• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

falastini

I tried prepurchasing on the website last weekend and got error messages. I haven't tried since, but I have exams next week. Its probably for the best to reduce temptation.

Negaiido

If people can download/install the client with the old beta client then it confuses me why Anet doesn't release the official current game client.

So I'm upgrading my PC and hopefully my girl buys a few parts so I can use my leftover stuff to build her a PC. She'll love this game if I can just get a damned PC up and running for her!

Jira

Thanks for the blog, I also read the one featuring dyes. I already knew this, but this game is going to be amazing. I love the dye system (I take it that there are still going to be rare dyes that will be hard to acquire, at least I hope).

Yep, no doubt about that.

mrNTE

Downloading a torrented older version of the previous beta client that is auto patching itself.
This is a better source for the launcher then any torrent. Launcher is only 9MB.

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/pV...4AhkjAVCp0IUp3ptvHlENECYbMWlJ49hwCn1J/Gw2.zip

It's the old client link, and when you launch it it'll look like the old launcher, but it'll download about 10 MB in new assets then relaunch as the new launcher and tell you about the upcoming BWE as it downloads GW2 for you.

Arksy

What does 73 builds really mean though? Isn't it just a meaningless number correlating to the build released for last beta?

Torraz

Aaah! Please tell me I don't have to redownload the client.

In downloaded the zipped gw2.exe client and updated it to the full version. It never ran an installer etc, but I was able to get to the login screen.

But when I just tried to rerun the file it was the old version again, is it because I did not extract the file before I ran it? Any way to retrieve those files or do I have to redownload it all?

Jira

What does 73 builds really mean though? Isn't it just a meaningless number correlating to the build released for last beta?

It's merely an observation, in comparison they had about 120 or so builds between the CBT3 and the stress test in 3 weeks time. It just shows that they really do put out builds like candy as they have said they do.

Hey guys I´m also looking forward to GW2, pre-purchased the game like one week ago. I do have a question... is there a way to see my GW2 account status? I went to the games main website but theres nothing there to put your username and password.

And I didnt have the chance to link my GW1 account : / guess Ill have to do it before release somehow. Thanks.

Jira

Hey guys I´m also looking forward to GW2, pre-purchased the game like one week ago. I do have a question... is there a way to see my GW2 account status? I went to the games main website but theres nothing there to put your username and password.

And I didnt have the chance to link my GW1 account : / guess Ill have to do it before release somehow. Thanks.

https://account.guildwars2.com/login

Go there and see if you can login.

https://account.guildwars2.com/login

Go there and see if you can login.

It seems like the site is working pretty well right now. Was able to go all through the forum part(nothing to see) and everything. Makes me think the client could start rolling out at 3est for a nice round 72 hours to get the client before the beta. Though the site could have been working just fine for longer, this was the first time I had tried looking around today.

Xyber

You link GW2 to your GW1 account when you put in your cd-key on http://register.guildwars2.com

Jira

I did, I did! But then really nothing happened.

I think my hype is getting to me lol!

What you're feeling isn't hype, hype happens when you say see a movie trailer that looks awesome but when you see the movie it's anything but. That's underdelievering and a lot of false promises. I can tell you with 100% certainty that ANet has implemented every single thing that they have talked about, there's no lies and false promises. What you're feeling is knowing that for once someone isn't blowing smoke up your ass. I know a lot of people are jaded with MMOs and rightfully so to the point where it's become the boy who's cried wolf, but this time the wolf is there and he's REALLY fucking hungry.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Also anyone else like the new Chroma Hash thing next to password on the login screen?
I've never heard of a chroma hash before this. I did a quick search, and it seems like a novel idea on the surface. Does anyone who has the new client want to conduct an experiment with me?

It doesn't matter what your account name is, but type in "neogaf" as the password. Does it give you these colors?
8hxem.png

Next, try "guildwars2". Do you get these colors?
mpRP2.png

I don't think this should be an issue, but your colors should be different from my colors. If they aren't I think we might have a big security issue here. If the colors are the same, couldn't I theoretically catch someone typing in their password on a stream, and try characters so that the colors match at every individual character? I can elaborate further, but to not waste time, it would be really cool if someone tried this! Thanks!

Jira

I hope so chemlove, my heart has been broken too many times!

I know, but this time it's not going to happen and you'll find out in a few short days.

I've never heard of a chroma hash before this. I did a quick search, and it seems like a novel idea on the surface. Does anyone who has the new client want to conduct an experiment with me?

It doesn't matter what your account name is, but type in "neogaf" as the password. Does it give you these colors?
8hxem.png

mpRP2.png

I don't think this should be an issue, but your colors should be different from my colors. If they aren't I think we might have a big security issue here. If the colors are the same, couldn't I theoretically catch someone typing in their password on a stream, and try characters so that the colors match at every individual character? I can elaborate further, but to not waste time, it would be really cool if someone tried this! Thanks!

It's not a security issue, this has already been brought up on other forums.

Say for example your password was abc123 and the hash was red blue green, well someone else's hash could be red blue green as well, but their password is 123abc. The point being just because your color is the same doesn't mean your password is. You know what your password is and what's the correct hash color, but it's not possible to know what someone's' password is just looking at the color combo. More info here:

http://mattt.me/2009/11/chroma-hash-revisited/

Pat

For an unknown reason, it installed the game in french... I don't want to download all the files again, anyone knows if I'll be able to change it in the options?

Jira

For an unknown reason, it installed the game in french... I don't want to download all the files again, anyone knows if I'll be able to change it in the options?

Aren't there icons on the top right of the launcher that allows you to change languages?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It's not a security issue, this has already been brought up on other forums.

Say for example your password was abc123 and the hash was red blue green, well someone else's hash could be red blue green as well, but their password is 123abc. The point being just because your color is the same doesn't mean your password is. You know what your password is and what's the correct hash color, but it's not possible to know what someone's' password is just looking at the color combo. More info here:

http://mattt.me/2009/11/chroma-hash-revisited/
Has there been a definitive agreement on its specific implementation in GW2 though? If there is, could you please link it, so we don't retread old topics?

The problem I see here, which is not outlined by your link, is that the hash changes colors in real time. So, even though the amount of collisions would be high for the final product, at each individual character, there would not be many collisions. If there are say, 5 collisions for the first character, you've already narrowed down the possibilities to 5, rather than 36 (alphanumerical) characters. Plus, the article asserts that it would be very hard to decipher the first couple of characters in greyscale, but GW2 does not start with greyscale.

Retro

Nope. Learn french, aussi vite que vous le pouvez.

Aren't there icons on the top right of the launcher that allows you to change languages?
Ou vous pouvez simplement le faire à la place.
wHe21.gif

I'm so bored

Jira

Has there been a definitive agreement on its specific implementation in GW2 though? If there is, could you please link it, so we don't retread old topics?

The problem I see here, which is not outlined by your link, is that the hash changes colors in real time. So, even though the amount of collisions would be high for the final product, at each individual character, there would not be many collisions. If there are say, 5 collisions for the first character, you've already narrowed down the possibilities to 5, rather than 36 (alphanumerical) characters. Plus, the article asserts that it would be very hard to decipher the first couple of characters in greyscale, but GW2 does not start with greyscale.

Can't say I know much about the system beyond that and from what I've read from other people who know far more about it. The consensus is that the pros outweigh the cons and the security issues are no higher than if someone were standing over your shoulder watching you type your PW. From a remote standpoint, anyone who could see your chroma hash would probably already have keylogged you making it pointless.

Also, I just read this:

"They have partially addressed this issue in the new client. Instead of before, where the chroma hash updated instantly based on what was in the login, the chroma hash now has a slight update delay.

This means that if you're familiar with your password and entering it within a decent time frame (appears to be about a 1 second delay between updates or so), the chroma hash will no longer offer the same security flaw it did there."

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can't say I know much about the system beyond that and from what I've read from other people who know far more about it. The consensus is that the pros outweigh the cons and the security issues are no higher than if someone were standing over your shoulder watching you type your PW. From a remote standpoint, anyone who could see your chroma hash would probably already have keylogged you making it pointless.
Yeah, the only danger is careless streaming. You'd always have to make sure you're already logged in before starting, and then if the game ever crashes, you'd have to hide your stream. I know not everyone will remember or know to do this, unfortunately putting them in danger. Just seems like an unnecessary risk for "nifty" eyecandy. I mean, do we really need to verify our password before pressing enter? If you messed up your own password like 5 times in a row and got locked out, then that's your mistake. It doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to accommodate this.

Edit: Yeah, I noticed the delay, but I wasn't sure if it was a clear rendering delay, or if it was because it was shifting quickly to catch up after starting slow. The latter could be worked around by just slowing down the footage.

Jira

Yeah, the only danger is careless streaming. You'd always have to make sure you're already logged in before starting, and then if the game ever crashes, you'd have to hide your stream. I know not everyone will remember or know to do this, unfortunately putting them in danger. Just seems like an unnecessary risk for "nifty" eyecandy. I mean, do we really need to verify our password before pressing enter? If you messed up your own password like 5 times in a row and got locked out, then that's your mistake. It doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to accommodate this.

Edit: Yeah, I noticed the delay, but I wasn't sure if it was a clear rendering delay, or if it was because it was shifting quickly to catch up after starting slow. The latter could be worked around by just slowing down the footage.

The addition of an authenticator will further nullify the issue of anyone having your password as well.

mrNTE

I got the same colours as you for the two passwords.

Edit: NM While reading further down, I see that Jira made an excellent post about this.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I got the same colours as you for the two passwords.

Edit: NM While reading further down, I see that Jira made an excellent post about this.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm still not fully convinced about how worth it this whole system is, but if the delay is a true delay, then I suppose it's nothing to worry about. Just don't stream and type slowly!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Do you guys know if there'll be more betas that will be for pre-purchase people only, and if it'll still be possible to prepurchase after this weekend or if they'll shut the gates? I won't be around this weekend :)'() So I haven't pre-purchased yet, but if another beta-weekend is announced later with no more pre-purchase available because too many people have it already, I'll bite my ass for not buying it earlier...

If you go to the guildwars2 forums the announcement is up there with a link for the client.

Edit:looks like it directs you to the same link that was mentioned earlier. So that link is now official. Just no email yet.

Edit2:Aaaand it's down. Wish I would have taken screen shots. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom