• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I found a MAJOR contradiction in the Big Bang Theory. Zimbabwe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would forward this to the Minister of Television ASAP. Surely he will want to cancel the show and fire the writers responsible for such a gaffe.

dejay

Banned
You're trying too hard OP. It's a sitcom where the studio audience is a tape player and the at-home audience only cares about moment to moment pop culture references and laughing at the socially awkward situations.

From what I can tell the studio audience is actually a studio audience and they seem to work really hard to keep said audience engaged.

OP, there's an GINORMOUS contradiction in the very same episode, "The Bat Jar Conjecture". The guys are considering pulling in a ringer to compete with Sheldon in the physics bowl. Raj suggests "the girl from Blossom", AKA Mayim Bialik.

The same Mayim Bialik who later joined the show and plays Amy. So they know who Mayim Bialik is, but no one says anything when this "new girl" named "Amy" shows up. "Amy", who is visually identical to Mayim. Hmm.

DeathyBoy

Banned
[Penny: Hey, Sheldon!
(the audience chuckles)
Sheldon: Oh, hello, Penny!
(the audience begins getting excited, laughing without even knowing they are laughing or what they are laughing at)
Penny: What are you doing?
(nervous giggles are heard from all around the room)
Sheldon: Playing on a poorly coded Nintendo 64 emulator
(6 people die instantly. A shockwave with the force of 10 Hiroshima bombings erupts from the studio, causing billions of dollars worth of damage. The surviving audience members begin urinating and vomiting on each other, all while laughing uncontrollably from the funniest joke ever told)

Seems legit.

pantsmith

Maybe he was embarrassed he didn't catch the Looney Toons reference, so he spent a couple hours brushing up on Wikipedia and waited for the right moment (several seasons later) to communicate in a reference/joke she would understand.

I've done some weirder shit for girls I liked.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Maybe he was embarrassed he didn't catch the Looney Toons reference, so he spent a couple hours brushing up on Wikipedia and waited for the right moment (several seasons later) to communicate in a reference/joke she would understand.

I've done some weirder shit for girls I liked.

You mean after he fragmented her disc drive?

pantsmith

You mean after he fragmented her disc drive?

I have no idea what that means. The only time I've watched the show it was the only show in English on television and I was in Peru. I laughed because I had just gotten back from a day of ice climbing and elevation sickness, and was happy to be alive.

I think it was a christmas special.

Ezalc

Bojangles and Benghazi made me cry from laughing. Good job GAF. That parody is the only good thing to come out of this shit show.

daveo42

Banned
From what I can tell the studio audience is actually a studio audience and they seem to work really hard to keep said audience engaged.

Ah...I was under the assumption they used a laugh track for the show. After a bit of looking, they do use a studio audience for the taping, but add in laughs from the audience during the editing process. Better than a laugh track, but still seems suspect as it's the director trying to get the home audience laugh by making it seem that the studio audience loved the jokes and gags.

Edit: It's called a sweetened live audience.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There are a lot of stuff like that in the show.

In one of the episodes Sheldon mentions how he can't dance, but in later episodes you see Sheldon doing the chacha.

Damn.

Just like that my favorite show unravels more and more right before my eyes.

It's a shit show. Who cares?

Critical minded individuals who have digression when it comes to the media they consume.

It's a shit show. Who cares?

You have to be aware that OP is being sarcastic/acting/trolling/whatever, right? I mean, it's funny he goes to these lengths, but there's no way he's seriously bothered by this.

Personally, I just love loudly singing "WE BUILT THE PYRAMIDS" during the intro sequence. It's a strange habit I've developed whenever I catch a random episode on TV.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Go to a convention where the cast is assembled and bring up this point.

I don't have enough funds to afford the trip.

Hopefully I can sell the motivational posters I've been working on:

a3uAviL.jpg

You pay more attention than the writers do, obviously. Go watch shows that actually reward that and you'll have a good time.

Taramoor

Here's what you fail to realize. Sheldon is the type of nerd who will be ridiculed for a lack of knowledge in a specific area (in this case popular cartoons of the 40s) and will accept that lack of knowledge as not only the truth but also preferable. He is careful to take into his brain attic only those facts that he thinks he'll need.

However, Leonard is far more desperate to be accepted by the world at large, so when confronted with an apparent gap in his knowledge that leads to mocking from the outside world he will overcompensate and try to accumulate all knowledge in that area so that he can be prepared when it comes up in the future. This leads to hilarious hijinx Season 3, Episode 6, "The Cornhusker Vortex" wherein Leonard tries to understand the appeal of football by learning all its rules.

It only stands to reason that Leonard's desire to impress Penny would lead to devouring the entirety of Looney Tunes' library, including the more racist and socially insensitive cartoons like those featuring Speedy Gonzales. There are even hints of this in Season 2, Episode 5, and Season 4, Episode 18 when Leonard will make offhand comments that directly indicate an encyclopedic knowledge of old cartoons but no context in which to screen out those that are no longer appropriate.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Wouldn't these characters be the kind of people who would binge something they don't know then start referencing it as they would their nerdy uncool things?

If anything, the show is amazing and full of character development. Bravo show.

Fritz

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Looney Tune culture (I'm an expert), but cohesion and reference are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Disney where you can become successful by being an a******. If you're being incohesive with Looney Tunes references, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the world public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch TBBT, nor will they purchase any of the DVD sets. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the producer of the show has alienated an entire market with this move.

Producer, publicly apologize and cancel the Big Bang Theory or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Zoe

Ah...I was under the assumption they used a laugh track for the show. After a bit of looking, they do use a studio audience for the taping, but add in laughs from the audience during the editing process. Better than a laugh track, but still seems suspect as it's the director trying to get the home audience laugh by making it seem that the studio audience loved the jokes and gags.

Edit: It's called a sweetened live audience.

You mean like every live-audience show ever?

What about the episode where Kripke challanges Sheldon to some basketball and they both seem to have never been active in their life, let alone play basketball. Then later Kripke taking Sheldon rock climbing.

I can't remember any more right now but I know there are several inconsistencies throughout the series, just like every other tv show really.

LordOfChaos

They make *lots* of mistakes. Remember, the show is for people who think they know a bit about geeks. For true geeks like us, it doesn't work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom