• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Collection coming to X1?(Spencer:"I can't announce that. But stay tuned)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I never understood Gears of War. I played the first game and the second game all the way through and I just never understood what everyone saw in it.

Of course it's coming. Every big last-gen first-party series for Microsoft and Sony will make their way to their respective newer platforms. It's such a quick hit, and easy money. Why wouldn't you? I imagine this will announced at E3.

I never understood Gears of War. I played the first game and the second game all the way through and I just never understood what everyone saw in it.

To me it was just so much fun to play. The cover was very fluid and the gun sounds, the feedback of all your weapons and melee. Gears 3 was my favorite for MP, one of the best MP I've ever played. Lots of content and a lot of fun by yourself or with friends.

Navy Bean

Gears 1 MP is still my all-time favorite, and Gears Horde-mode is still the gold standard for me (along with Mass Effect 3's).

These games should be easier to port than MCC as they were all on the 360, right MS?

leeh

For me, it had such a large skill curve and could be played very competitively. The MP was very balanced (excluding the sawnoff) and had a style of play which was very unique. In addition, I think its the game with the most satisfying kills ever.

Gears 1 MP is still my all-time favorite, and Gears Horde-mode is still the gold standard for me (along with Mass Effect 3's).

These games should be easier to port than MCC as they were all on the 360, right MS?

Plus they all used a variant of Unreal Engine.

I would buy this day one if if included 1-3 with all multiplayer maps. I don't think I would ever need another competitive MP game.
Until Gears 4 comes out

Megatron

Wouldn't it be wonderful if, instead of remakes or remasters, we got a new game in the series!

That would be much more exciting.

This over-reliance on HD remasters is just making me sad.

EDIT: Obviously,I should add, I don't speak for everyone and this would be great for people who missed out on the games but a new addition to the franchise is much more appealing at this point.

No it wouldn't. We already know that Black Tusk is working on gears 4, whoever is working on the collection is someone else, probably some one who specializes in ports such as blue point. In that case it literally is a case of the collection being additional and not hindering another game.

And of course it is a new Gen, not everyone has played everything. My best friend got a ps4, his first Sony system. He isn't going to get uncharted 4 until the collection is released because he wants to play them in order. For people like him, these collections are huge.

Gestault

Were there other third person shooters that came before it that you were into, or might it just be a genre taste thing?

I really hope they bring over the Gears of War PC version with the extra chapter. That would be pretty neat.

I've been thinking this same thing as long as the rumor of the remastered collection popped up. I bought the PC version, but there were some issues with GFWL that kept me from playing far enough to get to the brumak fight. You can imagine how thrilled I was.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To me it was just so much fun to play. The cover was very fluid and the gun sounds, the feedback of all your weapons and melee. Gears 3 was my favorite for MP, one of the best MP I've ever played. Lots of content and a lot of fun by yourself or with friends.

Yeah, I didn't really have any criticisms of the mechanics, as such. It was clearly well designed. I just didn't really enjoy them.

I never really understood what everyone saw in the weapon feedback though...I thought they felt a bit weak and ineffective.

Were there other third person shooters that came before it that you were into, or might it just be a genre taste thing?

I dunno, I don't really go out of my way to play TPS I guess, but I enjoyed Uncharted and the new Tomb Raider.

I think maybe Gears was just too relentless with its pacing. There was very little to the game except repeating that same three minute gameplay loop over and over. And as well-designed as that loop was, I wanted more variation.

Bl@de

of course he cant, god of war belongs to playstation

get it right, gow =/= gears of war.

Terminator-Smile.gif

1080p/60 would need to be mandatory. I never got around to playing GOW since I hopped on the 360 late. Also, I wish they would at least salvage GOW1 from their wreck of a GFWL store on PC.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
I hate it when I see these threads as can't stop thinking how much I want it. I'm fine with 1080p and dedicated servers, if the gfx are redone then good but I just want this asap.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah, I didn't really have any criticisms of the mechanics, as such. It was clearly well designed. I just didn't really enjoy them.

I never really understood what everyone saw in the weapon feedback though...I thought they felt a bit weak and ineffective.

I dunno, I don't really go out of my way to play TPS I guess, but I enjoyed Uncharted and the new Tomb Raider.

I think maybe Gears was just too relentless with its pacing. There was very little to the game except repeating that same three minute gameplay loop over and over. And as well-designed as that loop was, I wanted more variation.

There weapon feedback was great in their game. Those shotguns. That torquebow. That hammer of dawn. Catching somebody off guard with them chainsaw in that mansion and you're playing execution.

FUCK. Please announce it at this E3. Will buy Day0.

smik

This needs to happen without any of the mess hmcc launched with

Gears of war 2 always had the most potential but its severe bugs and gameplay issues held it back from ever being great, some teaks to weapons ( that hard aim sniper shotgun anyone?...) gow2 movement speed and movement fluidity gow2 could possibly be the best gow out of the bunch

I hated gears 2 for the longest time because of its failured promises but its potential just with a few teaks has me very excited, played the heck out of gow1/3

Let's hope whoever does the game doesn't do a worse job than 343.

Gears 1 multiplayer with dedicated servers would be amazing.

while gears1 was an amazing first entry into the series it simply doesn't play as good as gears3. the cover cancel alone makes a huge difference. trying to go back and play 1 really shows how clunky and stiff the controls are.

iMax

But Gears only used Unreal Engine and doesn't need to run multiple engines at once for any of the games. None of the games would even get Anniversary treatments. I just don't see a Gears collection having the same type of issues as MCC.

Most of the big issues have been server-side and local ones were generally related to matchmaking. I don't think there were any critical issues in campaign/local play on the scale of the online multiplayer bugs.

Not if they're not outsourcing it to a dozen studios.

...which of course they will be.

Wasp

60fps in splitscreen too please.

I'm disappointed that MCC runs as bad in splitscreen as the games on 360 did, perhaps even worse. It's 15fps at times.

deadman69

Would be a huge draw to get people on Windows 10 game store/ecosystem... just not sure how commited MS are to releasing Gears/Halo/Forza day and date with PC yet.

well phil spencer said halo on pc would be sacrilege and that there isn't demand for forza. so gears is the only on he hasn't spoken about yet.

...which of course they will be.

I highly doubt that Microsoft will make the same mistake twice with their secondary flagship property. Whether they outsource it or keep it under one hood, it'll be done right. They can't afford it not to be done right.

iMax

I highly doubt that Microsoft will make the same mistake twice with their secondary flagship property. Whether they outsource it or keep it under one hood, it'll be done right. They can't afford it not to be done right.

I don't think they have the resources to do it themselves. It will be outsourced. Just depends who to and how many are working on it.

Also bear in mind, most of the contracts with external studios would have been in place before Halo: TMCC shipped, so any issues would've been unforeseeable at that point in time.

At the time it came out "tactical shooter" mean slow paced games like Rainbow 6 Vegas. Cliff Bleszinski said he wanted to make a fast paced tactical shooter, a "stop and pop" game where you're rapidly moving in and out of cover amongst carnage rather than slowly creeping round corners.

That and the multiplayer was brutal with it's no respawns, being the last one left on a team can be tense, and the moments when you still win were mega satisfying.

malfcn

It's nice he responded to someone.
But it's hard to read the responses because they are almost always vague.

It must be coming though. Need it.

Chainsaws at E3, please.

Top Bottom