• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax's new TV show: Hiroyuki Imaishi's "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jexhius said:
Profitable for the licence holders, but why bother when you can own your own IP.

I just assumed they wanted more anime considering they complain about the lack of ratings in the bumps all the time.

But yeah, their original shows have been carrying them for quite some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It sucks since that's one of the few blocks where anime still airs on basic cable.

Danj

Negator said:
I yelled out loud multiple times during the first half, "What the fuck am I watching!?"

I yelled out loud multiple times during the second half, "This is fucking awesome!"

Haha, that's pretty much exactly what I did, too. I went into it thinking "this is going to be utter crap but I should at least check it out to see what all the fuss is about" and came out thinking "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME". I can definitely see what people were saying about the grossout stuff in the first half though.

But yeah I plan to carry on watching this.

JKTrix

This was about what I expected, which was okay. They should have more sections animated 'traditionally' in the future, just as often as they use the tokusatsu explosions.

Jex

duckroll said:
Sorry, didn't see this thread. Will post here instead.

Panty & Stocking.... errr.... well it was pretty much what I expected. Ep1 was really dumb and I felt like I lost a ton of braincells watching a stupid joke that wasn't very funny. Ep2 was much better. Great animation and entertaining if stupid action. Overall the series makes no sense. It's just nonsense served up on a plate. I generally don't care about anything going on at any given time. It feels like a bunch of short promo animations for something else.
This became even more apparent on a re-watch (I was pretty tired last night). There's this pause in Ep1 and all I can think is "Is this supposed to be funny? Is this the joke?".

Transformation sequence is kind of misnomer for that whole scene as well, I mean they "transform" pretty much instantly, and then all they do is a semi-tame dance.

Episode 2 was fun though, I'm certainly glad they aren't longer.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Panty&stocking was exactly what i expected - which was pure awesomeness. Imaishi doesn't disappoint - the animation, direction, action - all top-notch. I'm excited about next week, if the rest of the series is on-par with this first episode except crazier and more over-the-top it should deliver.

And :lol panty is sluttier then i expected. I need a new panty avatar to use here! :D

This became even more apparent on a re-watch (I was pretty tired last night). There's this pause in Ep1 and all I can think is "Is this supposed to be funny? Is this the joke?".
I didn't laugh at any of the crude humor. But i still found it throughly entertaining.

Dresden

I don't even know what Tim and Eric is. The only shows I've watched on CN over the last few years are Flapjack and Sym-Bionic Titan.

But this would be great for Adult Swim.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm totally biased against anime (animu am I right? oh lol) but this looks pretty hilarious. Exploding claymation monster sealed it in the youtube video.

Feathers

Howdo, just flicked through this thread, and I neeeeeeeeeeeeeedd the song that played during that transformation dowacky. Consider this show picked up (?), if only for the music.

7Th

PanSto is the first show of the season with episodes that easily stand re-watches. I know you guys hated the "dialogue" for the first episode, but I thought that, as mindless as it was, it was smooth and flowing and as insane and "on-your-face" it was not awkward at all. It really helps that the way in which the characters are animated during the idle-chatter scenes is creative and inventive and not just the typical anime mouth-flaps.

Anyway, reading the #panty&stocking hastag on Twitter is great fun; the staff members are probably laughing their ass off at the crazily mixed reactions. This one was the best quote of them all:

Saying it now: Panty and Stocking is this season's "are you cool" litmus test. Utterly brilliant.

Danj

Defuser said:
This show would definitely benefit with english voice acting.

It kinda seems to me that English dubs of anime don't capture the full range of expression of the characters - not necessarily because the voice actors can't do it, but at least in some cases because the companies who employ them don't let them watch the Japanese version of the show before getting them to start work on it.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Danj said:
It kinda seems to me that English dubs of anime don't capture the full range of expression of the characters - not necessarily because the voice actors can't do it, but at least in some cases because the companies who employ them don't let them watch the Japanese version of the show before getting them to start work on it.
That's not true, practically every voice acting studio plays a cue of the Japanese line to the VA to give them an idea of the tone.

Danj

Sage00 said:
That's not true, practically every voice acting studio plays a cue of the Japanese line to the VA to give them an idea of the tone.

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but certainly as far as some of the American dub VAs who've attended UK anime conventions are concerned there have seemingly been exceptions to that.

7Th

Dead Leaves' dub was actually pretty good, something like that would be pretty much perfect for PanSto.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm a Gainax whore, but that doesn't make me love everything they put out there. I'll have to see more of this before I decide how I feel about it but so far, I'm not a fan. I'm not too much of a fan of Imaishi's either, so that may explain that (Dead Leaves was hit and miss, his best stuff from Kare Kano were all of the "manga" scenes, and Tengen was great until the second half where it really fell apart by the end and was directly inspired by a much better franchise, Getter Robo).

BTW 7th, your OP is incorrect. Imaishi didn't direct a single episode of Kare Kano. He did the script for one episode, storyboards several others. When Anno left the show, Tsurumaki took over as director. Not Imaishi.

I wonder how much better Tengen would have been if Tsurumaki was director though...

7Th

Kintaro said:
BTW 7th, your OP is incorrect. Imaishi didn't direct a single episode of Kare Kano. He did the script for one episode, storyboards several others. When Anno left the show, Tsurumaki took over as director. Not Imaishi.

I don't think you know exactly how episode directors work.

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
I think you are overselling Panty & Stocking w/GB's quality here. It's no Superjail.

Well, I'm just saying that it is the closest comparison because they're both are animator-driven shows, which makes them completely different from pretty much everything else on Adult Swim, which is mostly all about the script or the ideas.

icarus-daedelus said:
Compared to the strong competition from... ?

I wasn't exactly comparing it to the rest of the season. I said it was the first first episode that I could rewatch. It's not exactly an assestment of superiority, even!

Panty & Stocking reminds me of an Adult Swim show, except Japanese...

I've heard that The Powerpuff Girls was an inspiration too, and it kind of does feel like an Adult Swim Powerpuff Girls inspired show or something... it's got the 12 minute episodes of those shows, too. Except, well, made in Japan. I'd say "and weird", but Adult Swim shows are weird already, so it wouldn't be accurate... but it's got lots of sex jokes and bathroom humor, so yeah.

Essentially, for anime it's very, very nonstandard. Is this good or bad? I don't know, I'm not a huge fan of most Adult Swim-style shows... I did like a few (Robot Chicken, ATHF), but most of them, not so much. And I don't think I've found bathroom humor funny since junior high... yeah, it was kind of gross. But still, overall, it was amusing. It's not the greatest show ever, but it's definitely alright. I think the uniqueness factor (that shows like this so rarely come from Japan) helps it...

I mean, when I think of Adult Swim animes I've seen that even remotely felt, well, US Adult Swim show-ish, the top one I can think of is probably Super Milk-Chan, but as far as I know there really aren't many such shows. I wonder if this'll end up on Adult Swim sometime...

Teknoman

A Black Falcon said:
Panty & Stocking reminds me of an Adult Swim show, except Japanese...

I've heard that The Powerpuff Girls was an inspiration too, and it kind of does feel like an Adult Swim Powerpuff Girls inspired show or something... it's got the 12 minute episodes of those shows, too. Except, well, made in Japan. I'd say "and weird", but Adult Swim shows are weird already, so it wouldn't be accurate... but it's got lots of sex jokes and bathroom humor, so yeah.

Essentially, for anime it's very, very nonstandard. Is this good or bad? I don't know, I'm not a huge fan of most Adult Swim-style shows... I did like a few (Robot Chicken, ATHF), but most of them, not so much. And I don't think I've found bathroom humor funny since junior high... yeah, it was kind of gross. But still, overall, it was amusing. It's not the greatest show ever, but it's definitely alright. I think the uniqueness factor (that shows like this so rarely come from Japan) helps it...

I mean, when I think of Adult Swim animes I've seen that even remotely felt, well, US Adult Swim show-ish, the top one I can think of is probably Super Milk-Chan, but as far as I know there really aren't many such shows. I wonder if this'll end up on Adult Swim sometime...

Yeah just Milk-chan, Shin-Chan, and that show with the cats:

29w34zo.jpg

...got that transformation sequence & song stuck in my head.

jman2050

First episode owned. I lost it at the "transformation" in the first segment.

This is so obviously Gainax through and through.

Nishastra

Banned
My avatar(s) might make it a bit obvious, but I loved the first episode.

I especially love the crappy exploding model deaths :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I fell in love with the show the moment the goth girl sliced the truck in half.

That sold it to me that this series will be the shit.

Novid

Banned
This show - it's the first try at a modern era, westernized anime. did it hit it out of the park? No, but if this show aint in AS in a year or 18 months then the dubbers got no balls and no guts and a bunch of hick prick douchebags.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Novid said:
This show - it's the first try at a modern era, westernized anime. did it hit it out of the park? No, but if this show aint in AS in a year or 18 months then the dubbers got no balls and no guts and a bunch of hick prick douchebags.

Seriously, this would be perfect for a localization.

It is almost halfway there with an artstyle that is very cool.

Kintaro

Novid said:

Don't count on it. Gainax wants a shit ton of money for their projects and that's something AS, or any R1 company isn't going to do.

You think this is "westernized anime"? Really? WTF was Cowboy Bebop to you?

Kintaro

Dresden said:
He probably just means in that Cartoon Network, Tartakovsky-style way.

Ah. It's more like the Japanese taking Power Puff Girls Z, sexing them up while snorting a big bump of coke and violence.

um...i want to like this but the sexual overtones are too typical pent-up, subversive japanese for me. i think for this kind of stylized action, dead leaves suits me better.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow this show got rule 34'ed so quickly. Just watched it myself, i'm not quite sure what to think. I've never been a fan of that type of animation style.

I just had to chime in and say HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME.

First anime since Gurren Lagann that I will be keeping up with. And yeah, the transformation music was the SHIT.

alright, this was pretty badass. didn't really find it as funny but i thought overall it was a pretty fun experience.

love the artstyle, how stylized everything is, awesome angles n shit. the music is great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom