• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Primary Debate [Iowa 2016] It's over! Get me out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

Got drinks and hot wings ready. Gonna be a fun night. Don't let me down Trump.

For maximum entertainment value, watch Christie. He has a reputation for being belligerent and his poll numbers are so low he has nothing to lose by breaking out the fireworks.

Szu

We need an alternative picture for Trump.

1435066755626.cached.jpg

Or

387821_cbc28c68b2_o_d.jpg

MedIC86

Trump is polling twice the numbers of the next highest candidate. He's pretty much the inevitable nominee at this point.

But if he becomes the candidate, wont he be destroyed in the 1v1 debates with the democrats? since he has no real politcal experience?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I was going to say "where's the betting pool" but it'd be pointless since everyone will vote for Trump

But if he becomes the candidate, wont he be destroyed in the 1v1 debates with the democrats? since he has no real politcal experience?

Stranger things have happened. Remember Romney was polling closest after the first debate with Obama where he was widely considered the winner, even though he didn't even have specific proposals in place. Not to mention I don't consider Hillary the strongest debater.

I really really feel bad for the Republicans on this site. This could have been a conscious effort but hey...

I don't. With exception of a few, most can't and don't support their beliefs beyond vague platitudes. They exist here too. They came out in droves when the GOP won during the mid terms.

I guess so, but holy shit i cant even begin to imagine a world were a guy like him is the president of the USA...

This is a country that reelected George W Bush only 10 years ago. The Republicans have a majority in the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, and state governors. Don't drink the gaf kool-aid and think the country is that liberal - it's not. Romney came within a few percentage points despite Obama's incumbent advantage, and let's face it, Hillary is not nearly as likeable as Obama. It's very possible for the next president to be Republican.

Right now Trump is polling far ahead of other Republicans and it's only going up. Fox's debate structure only works further to his advantage.

kirblar

Is there really a chance of the GOP choosing Trump to run against Hillary?
You know the answer is yes.
This is a country that reelected George W Bush only 10 years ago. The Republicans have a majority in the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, and state governors. Don't drink the gaf kool-aid and think the country is that liberal - it's not. Romney came within a few percentage points despite Obama's incumbent advantage, and let's face it, Hillary is not nearly as likeable as Obama. It's very possible for the next president to be Republican.

Right now Trump is polling far ahead of other Republicans and it's only going up. Fox's debate structure only works further to his advantage.
Country's more liberal than that indicates- the issue is that the voting system favors rural areas over urban ones, giving the GOP a bunch of edges.

Absolutely fantastic OP. Although, I'm not crazy about the title, but that's just because I'm against titles with two jokes in them, as a matter of principle.

So psyched for this debate.

If a sane Republican like Jon Huntsman was running he'd be the Blondie of the movie. Probably the only sane Republican contender I can think of.

Imagine if trump skips the debate
U kidding. He is a showman. He's gonna treat it like reality TV (Apprentice). Thinks he will eat the other contenders on live TV. He is probably looking forward to this with bated breath. This is Trump's wheelhouse.

He will say "you're fired" to one of the losers.

adj_noun

Imagine if trump skips the debate

I'm not entirely convinced the whole campaign isn't viral marketing for the next (secret) season of Celebrity Apprentice.

Even Trump getting canned from the show was just a sooper secret op to boost ratings, you heard it here first, it's gonna be huge.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
These quotes at least don't seem obviously terrible at first glance. Not sure of the context of Christie's.

The entire reason Rubio is on the national stage is due to immigration as an issue. Without that no one even notices him. Kasich hasn't been around long enough for me to get anything better, but that quote is still a little scary, and Christie's quote is just indicative of his entire personality. The dude just yells at random people who ask him challenging questions at town halls. Unfortunately the lower in the polls you go, the less material you have to work with.

Are similar OPs made for the Democratic party? Cause this is awesome.

Depends on who claims it. I've got an entire series lined out for the GOP debates already, this is only part one.

Ben Carson really said that?

Every single quote in the OP is legit. Even the Ted Cruz one that sounds like I made it up. I only use the realest of quotes.

Obama spanked both Romney and McCain in the election. The electoral college is all that matters currently and it's has a pretty huge built in liberal bias right now. Of course I don't think republicans will win the popular vote either since they've only done that once in the last 27 years and that was with the terror threat

Farmboy

Obama spanked both Romney and McCain in the election. The electoral college is all that matters currently and it's has a pretty huge built in liberal bias right now. Of course I don't think republicans will win the popular vote either since they've only done that once in the last 27 years and that was with the terror threat

The 'liberal bias' of the EC is overstated. It's not insignificant (a couple of percentage points), but that will matter only in a very close race; in the vast majority of cases the winner of the popular vote will win the EC as well.

The real advantage is in demographics: the share of non-white voters in presidential elections is ever increasing. And for obvious reasons, these voters favor the Democrats.

The electoral college is misleading because it's winner-take-all. 332-206 in 2012 looks like a landslide right? Well, you flip Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Colorado and Romney wins 275-263. Here's what Obama got in those 4 states:

50.01%
50.67%
51.16%
51.49%

We're talking about a 2-3% flip in 4 states and the Republicans win. Again that's with an incumbent president and arguably the best campaigner of our lifetime. With a slightly lower turnout due to Hillary's "inevitability" it's pretty easy for a GOP white house.

pigeon

Banned
The electoral college is misleading because it's winner-take-all. 332-206 in 2012 looks like a landslide right? Well, you flip Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Colorado and Romney wins 275-263. Here's what Obama got in those 4 states:

50.01%
50.67%
51.16%
51.49%

We're talking about a 2-3% flip in 4 states and the Republicans win. Again that's with an incumbent president and arguably the best campaigner of our lifetime. With a slightly lower turnout due to Hillary's "inevitability" it's pretty easy for a GOP white house.

That's not really the right metric. Obama only got 51.49% of the vote in Colorado, but his margin was 5.37% because like 3% of the vote always goes to third parties.

So you're kind of right, but a 5% swing is a lot bigger than a 2% swing. 5% means 10% of Obama's voting coalition doesn't turn out. 5% is going from losing every swing voter to winning every swing voter. (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/us/politics/pursuing-the-elusive-swing-voter.html?_r=0)

It's not an impossible margin to lose, but it's also not just "whoops, I forgot to vote for myself" territory. The Democrats have a sizable advantage.

That said, it's not because of the electoral college, it's because most of the country is Democratic. The electoral college has changed the outcome of maybe one presidential race ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom