• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespene

I just read from GRRM's blog that season 3 will be [aSoS]
roughly the first half of the 3rd book, concluding with the Red Wedding.

FUCK!

- Still very worried about (Bran-related, CoK)
the non-casting of Jojen and Meera and what that means for Bran's wolf dream developments.

Well, according to the show runners...

"David Benioff noted during the airing of the second season that they would delay the introduction of several key characters first appearing in A Clash of Kings until the third season, citing the large number of characters already introduced in season two. Dan Weiss added that they couldn't afford to have people "waiting around" for their characters to become central to the plot."

So don't count them out just yet.

Also... the more I see how they adapt the Iron Islands story, the less I am concerned about the future. [aFfC][aDwD]
Those chapters in the book were somewhat boring to many readers not because of the events or the culture of the characters, but because of the POV character we were seeing the events play out with. Damphair was pretty throw away IMO, and so will the Martell's guard. The story of the Sand Snakes is awesome and I think the show runners will tell it true without having Areo Hotah get in the way.

I thought they pretty much ruined that ending scene with Arya/Gendry/Yoren etc. It's a shame they're going to cut so damn much out of Arya's storyline, but even so the way they did it was kind of ridiculous.

I mean, really, some random dude just trips and sets the thing on fire near the wagon? They're not going to hold out in the keep/fort and have a battle? No screaming "Winterfell!" or "Hot Pie!"? No escape for them for a while, trying to get away on their own?

The only real plus was they made Yoren seem like a real badass, but other than that it felt so timid and weak compared to what was presented in the books.

And once again they take away another of Arya's chances to show how much of a badass she is. First they take away the scene of her beating the crap out of Hot Pie (I think?), then they take away the scene of her killing dudes during this battle. All she seems to do is stumble around and lose her sword, which makes the whole stuff with Syrio before seem like he just wasted his time on her.

Argh. I get the budgetary concerns but ... *sigh*

Have to agree. I'm disappointed with how they've handled the Arya storyline up to this point. The set up and events during the battle in the book made the following events really intriguing. How it happened on the show makes it feel more like "Ehh, so yeah, that happened." Maybe someone watching fresh feels differently though.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed that episode.

Lothar

Banned
I just read from GRRM's blog that season 3 will be [aSoS]
roughly the first half of the 3rd book, concluding with the Red Wedding.

FUCK!

I didn't see him say that it would be concluding there. Hope not because that would be the shittiest decision ever. What made it a shock in the books was because of it's in the middle placement.

apana

I thought they pretty much ruined that ending scene with Arya/Gendry/Yoren etc. It's a shame they're going to cut so damn much out of Arya's storyline, but even so the way they did it was kind of ridiculous.

I mean, really, some random dude just trips and sets the thing on fire near the wagon? They're not going to hold out in the keep/fort and have a battle? No screaming "Winterfell!" or "Hot Pie!"? No escape for them for a while, trying to get away on their own?

The only real plus was they made Yoren seem like a real badass, but other than that it felt so timid and weak compared to what was presented in the books.

And once again they take away another of Arya's chances to show how much of a badass she is. First they take away the scene of her beating the crap out of Hot Pie (I think?), then they take away the scene of her killing dudes during this battle. All she seems to do is stumble around and lose her sword, which makes the whole stuff with Syrio before seem like he just wasted his time on her.

Argh. I get the budgetary concerns but ... *sigh*

Okay, other thoughts:
+ Tyrion scene handled well
+ Loved Littlefinger's performance, really sold his distaste for being played while hinting at his aspirations
+ Brienne came off well, she did a great job with a very masculine performance
+ Theon was great in this episode. Great performance, they did a good job at getting into his character.
+ Loved the Bran scene, all of his scenes make me happy. Luwin doing a good job too.

- Still don't like "Yara"
- Still very worried about (Bran-related, CoK)
the non-casting of Jojen and Meera and what that means for Bran's wolf dream developments.

They are handling it very well. I am confident they really understand his story, they are doing even better than in season 1 with the exception of Old Nan who unfortunately can't show up now. [ACOK]
As to the casting of Meera and Jojen, I think that along with Reek will happen in season 3.
Also what was wrong with Littlefinger's voice? He keeps changing accents every scene.

I was also disappointed about Arya's scene in some respects but they made up for it in other ways. It wasn't the battle as told in the books but they got the basic point across.

The further we get into the show the more disappointed I am in the score. It's just bland. Can't remember where but I remember recently seeing it described as "functional," which really does seem like all it strives to be.

Vespene

I didn't see him say that it would be concluding there. Hope not because that would be the shittiest decision ever. What made it a shock in the books was because of it's in the middle placement.

Pretty sure they will. It happens roughly halfway through the book, and they won't leave that for the first episodes of season 4.

Lothar

Banned
Have to agree. I'm disappointed with how they've handled the Arya storyline up to that point. The set up and events during the battle in the book made the following really intriguing. How it happened on the show makes it feel more like "Ehh, so yeah, that happened." Maybe someone watching fresh feels differently though.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed that episode.

I 100% agree. The Arya chapters were by far my favorite in the book. So far they aren't coming close to matching it. It was actually an ordeal for her in the book just being without Yoren after he died, seeing the kids have to survive on their own. She had to eat worms to survive. They're really butchering her story up.

Gvaz

Banned
Littlefinger sounds fine, but I'm pissed they shortened the whole capture event and didn't even give any screentime to Lommy Greenhands.

I liked the extra backstory to Yoren, it helped to establish how much of a badass he was that tv viewers don't get by not reading the book.

I also liked how they established that Arya got her nightly prayers from Yoren, rather than by herself, though I did like that part of her character I can see her being less likable by coming up with it herself. (Or maybe I missed that convo? I don't remember it anyways)

I liked the extra background with Margret but eh.

The Maid of Tarth is lovely and is my wife. I want to marry her and have babies with her, book character and actor.

Series Spoilers
I've had enough with the equal opportunity sexing, come the fuck on and die to shadow baby already Renly!

Sorry if this has been answered before but does a tv season = one book? After tonight's episode where would we be in the books? May start reading the books so I'm curious.

I was also disappointed about Arya's scene in some respects but they made up for it in other ways. It wasn't the battle as told in the books but they got the basic point across.

I guess they got the point across that there was a battle, yeah, and that Yoren died and that she helped the dudes in the wagon.

But they have failed to show so much of what Arya's scenes in the book have brought to the table up to this point. Besides what I listed above, they have completely missed using her perspective to show how badly the land has been ravaged by war. From the perspectives we've seen, it seems like things are actually going pretty well around the world. Her scenes helped show the misery and devastation. But instead they put them in a pretty forested area with a creek.

Ultimately she's a way stronger character in the book, and they're making her seem a lot meeker in the show, and not as hardy.

Gvaz

Banned
Sorry if this has been answered before but does a tv season = one book? After tonight's episode where would we be in the books? May start reading the books so I'm curious.
Like 20% ish? They move shit all around, like the end segment was more like near halfway towards the book but they merged two-three sequences together

I guess they got the point across that there was a battle, yeah, and that Yoren died and that she helped the dudes in the wagon.

But they have failed to show so much of what Arya's scenes in the book have brought to the table up to this point. Besides what I listed above, they have completely missed using her perspective to show how badly the land has been ravaged by war. From the perspectives we've seen, it seems like things are actually going pretty well around the world. Her scenes helped show the misery and devastation. But instead they put them in a pretty forested area with a creek.

Well the thing with a tv show is they no longer need her to help do the world building, when they can just show some scenes of it being ravaged for a few seconds.

Lothar

Banned
Pretty sure they will. It happens roughly halfway through the book, and they won't leave that for the first episodes of season 4.

They should. Both because it would be more surprising and because it happens on page 700 out of 1128. What happens after that would make for a really weak season 4. Take the third season from the first 700 pages, the fourth season from the next 400? That doesn't make much sense.

If you are going to read the books I strongly recommend starting at the beginning-even if you feel you know the story from the show. There's so much you'll have missed out on otherwise.

Lothar

Banned

So far yeah, it's 1 season, 1 book. The book for Season 2 is Clash of Kings. You can start reading it and follow along it fine if you want to. But there are lots of cool scenes from the GoT book that you'll be missing out on. Example: Tyrion did not get knocked out before the battle in the book. The battle actually happened and it was an incredible 20 pages.

Like 20% ish? They move shit all around, like the end segment was more like near halfway towards the book but they merged two-three sequences together

Well the thing with a tv show is they no longer need her to help do the world building, when they can just show some scenes of it being ravaged for a few seconds.

20% ish of what? The first book or the second or what?

And for the books is this a good set or is there a better one/more complete one with A Dance with Dragons out there? Looks like this is a new edition since it has the HBO branding and Sean Bean on the box cover. Not a fan of later edition book covers after they've been made into tv shows or movies. I like the original first edition covers but 4 books for $20 seems like a great deal, no? Suggestions?

MDavis, Lothar - thanks! I will read from the start of course.

Link: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/0345529057

Vespene

They should. Both because it would be more surprising and because it happens on page 700 out of 1128. What happens after that would make for a really weak season 4. Take the third season from the first 700 pages, the fourth season from the next 400? That doesn't make much sense.

D.B. has always said that from now on the seasons won't follow the books. There may very well be seasons that start halfway through one book and end during another book. I think they were alluding to this when they made that comment.

GCX

20% ish of what? The first book or the second or what?

And for the books is this a good set or is there a better one/more complete one with A Dance with Dragons out there? Looks like this is a new edition since it has the HBO branding and Sean Bean on the box cover. Not a fan of later edition book covers after they've been made into tv shows or movies. I like the original first edition covers but 4 books for $20 seems like a great deal, no? Suggestions?
Season 1 covers the first book and season 2 the second.

The "Sean Bean edition" books still have the original covers, only with some HBO text added to them. It's a great deal.

Vyer

People have got to take this narrative for what it is and stop comparing it with the book. That just doesn't work. It never does with this type of stuff. It just can't. Not enough time, money, resources, etc. etc. If a person can't make the separation they are absolutely never going to be able to fully enjoy the show. And it's only going to get worse.

Lothar

Banned
no, Yoren! :(

also, the book doesn't really give an answer to the riddle either, or does it?

Heh, yeah, he gave the answer. In the book, he lets him think about it. In the show, he just told him. Power resides where man believe it resides.

People have got to take this narrative for what it is and stop comparing it with the book. That just doesn't work. It never does with this type of stuff. It just can't. Not enough time, money, resources, etc. etc. If a person can't make the separation they are absolutely never going to be able to fully enjoy the show. And it's only going to get worse.

Everything but Arya is a flawless adaption from the book in the last episode. Arya is really one thing that could have been handled a lot better though because of what people here have said. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect her scenes to be done as well as the others.

Season 1 covers the first book and season 2 the second.

The "Sean Bean edition" books still have the original covers, only with some HBO text added to them. It's a great deal.

Thanks. Picked up that box set for $20. Will pick up A Dance with Dragons separately when I finish the first 4. Seems its not even out yet on paperback so gives me time to finish the first 4 in time for the paperback release. :D

Apath

I thought this was by far the weakest episode so far. The battle at the end with the "night's watch" (just Yoren really) vs. the Lannisters was really meh and I really didn't like how it closed with Arya's cheesy line. Was also disappointed Grand Maester Pycell wasn't naked and pissing himself.

Might be a good idea for them to, you know, try doing that sometime then. Right now it feels like a bunch of isolated people that don't have to worry about the rabble at all. Honestly with how it's been presented, the world seems like just a gorgeous place, and it doesn't seem like war has really touched much of anything.

Meh. Other than Arya's stuff, I am really enjoying the show, including the parts where they stray from the books. Actually, some of those are the strongest parts, including the scenes with Margaery in this episode.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yoren was such a badass. I liked that.

Great episode, best so far this season now that the pieces are finally starting to move and we see actual threads being woven.

Particularly enjoyed the Margery and Theon scenes. Tyrion too. Actually, it was all really good.

Kuroyume

Banned
Episode was good but I'm annoyed with they way they've handled the Arya storyline. 10 episodes isn't enough. I'm not saying that it needs to have every detail from the book but it really hurts the character development when everything is so rushed. I had a problem with Arya trusting Gendry so quickly and revealing her identity to him. Now you have Lommy dying and there's no emotional impact on it whatsoever. Oh hey, some kid that was on the screen for like 4 minutes just died. Who cares? The same thing goes for her saving Jagen and the other two. That scene was so poorly choreographed. I didn't feel they were in that much danger with the fire. Also, I'm not too pleased either with how clumsy she was during that fight.

Everything else was pretty good. High points were Brienne, Renly/Margery scene, and the Theon/Greyjoy stuff. I'm actually enjoying the Greyjoy stuff more than I did in the book. That scene were Theon reminds Balon that he bent the knee and gave him away was great. Also, really nice scene where he burns the letter he was going to send to Robb. The rebirth scene wasn't handled as well. I wish they actually had Aeron there. Makes me wonder if he will appear in the series at all.

Btw, they need to get some Sansa/Hound in there already.

apana

Ultimately she's a way stronger character in the book, and they're making her seem a lot meeker in the show, and not as hardy.

Don't expect too much of this. Yeah the show would be better if they did it like that but this is a tv show already short on time and budget. We won't get too much of the journey aspect and silent observational moments we get in the books. It takes up time, you need more actors, more locations, wider area to film and get the cameras in place. I'm not saying it is impossible, just a gigantic pain in the ass for them to do. Also remember that it is hard to get a scene right in a few takes. Doing a big battle will take time as well as resources. Some big time directors like Nolan really force their special effects and stunt people to choreograph complex action sequences in just a few takes but a regular tv show crew wouldn't be able to get it done like that.

First time posting in any GoT related GAF threads, but just putting my 2 cents in.

The deeper the tv series goes into the story the less i am enjoying it. After reading through the entire series 5 times over the last 12+ years and spending years on the Westeros forums discussing every little detail its hard to see it objectively. I can accept that it is a separate thing and i can appreciate the effort they have put into it and the cuts that they have to make, but every time something is changed or left out i cringe lol.

Vyer

Everything but Arya is a flawless adaption from the book in the last episode. Arya is really one thing that could have been handled a lot better though because of what people here have said. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect her scenes to be done as well as the others.

'flawless adaptation' seems a little strong to me, but regardless of how closely one episode may have played it, there's been plenty in the series that has not been a 'flawless adaptation'. And again, all indications are that's only going to be increasingly the case moving forward. It's a different medium, with different constraints, and the folks who don't accept that are going to have a harder and harder time IMO.

Trust me, I know. Just the bungling of Arya's story in this season is making me realize all of the importance she had in the books revolving around her character.

The writers have been pretty good at solving a lot of the book problems in clever ways, in some ways making the show's depiction of events preferable to even the book's. I'm just disappointed that they're missing the mark so much here.

I think they are doing a good job with what there is to work with. She's been through a shitload already, and considering what we know of what's coming down the pike, I think they are building a good foundation
for what she becomes down the line.

Don't expect too much of this. Yeah the show would be better if they did it like that but this is a tv show already short on time and budget. We won't get too much of the journey aspect and silent observational moments we get in the books. It takes up time, you need more actors, more locations, wider area to film and get the cameras in place. I'm not saying it is impossible, just a gigantic pain in the ass for them to do. Also remember that it is hard to get a scene right in a few takes. Doing a big battle will take time as well as resources. Some big time directors like Nolan really force their special effects and stunt people to choreograph complex action sequences in just a few takes but a regular tv show crew wouldn't be able to get it done like that.

Trust me, I know. Just the bungling of Arya's story in this season is making me realize all of the importance she had in the books revolving around her character.

The writers have been pretty good at solving a lot of the book problems in clever ways, in some ways making the show's depiction of events preferable to even the book's. I'm just disappointed that they're missing the mark so much here.

I agree, it would have been nice to see the 4 kids actually escape and play the survival game for a bit but I understand why they did it. Too much story to tell and not enough time. (series)
I'm very glad book 3 will be split into 2 seasons and hopefully they'll be able to bring out the despair of Arya's story a little more. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't have mind if extended her story this season and pushed some of her harenhall story until the next season seeing as her plot gets a little less eventful later on in season 4(last third of book 3)

Edit:
Only thing I'm pissed about is that's not how you pronounce fucking Brienne. It's bri-een, not briin

Really? I always pronounced it as BREE-EN which seems to be the way they say it in the show, so I'm happy.

apana

I get what you are saying. I think they will probably make up for it in other ways, especially with a [ACOK]
very convincing Harrenhal where her and a bunch of other characters can interact. This show seems to be better at creating sets and buildings. Large scale battles, countryside roaming, and flashy special effects haven't been done much yet in a television show. It is a work in progress and I'm sure it will keep improving.

pulga

Banned
Fantastic episode! Highlight of the show for me was Bran's dream and Brienne! Favorite of the season so far.

Everything else was pretty good. High points were Brienne, Renly/Margery scene, and the Theon/Greyjoy stuff. I'm actually enjoying the Greyjoy stuff more than I did in the book. That scene were Theon reminds Balon that he bent the knee and gave him away was great. Also, really nice scene where he burns the letter he was going to send to Robb. The rebirth scene wasn't handled as well. I wish they actually had Aeron there. Makes me wonder if he will appear in the series at all.

Totally agreed on the Greyjoy stuff. I hated it in the book, thought it was so boring, but I'm loving the scenes in the show. Theon actually confronting his father about his actions was great. They've portrayed Theon's identity crisis and his relationship with his father so well (Much better than they did in the book IMO).

The letter was a great scene as well.

Kuroyume

Banned
Spoiler for ADWD:
Not going to quote you Steelyuhas because it could give away that he's still alive...

The way they've handled the Theon stuff so far makes me want the Reek stuff to happen so badly. I know there are GAFFers that don't like or hate ADWD, but I really want to see Theon go from Theon to Reek. One of my favorite transformations in the series. It could be one of the most amazing things ever for the show. You go from despising that character on his first trip pack to Pyke and then the Winterfell stuff to feeling sad for him when he reappears.

The letter was a great scene as well.

tumblr_m2k69vqvSc1qbvaudo1_500.gif

Lothar

Banned
'flawless adaptation' seems a little strong to me, but regardless of how closely one episode may have played it, there's been plenty in the series that has not been a 'flawless adaptation'. And again, all indications are that's only going to be increasingly the case moving forward. It's a different medium, with different constraints, and the folks who don't accept that are going to have a harder and harder time IMO.

By flawless adaptation, I don't mean it was done identically. The episode didn't play it close at all. Some of the best scenes were completely different and new but they fit perfectly. All of the major stuff that we loved about the Ned, Tyrion, Dany, and Theon stories are there. I don't see why Arya has to be any different. I just want her character to be treated with the same respect that Tyrion gets. They don't skimp on his screen time. Why condense Arya's so much?

I agree, it would have been nice to see the 4 kids actually escape and play the survival game for a bit but I understand why they did it. Too much story to tell and not enough time.

Not true. They have time, they're just not using it properly. Depth to Arya's character is more than important than sex scenes that weren't even in the books. Take out the pointless 6 minute brothel scene from last week and give Arya's story more time.

apana

Seriously though is no one else bothered by Littlefinger's accent and the fact that it keeps changing for the worse? He played the character pretty well in season 1 when he didn't overdo it.

Riggs

Banned
This guy speaks truth. Enjoy them separately. Or you will start to hate the show.

Krogan

Seriously though is no one else bothered by Littlefinger's accent and the fact that it keeps changing for the worse? He played the character pretty well in season 1 when he didn't overdo it.

I also don't like it, I hope he can pick one accent and stick to it.

He is a nobody turning himself into a somebody at court. Just take it as (intentional or not) that he loses his cool and forgets to control his accent, and sounds like the backwater lord that he is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Season 2 has been so much better in every single way than the first season. Great deviations from the source material, nice insights into characters that weren't present in the book, all good stuff.

Having just finished AFFC, it's was really cool to see Margery get some early screen-time and character development.

edit: I didn't have a problem with Asha, either. I think she looks the part of Theon's sister amazingly well. She hasn't been given much to work with at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom