• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Bang Theory Season 11 |OT| The Big Ten - Mondays on CBS at 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

Raj should be killed at this point. From my favorite character to aimless idiot. It is really like he has no job in the show, all he does is bow to howard and bern and does he even go to work anymore?

jett

D-Member
Raj should be killed at this point. From my favorite character to aimless idiot. It is really like he has no job in the show, all he does is bow to howard and bern and does he even go to work anymore?

About time someone made use of that elevator shaft.

leng jai

What I want to know is at what point was Raj your favourite character? He's always been average and even at his best that was back when Sheldon and Penny were at their peak.

Really? That was good for you?

Well it was mainly the ending scene which in particular made me laugh pretty hard. I'll admit the episode in its entirety was pretty much standard vanilla Big Bang Theory though and nothing special. Guess I'm just easy to please.

Agreed on Raj. The writers haven't a clue what to do with him.

Maddocks

What I want to know is at what point was Raj your favourite character? He's always been average and even at his best that was back when Sheldon and Penny were at their peak.

Because everyone always felt kinda way stereotypical. Raj at least to me in the beginning really felt like just a normal but quirky dude. Now hes full blown why can I be a mom nanny. It is like,"bro, are you not a astrophysicist?" Do that.

Anyone catch last night's episode? Thought it was pretty mediocre. Raj's progression and development was a welcome change but outside of that it was just pretty filler and normal without any great jokes until Sheldon's speech at the end.

Still worth tuning in every week but it seems like the episode gems are few and far between.

Pixieking

Banned
It was... okay?

I mean, if I knew they were actually going to be consistent with Raj's writing, and change of character, I'd think it was awesome.

But we all know what they're gonna do.

Pixieking

Banned

They're going to mostly ignore Raj for the next 2 or 3 episodes, and not touch upon Raj's independence until the next time they want to do something with his character. So, expect it to get a single passing reference next episode, and then nothing for another 3 or 4 episodes after that. They absolutely go through phases of "Oh! We've ignored Raj for awhile! Quick, do a Raj episode! Okay, that's good... Now we can ignore him for awhile again". Which is a shame, because for most of the other characters, the show is a definite ensemble comedy - everyone plays a role, and gets some funny lines each episode - but Raj has just been consistently side-lined for a couple of seasons now, and they've written him into a sad lonely corner. Much like Stewart.

Decent episode last night IMO. Was really cool seeing them continue their character development with Raj as opposed to just abandoning the plot thread which I expected them to do. Got a few laughs from the ending scenes as well.

The show remains the ultimate guilty pleasure. It's still enjoyable and worth tuning in every week.

In a disgusting move, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch have asked to be paid as much as their costars.
http://tvline.com/2017/02/28/the-bi...eason-11-contract-mayim-bialik-melissa-rauch/
Warner should hopefully quickly realize that it only makes sense to give them those raises. The show is hinging on them and they work as much as the others.

I feel like they have brought more to the show in the past two seasons than Penny has, so it makes sense. Probably doesn't help that the Penny/Leonard arc has basically reached it's conclusion.

Do you reckon this show will make it as far as Friends did? Friends did 19 seasons i think.

I think the main issues we got with Bbt are similar to friends. You get these tendrils of Judeu Christian values spoiling things a wee bit.

Like when Chandler gets Monica as his wife, he's gone, he's no longer funny.

Like everyone *has* to get together with someone. Even if it does detract.

Pixieking

Banned
Pretty good episode! Decently funny and entertaining. Also more progression for Raj. A return to form this week I think.

Yeah, I'm well-surprised they're sticking with Raj's storyline. And even Stewart wasn't a gaping maw of unfunny. Progress! :D

Also, in cast pay news: ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Stars Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch Seek Parity in New Contract
According to multiple sources, the five original cast members on the show – Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helberg — made the extraordinary gesture of taking a small pay cut to free up money for raises for Bialik and Rauch.

My OH still watches this and it blows my mind to see how far the show has distanced itself from it's origins. Jumping in to season 10 after not watching it for years is really strange. None of the characters seem to have much of their original personalities at all.

Same here to be honest man. I'm a pretty dedicated and massive fan of the show, but I don't think TBBT's lightning in a bottle amazingness (at least at the show's genesis and in earlier seasons) can be so easily replicated. It's like when everyone thought Joey would be a smash hit and then it died after like, two seasons because it failed to replicate the magic of Friends.

Also:

Created by Chuck Lorre and Steven Molaro, the series follows ”The Big Bang Theory's" Sheldon Cooper at age 9, living with his family in East Texas and going to high school.

This sounds like quite the disastrous creative decision. Sheldon needs to be much older than a child I think, as I doubt a child actor could effectively convey the character as well as Jim Parsons does. Also that link you posted says that CBS is going with two season renewal of TBBT which is good news. Doubt the show will proceed much further than that however.

devilhawk

Haven't watched this show in 4 years if not more. People are mentioning a drop in quality and comparisons to Friends.

Did the characters get Flanderized like Joey, Chandler, Monica, and especially Ross?

Joni

This sounds like quite the disastrous creative decision. Sheldon needs to be much older than a child I think, as I doubt a child actor could effectively convey the character as well as Jim Parsons does. Also that link you posted says that CBS is going with two season renewal of TBBT which is good news. Doubt the show will proceed much further than that however.

You can't go older because then you are running into 'this teen doesn't look or act like Jim Parsons territory'.

Pixieking

Banned
I get the feeling the spin-off will be very one-note. They can't have Sheldon have friends, not unless they ret-con his character (possible). Even if they do, how's it going to play? It'll be Junior Big Bang Theory, right down to the high-schoolers being awkward around girls, and Sheldon not "getting" social interactions and cues. Surely?

Okay episode. Decent-ish. The show's still worth watching as it remains enjoyable, but the decline in quality (and ratings by the looks of it) is quite obvious now.

I'd say last night's episode was probably the best in a while. Wasn't a fan of those that preceded it.

Decent episode, referring to the latest one. Actually had some emotional resonance with some good moments with Sheldon/Amy. Also read the preview for next week and
a new love interest for Sheldon while Amy is away is quite the interesting idea. Wonder how that will play out.

Anyone else catch the episode? Thoughts?

Pixieking

Banned
Decent episode, referring to the latest one. Actually had some emotional resonance with some good moments with Sheldon/Amy. Also read the preview for next week and
a new love interest for Sheldon while Amy is away is quite the interesting idea. Wonder how that will play out.

Anyone else catch the episode? Thoughts?

Regarding the spoiler, I was hoping they wouldn't do that - it's the most cliche thing ever. But what is TBBT without cliches and stereotypes? :p

But, yeah, that most recent episode was pretty good, though illustrates what I find most annoying about the plot-arcs of the series - the beginning and end of the seasons have emotional depth and character development, but the middles seem to just be marking time.

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah, that was...

Well, a bit pointless, in a way? Anyone who has paid even vague attention would know that
Sheldon wouldn't cheat on Amy. He's just not that kind of person
. And in hindsight it's fairly obvious that it was written to get
Sheldon to the stage where he proposes to Amy
. Which was a really sweet scene, but also made the whole episode a bit meh at the same time?

mm04

I predicted that Sheldon
would propose
as the finale a while ago. They're running out of things to do. It was nice seeing crazy
Nowitzki
again, though. I looked it up and I can't believe it's been that many years since her last appearance. Now all we need is for Raj to marry Stuart and they can end the series.

vypek

I predicted that Sheldon
would propose
as the finale a while ago. They're running out of things to do. It was nice seeing crazy
Nowitzki
again, though. I looked it up and I can't believe it's been that many years since her last appearance. Now all we need is for Raj to marry Stuart and they can end the series.

By the time that happens they'll have bought Burt/Bert into the fold and his romantic journey will begin once he is finally with the group. Of course they'll also have a storyline where he is still into Amy.

Dereck

It seems characteristic for Sheldon to do what he did the way he did it

Is he gonna never mention the kiss though

Pixieking

Banned
It'll just be more predictable material they can keep in their pockets for the next season

We're engaged but, I kissed that Whatevervitch woman, heartbreak ensues

Which would be realllllllly bloody annoying, because he didn't kiss her, she kissed him. Sure, he didn't pull away straight away, but when he did, he hustled off to see Amy.

Which isn't to say the writers won't do that, but it would mean I'd basically skip the episodes where he and Amy "break up" because of it, since it would be entirely manufactured anger/heartbreak, without an ounce of sincerity or depth.

Zoe

Bump. Don't think there's going to be enough interest for an S11 thread.

I think all the baby scenes were the best parts of the episode.

Pixieking

Banned
They were unexpected, which was good. Given Howard's desire for a baby in previous seasons, I was afraid they'd write him as all "YEY! BABY!".

The episode reminded me of how fine an actor Mayim Bialik is. Most of the heavy-lifting in the Sheldon/Amy scenes is done by Mayim, reacting to what Jim Parsons says, and it's a testament to her skills that we're emotionally invested in their relationship.

Also, yey for Stewart not being a void of creepiness! I don't expect it to last.

Edit: Also, glad to see that Sheldon didn't hide the kiss, and it wasn't played as some stupid misunderstanding that kept ShAmy apart even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom