• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God is dead: CBS considering a Sheldon spin-off of Big Bang Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Look at all the people that didn't read the OP.

I don't think it'd be a good idea. Making fun of a kid or teen's functional autism isn't a good look.

Volimar

The only spin-off of The Big Bang Theory that I would find acceptable would be "The Wil Wheaton Show".

Side note: TBBT gets 10+ seasons and Reaper only got 1.5? There is no justice in the world.

Wil needs something good. It's too bad that he chafes under network supervision. Also, wasn't Reaper fucked over by the star not wanting to come back?

NateDrake

You guys keep bringing up Joey, but the whole reason this is happening (hell, the whole reason Joey happened) is Frasier.

Frasier is amazing and the character was great on Cheers. Things only got better in Frasier thanks to Niles and the contrast with Martin. The character of Sheldon is terrible.

jdstorm

Banned
With these kind of characters, you need the breathing room of other around them. Same reason Joey failed. A whole show aimed at them just doesn't work.

Nah the reason Joey failed was because of the characters surrounding him. Who thought Teen Mom jokes were a good idea, or an Adult nephew. Matt LeBlanc was fine as a TV lead

liquidtmd

Banned
The article is poorly written, but it sounds like he'll be a producer versus starring in the show. But there will probably be some sort of stupid time travel episode once the ratings start tanking - which they will, because Sheldon is incredibly annoying and is only tolerable because of the other characters buffering him.

Oh...oh gawd this is totally it. I can totally see it. Urrrgghhhhhhhhh

Volimar

Frasier is amazing and the character was great on Cheers. Things only got better in Frasier thanks to Niles and the contrast with Martin. The character of Sheldon is terrible.

I never really liked Frasier on Cheers, but I really liked the whole ensemble on Frasier.

Dominator

I actually liked this show in its first few seasons, but it went downhill so quickly... Haven't seen an episode in years and I certainly don't want to watch an entire show based around Sheldon.

Take away Sheldor and TBBT would be far more enjoyable

The worst part of TBBT is not Sheldon, but the fact it is now nothing but a relationship sit-com. Take away Bernadette and Amy, make Penny single, return Howard and Raj to side characters that don't have to appear every episode, and it would at least return to an average sit-com (which is still garbage).

Actually the worst part is the writing, but that is on par with most sit-com.

creatchee

Wil needs something good. It's too bad that he chafes under network supervision. Also, wasn't Reaper fucked over by the star not wanting to come back?

I didn't know anything about that? I thought it was a combination of the writers strike and poor ratings. Strangely, the numbers it was getting are considered acceptable for The CW these days.

Nightbird

The only reason i watched TBBT for was to see Wolowitz' and Raj's shenanigans.

Everything they did was cringey in a entertaining way.

So yeah, absolutely not interested in a Sheldon spin-off. i don't need that shit.

You guys keep bringing up Joey, but the whole reason this is happening (hell, the whole reason Joey happened) is Frasier.
Frasier was good.

What made Friends funny was the relationship between characters, none of them could run a solo show. Hell, just imagine a Phoebe show and try not to cringe. BBT is the same, aside from the "funny" bit.

Goodstyle

The show is already about Sheldon, why the hell are we getting a spin-off of a story even more centred on him? They should do a spin-off starring a recurring character. We could have had another Frasier on our hands!

Zoe

The worst part of TBBT is not Sheldon, but the fact it is now nothing but a relationship sit-com. Take away Bernadette and Amy, make Penny single, return Howard and Raj to side characters that don't have to appear every episode, and it would at least return to an average sit-com (which is still garbage).

Actually the worst part is the writing, but that is on par with most sit-com.

Aside from Penny, all of the characters are in their mid-late 30's now. It would be weird for them not to be in relationships.

Ferrio

Banned
If the title is "God is Dead" I might actually watch it.

Once again TV execs think making the comedic relief character the main star of a show will work brilliantly.
As if the idea hasn't failed time and time again.

Untrue, just look at Family Matters. Ya they pushed it too far at the end, but it became the Urkel show long before that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Look at all the people that didn't read the OP.

I don't think it'd be a good idea. Making fun of a kid or teen's functional autism isn't a good look.

Sheldon isn't on the spectrum. At best he's mainstream America's really shitty biased stereotyped take on what someone on the spectrum is like. He's just a really shitty person with nerdy hobbies.

xaosslug

ITT: we don't read the OP. xD

i don't think CBS is looking to dump TBBT, but capitalize on it's success while they're at it. The spin-off would be about Sheldon in his YOUNGER years, which leads me to believe TBBT wouldn't be going anywhere (sadly). LOL

Isnt it pretty much the "Sheldon show" already anyway? This seems weird.

I have only seen a few episodes of the beginning of the show - but didn't it pick up with them right after college?

And it seemed like Sheldon was a huge introvert / social pariah anyway.... so what would it even be?

Like... him just sitting alone in a lab or something?

Sheldon is nowhere near interesting enough on his own to carry a dedicated show. Big Bang Theory works just fine the way it is, because of the whole cast. It's not the Sheldon Show.

Zoe

I have only seen a few episodes of the beginning of the show - but didn't it pick up with them right after college?

No, they were already into their post-doc research for a few years.

College years for Sheldon would be his early-mid teens.

Volimar

Sheldon isn't on the spectrum. At best he's mainstream America's really shitty biased stereotyped take on what someone on the spectrum is like. He's just a really shitty person with nerdy hobbies.

I really do think he is on the spectrum. There have been a few episodes that have skirted close to showing it. But I'm not a psychiatrist so I won't fight over it.

jb1234

God, that'll be a fun casting call. "Looking for someone who can act just like a younger Jim Parsons!"

I would personally run for the hills but I bet it would pay well.

Volimar

God, that'll be a fun casting call. "Looking for someone who can act just like a younger Jim Parsons!"

I would personally run for the hills but I bet it would pay well.

I bet that kid from Stranger Things could pull it off.

3uzYA3T.jpg

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I love TBBT. And being a fellow Houstonian I'm rooting for Parsons.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really do think he is on the spectrum. There have been a few episodes that have skirted close to showing it. But I'm not a psychiatrist so I won't fight over it.

I'm on the spectrum and he's far too confident, non introspective, in your face and so on for anyone I have ever met on the spectrum. He's like the exact opposite of most people on the spectrum. He's just an abrasive anti social dick head who likes nerdy shit.

Volimar

I'm on the spectrum and he's far too confident, non introspective, in your face and so on for anyone I have ever met on the spectrum. He's like the exact opposite of most people on the spectrum. He's just an abrasive anti social dick head who likes nerdy shit.

I'm on the spectrum too. You definitely have a point about his confidence etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom