• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Definitely! Such a highlight of ACoK.

ACoK
Was Yoren's story the genesis of Arya's name-list/prayer? Was his story about Willem even in CoK? Just curious; can't remember.

The scene was added for the show, and it was great. Probably the best TV original scene yet, imo.

My only concern for Brienne is how they handle
her idealism and naivety, she shouldn't come off as just some sullen person who wants to be a knight.

Also, Cat was a terrible envoy. All her dialogue was good to set the scene, but those were just her thoughts, not actually what she said in the book, right? Imma come down, not kneel, and then piss all over your army in the process. And in front of everybody, too. It was kind of funny though.

;)

Yeah, he seemed to have a strange voice, though doesn't he have a very prominent lisp in the books?

Thinking of Vargo Hoat, the Goat maybe?

Just in case CoK spoilers
Apparently not cast yet? Combined with Lorch, maybe? I figured they would axe Lorch and combine him with the Mountain, but Lorch with Hoat might work.

Great episode tonight. Yoren was a badass, and I'm glad they changed it. Also loved Theon's note. Tyrion's sleuthing scenes were excellent in execution and had me and my friend laughing. Also, Bran/Summer scene was awesome. Not looking forward to the week wait :(

XD That might be my favorite episode so far. Loved it.
I was practically cheering at the look on Tyrion's face when he snowed them all.
Yoren was a boss.

Vyer

Awesome episode. Brienne is perfect, and I liked how they handled Yoren.

Margery/renly stuff was hilarious. Interesting how we are told a lot more about what she knows on the show, though one would have guessed as much.

My only concern for Brienne is how they handle
her idealism and naivety, she shouldn't come off as just some sullen person who wants to be a knight.

I didn't get that at all...

she just came off as someone who desperately wants to be at Renly's side.
Her intro worked pretty well in my opinion. What I thought didn't work as well was the battle with Yoren and the group.
I can only assume that they are saving their epic battle budget for the battle at Blackwater, but I couldn't help but feel let down. I wanted to see Arya screaming Winterfell! I was also curious as to who she cleaved between the legs with an axe (if i remember the scene in the book correctly) It was written in such a way that I actually assumed that it may have been someone she knew.
It just seemed like it was over all to quickly and anticlimactically.

Thinking of Vargo Hoat, the Goat maybe?

Just in case CoK spoilers
Apparently not cast yet? Combined with Lorch, maybe? I figured they would axe Lorch and combine him with the Mountain, but Lorch with Hoat might work.

I don't think Vargo shows up yet...

He probably won't be seen till they reach Harrenhal.

XD That might be my favorite episode so far. Loved it.
I was practically cheering at the look on Tyrion's face when he snowed them all.
Yoren was a boss.

The Tyrion narrative is keeping it real for me. Love where it seems to be heading... Definitely my favorite episode of the season so far.

Her intro worked pretty well in my opinion.

I'm not saying that's how she came across in this episode, just that I hope that doesn't happen in the future. We didn't get much of an opportunity to see her personality there, she barely spoke and had a helmet on half of the time.

I won't make a long review post, but the one thing I do want to talk about (that few seem to be mentioning) is how great Maester Luwin has been this season. I love the fatherly role he has taken in the absence of Ned. That scene with Bran was great. What a great, warm performance

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Definitely a step up from last episode (which had it's fair share of nitpicky stuff).

Loved what they're doing with Margaery. She's incredibly conscious of her role in all this. Episode made me feel sorry for Sansa... which the books never did. Well, apart from the (ACOK)
strip down scene

The new scene with Yoren and Arya was great. (small series spoiler)
Can't wait until Arya starts reciting her nightly prayers.

Her intro worked pretty well in my opinion. What I thought didn't work as well was the battle with Yoren and the group.
I can only assume that they are saving their epic battle budget for the battle at Blackwater, but I couldn't help but feel let down. I wanted to see Arya screaming Winterfell! I was also curious as to who she cleaved between the legs with an axe (if i remember the scene in the book correctly) It was written in such a way that I actually assumed that it may have been someone she knew.
It just seemed like it was over all to quickly and anticlimactically.
It felt more like they played it for time more than for budget. I think they wanted to make it dramatic and short and I think did that.

Paches

Best episode so far this season.

All book spoilers:

Oh my god, a tear almost came to my eye when Theon burned the paper for Robb. Poor Reek :(((((

I won't make a long review post, but the one thing I do want to talk about (that few seem to be mentioning) is how great Maester Luwin has been this season. I love the fatherly role he has taken in the absence of Ned. That scene with Bran was great. What a great, warm performance

Indeed. Also underrated in S1 and also TGWTDT.

Maester Luwin has rocked the entire series. 1000% improvement over the books.

Magnus

I'm watching it again, and there's an unmistakable tear out of Theon's left eye as he turns to glance at his family post-baptism. Little detail, love it.

I also thought this episode was written significantly better than the previous ones (which is not to say the first two eps were bad, I thought the first was great and the second was good). Bryan Cogman just gets the series, and its characters. There were more than a few book changes in the episode yet each felt like a well done change meant to speed things up (without feeling too fast). Also his handling of exposition was impressive, and there was no ridiculous sex (although Weiss/Benioff would have given us a Renly/Loras/Margery threesome...I wouldn't be mad at that)

I also liked the strict focus on just a handful of characters. Jon and Sam had a few scenes but ultimately this episode was about Tyrion, Theon, and Renly - with Arya ending the episode. The show works pretty well when it manages to have an underlining theme, and this week the focus was again on power/ruling. Be it the compromises involved with being a king (Renly and Margery's "relationship"), the consolidation of power (Tyrion), or the ambition and betrayal power can create (Theon); the Night Watch's alliance with Craster struck me as another example of compromise, but of ideals/morality.

Van Owen

Banned
How long before
The Mountain
shows up?

Defeated by Spartacus.

i2jSooq7jES9O.gif

that gif :jnc

Yeah, amazing episode. I can't fucking WAIT for the scene where Joff nearly tortures/indirectly rapes Sansa. Going to be so cool.

One thing I'm a little bummed about: Sander Clegane is like barely used :(

scosher

I think Yara is the first casting choice I don't like. Not because she's fat or whatever, I think she looks great. She needs to own that character though, she is way too quiet and broody.

I think she looks awful, and her performance hasn't won me over. Her posture is terrible and doesn't show off Asha's trademark confidence. Her facial expression is also pretty grim and dour and she comes across as some schoolyard bully. Asha in the books has a more fiery confidence, but even when dealing with Theon you could tell there's at least some warmth there, even if she openly mocks him.

One last point: the fight choreography is greatly improved in this season. From the Hound's battle in ep1 to the melee and final skirmish (well, "battle" according to Hot Pie), the movement looks far more fluid than the rather slow fighting shown throughout S1 (especially the Ned v Jamie battle). The Night's Watch ambush actually reminded me of the mountain ambush in S1 to some degrees; I thought that was the best fight scene in the first season, and tonight was like an even better version. Yoren was kicking major ass

I'm sorry to be rude but Asha looks like a foot.

When she's not smirking like an idiot she's... oh wait she's always doing that - never mind.

In before stupid .gif.

I also thought this episode was written significantly better than the previous ones (which is not to say the first two eps were bad, I thought the first was great and the second was good). Bryan Cogman just gets the series, and its characters. There were more than a few book changes in the episode yet each felt like a well done change meant to speed things up (without feeling too fast). Also his handling of exposition was impressive, and there was no ridiculous sex (although Weiss/Benioff would have given us a Renly/Loras/Margery threesome...I wouldn't be mad at that)

It's interesting, because I recall the episode he wrote for season 1 being one of the weaker episodes of the season, while this episode was great. And Cogman wrote the sexposition scene with Viserys in the tub.

It felt more like they played it for time more than for budget. I think they wanted to make it dramatic and short and I think did that.

Maybe... I mean don't get me wrong, the scene obviously played out better than Tyrion's battle with Robb's auxiliary army played out in Season 1, but still, time or money constraints, it still sort of disappointed me. I can't help but feel that the shows audience (as in those that never read the books) are missing out on a lot of what makes Arya's character who she is. The shit she goes through is integral to who she becomes and it is made only that much more powerful given her age in all of this! But at the same time, i guess if you haven't read the book than it really isn't that big of a deal since this is the character you attach yourself to.

It's interesting, because I recall the episode he wrote for season 1 being one of the weaker episodes of the season, while this episode was great. And he wrote the sexposition scene with Viserys in the tub.

That's true. I thought his ep from S1 was good overall, outside of that Viserys scene. It also had that great scene introducing Sam

Gritesh

I'm not even going to read anything in this thread because I don't want ANY spoilers.

But.

I have been seeing how popular this show is on GAF and heard a few people in my day to day life mention the show is pretty good.

I bought the blu-ray box set on Friday night, and I was out of town on Saturday, but I watched the first two episodes on Friday night, then my wife made me re-watch them tonight and I finally got to see epsode 3.

THIS FUCKING SHOW!

I just cannot get enough, it is amazing, I'm completely engrossed in the story and the characters and the settings.

I went into this not knowing a damn thing about what it was about, and I'm completely hooked.

I'm seething to see more of scenes showcasing north of the great wall, cannot wait man.

Anyways thanks GAF for turning me onto this show.

THIS FUCKING SHOW MAN!

apana

I agree with you a hundred percent about Maester Luwin. I keep thinking they are not going to pay attention to Bran this season but they are just nailing his scenes. Isaac is a talented little actor as well, it is hard to play that part right. Lommy's death was a bit strange though, it would have worked better if they hadn't so obviously broadcasted it before it was about to happen. Also I still love Hot Pie. ACOK spoiler:
No yelling "Hot Pie" during the battle. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love how AFFC ends with "look forward to A Dance with Dragons [in 2006, five years prior to its actual publication]!"

what an enormous cock tease that must have been

KingK

Why? She just rambled about dragons for 10 minutes. I thought it was the most boring unneeded scene so far in the series.

All of the sexposition from season 1 seemed unneeded and boring. At least that one had the hottest girl in the show and it seemed the most "natural" to me.

I love how AFFC ends with "look forward to A Dance with Dragons [in 2006, five years prior to its actual publication]!"

what an enormous cock tease that must have been

6 years bro. You read the paper back a year after the first print.

So brutal for long time fans. I was lucky enough to get into it at the end of 08 and devoured them then. I cant imagine having started in 1996.

Can't get over the fact he gave up his role for a one off on Spartacus. :\

Dany being grinded was.

Isnt he in the hobbit as well?

EDIT: SHOW TALK:

Loved what they did with margery here. Great introduction and played very well. She is a woman who knows what kind of role she has and is a willing player. The opposite of sansa at this point.

Peru

What was good about this episode was that most of the scenes were emotional. We need some of that, even though cynicism prevails in this show - and in the face of a fast moving plot it's absolutely essential to get inside characters' heads like in this episod.

Maybe... I mean don't get me wrong, the scene obviously played out better than Tyrion's battle with Robb's auxiliary army played out in Season 1, but still, time or money constraints, it still sort of disappointed me. I can't help but feel that the shows audience (as in those that never read the books) are missing out on a lot of what makes Arya's character who she is. The shit she goes through is integral to who she becomes and it is made only that much more powerful given her age in all of this! But at the same time, i guess if you haven't read the book than it really isn't that big of a deal since this is the character you attach yourself to.

I think that's why they added that scene of her and Yoren. They are trying to solidify her character in other ways. I think they have done a decent job of it, maybe not great. Where they go from here becomes important though.

I thought they pretty much ruined that ending scene with Arya/Gendry/Yoren etc. It's a shame they're going to cut so damn much out of Arya's storyline, but even so the way they did it was kind of ridiculous.

I mean, really, some random dude just trips and sets the thing on fire near the wagon? They're not going to hold out in the keep/fort and have a battle? No screaming "Winterfell!" or "Hot Pie!"? No escape for them for a while, trying to get away on their own?

The only real plus was they made Yoren seem like a real badass, but other than that it felt so timid and weak compared to what was presented in the books.

And once again they take away another of Arya's chances to show how much of a badass she is. First they take away the scene of her beating the crap out of Hot Pie (I think?), then they take away the scene of her killing dudes during this battle. All she seems to do is stumble around and lose her sword, which makes the whole stuff with Syrio before seem like he just wasted his time on her.

Argh. I get the budgetary concerns but ... *sigh*

Okay, other thoughts:
+ Tyrion scene handled well
+ Loved Littlefinger's performance, really sold his distaste for being played while hinting at his aspirations
+ Brienne came off well, she did a great job with a very masculine performance
+ Theon was great in this episode. Great performance, they did a good job at getting into his character.
+ Loved the Bran scene, all of his scenes make me happy. Luwin doing a good job too.

- Still don't like "Yara"
- Still very worried about (Bran-related, CoK)
the non-casting of Jojen and Meera and what that means for Bran's wolf dream developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom