• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl players on soccer team leave game after complaint by Muslim coach of boys' team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganmoon

"the coach from the opposing school, ISNA High, an independent Islamic school in Mississauga, Ont., had told the referee his team could not continue playing because of the presence of girls on the field."

Not being missed at all. I even bolded it in the OP. The coach for the other team said, either the girls leave, or we'll no longer play ie. forfeit. The girl didn't want to see a forfeit and needed the points and didn't want the boy teammates not be able to play so they sat out.

It's being missed by some posters, as evident by some replies though :)

Edit: even on this very page.

HarryKS

If it's not specifically identified as a co-ed league, no mixing of females and males. Very different types. They had to set up the conditions/rules beforehand.

Why would they need the point when the other team forfeits? They automatically get the points when the other team forfeits. It's a 3-0 situation.

Paganmoon

Muslim team should have forfeited the game then.

Good news though, they avoided the infidel girl cooties.

They did offer to forfeit, the team with the girls decided to keep playing (with the girls on the bench), to get a better goal difference.

It's still a shit thing to do, so we don't need to embellish the details.

SuperBonk

I don't see the problem here other than outdated religious views. The Muslim team was about to forfeit but the girls decided to sit out even though they totally didn't have to so everyone else could still play. And then the team ended up winning anyway.

Those girls are the most mature people out of this whole thing,

Dennis

Banned
*about to lose to a girl*

Dennis: "I see now that you are a girl, so I think we should stop playing. Out of respect for you."

HarryKS

They did offer to forfeit, the team with the girls decided to keep playing (with the girls on the bench), to get a better goal difference.

Ah, makes sense. Goal difference. Risky though but makes sense.

Madness

I don't see the problem here other than outdated religious views. The Muslim team was about to forfeit but the girls decided to sit out even though they totally didn't have to so everyone else could still play. And then the team ended up winning anyway.

Those girls are the most mature people out of this whole thing,

They first told the referee to remove the girls from the field though and then said, if the girls are still allowed to play, they have no choice but to forfeit. That is a very key distinction. Also, like the girl players said, they needed the points. Sometimes soccer also works on aggregate scoring. The more goals you have also helps break ties and what not.

If it's not specifically identified as a co-ed league, no mixing of females and males. Very different types. They had to set up the conditions/rules beforehand.

Why would they need the point when the other team forfeits? They automatically get the points when the other team forfeits. It's a 3-0 situation.

There is a rule that says that if there is no equivalent girls team available, they can apply to join the boys team, but need to pass stringent tryouts. These girls were good enough to make the team. The other muslim team most likely did not know that there were two girls on the boys team. The rules are there though, and they should be prepared for it.

The rules governing sports in the region mirror those set by the Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations, which states if a sport is not available to girls at a school, they can join the boys’ team after a successful tryout.

Zabby

Well I guess that from their point of view playing against a woman is comparable to hitting her.
On the other hand, it's not like the girls were asking to be treated differently...
It reminds me of this, actually:
http://youtu.be/QPxpbWdfirE

It I was on the field, I would not have forcefully tackled a girl or pushed her with my shoulder. I couldn't do it even if I was forced to.
But I definitely would not have asked her to leave the game. Which in the end might have tourned against me and my team because we wouldn't have played at 100% of out capacity.

Eeeh.. Tight spot. I wonder what makes you people think it's about misoginy and racism. Probably because they're Muslims. Uh.

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck the Islamic school team and tell them we don't even want you in our goddamn league if you can't accept girls on the field. Make your own league and good luck trying to find enough likeminded Islamic school teams to actually be viable. There is no logic they can ever present that makes this OK. They can call it whatever they like, but either they accept the modern world or they don't and they can scuttle into their own little caves and try to figure out how to create a league that encourages their pathetic, draconian bullshit.

Good day assholes.

ItIsOkBro

The rules allow it according to the OP...

And it's because ties are broken by # of goals.

Paganmoon

They first told the referee to remove the girls from the field though and then said, if the girls are still allowed to play, they have no choice but to forfeit. That is a very key distinction. Also, like the girl players said, they needed the points. Sometimes soccer also works on aggregate scoring. The more goals you have also helps break ties and what not.

Ok, did not know about the ref being asked to remove the girls, that's really bad.

Is it an American thing calling goals points? You get points when winning or drawing a game, the goals aren't points.

Well I guess that from their point of view playing against a woman is comparable to hitting her.
On the other hand, it's not like the girls were asking to be treated differently...
It reminds me of this, actually:
http://youtu.be/QPxpbWdfirE

It I was on the field, I would not have forcefully tackled a girl or pushed her with my shoulder. I couldn't do it even if I was forced to.
But I definitely would not have asked her to leave the game. Which in the end might have tourned against me and my team because we wouldn't have played at 100% of out capacity.

Eeeh.. Tight spot. I wonder what makes you people think it's about misoginy and racism. Probably because they're Muslims. Uh.

"If I was playing against girls I wouldn't play as hard because they're dainty, and also why are you guys making this out to be misogynistic? I clearly don't see it, you are all probably racist"- literally you.

Wait, am I missing something? Loads of people saying the Muslim team should forfeit, but reading the article, isn't that exactly what their coach said they were doing?

the coach from the opposing school, ISNA High, an independent Islamic school in Mississauga, Ont., had told the referee his team could not continue playing because of the presence of girls on the field.

Doesn't that imply he was about to forfeit until they left? Or am I missing some intricacy of the game / way their league works?

SuperBonk

I don't remember seeing that in the article but that would certainly make the decision more sinister than stupid. But again, I don't think it's worth arguing over since the situation seemed to work itself out.

As for aggregate scoring, I feel like the other team straight up forfeiting should contribute a substantial amount to your standing but I'm not sure how these rules work exactly.

Wait, am I missing something? Loads of people saying the Muslim team should forfeit, but reading the article, isn't that exactly what their coach said they were doing?

Doesn't that imply he was about to forfeit until they left? Or am I missing some intricacy of the game / way their league works?

You're not. The Muslim team offered to forfeit, and the girls and the co-ed team decided they'd take the girls out of the game than have a forfeit and probably lose the goals when it comes to aggregate or goal differential in the standings.

Madness

He complained that there were girls on the team, on the field. That his all-boys muslim team couldn't "mix" with the girls on the other team. Remember, soccer can be physical and one of the girls thought the coach was pulling her out because she was too rough. So the coach finally told the referee at half time, that either the girls are taken off the field, or they have no choice to forfeit. And so the coach took them aside and they agreed their team would rather play, get the points (goals, win, who knows), then to take the forfeit win.

Let's be real: most people didn't read the article.

Paganmoon

I don't remember seeing that in the article but that would certainly make the decision more sinister than stupid. But again, I don't think it's worth arguing over since the situation seemed to work itself out.

As for aggregate scoring, I feel like the other team straight up forfeiting should contribute a substantial amount to your standing but I'm not sure how these rules work exactly.

Forfeiting usually means loosing the game 0-3, which I guess wouldn't be enough for the goal difference.

Ok, did not know about the ref being asked to remove the girls, that's really bad.

Is it an American thing calling goals points? You get points when winning or drawing a game, the goals aren't points.

I think the points referred to are for the tournament standings, not the individual game. That had me confused initially too.

Madness

This is the key though. Did the situation really work itself out? Two girls were not allowed to play because of the sheer fact they are girls. Taking the forfeit win still has the same effect, that because you are girls on the team, the other team didn't want to play and so you can't play either. So it's an interesting question of what matters more, religious/cultural rights or gender/equality rights. What happens when there are girls in other schools that also start to join boys teams? Is that something that should be allowed?

Amir0x

Banned
So it's an interesting question of what matters more, religious/cultural rights or gender/equality rights. What happens when there are girls in other schools that also start to join boys teams? Is that something that should be allowed?

Yes, it should be allowed. No, it's not even remotely on the same level - gender is not a choice, being in a fucked up religion is.

If they don't want to adapt to modern society, they can fuck right off and form their own league outside of normal, non-hateful leagues. Good luck with that I say. But fuck them otherwise.

Derwind

Wow, they should not have concede to the other school. Honestly, fuck that coach, those girls deserve to be in that game.

Zabby

"If I was playing against girls I wouldn't play as hard because they're dainty, and also why are you guys making this out to be misogynistic? I clearly don't see it, you are all probably racist"- literally you.
Well, i'm 1'80, 90kg. I just don't see myself crushing most of the women I know on a soccer field, athletes or otherwise.

orochi91

They offered to forfeit, but the girls opted to sit out instead.

Still, this no touching thing between opposite sexes is being taken to the extreme by some religious groups.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, i'm 1'80, 90kg. I just don't see myself crushing most of the women I know on a soccer field, athletes or otherwise.

Do you think a lady who makes a conscious choice to join a male team in a rough sport isn't cognizant of the risks?

Stop treating women as if they can't handle themselves. They can. They know what they're getting into. They decided to join anyway. It's insulting to treat them without the respect to understand this.

FyreWulff

Other team should have forfeited. The opposing coach saw an opportunity to take out two starters at halftime to try and salvage the game down 3-1 and jumped on it. It would have been pretty obvious the team had girls playing the entire first half.

Clearly all it did was just fire up the rest of the team because they ended up losing 6-1

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As a former muslim, I find this "no touching girls" rule to be kind of surprising. When I was growing up, there was little problem with interacting and hugging girls, even ones not in our community (meaning the filthy, infidel Americans). And we're not talking about little kids here either, but well into the end of high school. My mom is by no one's definition a liberal, but even she tolerated me having physical contact with girls.

Now, dating of course, that's another matter entirely.

YoungHav

Banned
Is the coach shitty for not standing up for his female players or should the girls' request to sit out be honored? If I were the couch I would have ignored their "being ok" with sitting out and forced the other team to forfeit.

KarmaCow

That's some real horseshit. They somehow survived playing half the game with them on the field, they could have just played it out. It sounded like her choice to sit it out so the game continue but it's entirely unfair that she had to be the bigger person in situation.

Amir0x

Banned
As a former muslim, I find this "no touching girls" rule to be kind of surprising. When I was growing up, there was little problem with interacting and hugging girls, even ones not in our community (meaning the filthy, infidel Americans). And we're not talking about little kids here either, but well into the end of high school. My mom is by no one's definition a liberal, but even she tolerated me having physical contact with girls.

Now, dating of course, that's another matter entirely.

It doesn't seem like something that would be particularly surprising. Islam has as many interpretations as any other major religion, no? So I'm sure some sects are quite strict about it, and others don't care at all. Essentially there's a full spectrum of ideas about the subject.

SuperBonk

Forfeiting usually means loosing the game 0-3, which I guess wouldn't be enough for the goal difference.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

This is the key though. Did the situation really work itself out? Two girls were not allowed to play because of the sheer fact they are girls. Taking the forfeit win still has the same effect, that because you are girls on the team, the other team didn't want to play and so you can't play either. So it's an interesting question of what matters more, religious/cultural rights or gender/equality rights. What happens when there are girls in other schools that also start to join boys teams? Is that something that should be allowed?

Yeah, there's definitely a nuance to this situation that I originally missed but I'm just glad the girls were able to make their own decision. Hopefully the other school learns from this.

Oblivion

Wait, I just realized this is soccer and not hockey, so the girls wouldn't have been covered up to begin with. And they didn't notice this until half the game was finished? Really?

Yeah, seems like this is less a case about religious bigotry and more about general douchiness.

Dennis

Banned
Wait, I just realized this is soccer and not hockey, so the girls wouldn't have been covered up to begin with. And they didn't notice this until half the game was finished? Really?

The problems seem to have started when the losing set in......

Oblivion

It doesn't seem like something that would be particularly surprising. Islam has as many interpretations as any other major religion, no? So I'm sure some sects are quite strict about it, and others don't care at all. Essentially there's a full spectrum of ideas about the subject.

Well, what I meant is I'm surprised to see this Americanized/Westernized muslims, I guess. I knew that shit was infinitely more strict in places like the Middle East and India (where I'm from), but I figured most muslims who grew up here would be a bit more liberal on such things like my community was.

Though it should be noted that they've gotten way more conservative as they got older.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, what I meant is I'm surprised to see this Americanized/Westernized muslims, I guess. I knew that shit was infinitely more strict in places like the Middle East and India (where I'm from), but I figured most muslims who grew up here would be a bit more liberal on such things like my community was.

Though it should be noted that they've gotten way more conservative as they got older.

I'm not an expert on Islamic sects in America, but I mean the way I think of it is to relate to Christian sects. Look how many extreme, insane Christian offshoots exist in this country. Shit the Duggars Quiverfull cult offshoot has been in the news lately, for example.

This country just allows any old belief to thrive :p

Is the coach shitty for not standing up for his female players or should the girls' request to sit out be honored? If I were the couch I would have ignored their "being ok" with sitting out and forced the other team to forfeit.

They would have than not gone forward in the tournament they were in. The other team forfeiting is not a positive thing here, it would have fucked the team with the women on it over. They had to get more goals to go forward, and the other team forfeiting wouldn't have let that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom