• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC poll: Trump continues to lead the GOP field after 1st debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

Who or what will finally stump the Trump? Everything else has failed so far.

Just look at this...

gzIH2c6.jpg

kirblar

yeah, 538 has been consistently wrong about trump from the jump. Last time it was "don't trust trump's poll numbers, his comments about McCain will sink him!"
HIlariously, it turned out Dems were way more concerned about the comments than GOPs were.

shanafan

Caught some highlights from Trump's visit to Michigan, and this guy has my vote so good right now. The media wants to focus on stuff like his hair or his comments about a shock TV news reporter, while we have real issues in the world like with ISIS and our economy. I am so glad that he said that because he is right.

IMO, these cable news anchors goals are for shock TV. They want to make people look bad in any way possible because it's good for ratings. This is why I don't even watch any cable news channel because it's just a bunch of fluff anyways.

Fatalah

Caught some highlights from Trump's visit to Michigan, and this guy has my vote so good right now. The media wants to focus on stuff like his hair or his comments about a shock TV news reporter, while we have real issues in the world like with ISIS and our economy. I am so glad that he said that because he is right.

IMO, these cable news anchors goals are for shock TV. They want to make people look bad in any way possible because it's good for ratings. This is why I don't even watch any cable news channel because it's just a bunch of fluff anyways.

Trump FTW! What a wild ride. Hillary's reading emails, Trump's kicking butt!

Dilly

Banned

It is easy to point out issues, but it doesn't look easy for Trump to actually state what he's going to do about it.

It's one-liner after one-liner, his Michigan speech consisted of nothing more than "boy, are our leaders DUMB'. Everyone can do that.

sangreal

It is easy to point out issues, but it doesn't look easy for Trump to actually state what he's going to do about it.

It's one-liner after one-liner, his Michigan speech consisted of nothing more than "boy, are our leaders DUMB'. Everyone can do that.

Is having some interns write up policy proposals you never intend to implement really an important part of our political process? We vote for politicians not their staff

I remember when I used to cite all the great plans Obama had on his website back in 2008. I was so naive. I probably spent more time reading them than Obama

Blader

I would also rather talk about the issues than Trump's hair. Vote for me please.

Anion

What freaks me out isn't that Trump is in first place, but that Ted Cruz is in second. He's the nuttiest, most dangerous nutjob of the bunch, but that doesn't stop the GOP base from liking the guy.
Honestly it just shows how ridiculous the party has gotten when you have Trump and Cruz taking 1st and 2nd

Like seriously wat

Honestly it just shows how ridiculous the party has gotten when you have Trump and Cruz taking 1st and 2nd

Like seriously wat
Ted Cruz is so hard right and annoying/whiny that he has zero chance in the general.

Bush, walker, Trump, and others know how to tack back to the middle. Cruz just can't do that. Not in his nature and to much old tape of him being a hard right nut.

chadskin

Repost from PoliGAF . .

So I go to C-Span.org and search on 'Jeb Bush':

First result is Trump.

And it has 10X as many views.

LOL, Jeb.

kirblar

Ezra Klein retweeted
Dan Pfeiffer ‏@danpfeiffer 35m35 minutes ago

There are going to be a lot of very concerned Bush/Walker/Rubio superpac donors after this new CNN Iowa poll
Oh, this should be fun.

Is having some interns write up policy proposals you never intend to implement really an important part of our political process? We vote for politicians not their staff

I remember when I used to cite all the great plans Obama had on his website back in 2008. I was so naive. I probably spent more time reading them than Obama
Whenever you voice disappointment with Obama consider that 45% of his promises have been kept to only 22% broken. With the others compromised, stalled or in progress.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

1) Obama actually did work quite a bit on the campaign promises he made. There's a website that has tracked them and the rate isn't that bad.

2) There's a difference between "a lot of campaign promises are not kept, so platform isn't integral" and "It's perfectly OK for a candidate to have absolutely no platform because they don't mean anything". You're swinging to the polar opposite end of the spectrum just because.

EDIT: ^Post above me actually has the link.

sangreal

Whenever you voice disappointment with Obama consider that 45% of his promises have been kept to only 22% broken. With the others compromised, stalled or in progress.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

This furthers my point. Look at the promises kept. They're high level platitudes, not down in the weeds policy specifics. The detailed proposals written up by some wonk like:
Carried interest is a way of compensating executives by giving them ownership stakes, or "interest," in a business. Carried interest is taxed as a capital gain, which has a lower tax rate than ordinary income. Obama proposes taxing carried interest at the same rate as regular income.

are long forgotten before the election

My point is not that politicians are full of shit and don't keep their promises anyway. My point is that the 300 page proposals they churn out for the campaign trail are meaningless. They may or may not implement the top-level bullet points, but they couldn't care less about the finer details other than to say they have a plan. Presidents don't deal with policy at a low level either, so I don't know what the point of the charade is.

This furthers my point. Look at the promises kept. They're high level platitudes, not down in the weeds policy specifics. The detailed proposals written up by some wonk like:

are long forgotten before the election

My point is not that politicians are full of shit and don't keep their promises anyway. My point is that the 300 page proposals they churn out for the campaign trail are meaningless. They may or may not implement the top-level bullet points, but they couldn't care less about the finer details other than to say they have a plan.

Romney wasn't elected partly due to both him and Ryan just blurting out "we have a plan! We have a plan!" and they would just handwave shit away when asked to elaborate. People actually do care about a politician's platform to a certain extent. Many of them are obviously not kept, but it's a much better indicator of what a politician intends to do once he gets into the White House instead of saying a bunch of random shit people want to hear.

I find it really odd that you're criticizing Obama for "high level platitudes" but giving Trump a pass for HIS "high level platitudes". Trumps no-platform verbal diarrhea is better because...it's not written as a formal platform? You're not making any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom