• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl players on soccer team leave game after complaint by Muslim coach of boys' team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Girls were the 'bigger person' here, but even if they ultimately chose to sit out, you can just imagine how they really felt. I mean imagine having your coach pull you out and you think it's because you're playing too rough, when in reality, it's solely because unless you sit out, because you're a girl, the other team is going to forfeit because they don't want to play with you. They shouldn't have been in that position. The fact the girls coach even pulled them out and gave them that ultimatum/decision, probably also was an indicator he wanted the points/goals.

Zabby

Do you think a lady who makes a conscious choice to join a male team in a rough sport isn't cognizant of the risks?

Stop treating women as if they can't handle themselves. They can. They know what they're getting into. They decided to join anyway. It's insulting to treat them without the respect to understand this.

It's baffling the way you fabricate gender equality in sports despite of the way humans are genetically built. Because of this simple reason, I would avoid heavy hits.
That doesn't mean, however, that I would send women to the bench because I can't touch them. Thet's stupid. And a dumb excuse to get a few points through forfeit, apparently. That's a dick move.

I'm not an expert on Islamic sects in America, but I mean the way I think of it is to relate to Christian sects. Look how many extreme, insane Christian offshoots exist in this country. Shit the Duggars Quiverfull cult offshoot has been in the news lately, for example.

This country just allows any old belief to thrive :p

This is in Canada tho.

Replicant

I feel like I'm back in the 80s where boys are told that girls give cooties.

If you can't handle girls on another team then don't play.

The Adder

Banned
You can't ask people to compromise their morals, you can only expect them to not force said morals on others. That's what the team from the Muslim school did. They can't morally play against the team with women on it so they offered two options and the two women on the team chose the option better for their team instead of the one better for them.

EDIT: Basically, I agree with Hav on this. Stand up for your players, Coach.

Keasar

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...soccer-game-after-complaints-from-muslim-team

This is an interesting case in Canada of religious rights vs. equality/gender rights. These two girls were allowed to play on the boys team because there was no girls senior team and they successfully tried out and were good enough to make the boys team. However, the coach of the opposing team is from an all-muslim independent school, and the boys are not allowed to have physical contact or be on the field with girls. They didn't know two of the players on the boys' team were girls. At halftime, the coach said either the girls needed to be removed from the game or they wouldn't play. Thoughts?

Gender rights trumps religious rights.

Always.

Anytime.

Anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
This is in Canada tho.

The point is not actually any different - Canada also allows religious liberty.

Zabby said:
It's baffling the way you fabricate gender equality in sports despite of the way humans are genetically built. Because of this simple reason, I would avoid heavy hits.
That doesn't mean, however, that I would send women to the bench because I can't touch them. Thet's stupid. And a dumb excuse to get a few points through forfeit, apparently. That's a dick move.

Women don't need you to protect them from the choices they make. It simply shows profound disrespect for their intelligent decision making. It's fine if you want to stick to that, but it's beyond insulting.

Man we have to go to Canada now to find "hey look at these dumb religious people who are totally insinfcant" news. I am sure there is something good old American for GAF to report.

squidyj

I'm not an expert on Islamic sects in America, but I mean the way I think of it is to relate to Christian sects. Look how many extreme, insane Christian offshoots exist in this country. Shit the Duggars Quiverfull cult offshoot has been in the news lately, for example.

waddayamean 'this country'?

Amir0x

Banned
waddayamean 'this country'?

Canada and America both allow religious liberty to thrive. There's nuanced differences, but the end result is numerous religious sects exist that are on the full spectrum, from the very liberal to the extremists.

Madness

Man we have to go to Canada now to find "hey look at these dumb religious people who are totally insinfcant" news. I am sure there is something good old American for GAF to report.

If you don't like the thread, don't post. Take your whining elsewhere. Not all of GAF is American, and not every topic needs to be something that only is relevant to American-GAF, I often post on things that I come across, that are relevant and foster discussion that isn't necessarily games related.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Yeah, I get ya. I just wanted to comment on the situation from a personal level is all.

Islamic team should've been forced to forfeit, then expelled from the league. Team with girls would not advance in the tournament, and that's unfortunate, but don't allow discrimination to happen just so you can win a football tournament (even if it was a choice by the girls)

ReiGun

They didn't notice that there were girls on the field until half the game was over and they were losing 3-1...
Seems like that team was getting its ass kicked and they used the girls as an excuse lol
That's what I'm thinking. Those girls were probably bodying the other team and they decided to be all "Um..uh...religious beliefs!"

YoungHav

Banned
Gender rights ALWAYS trump religious rights. The conservative men/sects of the Abrahamaic faiths are assholes.
They would have than not gone forward in the tournament they were in. The other team forfeiting is not a positive thing here, it would have fucked the team with the women on it over. They had to get more goals to go forward, and the other team forfeiting wouldn't have let that happen.
Ok gotcha. Shit lol. If I were the coach from that game forward the 2 ladies could get as much playing time as they want. Talk about taking one for the team.

alatif113

You can't ask people to compromise their morals, you can only expect them to not force said morals on others. That's what the team from the Muslim school did. They can't morally play against the team with women on it so they offered two options and the two women on the team chose the option better for their team instead of the one better for them.

Not pretty, but essentially this.

EDIT: Yet again, people fail to actually read the OP. The muslim team did offer to forfeit.

Zabby

Women don't need you to protect them from the choices they make. It simply shows profound disrespect for their intelligent decision making. It's fine if you want to stick to that, but it's beyond insulting.
I'd rather disrispect someone's - intelligent - choices than break their bones by landing on their genetically weaker body with a frontal blow.
It works on a case by case basis: I would probably show restraint on a 45 kg guy too, but women are usually weaker than men.

HarryKS

The point is not actually any different - Canada also allows religious liberty.

Dude, nothing you're saying applies on the pitch when a tackle goes in. Nothing. You're like the guy talking about the gameplan for a fight until he gets hit by a hard punch.

Talking about equality and going with it is one thing. Playing is different. It's not a matter of disrespect towards women, it's simply that co-ed football and same sex football do not have the same intensity. It's strange to think that it's so hard to imagine that a guy doesn't want to play as intensely as he would against women as he would against men. There is a level of adjustment. No one is lacking respect for their choices, just saying it's really not the same dynamics on the pitch.

If you've played or play football, you'd know that the least enjoyable matches for people who have put some time in the sport are matches against or with pre-teens and co-ed.

G.ZZZ

I'd rather disrispect someone's - intelligent - choices than break their bones by landing on their genetically weaker body with a frontal blow.
It works on a case by case basis: I would probably show restraint on a 45 kg guy too, but women are usually weaker than men.

Are you playing soccer or what? Genetically weaker body, what the fuck are you saying? So short males shouldn't be allowed to play soccer because ot their "genetically weaker body"? Get the fuck out of here with this sexist shit.

FyreWulff

Yo you aren't going to break a woman's bones by landing on her, dude

do you even understand physics or how bones work

a woman exerts more force on her bones jumping than a guy falling on her

The Adder

Banned
I'm just curious what everyone thinks the team from the muslim school should have done.

And don't say forfeit, because they were going to.

Briscoe, who was in the starting lineup, wondered if she was being called out for playing too rough, but it turned out the coach from the opposing school, ISNA High, an independent Islamic school in Mississauga, Ont., had told the referee his team could not continue playing because of the presence of girls on the field.
At this point, the referee should have told the coach that mixed teams were allowed and if his team refused to play the other team would automatically win. If he persists, the game ends, the other team wins.

Madness

I'm just curious what everyone thinks the team from the muslim school should have done.

And don't say forfeit, because they were going to.

Keep playing the game WITH the girls in. It's in the school athletic association constitution that teams can have girls when there is no team or league of their own to join, pending they try out. They should've known this.

Also, folks, the girls weren't some dainty little girls. They tried out and made the team, even over other boys. Pretty sure they can take some slide tackles from high school boys, and were just as likely to do the same back.

Tagyhag

“I said to my coach, ‘I’d rather see everybody play. I don’t want to ruin this for the rest of the team. Me and the other girl will sit out.’'

Damn, what a girl.

And good of the school to allow them to play with the boys as well.

Zabby

Are you playing soccer or what? Genetically weaker body, what the fuck are you saying? So short males shouldn't be allowed to play soccer because ot their "genetically weaker body"? Get the fuck out of here with this sexist shit.
Then please explain to me what's the reason for the existence of gender-specific competitions.
Still, you're failing to see the point.

The Adder

Banned
Keep playing the game WITH the girls in. It's in the school athletic association constitution that teams can have girls when there is no team or league of their own to join, pending they try out. They should've known this.

So demand that others compromise their, admittedly crappy, moral beliefs for a sport.

Because that's certainly a reasonable demand.

Sounds like this is more the fault of a hardline coach than anything else. I know of ISNA - hell, I went and covered a major event they were holding a few years back. It was a multicultural festival and everything - lots of male and female students who didn't attend the school normally. I don't understand why they would have a problem with a mixed-gender team.

Someone needs to go kick this coach off the field, maybe slap some sense into him. I'm sorry, I don't care what your religion is, being sexist is not acceptable in this country.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Then please explain to me what's the reason for the existence of gender-specific competitions.
Still, you're failing to see the point.

Clearly to prevent fat dudes from falling on the dainty women and breaking their feminine bones.

Madness

So demand that others compromise their, admittedly crappy, moral beliefs for a sport.

Because that's certainly a reasonable demand.

No, but when you voluntarily join an athletic association, you agree to abide by all rules set forth, and one of the rules includes that if there is no girls team, they CAN try out for the boys team. Now it's likely they didn't expect to see girls on the boys team for a Senior team. But come on, you've already played the first half. Plus, where does the line get drawn? You admit yourself the beliefs are morally crappy, so why embolden or allow them? The world didn't end because they got slide tackled or played against girls no?

alatif113

Is there actually a defense force for what this school did

Is this real life

Oh please. The team offered to do the reasonable thing and forfeit the match, even though the reasoning behind the decision was pretty crappy. You can't possibly believe the way to go here would be to force them to play? How would you even do that?

No, but when you voluntarily join an athletic association, you agree to abide by all rules set forth, and one of the rules includes that if there is no girls team, they CAN try out for the boys team. Now it's likely they didn't expect to see girls on the boys team for a Senior team. But come on, you've already played the first half. Plus, where does the line get drawn? You admit yourself the beliefs are morally crappy, so why embolden or allow them? The world didn't end because they got slide tackled or played against girls no?

How were they breaking any rules? They offered to take the L. Theres two sides to this debate. The moral aspect of the muslim team's beliefs AND the way they've handled the case when they've felt their morals were (for lack of a better word) "undermined". We're all in agreeance over the former, but the way the latter was handled was the best possible outcome in my opinion. What else do you propose they do?

Oh please. The team offered to do the reasonable thing and forfeit the match, even though the reasoning behind the decision was pretty crappy. You can't possibly believe the way to go here would be to force them to play? How would you even do that?
If they forfeited, the team with the girls wouldnt have been able to go forward in their tournament. This is mentioned both in the article and multiple times in this thread. Forfeiting is no where near the "reasonable" thing to do, especially when you had no issue playing the first half.

Hagi

Well this seems to be the best way to tackle the problems that this particular team faces

Paul Freier, chairman of the Region of Peel Secondary School Athletic Association (ROPSSAA) sent an email Friday to the ISNA coach making it clear schools must abide by those rules. If they don’t like them, they are free to leave the athletic association.

alatif113

Well this seems to be the best way to tackle the problems that this particular team faces

Yes, they should leave the association. No disagreeance there. At the moment though, what else could they have done?

If they forfeited, the team with the girls wouldnt have been able to go forward in their tournament. This is mentioned both in the article and multiple times in this thread. Forfeiting is no where near the "reasonable" thing to do, especially when you had no issue playing the first half.

The team could have forfeited for any other number of reasons, and the girls still wouldnt be able to go forward. The option to forfeit is there. I don't see how utilizing it suddenly becomes unreasonable.

The Adder

Banned

1. They abided by the rules. Unless you can show me a rule that they aren't allowed to forfeit.

2. I draw the line at forcing your beliefs upon others.But it cuts both ways. They were willing to take the penalty for their beliefs. You can't MAKE them play.

You'd be saying the same thing as I am if the team willing to forfeit had reasons for not wanting to play members of the opposing team that matched your beliefs, would you not?

The difference between our points of view is that I don't have to see value in another's beliefs to value their right to hold them. As long as they don't force them on others.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The girl players are the bigger person than the sexist coach. Also waiting till half-time is also suspect as well, though it backfired as they lost.

Madness

How were they breaking any rules? They offered to take the L. Theres two sides to this debate. The moral aspect of the muslim team's beliefs AND the way they've handled the case when they've felt their morals were (for lack of a better word) "undermined". We're all in agreeance over the former, but the way the latter was handled was the best possible outcome in my opinion. What else do you propose they do?

Well forfeiture is never a good thing. It's a waste of time and money and negatively impacts both teams as well as the league/venue/tournaments.

I do agree if they don't feel like they can play the best option is to leave the athletic association, but that just cements these 'moral beliefs' going forward, and would negatively impact the muslim school whose athletes will be denied a chance to play against all the major regional high schools. This isn't just withdrawing from soccer, but all basketball, volleyball, and any athletics.

So question becomes, can you tolerate playing with girls on a soccer field for 90 minutes, or risk having no teams to play any sports against.

Muslim team should have withdrawn then, as the co-ed team was perfectly legal and allowed.

Agreed. If your faith prevents you from engaging in secular sports then either form your own league where those rules can be enforced (good luck) or take that L and withdraw.

"Please withdraw the girls." "Why?" "Because an ancient Warlord told us woman are evil and worth only half a man. Their presence is sexually arousing and it's their fault for showing themselfes."

Sounds like a bad comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom