• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God is dead: CBS considering a Sheldon spin-off of Big Bang Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Do you really want to go in on Americans taste?
Pretty sure TV networks want money. If it's the highest rated show and everyone in here says it sucks...well, I don't think any offered opinions on a spin-off from here mean much in the business world.

Mr-Joker

Banned
If they are looking into doing a spin off I guess it means that the main show will soon come to an end, which is pretty much expected as it's clear that the writer ran out of ideas and just pretty much prolonging the finale which will be Sheldon's Wedding, which will end up being a non event like the other two character's wedding.

I mean, I despise BBT but a Malcom in the Middle style single camera comedy starring a funny kid with asp ergers Laurie Metcalf as an over-bearing Christian fundamentalist sounds great.

I could care less of the titular character is named Sheldon or Bumpo the Frog

That would require the writers being smart as Malcom in the Middle was funny not because of the camera angle but because of the characters, plus they didn't use laugh tracks something that the spin off is very likely to have.

jb1234

I liked the nephew, but that was pretty much the only character who worked - to me anyway. Except for Joey and him, everyone else were either way too bland or too over the top. The nephew could possibly have been bland as well and it's actually just me thinking back with rose-tinted glasses since I really enjoy the actor. Definitely never rewatching Joey to confirm or deny.

Joey failed because it was lacking the one thing that made Friends really work, cast chemistry. I also remember being annoyed that the show (and Joey) basically pretended that the other five friends didn't exist.

Megatron

Fuck, just let that shitty series die already.

Even worse.

Sheldon is terrible. The show is terrible. Just let it die and be forgotten.

I don't get people who say stuff like this. The show pulls in huge ratings. If you don't like it, fine, but clearly lots of other people do. It's like me saying I don't like dark souls so From should stop making souls games. What fucking sense does that make?

Kasper

Joey failed because it was lacking the one thing that made Friends really work, cast chemistry. I also remember being annoyed that the show (and Joey) basically pretended that the other five friends didn't exist.

Agree. That was a huge flaw. But even properly acknowledging that wouldn't have done the show much good, even though it would have been nice. It just felt hollow for the most part.

Fraiser worked.
I would not call Frasier the comedy relief. If anything he was a straight man on Cheers.

Norm is probably the comic relief if you had to choose one.
I don't get people who say stuff like this. The show pulls in huge ratings. If you don't like it, fine, but clearly lots of other people do. It's like me saying I don't like dark souls so From should stop making souls games. What fucking sense does that make?
It would make sense if you liked other From games and wished that Souls would die so they would put their attention and money into something you might like.
Do spinoffs ever work out? The only one I can think of that was good was Frasier
The Jeffersons.

'Hey, what's a great way to shed all of the cost besides the main star'

'...I have a plan.'

Knowing CBS, they're gonna want him to have a group of friends or something to play off of by the second episode... And somehow they think this will work or make sense with Sheldon being who he is.

He'll probably be a professor or some shit and some of it will be set in a class or something to give an excuse for him to be around people.

Krixeus

But how will they get the same classic comedy that could only come from the hilarious interactions between sheldor and peni?

gbvYu.jpg

SoulUnison

Banned
Wait, is it even a spin-off if you're keeping the star of the show?
Isn't that more like a re-tool/re-pilot?

Oh, it's a prequel? ...Aren't the characters already supposed to be, like, early 20s?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Too bad it won't be her. She's the right age to play Sheldon's mother right now. They're not going to cast someone in their 60's to play mother to a teenager.
Ah yeah. Good point. Boo.

That would require the writers being smart as Malcom in the Middle was funny not because of the camera angle but because of the characters, plus they didn't use laugh tracks something that the spin off is very likely to have.
Uh... Yeah I wasn't saying it was gonna be good. Just saying that "Laurie Metcalf + Single Camera Comedy" is a good pitch outside of the context of BBT, but let's take a step back...

A single camera sitcom with a laugh track? Has that ever been done? What would be the point? Serious question has anyone ever tried that?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This seems...like it will fail.

Side note: I've seen quite a few episodes of the show, through reruns and new episodes, and I'm pretty sure I've either never heard "bazinga" be said or it has only happened very rarely (I honestly can't remember any examples of it, but I'm just covering my bases). Am I missing something? Why is the word so heavily associated with the show?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This seems...like it will fail.

Side note: I've seen quite a few episodes of the show, through reruns and new episodes, and I'm pretty sure I've either never heard "bazinga" be said or it has only happened very rarely (I honestly can't remember any examples of it, but I'm just covering my bases). Am I missing something? Why is the word so heavily associated with the show?
I only caught it once and it was so goddamn non-sequitur it actually made me angry. The Sheldon character had too much sugar, so he jumped in a ball pit and kept popping his head up and saying "bazinga"

It's not a joke as far as I can tell. Just a thing that has the sound of one. It definitely is the thing Inassocaite with that show, but for all I know I just got "lucky" and saw the one ep where it is uttered. That was enough. So fucking bad.

My mom loves it though. She deserves some fun.

This could be good, or REALLY, REALLY BAD. Here's hoping for the former, although I'm not holding my breath.

I still like BBT though.

This shit is still the #1 comedy? Goddamn.

Setting it in the past, I have 100% no idea how they intend to continue with the "Sheldon's not really us making fun of autistics, no really" bullshit.

I mean, half of Sheldon's character is "my mom had me tested".

novabolt

I don't think it would be a smart move unless it follows the same concept as BBT. Also, even if it was to follow the same concept, it probably would get stale and I doubt it would have the same following like BBT.

The only set of programs that have done good in my eyes are CYE and Seinfield.

What old person wants to watch 2 Broke Girls? It's not even good background noise.

Maybe because usually old people are more racist? I mean 2BrokeGirls is just that. You have an actor, who is American, speak in broken english, because thats how Asian talks "lol". You have eastern-european immigrants, that only talk about Sex, because thats what eastern europeans are like. You have a black guy that always talks about big dick-sizes, because apparently thats what black people have.

"So true!"

DeathyBoy

Banned
Maybe because usually old people are more racist? I mean 2BrokeGirls is just that. You have an actor, who is American, speak in broken english, because thats how Asian talks "lol". You have eastern-european immigrants, that only talk about Sex, because thats what eastern europeans are like. You have a black guy that always talks about big dick-sizes, because apparently thats what black people have.

"So true!"

Eric Andre was good value in S1 at least.

"So true!"

The Asian character is also heavily emasculated as well.

The Asian character is also heavily emasculated as well.

Thats the other part. Also small dick jokes and stuff like that. I just dont understand how that can even run on a TV channel in America, where you actually fight against racism, but then have such a show which partly consists of racist jokes.

What kind of adventures would Sheldon have without Leonard or anyone else? That would blow.

If they promised to do away with that obnoxious laugh track though, that would be great.

Oh but they do. They think it's fresh and cool. Like that time in college one of my screenwriting professors showed an episode of The Simpsons from 2009 as an example of funny, cutting edge animation not aimed at children.

I'm trying to think of a funny, cutting edge animation not aimed at children, and all I can come up with is Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which isn't on anymore, and Rick and Morty, which might not even have existed when you professor taught your class.

Seriously: People need to lay off the "Joey was terrible" stick. It had terrible ratings, yes. But the show itself was better than loads of comedy sitcoms airing right now, and back then. It just wasn't "more Friends" which is why most friends hated it.

But that Sheldon spin-off is a bad idea however you want to spin it.

Pluto

Do spinoffs ever work out? The only one I can think of that was good was Frasier
Laverne & Shirley
Mork & Mindy
Maude
The Jeffersons
Rhoda
Lou Grant
Empty Nest
Knots Landing
A Different World
The Facts of Life
Angel
Xena
Melrose Place
Absolutely Fabulous
The Legend of Korra
Daria

Currently running:

The Simpsons
NCIS
The Flash
Better Call Saul
Girl Meets World
Law & Order SVU
Major Crimes
The Originals

Randam

Only Jim Parsons can play Sheldon, so I'm not too excited for this.

BTW: do people not have anything better to do than hate on the big bang Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom