroyuki Imaishi's "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It does feel a lot like a pilot episode, but I can't complain too much when you have Stocking
SLICING A FUCKING BULLET TRAIN

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Branduil said:
Well, the animation was impressive. Wish I could say the same about the writing.

What else were you expecting after the first trailer?

This ain't no fucking Miyazaki , sir.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
When the episode's title alludes to defecation, I expect nothing more than puerile stupidity that may or may not be influenced by drugs.

Branduil

Regulus Tera said:
When the episode's title alludes to defecation, I expect nothing more than puerile stupidity that may or may not be influenced by drugs.
I suppose not. It is possible for puerile humor to be funny, but it was just so plain. I mean they didn't really even tell jokes, they just showed or said the things themselves and expected it to be funny.

Ezduo

Banned
Batshit insane.

I'd watch it for the animation and fan service but beyond that there's not really much to say. Won't go out of my way though.

matmanx1

Well that was interesting. Entertaining as all get out (as most Gainax shows tend to be) but with a decidedly nasty twist. Nasty as in "I feel dirty for having watched this, I need to go take a shower!"

Still, I laughed several times and I was entertained so I'll be back for the next one!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2411l36.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:
Gainax under the Yamaga/Anno regime is so different from Gainax under Imaishi...

I still haven't really adjusted yet. I'm glad they still have a talented and distinctive otaku director leading their A-team, though.

Jex

Nonoriri said:
They got better over time I see.
Oh no you didn't!

I felt these two mini-episodes were well produced overall, but I didn't enjoy most of the "crude" humour. Perhaps because it wasn't crafted in a particularly interesting way, it just seemed to be there.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Oh no you didn't!

I felt these two mini-episodes were well produced overall, but I didn't enjoy most of the "crude" humour. Perhaps because it wasn't crafted in a particularly interesting way, it just seemed to be their.
You said the same thing I did in a much more succinct way.

Negator

I yelled out loud multiple times during the first half, "What the fuck am I watching!?"

I yelled out loud multiple times during the second half, "This is fucking awesome!"

Jex

Branduil said:
You said the same thing I did in a much more succinct way.
Whoops, spelling mistake. That's what I get for posting past midnight.

I see what you meant about writing, but it was most prevalent in the first part where characters just kind of stated what the director wanted to convey about them.

Part two was more enjoyable because it was more action focused, less dialogue/bad joke focused.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Whoops, spelling mistake. That's what I get for posting past midnight.

I see what you meant about writing, but it was most prevalent in the first part where characters just kind of stated what the director wanted to convey about them.
The second one was better about that, I just didn't find it particularly interesting either. It didn't help that the second one barely had Garterbelt, who is really the only interesting character so far.

trejo

Yeah, I liked it a lot.

Make it less about poop/fart/shit gags and more about awesome insanity and we're golden.

duckroll

Sorry, didn't see this thread. Will post here instead.

Panty & Stocking.... errr.... well it was pretty much what I expected. Ep1 was really dumb and I felt like I lost a ton of braincells watching a stupid joke that wasn't very funny. Ep2 was much better. Great animation and entertaining if stupid action. Overall the series makes no sense. It's just nonsense served up on a plate. I generally don't care about anything going on at any given time. It feels like a bunch of short promo animations for something else.

Branduil

duckroll said:
Sorry, didn't see this thread. Will post here instead.

Panty & Stocking.... errr.... well it was pretty much what I expected. Ep1 was really dumb and I felt like I lost a ton of braincells watching a stupid joke that wasn't very funny. Ep2 was much better. Great animation and entertaining if stupid action. Overall the series makes no sense. It's just nonsense served up on a plate. I generally don't care about anything going on at any given time. It feels like a bunch of short promo animations for something else.
Yeah that was how it felt to me too. It feels like an advertisement for the animation style.

Joule

That was some ridiculous fun. As long as they don't overdo any of the crude jokes/repeat it without variation too many times I've no problem with the humor. The action bits were great. It really was like watching some Dead Leaves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll just say I enjoyed it, mostly because it reminded me of Power Puff Girls and Dexter's Lab. I don't mind the sex comedy stuff and the humour itself is relatively benign for me, so while the content doesn't do anything for me, the animation was enough to make it awesome.

Ezalc

It's everything I expected it to be after seeing the preview. A batshit insane anime with crude humor that makes you wonder what the hell the people that make it are smoking. I'll continue to watch it. The transformation scene is my favorite part.

Trickster

Just watched it, liked it quite a lot. I just hope that they won't keep having 2 stories per episode.

Also, the music in the show is great, especially in the transformation scene.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Trickster said:
Just watched it, liked it quite a lot. I just hope that they won't keep having 2 stories per episode.

That's the format of the entire series.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So basically Gainax really wanted to get another one of their shows on adult swim, and decided the best method would be to just copy the formula themselves.

Except they forgot the humor.

Perhaps they made the mistake of imitating Tim & Eric

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This feels like some kind of anti-weeaboo anime.

I wasn't exactly floored by the content either but will continue watching just for the style and complete lack of subtlety.

Foxix Von

l99xt.gif
t27SC.gif

I posted these in the anime thread, feel free to use :D

If no one wants them I'll probably just add them into my rotation.

grandjedi6 said:
So basically Gainax really wanted to get another one of their shows on adult swim, and decided the best method would be to just copy the formula themselves.

Except they forgot the humor.

Perhaps they made the mistake of imitating Tim & Eric

I was actually thinking how awesome this would be on Adult Swim. If only they thought anime was still profitable.

Also, Tim and Eric is great :lol

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
I was actually thinking how awesome this would be on Adult Swim. If only they thought anime was still profitable.

Also, Tim and Eric is great :lol
Profitable for the licence holders, but why bother when you can own your own IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom