• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC GOP National poll: Trump leads, Cruz eats Carson, Jeb!: ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...etakes-lead-gop-race-cruz-makes-gains-n466651

NBC Nov 15-17th

Trump: 28% (+2)
Carson: 18% (-8)
Cruz: 18% (+8)
Rubio: 11%(+2)
Bush: 4% (-1)
Christie: 3%
Fiorina: 3% (-1)

(Last Month) NBC Oct 27-29
Trump: 26%
Carson: 26%
Cruz: 10%
Rubio: 9%
Bush: 5%
Fiorina: 4%

In the Republican primary race, the newest NBC News/SurveyMonkey online poll shows Donald Trump has the frontrunner spot to himself, with 28% support among Republican and independent voters who lean Republican. Support for Ben Carson, who was tied with Trump in last month's online poll, has fallen off by 8 points and the former neurosurgeon is now tied with Ted Cruz at 18%. Trailing not too far behind is Marco Rubio, at 11%. The next tier of candidates has a lot of catching up to do, with Jeb Bush at 4% and Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina each with 3%.

During the volatile primary season, the attention that is gained from being the lead candidate in the polls can be a mixed blessing. The media tends to shift its focus to those candidates leading the race - and that spotlight can seem especially harsh to those who are newer to the political scene. At the same time, rival candidates are quick to target any apparent or imagined flaw of those in the lead. This is what happened to Ben Carson during the last two weeks, as he came under scrutiny for biographical details in his memoir and criticism for his lack of foreign policy expertise.

3sm_bf7638762ef35cf161700c54c24c7542.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg

Carson and the other Republican candidates still have more than two months before the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary to gain traction. Looking at a number of subgroups may offer some clues as to how the early contests could go. The NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll was conducted nationwide of 5,775 adults, including 2,440 Republican and Republican-leaning voters, which allows for us to look at key voting blocs.

Ben Carson is still the preferred candidate of 25% of white evangelicals, but Donald Trump (23%) and Ted Cruz (22%) have clearly eaten away at what used to be the main pillar of Carson support. Among those who identify as very conservative, Ted Cruz now has the highest level of support, with 40%, overtaking both Carson (15%) and Trump (28%).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Trump, Carson, and Cruz. The unholy Trinity of stoopid.

Bowler

How Rubio is in 4th in these polls is mind boggling, he is like the only fucking sain person running on the pub side

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Damn, Fiorina is done
I wonder if Jeb can recover at all

GOP HQ

"The numbers are in sir... Trump, Carson and Cruz are the top three front runners"

"There has to be something we can do, we must still have time to re-direct the primary voters to someone more respectable..."

QS_028e914618cd40c38c97ba34e0cb3f59.jpg

Old man looking at the computer screen

"I'm afraid that time has come and gone my friend."

Raxus

Glad Carson is looking more and more like a flash in the pan. That man is certifiable.

JEB! is fading fast.

Herbs

Banned
amazing. how does this compare to the last election?

when does the shift from "these are the crazy front runners, lalala Herman Cain, lalala" shift to "oh shit."

I knew Carson numbers mimicked the flavor of the month candidates from last election. Trump is definitely winning the primaries. He has too much of a lead too late into the game.

Where is Nate Silver now?

lednerg

I knew Carson numbers mimicked the flavor of the month candidates from last election. Trump is definitely winning the primaries. He has too much of a lead too late into the game.

Where is Nate Silver now?

Currently saying stuff like:

@NateSilver538 - About 25% of Americans identify as Republican. Donald Trump's getting about 25% of that 25% in the polls. Why is this impressive to people?​

Hammer24

Banned
i think if its just between Cruz & Rubio, Rubio would barely overcome him

i still say Rubio

Rubio needs to kick Jeb out to secure all Florida support (especially the ones on the fence between him and Jeb); and he has to make up ground in Iowa towards Cruz, who seems to have sewn up the evangelical vote there; if he wants to get into front runner status.

ElTorro

As much as I hate Ben Carson, it boils my blood that an idiot like Ted Cruz is catching up with him

I actually think that Cruz is the most unbearable of them all. He is such a smug liar.

lednerg

The guy is in denial. His hate for Trump is making him lose credibility.

I wanna feel bad for the guy, but he's too proud to admit how much of a wildcard Trump is and that no mathematical model, no matter how well tuned, could reasonably be expected to account for him.

linsivvi

Trump, Carson, and Cruz. The unholy Trinity of stoopid.

Trump and Cruz are not stupid. I mean, they make dumb moves from time to time, but they are both very smart. They are doing exactly what is needed to appeal to dumb voters.

The real stupid is Jeb. When you have the establishment support, a gazillion dollars and a team of advisers that have won numerous elections and still barely surviving, you have to be a grade A moron.

God I hate Cruz so much. This guy litterally makes me sick to my stomache. I hate how much he's been rising recently. I'lll litterally take any other candidate on that list with open arms over him.
and I hate all the other candidates as well, that's how much I dislike Cruz.

How Rubio is in 4th in these polls is mind boggling, he is like the only fucking sain person running on the pub side

Once the moderates who are at the bottom drop out, someone is going to get a fairly large bump. I don't see Christie, Bush, and Forina supporters moving over to Trump or Carson.

ElTorro

Ted Cruz is extremely smart going by his bio.

He is evil and knows what image and message to send.

Trump and Cruz are not stupid. I mean, they make dumb moves from time to time, but they are both very smart. They are doing exactly what is needed to appeal to dumb voters.

I am certain that they are not stupid. I meant to say that they are the ones who (purposefully) say the stupidest things. Which makes Cruz in particular so unbearable.

Briarios

The guy is in denial. His hate for Trump is making him lose credibility.

Huh? What he's saying is exactly right. Someone like Trump would have no chance in general election. Primaries skew towards extremist voters, which tamps down for the main election. Plus, the current polling is going to shift a lot as more candidates drop out.

Huh? What he's saying is exactly right. Someone like Trump would have no chance in general election. Primaries skew towards extremist voters, which tamps down for the main election. Plus, the current polling is going to shift a lot as more candidates drop out.

He's completely out of his mind if he thinks the Carson holdouts will go to someone like Rubio. Cruz maybe, but not Bush or Rubio. Trump is the safe bet at this point and anyone arguing against it is doing so without enough data or logic to back it up.

deadlast

Looking at these polls, I'm so glad I registered republican so I can vote against Cruz. He scares me the most. I couldn't live in a world controlled by Cruz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom