• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl players on soccer team leave game after complaint by Muslim coach of boys' team

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting case in Canada of religious rights vs. equality/gender rights.

Not interesting nor debateable, the girl were victims of sexual discrimination by the other team end of story.

Your religious rights end when you start impeding someone else's right to be on a fucking field.

- J - D -

I'd rather disrispect someone's - intelligent - choices than break their bones by landing on their genetically weaker body with a frontal blow.
It works on a case by case basis: I would probably show restraint on a 45 kg guy too, but women are usually weaker than men.

It's highly unlikely that this was the first time these girls played against male players of the same age or league, I don't think genetic differences based on sex carries much weight in this case, especially if it's a sport like soccer.

Team with girls was presented with the choice to bench their girl players or let the other team forfeit. Coach chose to bench the girls and continue to play so they could pad their stats. What's the problem? If anything the coach for the team with the girls should be in trouble for benching the girls.

Zabby

Given that this story is insane and the coach was a turd (if he did it for the points) while the girls couldn't have been more virtuous, it's curious to see that while ignorance is (justifiably) related to a state of closed mindedness, sometimes you find someone that goes above and beyond hard facts to over-state and over-emphasize a rightful progressive view. I wonder which channel got that through. Well at least it's for a righteous cause so it's alright!
Still, there are impressive displays of massive racism that are left untouched, while the inability to knock out a woman with a shove is considered "beyond disrispectful" and sexist. Not a good sign from the vox populi.

It's highly unlikely that this was the first time these girls played against male players of the same age or league, I don't think genetic differences based on sex carries much weight in this case, especially if it's a sport like soccer.
This specific case is a mess and a mistake for a ton of reasons. Soccer, however, especially when played semi-professionally, can be a bloody mess.

Two Words

I'd understand people feeling uneasy playing hockey or football with a girl. Guys simply aren't going to want to hit a girl in most cases. But soccer? That sport isn't even supposed to be about contact.

Irnbru

Given that this story is insane and the coach was a turd (if he did it for the points) while the girls couldn't have been more virtuous, it's curious to see that while ignorance is (justifiably) related to a state of closed mindedness, sometimes you find someone that goes above and beyond hard facts to over-state and over-emphasize a rightful progressive view. I wonder which channel got that through. Well at least it's for a righteous cause so it's alright!
Still, there are impressive displays of massive racism that are left untouched, while the inability to knock out a woman with a shove is considered "beyond disrispectful" and sexist. Not a good sign from the vox populi.

This specific case is a mess and a mistake for a ton of reasons. Soccer, however, especially when played semi-professionally, can be a bloody mess.

Dude, your horse is so high you're in fucking alpha centauri
They passed the tests which say they can handle this level of football, if you can't get can't that then yes, you are being sexist. I've played rugby with girls who have knocked my ass down flat on the ground and I'm 200lbs. Don't worry, they won't break.

Ralemont

not me
It was very depressing to read the girl saying she "didn't want to ruin it for the team." As if the situation was her fault.

Fuck that coach.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yes, it's messed up that the girls were even put in this situation. 100 percent lame.

However, the coach of the Muslim team totally did offer to forfeit and just take the loss. I guess in soccer standings, though, how much you win by matters, so the girls sat out so their teammates could try to run up the score?

Zabby

Dude, your horse is so high you're in fucking alpha centauri
They passed the tests which say they can handle this level of football, if you can't get can't that then yes, you are being sexist. I've played rugby with girls who have knocked my ass down flat on the ground and I'm 200lbs. Don't worry, they won't break.
As I said, i'm not talking about this specific case, but about the response I had from previews comments.
And sorry if I sound pretencious, I'm not a native speaker so most of my sentences are a direct translation from my language.

This is a high school team, what does "semi professional" soccer have to do with anything? Its also weird how you keep calling people that are angry about this racist.

Gender and religion aren't even an issue here as far as I'm concerned: League rules are clear enough and if you participate in the league you accepts its terms and conditions. If girls are allowed then so be it.

I think getting the other team to forfeit would have been the safer alternative though: a forfeit is usually scored 3-0, with three points awarded to the winning team. A score like that usually means a pretty convincing victory.

Madness

dWLUrIN.jpg

One of the girls. Pretty sure she can take a couple checks to her legs. These weren't random girls, but they tried out just like the rest of the guys, and were good enough to make the team. Plus they know what they're getting into. If other teams' boys are too scared to slide tackle the girls that's on them. Soccer can be tough, but it's not American football or rugby. The level of contact isn't anywhere close to the same. Plus this is high school level, most are like 17-18 year olds.

Kazerei

Banned
Then please explain to me what's the reason for the existence of gender-specific competitions.
Still, you're failing to see the point.

Because of difference in skill level, generally. When I was growing up, the local soccer league was co-ed until U10 or U12 (I forget which). But you'd still see a handful of girls playing in the U12 Boys league, just like you'd see a handful of 10-year-olds playing in the U12 league. If the player meets the skill level, then what's the problem?

Team with girls was presented with the choice to bench their girl players or let the other team forfeit. Coach chose to bench the girls and continue to play so they could pad their stats. What's the problem? If anything the coach for the team with the girls should be in trouble for benching the girls.

oh my fucking god how many times does it have to be pointed out: if the other team had forfeited, the team with the girls on it would have had their season ended and not been able to go forward in the tournament

Zabby

This is a high school team, what does "semi professional" soccer have to do with anything? Its also weird how you keep calling people that are angry about this racist.
I was talking about the soccer I experienced, not this particular example. And I'm not calling everyone here a racist, I have only noticed how some poor choices of words or thoughts have been overlooked for some reason.

Since I've diverged a lot from the topic at hand, I'll share my opinion about it:
People's rights win over religious beliefs.
Nobody should force their opponent to quit a competition.
Women and men can play sports together, but it will bring a certain degree of (phisical, ethical, tactical, structural) alteration to both genders playstyles. This, however, does not excuse forfeiting a legal game.
The referee made the wrong decision.
The girls are admirable.
Religion souldn't have been a part of this and the coach has been an ass for bringing it up.

People can call me a "fucking sexist" as they so pompously have been, but I haven't seen anything that could remotely change my mind about men and women not being equal in sports.

They would have than not gone forward in the tournament they were in. The other team forfeiting is not a positive thing here, it would have fucked the team with the women on it over. They had to get more goals to go forward, and the other team forfeiting wouldn't have let that happen.

Could have,, I'm looking at the stats.

Basically it looks like they were in a one day 8 team quarter final tournament. Teams are divided into two Pools A and B, everybody plays 3 times (one game against each team in your pool), teams can tie in those games which play a factor, and like the girls knew as do goals for and this is interesting it seems goals against. At th end of the day the semi-finals are set for another day:

Playoffs go Top Team of A vs 2nd Team of B and Top Team of B vs Second Team of A

The Robert Hall finished 2-0-1 with 11 goals 2 Against for first in Pool A
ISNA finished 1-1-1 with 4 goals 8 Against for second in Pool B

So in the end the 3 extra goals didn't actually make a difference but here's the ting, the Hall vs ISNA game was both team's second game and both had previous tied their last game Hall 1-1 vs JSF ISNA 0-0 against Bronte (the other two teams in their Pool)

Also going into this game Robert Hall knew that JSF (the team they tied) had beaten Bronte so if they ended up tied Hall would not have the head to head and thus goals for and against would matter. So at the time of that game, at the moment to make that decision, the girls chose to sacrifice their principles to ensure the team would have it's best shot of advancing, because had things got even ever so slightly differently (had they lost to Brone or had JSF beaten ISNA) they'd have been tied and it'd have come down to goal differential. The girls wanted to keep their team's destiny in their own hands. SO had the coach said fuck no and they missed out either on a better seed or the semis altogether the guilt on those girls (unfairly we know) would have been hard to swallow.

And that's the story on that.

Opto

Banned
At least the team with the girls won 6-1. Coach shoulda talked to the Muslim school coach after the game, "Now imagine the whoop-ass if I unleashed the girls."

alatif113

oh my fucking god how many times does it have to be pointed out: if the other team had forfeited, the team with the girls on it would have had their season ended and not been able to go forward in the tournament

And how many times does it have to be pointed out that's there problem. There is nothing against the rules for being able to forfeit. The team could have forfeited for any number of reasons and the girls still wouldnt be able to go forward. They were given two choices and chose the most sensible one for their team. Good on them (I guess?) but what does that have to do with the muslim team?

Btw Robert Hall has since played and won their semi final game by a nice score of 5-1 to go to the finals

I'll tell you one thing this event lit a fire under their ass, team since that halftime has scored 12 goals and let up 1 in 2 and a half games.

Now here's where the league dropped the ball, ISNA got to play their semi final game. Fortunately they lost but what really should have happened is the league stepping in and telling them their season was done. Oh well. Heh almost too bad they didn't make it to the finals it would have been a rematch, would have loved to see if that coach tried that stunt again under threat of forfeiting the fucking championship.

Wait, am I missing something? Loads of people saying the Muslim team should forfeit, but reading the article, isn't that exactly what their coach said they were doing?

Doesn't that imply he was about to forfeit until they left? Or am I missing some intricacy of the game / way their league works?

bu they didn't forfeit. they just threatened to forfeit to get the girls to leave.

it would be a shame if something happened to your electronics store... etc...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If I was the referee I would have kept the game going, with the girls on the field. If the other team didn't want to be on their side, oh well, girl inclusive team would score a boatload of points against an open net.

alatif113

bu they didn't forfeit. they just threatened to forfeit to get the girls to leave.

it would be a shame if something happened to your electronics store... etc...

wtf? How are the two even comparable? They didn't "threaten" anything, but instead gave an option which, according to the article, the second team gladly took. In the end, they would've lost either way.

I was talking about the soccer I experienced, not this particular example. And I'm not calling everyone here a racist, I have only noticed how some poor choices of words or thoughts have been overlooked for some reason.

Since I've diverged a lot from the topic at hand, I'll share my opinion about it:
People's rights win over religious beliefs.
Nobody should force their opponent to quit a competition.
Women and men can play sports together, but it will bring a certain degree of (phisical, ethical, tactical, structural) alteration to both genders playstyles. This, however, does not excuse forfeiting a legal game.
The referee made the wrong decision.
The girls are admirable.
Religion souldn't have been a part of this and the coach has been an ass for bringing it up.

People can call me a "fucking sexist" as they so pompously have been, but I haven't seen anything that could remotely change my mind about men and women not being equal in sports.

well, sure, if you look at aggregate physical characteristics that may be the case, but on this specific team, two girls made the team and one was a starter.

Muslim team being 'respectful' that they can't play whilst girls are on the field is giving me brain aneurysm.

Am glad they won anyway, but yeah, I would have rubbed it in at the other team's faces. "Just imagine how much worse it would have been had we let the girls keep playing, hey?"

These girls passed the try-outs and have probably been to many other matches before this one. All of this 'concern' and 'respect' for their 'feminine-ness' stinks of bullshit.

If the Islamic school was leading 3-1, would the coach have cared as much? I know some extremest Muslims believe losing to a female could jeopardize their status in paradise, so he was probably concerned that was going to happen. Not sure if that played into the motive or not but I don't believe for one minute the reasons he stated "...more so out of respect than anything. It’s got nothing to do with discrimination.”

yeah right

Kurdel

Banned

So? These girls have more balls than you think if they are ready to play with the boys. Don't underestimate them...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Then please explain to me what's the reason for the existence of gender-specific competitions.
Still, you're failing to see the point.

Hey man, if a lady wishes to enter a certain field of sport and she manages to do it, then you shouldn't afford her any special treatment. If you have to make body contact with her, just do it as if you are having body contact with your male sport competitor. If she's injured because of it, that's her problem, and her responsibility, since she already accepted that the moment she enlisted in the sport.

Not so hard to think about.

I thought Muslims integrate well into the west?

I know right. Maybe you should start a petition or something to get them all kicked out of Canada or the US. I am sure that'll be swell, western countries without Muslim filth contaminating them.

Hexa

In some Islamic schools of thought, Muslims are not allowed to touch people from the other gender that aren't family, be that handshakes or contact sports as in this case. Soccer isn't that much of a contact sport I suppose, but if they subscribed that that belief I can see why this would be an issue for them and why they would wish to forfeit. If they want to forfeit for whatever reason they should be allowed to and to suggest otherwise is crazy. If the other side needs points to get to the next round and thus does what is necessary for them not to forfeit, that's fair for them to do as well.

Whoa I didn't know they had Muslim schools in Mississauga. I went to a Catholic high school in Mississauga and there were lost of Muslim students there

Fusebox

Banned
Whoa I didn't know they had Muslim schools in Mississauga. I went to a Catholic high school in Mississauga and there were lost of Muslim students there

There shouldn't be Catholic schools or Muslim schools there should just be schools.

Nothing brings people together like actually bringing them together.

Hexa

There shouldn't be Catholic schools or Muslim schools there should just be schools.

Nothing brings people together like actually bringing them together.

Not sure about there, but in the US its often because the public schools in the area suck, and private schools generally need a hook like being tied to a religion. Are there any non religious private schools? I'm not sure.
He mentioned the Muslims going to a Catholic school, and I have a couple Muslim cousins that went to Jewish schools. So as good private schools are generally religious you just roll with it.

Abounder

Banned
So the Muslim misogynists waited until 3-1 halftime to act like sexist sore losers? They should be banned from the league and their coach should be fired.

alatif113

So the Muslim misogynists waited until 3-1 halftime to act like sexist sore losers? They should be banned from the league and their coach should be fired.

1) they were going to lose either way. Forfeiting in my opinion is more humiliating.
2) They should definitely be banned from the league
3) coach was just doing his job and tried to alleviate the problem in a manner where his morals didnt have to be projected onto others.

alatif113

Instead of forefitting the game maybe the team shouldn't play in the league.

This post makes no sense. You're implying they can somehow get banned from the league whilst still finishing this game against their will. What?

Sure, ban them afterwards. But at the moment, what else can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom