• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, it really doesn't feel that way in execution (although it undoubtedly did for GW1 and I still played PvE like that sometimes).

Well, there is still the problem of binding at least 16 different keybinds and having character movement as well as mouse movement/mouse look.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Another change I hope they make: Witcher 1 OTS style camera.

Moving the mouse moves the camera, selection is done with a small reticule in the center. Holding a key or entering a menu brings up the cursor.

jkoch

I don't think it's a fact that we lost. I just don't wanna be stuck on a server where it ends up being a lot of people that are clueless. It's no fun losing cause your server is a clusterfuck, and it's no fun winning cause you're so bad the people you're up against are even worse.

It's the first time most people played the game. What do you expect?

Can anyone explain, what you get by completing Dialy and Monthly Achievements? Are you getting gold or karma or is it just something to keep you playing?

Also while playing I got a couple of "Skill Point Books" from a few guys, but even after I used them they stayed in my inventory. Is there any reason to keep these or do I just sell them to a merchant?

jkoch

Jon Peters just posted this on the forums:

What else:
Finally because of the more action based nature of combat Melee needs to be taught better. Effective Melee requires skills that translate over from FPS games which are notoriously harder on casual players. You have to wasd to move, constantly aim with your mouse camera, and hit skills on 1-5.

I didn't realize until Sunday that I don't need to keep hitting 1 to attack.

Can anyone explain, what you get by completing Dialy and Monthly Achievements? Are you getting gold or karma or is it just something to keep you playing?

Also while playing I got a couple of "Skill Point Books" from a few guys, but even after I used them they stayed in my inventory. Is there any reason to keep these or do I just sell them to a merchant?

Achievements seem to grant points, I have no idea what these do at the moment. The skill point books can be placed in your (account-wide) bank and used by other characters. The books themselves bind and can't be withdrawn, but they can still be used.

I didn't realize until Sunday that I don't need to keep hitting 1 to attack.

You don't have to. But it seems like you attack a tiny bit faster if you do. But if you want to focus on avoidance and using utilities and other skills it's definitely useful. But you can also set that to other skills also. Under a big battle you can set it to heal to heal you every time it's up. It's really useful.

You can destroy them...I think they become a collectible or something, but still unsure.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I really don't want to open a can of worms here, but the concept of voluntarily using a gamepad to play a MMORPG is boggling my mind. That's like putting on extra weird and clumsy shoes before participating in a marathon.
That's exactly how I feel when I think about being hunched over a keyboard with one hand on a mouse and the other hand dancing around a keyboard like an octopus playing the drums.

Playing the game on a 42" tv, from my couch, with my hands on a controller is not a handicap at all. Just takes a little bit of tinkering to find a control scheme that is comfortable. Heck, I even play GW1 with a controller.

mbmonk

What else:
Finally because of the more action based nature of combat Melee needs to be taught better. Effective Melee requires skills that translate over from FPS games which are notoriously harder on casual players. You have to wasd to move, constantly aim with your mouse camera, and hit skills on 1-5.

In an FPS you might switch weapons once or max twice during a single encounter, depending on the game of course. In GW2 you are constantly pressing the number keys during combat while moving if you are melee. That is why I am thinking about trying these controller setups. I could probably get used to doing pressing the number keys while moving, but I also like the idea of not having to hold down the right mouse button for a majority of the time I am navigating the environment.

But I am sure the controller setups have their flaws as well. The grass is always greener on the other side I suppose. :)

EDIT: To be clear I can hit the number keys while moving I am just not super efficient at it. In an FPS the frequency of doing this is much less than GW2. Normally, in an FPS, I could get away with binding my main weapon to mouse wheel up and my secondary to mouse wheel down and never have to worry about movement and weapons selection with my keyboard hand.

EDIT2: Maybe I should just get this. I think it might have enough buttons on it. :p
razer-naga-mmog-laser-gaming-mouse.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, there is still the problem of binding at least 16 different keybinds and having character movement as well as mouse movement/mouse look.
Sort of a silly way of looking at it. Instead of thinking of representing keybinds with button presses, think about how you would want to perform a certain action on a gamepad. A 360 controller has 14 discreet (digital) buttons available without using any dual keypresses, anyway, so even if you did want to use a 1-to-1 assignment (which I don't) you could get pretty close.

Mouse cursor control/mouselook is toggled by clicking the right stick, and is one of the most crucial aspects of the scheme to me. Movement is forward/back/horizontal strafe on the left stick like in any TPS.

That's exactly how I feel when I think about being hunched over a keyboard with one hand on a mouse and the other hand dancing around a keyboard like an octopus playing the drums.

Playing the game on a 42" tv, from my couch, with my hands on a controller is not a handicap at all. Just takes a little bit of tinkering to find a control scheme that is comfortable. Heck, I even play GW1 with a controller.
Same, although I have to say that GW1 feels downright awkward after having the ability to jump and dodge in GW2.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It probably is a handicap, though, once you unlock everything and have to switch between weapons, skills, etc in battle.

Artadius

I found something extremely tedious about this game when I tried to play the PvE like I would play PvP. MMO combat is still MMO combat. It's heavily predicated on an autoattack and short cooldowns, it still feels laggy and unresponsive and like your grip on whats happening is very loose overall. Having to put forth more effort to be effective in PvE combat ended up irritating me rather than engaging me. And I'm not talking about keyboard turning and S-keying.

The problem is quantity. It's fun the first few times to realize that you can dodge an ettin's huge hammer attack that does 1/3 of your health. But after the 25th time, you just want to stand there and eat it. It's the same thing that bugs me about raiding in traditional MMOs. I enjoy learning a hard fight, applying the strategy correctly and overcoming the challenge. But doing it over and over again week after week is just irritating. I just want to stand in the fire and collect my fucking loot. I've already proven myself, why the fuck am I still playing this game?

PvP combat is more engaging because it's not formulaic. It just feels different to engage another player and to have to play at the height of your abilities to beat them even after the 1000th time doing it. That's why people still play Counterstrike: the repetitiveness of it is still engaging against a human enemy. Difficult repetition against an AI is just fucking annoying. I like my PvE MMO combat to be slow and boring so I can watch videos on my other monitor, zone out listening to music or talk to people on Teamspeak.

I wouldn't say that the game was outrageously difficult, I would say that it was very annoyingly difficult. It was difficult in a way unbecoming the type of game that its trying to be, and it made the game frustrating to play for me. It's not even a matter of not utilizing what's at your disposal: you can dodge, pop every cooldown, constantly update your gear, kite, weapon switch, you name it, and it is very often not enough. Lots of stupid shit conspires to make the experience often turn sour for the player with no warning and no way for the player to counteract it.

From being underleveled at every turn; lack of significant progression in your character's strength past the unlocking of skills; large groups of enemies respawning on your head and instantly aggroing; bosses overscaling and one shotting you with single, unavoidable attacks; and unsplittable groups of enemies that you cannot beat by yourself because of your limited arsenal of abilities, the game's difficult needs significant retuning.

I think I've figured out your problem. You're a lazy MMO player. Not saying that as an insult... there's a LOT of lazy MMO players out there that have been spoon fed their content the last few years.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It probably is a handicap, though, once you unlock everything and have to switch between weapons, skills, etc in battle.
Well you can't switch between skills in battle... and swap weapons is one button press (down on the dpad for me).

I truly believe it is no handicap, though I offer the caveat that as far as competitive, high-level PVP I would never claim it was equally viable. The top players in the world will use a keyboard and mouse and use all kinds of ludicrous shortcuts and tricks I'll never know.

But in terms of just being able to access all basic functions, I don't see it as a handicap at all, and in some regards (circle strafing, mmm) it provides a legitimate advantage!

The "once you unlock everything" is funny, because after I set up my profile but hadn't yet unlocked all my utility slots, I had button combos on my gamepad that were set up properly but did nothing, which felt a lot more of a handicap than keeping track of all unlocked skills
KuGsj.gif

edit: @above

indeed, this stuff specifically:
I just want to stand in the fire and collect my fucking loot.
I like my PvE MMO combat to be slow and boring so I can watch videos on my other monitor, zone out listening to music or talk to people on Teamspeak.
These are symptoms of the exact malady ArenaNet is attempting to cure. I fervently hope comments of this nature are completely ignored in tuning the game.

Alex

I like my PvE MMO combat to be slow and boring so I can watch videos on my other monitor, zone out listening to music or talk to people on Teamspeak.

I dont understand how this is a complaint, if you want a shitter MMO, there's a lot to pick from. Roll a new class in WoW or something.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I dont understand how this is a complaint, if you want a shitter MMO, there's a lot to pick from. Roll a new class in WoW or something.

Years ago, I remember I used to time how long it took me to kill a mob on my pally. It was often over 30 seconds :\

Shanlei91

Nah, played in PVP mostly on Sunday after I got a control scheme that worked, so everything was unlocked. Was swapping weapons and using skills with no problem.

In fact, there were many instances where I would run out of a fight and was able to jump onto a house's roof while my attackers would miss the jump. <3 controller platforming

Same, although I have to say that GW1 feels downright awkward after having the ability to jump and dodge in GW2.
It does but in exchange it has a much more tranquil feeling of not requiring you to dodge or jump around.

Yeah, I didn't really find his comment reassuring. His comments seem to fall heavily on combat when solo or in a small group when the complaints largely come from large scale fights. I dont think I've seen too many complaints about solo play. Hopefully there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than teaching people to play. Thats not the problem on about 80% of the issues.

We will have to wait and see. I will probanly play more of a melee class next time. Though i played duel daggers ele which is very similar. Though they seemed the weekest damage wise of all ele weapons which I was dissapointed with.

Exactly, I didn't really get a chance to WvW sadly but my concerns seemed to be voiced by many that played melee in WvW. I did notice on big group quests where I just had to run out and sit and watch ranged take the mob down. I'm good at playing melee (not good at knowing GW2 for sure though) so I don't keyboard turn, I don't click, I've played CoH, WAR, Aion, and WoW all as melee.

Unless it's small scale where you have the ability to close and such, PVP can be a drag as melee because of focus firing from ranged and AoE.

I am a bit worried by his statement of "L2P" but I hope they tweak and fix it to accommodate more melee play. My biggest worry is what happened in WAR where the castle sieges were basically just a bunch of melee hanging around while ranged had an all out war from the tops of the walls to down below. You just felt worthless until you broke through and tanked a mob or two inside.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/races/charr/Charr-Female-s-needs-boobs/page/3#post130196

This was a fantastic reply from Kristen Perry in regards to someone wanting boobs on Female Charr

(I also saw a link in a response below her that showed Pandas in the WoW Expansion... I just thought "Wow..." since that's the first time I've seen that)

So a cat in a miniskirt doesn't "inspire fear" in your enemies, but a human or a plant-thing in a miniskirt does?

Who would have thunk!

I'm sorry, but the whole pseudo-feminist stuff in that post doesn't match up at all with everything else in the game.
" It shouldn&#8217;t matter if a female has breasts or not. But alas, in games of this day and age, boobs on a catgirl are still boobs on a catgirl. And for once in the laws of game design, I&#8217;d like the merit of a charr female not to be visually weighed on the size of her chest, but the size of her battle."
Again, why then for all other races and classes?

Orayn

Guys, I'm going into withdrawal. I wanna go get 100% on more areas, but ArenaNet won't let me.

EXP MUST FLOW! BARS MUST BE FILLED!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So a cat in a miniskirt doesn't "inspire fear" in your enemies, but a human or a plant-thing in a miniskirt does?

Who would have thunk!

I'm sorry, but the whole pseudo-feminist stuff in that post doesn't match up at all with everything else in the game.
" It shouldn’t matter if a female has breasts or not. But alas, in games of this day and age, boobs on a catgirl are still boobs on a catgirl. And for once in the laws of game design, I’d like the merit of a charr female not to be visually weighed on the size of her chest, but the size of her battle."
Your point is well-taken but there is significant merit to what she was saying; it's not a "psuedo-feminst" stance she's taking, she's saying they're not giving in to the pressure to sexualize things more as has become the norm many times over (have you seen TERA....?). I actually found the bit about how the Sylvari will have small chests relatively more significant than the notes about the Charr.

ShaneB

Guys, I'm going into withdrawal. I wanna go get 100% on more areas, but ArenaNet won't let me.

EXP MUST FLOW! BARS MUST BE FILLED!

I've come to pretend that every post in this thread pops with that chat beep sound.

Also, change the title :( It's taunting me, the beta is NOT live!! :*(

2 weeks to Diablo 3!!!

2San

EDIT2: Maybe I should just get this. I think it might have enough buttons on it. :p
razer-naga-mmog-laser-gaming-mouse.jpg
Still think the first priority for any MMOer is to get a N52(te)(I have the Belkin one, but I'm assuming the razer one is fine).
pjkpP.jpg

WASD is replaced by D-pad movement. Remove the nub though!

After that to get the Razer Naga or maybe another mouse, that still has more buttons than the standard fair. That RAT MMO mouse looked decent. I use the naga + the N52te. Some MMO's sadly are pretty damn ridiculous how much skills you have to manage and I dislike switching profiles or using modifier buttons.

edit: Not sure what's more important for GW2 in particular though, since I haven't played it. :|

Who would have thunk!

I don't think she has a problem with sexual types of clothing as much as she does not want to see the female Charr become in any way "sexed up", and it makes sense considering what they are. I liked interacting with female Charr in the story, one of the first time where the females got a lot of respect and weren't afraid to try to tear into anyone they didn't like. Boobs on Tauren, Worgen, and now Pandas in WoW always looked weird, and I was never able to come up with a good reason as to why they even had them, other than to try to give them the female "look".

Shanlei91

The problem is quantity. It's fun the first few times to realize that you can dodge an ettin's huge hammer attack that does 1/3 of your health. But after the 25th time, you just want to stand there and eat it. It's the same thing that bugs me about raiding in traditional MMOs. I enjoy learning a hard fight, applying the strategy correctly and overcoming the challenge. But doing it over and over again week after week is just irritating. I just want to stand in the fire and collect my fucking loot. I've already proven myself, why the fuck am I still playing this game?

PvP combat is more engaging because it's not formulaic. It just feels different to engage another player and to have to play at the height of your abilities to beat them even after the 1000th time doing it. That's why people still play Counterstrike: the repetitiveness of it is still engaging against a human enemy. Difficult repetition against an AI is just fucking annoying.

This sounds at first a bit cray cray, but I get where you're coming from. I think this is more of a rant about the nature of MMOs than anything else. When reviewing other forms of games, reviewers will give negative marks for repetition, applauding a change in formula that puts players on their toes. Intelligent AI is always praised as result. This is also why as the market for gaming grew in the last decade, people unfamiliar with RPGs said "why would I want to press the same button over and over with no challenge?" and as result multiplayer gaming became more popular. Playing against humans adds variety. Their tactics differ, difficulty is not steady. You can play against idiots and you can play against great players - who are still capable of messing up thus adding variety to the mix.

The nature of the MMO is that of the traditional RPG where you are basically doing the same damn thing over and over. The one thing I loved about GW1 was the deathmatch nature of PVP. Tired of the game? Jump into PVP immediately! I still haven't beaten the Prophecies campaign yet have probably sunked tons and tons of hours into that game.

It seems your complaint though is that if a game is asking you to do the same damn thing over and over, at least make it easy. Which on one level is ridiculous. You're asking for the game to be mind-numbing, simple and basically a chore for you to run in the background while you multitask. On the other hand, having to roll around as an enemy attacks you is fun. But doing it over and over again is the same as if the enemy were easy. You essentially are making the mundane chore now harder. It is the grind without the ability to multitask - peppered in with some frustration. I personally think the difficulty issues with the game are not due to the demanding combat system but because the game enjoys spawning guys on your head.

The positive side of the Guild Wars franchise is that if PVE bores you, PVP is heavily supported by devs and considered by many to be the end game. So if you become self-aware of the grind promoted by the game you can venture off to do something else.

Example of how this game's PVE is: Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. Players team up against waves of enemy AI. Combat requires full attention from players, so you can't just run off and make a sandwich. To unlock weapons/characters you need to replay the same levels, fighting the same guys over and over. Players eventually found certain strategies that would ensure a win. Came to the point that I would enter a match, hide behind cover and do the same thing over and over and over again, just to unlock a weapon. I stopped playing once I realized unlocking that weapon was pointless because it would lead to me just doing the same thing over and over again...just a bit faster.

This reminds me of playing Star Wars Galaxies...it supported in-game macros. I would run out to a spawn of enemies, hit the macro, and start watching movies. Video games are a job.

Vano

Who would have thunk!

" It shouldn&#8217;t matter if a female has breasts or not. But alas, in games of this day and age, boobs on a catgirl are still boobs on a catgirl. And for once in the laws of game design, I&#8217;d like the merit of a charr female not to be visually weighed on the size of her chest, but the size of her battle."

Because the theme of the Charr is about blood, fear, battle and fighting, not looking cute or so stylized like their Human and Norn counterparts. The culture of the Charr is like that.

And yea, a Human or Norn female wouldn't look so fearful in a miniskirt but their theme isn't to be full like that. Each race have their theme and culture and if their clothes reflect that then its more faithful to their theme.

And the others races have boobs because: Humans in real life have boobs and the Norn too because they are like humans only giants, so it have logic they have. Sylvari like she explained, because they take the image of the Humans. Asura dunno if they have and the Charr don't have boobs because they don't have, simple as that, evolution, different form of feeding they cubs or w/e reason they can imagine.

Not everything female in an universe needs to have boobs.

Still think the first priority for any MMOer is to get a N52(te)(I have the Belkin one, but I'm assuming the razer one is fine).
pjkpP.jpg

After that to get the Razer Naga or maybe another mouse, that still has more buttons than the standard fair. That RAT MMO mouse looked decent. I use the naga + the N52te. Some MMO's sadly are pretty damn ridiculous how much skills you have to manage and I dislike switching profiles or using modifier buttons.

edit: Not sure what's more important for GW2 in particular though, since I haven't played it. :|

I've been seriously contemplating getting this as I hate modifiers. I've read really good things about the Logitech G13 and might spring for one, do you find it easier on the hands and the thumb movement tough to get use to or does it all kind of "flow" after a while. I have the Naga mouse and love it!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Your point is well-taken but there is significant merit to what she was saying; it's not a "psuedo-feminst" stance she's taking, she's saying they're not giving in to the pressure to sexualize things more as has become the norm many times over (have you seen TERA....?). I actually found the bit about how the Sylvari will have small chests relatively more significant than the notes about the Charr.

I see, but I'd still call it "pseudo" simply because to me it sounds like an excuse, a made-up explanation after everything's done. I don't buy this to be an actual reason for anything one bit. Not interested in sexualizing things more? One glimpse at the starter outfits negates this point. Oh, and I tried to play around with the editor to do a non-boobie-maxed female character. If you tried too, you'd know how that looks like in GW2.

That said, I'm glad the sylvari will offer something different, too, wanted to start one anyway so there's another reason to do so :)

Because the theme of the Charr is about blood, fear, battle and fighting
a) so like humans, right?
b) how on earth has culture anything to do with visual looks?

Also keep in mind I didn't say I want Catgirls (hint: I don't), I'm just saying that argument is so made up it hurts. GW2's Anime microskirt and metal bra wearing boobie warrior princesses speak a completely different language than that spokesperson in the GW2 forums.

Boobs on Tauren, Worgen, and now Pandas in WoW always looked weird, and I was never able to come up with a good reason as to why they even had them, other than to try to give them the female "look".
Absolutely.

nataku

Who would have thunk!

" It shouldn’t matter if a female has breasts or not. But alas, in games of this day and age, boobs on a catgirl are still boobs on a catgirl. And for once in the laws of game design, I’d like the merit of a charr female not to be visually weighed on the size of her chest, but the size of her battle."

What? Way to completely miss the point of the Charr as a race.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Because the theme of the Charr is about blood, fear, battle and fighting, not looking cute or so stylized like their Human and Norn counterparts. The culture of the Charr is like that.

And yea, a Human or Norn female wouldn't look so fearful in a miniskirt but their theme isn't to be full like that. Each race have their theme and culture and if their clothes reflect that then its more faithful to their theme.
There are legitimate nuances at work, too. It makes absolutely perfect sense both in-world (ah, the avatars of Lyssa) and from a logistical standpoint for a human mesmer to be sexually appealing to other humans (and since most players will be human beings, to appear sexually attractive to our eyes). Norn on the other hand may appear attractive to us since they have much in common anatomically with humans, but culturally seem to care very little about this. Charr mesmers are probably dressed in a manner that is attractive to other Charr, but their entire race has a different set of aesthetics than ours does, and they value intimidation and ferocity above all else as a culture; it makes sense in multiple ways for them not to have overtly human sexual characteristics.

I can't imagine Asura females will be sexually appealing to us either. What really surprised me in that post was the fact that the Sylvari are apparently not gonna have your typically big RPG boobs, because despite their interesting lore, their appearance is sort of a standard opportunity to have a "sexy elf" race, and I hope they are legitimately subverting this.

I see, but I'd still call it "pseudo" simply because to me it sounds like an excuse, a made-up explanation after everything's done. I don't buy this to be an actual reason for anything one bit. Not interested in sexualizing things more? One glimpse at the starter outfits negates this point. Oh, and I tried to play around with the editor to do a non-boobie-maxed female character. If you tried too, you'd know how that looks like in GW2.

That said, I'm glad the sylvari will offer something different, too, wanted to start one anyway so there's another reason to do so :)
I quoted "psuedo-feminist" not because I believe what she's saying is legitimately feminist, but because it's neither feminist, psuedo-feminist, or non-feminist. It's instead prioritizing the vision they have for the race of the Charr instead of appealing to human sensibilities.

I'm disappointed that you can't make a non-huge-boob human female too, but as to the bolded, what I mean by "not more" was that plenty of design teams would take the anthropomorphized feline Charr as an opporunity to inject even more sexualization into the game, and it is refreshing to see a conscious decision not to do so.

mbmonk

pjkpP.jpg

I've been seriously contemplating getting this as I hate modifiers. I've read really good things about the Logitech G13 and might spring for one, do you find it easier on the hands and the thumb movement tough to get use to or does it all kind of "flow" after a while. I have the Naga mouse and love it!

I have owned both an N52 ( original model, not the te ) and a G13. Neither one of them felt comfortable to my hand. Though my brother swears by the N52. Regardless, I appreciate the advice. I wish they worked for me. I just never could get used to them.

Kimaka

I shouldn't have played the beta. The wait for release is going to be unbearable now after experiencing it.

What I would like to see in the future that I haven't seen mentioned:

1. An AFK command
2. A UI button for switching between weapon sets on Elementalists. I understand why they limited us to one weapon in combat since we can rotate between four elements but a way to do so out of combat would be nice. I found myself switching constantly between weapon sets depending on what I was planning on engaging with.
3. Different colors in the general chat for NPCs and Players
4. A 'Say' chat like in WoW to speak with players around your location
5. A way to turn on/off the new message sound. That was so annoying
6. They need to make the message of receiving a new skill point more noticeable. The only time I noticed was when I either checked the map or got a tool tip message about spending the points.

ShaneB

My only problem with the races, is the lack of any variety really. I guess that's a fairly major problem given that race should be pretty unique.

I really don't see Norn as anything other than big humans, Charr definitely are unique, same with Asura, and I haven't read much about Sylvari, but I guess they're the sort of "Night Elf"-esque race?

Compare that to all the races in something like WoW, or "insert your favourite MMO here" and it just feels limited compared to the rest of the game. I guess it comes down to things like wanting to give each race a city (and god they're massive), but still, you could just have races share homes, etc etc.

But what do I know?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
My only problem with the races, is the lack of any variety really. I guess that's a fairly major problem given that race should be pretty unique.

I really don't see Norn as anything other than big humans, Charr definitely are unique, same with Asura, and I haven't read much about Sylvari, but I guess they're the sort of "Night Elf"-esque race?

Compare that to all the races in something like WoW, or "insert your favourite MMO here" and it just feels limited compared to the rest of the game. I guess it comes down to things like wanting to give each race a city (and god they're massive), but still, you could just have races share homes, etc etc.

But what do I know?

I think race choice should make much more of a difference in terms of gameplay. I'm not saying "race x should be the only one to be class y", but I think they need some kind of advantages and disadvantages to make race choices matter, since there is no PVP around this or anything.

That said, the races in GW2 look far more unique to me (from a visual perspective) than in pretty much ever other MMO around, so I don't really get the WoW comparison here.

froliq

Since there's alot of talk about controls now. Is there any word on if there will be modifiers like shift, alt and ctrl?

Switching attunements on the elmentalist with the F keys felt so weird.

But what do I know?

Their plants, not elfish at all. They grow from seeds in a giant tree. They may fill that fantasy gap of where elves normally sit, but I really don't see them as elves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTKh7x_qBso

Vano

There are legitimate nuances at work, too. It makes absolutely perfect sense both in-world (ah, the avatars of Lyssa) and from a logistical standpoint for a human mesmer to be sexually appealing to other humans (and since most players will be human beings, to appear sexually attractive to our eyes). Norn on the other hand may appear attractive to us since they have much in common anatomically with humans, but culturally seem to care very little about this. Charr mesmers are probably dressed in a manner that is attractive to other Charr, but their entire race has a different set of aesthetics than ours does, and they value intimidation and ferocity above all else as a culture; it makes sense in multiple ways for them not to have overtly human sexual characteristics.

I can't imagine Asura females will be sexually appealing to us either. What really surprised me in that post was the fact that the Sylvari are apparently not gonna have your typically big RPG boobs, because despite their interesting lore, their appearance is sort of a standard opportunity to have a "sexy elf" race, and I hope they are legitimately subverting this.

I quoted "psuedo-feminist" not because I believe what she's saying is legitimately feminist, but because it's neither feminist, psuedo-feminist, or non-feminist. It's instead prioritizing the vision they have for the race of the Charr instead of appealing to human sensibilities.

I'm disappointed that you can't make a non-huge-boob human female too, but as to the bolded, what I mean by "not more" was that plenty of design teams would take the anthropomorphized feline Charr as an opporunity to inject even more sexualization into the game, and it is refreshing to see a conscious decision not to do so.

Agree with you. All goes with the theme, situation, culture and lore of the Races to make their clothes and physical appearance right.

I shouldn't have played the beta. The wait for release is going to be unbearable now after experiencing it.

What I would like to see in the future that I haven't seen mentioned:

1. An AFK command
2. A UI button for switching between weapon sets on Elementalists. I understand why they limited us to one weapon in combat since we can rotate between four elements but a way to do so out of combat would be nice. I found myself switching constantly between weapon sets depending on what I was planning on engaging with.
3. Different colors in the general chat for NPCs and Players
4. A 'Say' chat like in WoW to speak with players around your location
5. A way to turn on/off the new message sound. That was so annoying
6. They need to make the message of receiving a new skill point more noticeable. The only time I noticed was when I either checked the map or got a tool tip message about spending the points.

I agree with your points, the chat needs to be more codified with colors and signs to know more easy what is what and more noticeable and Chat bubbles could help to talk with people around you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

But what do I know?
I think the Charr, Asura, and Sylvari alone beat the cavalcade of Tolkien-trope races in WoW.

A little on the Sylvari that distinguishes them:
Sylvari emerge fully formed from golden fruit pods which grow on the branches of the Pale Tree. Their "gender" is selected by the Pale Tree prior to emergence and is distinguished by the same features as human genders;[4] while sylvari are able to and do have sex, it is not for reproduction as sylvari can only be born from the Pale Tree.[5] As they are all born from the Pale Tree they could be considered all of the same family. Their family bond might even be considered stronger than most species as they share a collective dream and are connected on a basic psychic level as well as the genetic level. It is unknown whether the sylvari die of old age as sylvari have only died through violence, poison or disease so far and no sylvari has shown signs of aging.
They have plenty in common with various typical elves but there's some weird unique stuff as well. Mostly we know very little about them so far though.

Vano

I think race choice should make much more of a difference in terms of gameplay. I'm not saying "race x should be the only one to be class y", but I think they need some kind of advantages and disadvantages to make race choices matter, since there is no PVP around this or anything.

That said, the races in GW2 look far more unique to me (from a visual perspective) than in pretty much ever other MMO around, so I don't really get the WoW comparison here.

Well, each race have their racial elite skills, so i guess we have that for now only.

I honestly hate when games do this. Why force someone to play a certain race if they want to play a certain class? I shouldn't have to roll a Charr Guardian because they get +5 sword damage or something if I really want to roll a human Guardian.

2San

I thought the G13 was interesting as well, but the analogue is just too far and a D-pad is better imo for WASD movement.

I found the N52te easier on the hands, the bump(of the palm rest) annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. For MMO's specifically I preferred over standard controls directly. Having 4 fingers free for skills is amazing. Still think the D-pad could've been better, but since it's relegated to WASD movement it works good enough.
uuhh... who would want to use that?
Anyone who plays wasd movement MMO's? Being able to move while still having 4 finger free for other stuff is pretty handy unless you are playing a click-to-walk game.

I have owned both an N52 ( original model, not the te ) and a G13. Neither one of them felt comfortable to my hand. Though my brother swears by the N52. Regardless, I appreciate the advice. I wish they worked for me. I just never could get used to them.
Ah that's understandable I guess(TE isn't that much better and some ways worse than the original). Wondering if it's because of different sized hands or something.

mbmonk

uuhh... who would want to use that?

To be honest, I would prefer it :).

For me personally I only use my thumb for hitting the spacebar on the keyboard when I am using WASD. If I could free up my three fingers that are normally used WASD control. Then in theory it would be more efficient. I would get more use from my thumb and free up my fingers for solely execution of spells/abilities.

At least that is how it all works in theory in my head. Never really seems to shake out in reality, for me at least. :)

I thought the G13 was interesting as well, but the analogue is just too far and a D-pad is better imo for WASD movement.

I found the N52te easier on the hands, the bump(of the palm rest) annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. For MMO's specifically I preferred over standard controls directly. Having 4 fingers free for skills is amazing. Still think the D-pad could've been better, but since it's relegated to WASD movement it works good enough.

Anyone who plays wasd movement MMO's? Being able to move while still having 4 finger free for other stuff is pretty handy unless you are playing a click-to-walk game.

I had the same issue with the G13.

I remember the N52 sliding around on my desk to much when playing FPS's. Maybe I was using to much force in pressing the buttons :).

I think race choice should make much more of a difference in terms of gameplay

They do, actually.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Playable_races

Racial skills
While character's race has most effect on appearance and story, players are also given access to several racial skills. These skills give each race some of their iconic racial abilities, although weaker than their profession-provided equivalents.

Example: Charr racials are three Utility (Battle Roar, Hidden Pistol, Shrapnel Mine), three Elite (Artillery Barrage, Charrzooka, Warband Support). In contrast, the Norn are quite different, with two Utility (Call Owl, Call Wurm) and four Elite (Bear Form, Raven Form, Snow Leopoard Form, Wolf Form).

Racial sympathy
Each race also shows sympathy to other non-playable races, determined by the player as part of their personal storyline. The creatures that a player would show sympathy for are races that occupy areas near the character's starting area. For example, "a charr would have little opportunity to meet the peace-loving quaggan, as quaggan are sea-creatures and Ascalon has no coastal territory."

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly hate when games do this. Why force someone to play a certain race if they want to play a certain class? I shouldn't have to roll a Charr Guardian because they get +5 sword damage or something if I really want to roll a human Guardian.

That's exactly what I don't like, too :) I'd go with the racial skills and stuff, give people bonuses for choosing a class, not disadvantages. In GW2's case I could imagine race specific weapons with additional skills and stuff, not limiting but expanding the skillset.

edit: Oh cool, didn't know about those things! Nice! (Next time, please tell me this somewhere in the character editor, Arenanet!)

Proven

Quick post about the Jon Peters stuff:

He pretty much is nailing all the combat problems. Looking back, I notice there were more skills on the Ele for dodging than I thought, so I didn't give them enough credit. Unfortunately, a number of them were on 4/5 instead of 2/3. I shouldn't have picked Ele for my first foray after all. For Ranger, their dodge skills are cool, but they need space to use them. If there's a wall, you'll roll right into the wall and still get hit. If there's an AoE...

On WvW, what I found cool about WvW was that outside of wall fights, it wasn't very hard to have a lot of smaller group battles here and there if you took your band of friends and went to flank from an angle. You just need to be prepared to run. When it becomes a series of smaller battles, it's much easier to jump into melee range and jump out.

Here are some small skirmish WvW videos that I don't think got posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy1Z1lp9y2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ADWAxgPjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoResabe3QE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxW83rwhr3E

Also, you have to keep the auto-turn for attacking when not on mouselook. Any time my FPS dipped I'd use that to keep me orientated so I wouldn't dodge or blink in the wrong direction. So useful.

Edit: And if you looked at "keyboard controls" image they had on one of the beta pages they reveal that there's an /afk chat command.

2San

I remember the N52 sliding around on my desk to much. Maybe I was using to much force in pressing the buttons :).
Don't have the sliding issue myself. N52(te) might have a too specific design so it doesn't resonate with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom