• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Charr is suffering from a serious case of Orc Shoulders (aka. Lou Garrosh's Disease). He needs to see a chiropractor as soon as possible.

Charr in general really seem to have this going on. I seem to recall seeing Charr guardian armor that had a similar oversized spike motif, but I'm not sure where at the moment.

NeededSleep

Speaking of this. Is it possible to use transmutation stones on town clothes and armor? Would you be able to use the top hat skin for armor?

I actually wanted to do this, because, well its a freaking Top hat. How great would it be to see this:

"Dammit someone in a Top Hat just killed me, everyone go after the guy with the top hat!

Didn't get that far with experimenting with transmutation stones though. But i would guess no, not at this point.

birdchili

Feel free to lump me in with the Kool-aid drinkers, without even playing it I already know this is going to be my major gaming focus for the next couple of years at least.

you can love it to death and still be critical though (i'm *most* critical of the games i love (i tend to play them the most, for some reason)).

it's beta. you can make the release game even better by zeroing in on the fixable problems.

Retro

Something like that.

Drop that bass like the Department of Fish and Game just pulled up on your campsite and you don't have a license because there was nobody working in the Sporting Goods department at Walmart as usual and you had already started in on the beef jerky and beer on the drive over and the shocks in your pickup truck are going out so that shook everything up in your stomach and it wasn't sitting well and you need to get out of the store because Walmart has the most disgusting toilets and there's a nice bar and grill across the street you can pretend you're dropping into for a beer at the bar when you're really just going to use the restrooms because they have TVs in them, which is just an awesome idea but you're always worried you're gonna sit there too long and get piles, but you can't help it because hey, what man doesn't love sitting on the john watching baseball, it's like every man's fantasy, like watching two girls go at it at the same time, unless they're unattractive, like this one time I was on a cross-country flight and I could swear the two women in front of me were really into each other but one of them looked like a shaggy dog.

Or something like that.

How great would it be to see this: "Dammit someone in a Top Hat just killed me, everyone go after the guy with the top hat!

I'm personally hoping the customization options really go out there and you can use them to stand out from a crowd in WvW. We won't have names to go by, but it would still be cool to have ways to stand out in the crowd. Like I would LOVE to have a Sashimono with our Guild Symbol on it. Even cooler if they're automatically applied to Squad Leaders.

Retro

Still hoping for a top hat and monocle combo. This on my Asura Engineer is a must.

This... actually makes me want to make my Engineer an Asura now. A diminutive gentleman of exquisite taste, armed with a Flamethrower... yeah, I can see that being a blast.

DJIzana

I really want to know more about that Mobile App that's in progress for Guild Wars 2. We haven't heard much about it for a couple of years. >_<

Ashodin

19277954.jpg

SOON...

Jira

Retro

I really want to know more about that Mobile App that's in progress for Guild Wars 2. We haven't heard much about it for a couple of years. >_<

I was just thinking about this today, actually. If they can deliver member tracking, Chat, mobile Trading Post / Marketplace / Mail, I'll be happy.

Add a built-in authenticator and I'll be ecstatic.

Add in the ability to see what events are going on in each zone or the status of fortresses in WvW (hopefully with notifications when they're under attack) and it's worth whatever they want to charge for it.

Complistic

Little while back they didn't give any more details but they did still say there had people working on it.

Retro

So is there a slim chance of getting the mobile app on launch day? That would just be amazing. I will live on this game.

I can see that as a possibility, though perhaps not with all of the features enabled. If there's an authenticator built into it, I should certainly hope so.

Looking forward to getting notifications at 3AM that some rotten bastard is trying to assault a fortress GAF captured earlier, so I can log on to stomp them.

Retro

do we know what the scope of the public beta will cover?

So far all we know is that it will cover only the Charr, Human and Norn races and will include Lion's Arch (which wasn't in previous tests). WvW and Competitive PVP are in. I would be surprised if we can level much higher than level 30 or so, however. Previous tests let you kick your character up to 30 to try the Ascalon Catacombs, but this was likely just for the Press.

Ashodin

do we know what the scope of the public beta will cover?

It's all in the OP. Everything from previous Closed Beta + Lion's Arch.

There will also be skill ability tweaks, as always.

I just want OFFICIAL PATCH NOTES. I love reading those, they are part and parcel to enjoying an MMO.

Catching up on the GAF GW2 Podcasts while the new one processes. Good job on these guys, I know how awkward Skype podcasting is so the pauses don't bother me much. The info is really good too.

Retro

Catching up on the GAF GW2 Podcasts while the new one processes. Good job on these guys, I know how awkward Skype podcasting is so the pauses don't bother me much. The info is really good too.

Thanks. I was a little hesitant at first (I don't like hearing my own voice, one of the reasons I don't talk much in the first two videos), but they've turned out to be a ton of fun. There have been some discussions about continuing them after launch, to kind of serve as a "This week in GW2 GAF" thing where we talk about goings-on in the guild, post funny stuff like videos or chat quotes, etc. Just as a community-building thing, which will be a nice way to get some extra info out to non-GAFers who might join up.

That reminds me, in case anyone wants to give these a listen, here's the links:

Episode I - The Phantom Menace March Beta
Episode II - Pre-Pre-Purchase

Ashodin

...I had to tuck down my erection thinking about that concept. I ain't ashamed.

It will be similar to rocketing into a battlefield and getting status updates from the GAF commander who will tell you X is going on here, and we need help there. It'll be amazing.

Retro

ncx3A.gif

...I had to tuck down my erection thinking about that concept.

It will be similar to rocketing into a battlefield and getting status updates from the GAF commander who will tell you X is going on here, and we need help there. It'll be amazing.

With the global community GAF has and the fact that so many of us are night owls, GAF will probably be tearing up WvW 24/7. Hell, we already have 94 members and the game doesn't even have a release date yet. I dunno if we'll be a force to be reckoned with, but we'll certain have a presence.

Retro

I am very excited about this game.

Clearly. Everyone be sure to avoid drinking from the punchbowl of hype Kool-aid Boogy was standing near.

I hope it's no later than Wednesday.

There's already some exciting changes happening to the website. It might be tonight, honestly. Jira mentioned in Steam chat that the client for the last closed Beta went out about 9-10 Pacific (that's 12-1am Eastern).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oh shit, dudes! Kintaro's got us all figured out! Put away your hype, I guess. Apparently GW2 is just another WoW clone and TERA is the true revolution. :(

Holy shit. Hilarious that it made it over here. I was not talking about GW2 specifically besides the point in the first part (which, if you don't realize that there WILL be players bitching about dungeons being scaled to your level over and over whether they are on this forum or some other one, you're delusional). There are other MMOs which have scaled dungeons and players just shrug them off.

Did you completely miss the overall point of the post? MMO players ARE afraid of change and ARE afraid of trying something different. Especially after WoW.

For the record, I've barely gotten to play Tera since my SSDs were bad and the shit BSoD' every time I played any game, so I can't even TALK about Tera or how good it is. Just like I can't talk too much about this game because I haven't tried it yet. Am I hyped? A bit, but it's tempered. Why? GAF overhype is a real problem on these boards. When people claim that it will innovate every aspect of an MMO, one can't help but temper it.

Will there be MMO players who bitch about GW2 as well and say it's just another coat of paint of WoW regardless if its true or not? Hell fucking yes.

My goodness.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Holy shit. Hilarious that it made it over here. I was not talking about GW2 specifically besides the point in the first part (which, if you don't realize that there WILL be players bitching about dungeons being scaled to your level over and over whether they are on this forum or some other one, you're delusional). There are other MMOs which have scaled dungeons and players just shrug them off.

Did you completely miss the overall point of the post? MMO players ARE afraid of change and ARE afraid of trying something different. Especially after WoW.

For the record, I've barely gotten to play Tera since my SSDs were bad and the shit BSoD' every time I played any game, so I can't even TALK about Tera or how good it is. Just like I can't talk too much about this game because I haven't tried it yet. Am I hyped? A bit, but it's tempered. Why? GAF overhype is a real problem on these boards. When people claim that it will innovate every aspect of an MMO, one can't help but temper it.

Will there be MMO players who bitch about GW2 as well and say it's just another coat of paint of WoW regardless if its true or not? Hell fucking yes.

My goodness.

Except I wasn't overhyping and I was saying from what I've played.

Jira

Old client is working again from what people are saying, they said it deletes the old .dat and redownloads along with giving you the new launcher.

Symphonic

My goodness.

I am an MMO player and I am not. Stop generalizing thousands of people and claiming it's solid proof towards anything.

Retro

MMO players ARE afraid of change and ARE afraid of trying something different. Especially after WoW.

Way to generalize. Everyone I know is sick to death of the current stable of MMOs.

SWTOR seems to have been the final nail in the DIKU-clone coffin as it had the most potential and hype to be different and ended up as "WoW in Space". People seem to be getting sick of the "This time it will be different" crap, which is why I'm not surprised that everyone seems to be so skeptical of Guild Wars 2, even after years of getting happily jumping on-board the hype-train for stuff like Aion and Rift.

Will they be wrong? Based on the ANet's past performance and a multitude of videos, beta impressions and reviews, all signs point to yes. We'll be able to confirm for ourselves this weekend, but that's just gonna be GAF drinking the hype Kool-aid as usual, right?

Kintaro

Will they be wrong? Based on the ANet's past performance and a multitude of videos, beta impressions and reviews, all signs point to yes. We'll be able to confirm for ourselves this weekend, but that's just gonna be GAF drinking the hype Kool-aid as usual, right?

Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, I found a pretty good preview for the game on PC Gamer. I felt he went over the highs and lows of how he felt playing pretty well. It paints a good picture for me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, I found a pretty good preview for the game on PC Gamer. I felt he went over the highs and lows of how he felt playing pretty well. It paints a good picture for me.

That leads to Screwattack. Did you accidentally mislink? Also, there's one over at Gamesradar that was really good.

Thoraxes

SWTOR seems to have been the final nail in the DIKU-clone coffin as it had the most potential and hype to be different and ended up as "WoW in Space". People seem to be getting sick of the "This time it will be different" crap, which is why I'm not surprised that everyone seems to be so skeptical of Guild Wars 2, even after years of getting happily jumping on-board the hype-train for stuff like Aion and Rift

I rev up my hype engine anytime a promising MMO looks to be coming out.

And all of my hype is here for GW2. I watch new videos and listen to podcasts on my trainride home every day in anticipation.

Also I trust ArenaNet more than Bioware.

Umi88

so... seems that beta client is downloading the files for the BWE event :p, first it stayed with an error for me.. but now is working

I didn't see what was so offensive about Kintaro's post, tbh. He's right, from my experience, a lot of MMO players whine saying they want something more, but in reality they just want to grind out the same dungeons for minor loot upgrades until the next content patch where they can whine about having to grind out more dungeons (but still do so willingly).

I hope that the dungeons in Guild Wars 2 are more along the lines of something like Left 4 Dead campaigns where even though you are running the same campaign/dungeon over and over again, there is enough variation (in gameplay, setpieces, dynamic events, multiple paths, players/professions makeup, etc) that makes each runthrough fun. Regardless of what reward is at the end.

I didnt, and I assume most L4D players, didn't run through No Mercy over and over because we wanted to get a chance at some piece of loot at the end (or accomplish some achievement). Yet thats seemingly why the typical MMOer who grew up on WoW and WoW-clones run dungeons. I find it sad that so many players just run through raids/dungeons to squeeze out rewards; the actual gameplay became stale, boring, whatever long before they get that last piece of gear....yet thats exactly what so many MMO players seem to like. Its easy. Its familiar, and its "rewarding" to them.

However all that said, I don't think GW2 is going for that type of player. Some concessions were made to ease that type of player into the game (leveling to 80, rather than 20. I think at one point a dev even said that they had thought about having no levels at all), but a lot of the game design is based around being able to play with anyone at anytime and still have an enjoyable experience without that enjoyment being solely derived from carrot on the stick loot-grind bullshittery.

Scaling player levels is one way to achieve this (and one very important way), so is free server hopping, automatic grouping, no subscription fee. But those are all ways of making the connection. That last part is designing the instances to be enjoyable on their own, repeatable on their own, without some external rewards factor driving desirability (gear, loot, cosmetic items) of playing the instance. Removing the trinity should by default open up a lot of the gameplay in these instances which should at a base allow each runthrough be a little different and not so rote learned dance-stepping.

I have not watched many videos of playthroughs of that level 30 dungeon that was in the press betas, so I don't know how well this is implemented. By the sounds of it, from the various comments made by Anet over the years, it does seem like Anet has taken care to create a varied experience within the dungeons. Hopefully this translates into the same type of replayability that L4D's AI director allows for in that game.

Maybe this will require a different kind of gamer than who normally plays MMOs, but I don't think that will be a bad thing at all. As long as Arenanet is able to reach that audience, and as long as the game is able to fulfill that need from that audience, I couldn't give two shits what the typical gear grind raid or die MMO player is used to, or faux-whines about.

tl;dr

I hope that when GW2 launches when someone says "Anyone want to run Dungeon A?" instead of saying "Ya, cause I need that damn pair of boots that drops there" or "Hell no, I got all my cosmetics from there I am done with doing that over and over" people will say "Sure, that sounds like fun".

Kintaro

No. Thank YOU!

Also, have you read my preview on RPG Site?

Nah, link me please if you don't mind.

That was a good, albeit awkward Gamesradar preview (I hate the structure of that site). I will say one thing, I want to kill big baddies and not really give a fuck about the equipment of my character. From what I'm reading, IF the player base can embrace that, that alone will make the game completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom