• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God is dead: CBS considering a Sheldon spin-off of Big Bang Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Bang Theory is such a shitty show. The forced jokes and canned laughter make it completely unbearable. It's unfathomable that it even gets decent ratings.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Big Bang Theory is such a shitty show. The forced jokes and canned laughter make it completely unbearable. It's unfathomable that it even gets decent ratings.

Just remember Two and a Half Men was one of the biggest shows around by and far.

Ezalc

Benghazi.

Shit I wasn't expecting this hahaha.

The only good thing to come out of the whole sheldon thing, were those comics where they change the "bazinga" into some random ass word. Zimbabwe always gets me laughing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I mean, I despise BBT but a Malcom in the Middle style single camera comedy starring a funny kid with asp ergers Laurie Metcalf as an over-bearing Christian fundamentalist sounds great.

I could care less of the titular character is named Sheldon or Bumpo the Frog

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Frasier was kind of an accident considering the popularity of his character at the time. I think they did a survey on which character's spinoff people wanted to see and Frasier was dead last mostly because audiences hated his character due to the Sam/Diane thing. I believe Woody was #1.

Frasier Crane really became it's own amazing thing with the spinoff. The individual characters on Cheers also felt unique and independent enough from each other that a spinoff was possible.

I think if you take any of the BBT cast away from the rest and it just seems odd when you consider that the whole cast is 6 slightly different nerds (with 2 woman counterparts) and a contrasting Penny. At a stretch, the only character with enough meat on their bones left would be someone like Stewart (even though he's still very much another "nerd" type character) where a show could be made about running the comic book store or something.

Outside that, like others have said, a prequel show is DOA if the original actors aren't playing the roles.

Fraiser worked.

If the title is "God is Dead" I might actually watch it.

Untrue, just look at Family Matters. Ya they pushed it too far at the end, but it became the Urkel show long before that.

Fine some shows worked, but it's still rare the comedic characters work outside of their shows. Frasier at least had enough of a character to expand upon outside of Cheers.

AHA-Lambda

Currently in its 10th season, The Big Bang Theory is the No. 1 comedy in primetime

4YMgGH.gif

I guess I can take some solace in that my mom, a big fan of TBBT, said this sounded like a terrible idea.
I, who doesn't like TBBT at all, agree with her.

Kasper

I'll join the Frasier squad. Fantastic show.

Nah the reason Joey failed was because of the characters surrounding him. Who thought Teen Mom jokes were a good idea, or an Adult nephew. Matt LeBlanc was fine as a TV lead

I liked the nephew, but that was pretty much the only character who worked - to me anyway. Except for Joey and him, everyone else were either way too bland or too over the top. The nephew could possibly have been bland as well and it's actually just me thinking back with rose-tinted glasses since I really enjoy the actor. Definitely never rewatching Joey to confirm or deny.

leng jai

Even as someone who doesn't hate BBT, this is a shitty, awful idea. He's literally the worst character on the show

Hardly, he's the best character along with Penny. Raj is by far the worst, it's not even debatable.

As for this spin off...the main show at its peak was practically Sheldon/Penny 90% if the time anyway.

3rdman

"Hey did you guys hear about the Spinoff that's being planned"

INSERT SEXUAL INNUENDO AS RESPONSE HERE

"That's what she said!"

INSERT LAUGHTER HERE, COLLECT MONEY

RESET

Will they finally have a gay character? Or is that too out there on a show about "outsiders"?

It was neat that Sheldon was asexual for most of the first couple seasons, shame that died with the quickness.

darscot

I enjoy BBT but its the Sheldon/Penny that makes the show. Everything else is just kinda filler. Sheldon as a kid would not work at all, because we know he has zero friends or connections with other people. You need relationships and interaction to make it interesting. What are they going to do Sheldon being a loser by himself at prom, Sheldon being loser with no friends at science fair, Sheldon getting tested to see whats wrong with him. Its a total disaster.

Will they finally have a gay character? Or is that too out there on a show about "outsiders"?
It was neat that Sheldon was asexual for most of the first couple seasons, shame that died with the quickness.

Really I think they do a pretty good job making fun of Raj being in the closet.

Bigfoot

You know what people want in a spinoff title?

None of the cast returning.

I could see this show starting each week with old Sheldon (Jim) reading a page out of one of his journals. It would then fade in to the 90's showing his younger self doing something for the episode with older Sheldon narrating (similar to the narration in The Goldberg's).

If they did this, they could have the current BBT cast appear in cameos at the start (and maybe end) of each episode. Call the show something like "The History of Sheldon" or "Sheldon's Journal" and you've got yourself a show.

I mean...Ok, I don't get the show and I nearly died trying to watch a whole episode but aside from that Sheldon seems like the single most unlikable character EVER.

I just do not get it.

I could see this show starting each week with old Sheldon (Jim) reading a page out of one of his journals. It would then fade in to the 90's showing his younger self doing something for the episode with older Sheldon narrating (similar to the narration in The Goldberg's).

If they did this, they could have the current BBT cast appear in cameos at the start (and maybe end) of each episode. Call the show something like "The History of Sheldon" or "Sheldon's Journal" and you've got yourself a show.

But isn't his entire backstory "I had no friends and was alone until my mid-20's?"

Compelling comedy right there. Lets see how a low functioning autistic kid handles the week to week travails of being alone in Texas in the 90's.

Writes itself really.

Bigfoot

But isn't his entire backstory "I had no friends and was alone until my mid-20's?"

Compelling comedy right there. Lets see how a low functioning autistic kid handles the week to week travails of being alone in Texas in the 90's.

Writes itself really.

Good point. It would have to be a family show. He does have his older hot sister and his Mom. That would have to be the main cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom