• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played Diablo 3, but if it's anything like Diablo 2 (i.e. Clickfest) then no, it's no where near as boring as Diablo.

Compared to standard MMO fare GW2 is quite different. There aren't a billion action bars to manage; there are only 5 attacks (pre-determined by your weapon), the first with no cooldown and the other 4 more utilitarian with short cooldowns. Then you have 1 heal, 3 utility skills and 1 'elite' skill set to 6-0 slots.

Learning to dodge, swap weapons and keep tabs on enemy telegraphs / environmental hazards / what other players are doing is essential to success. Running up to an enemy and spamming attack will get you killed quick, even in the starting areas.

Thanks. Sounds good, sounds like it has more depth than D3 even if the combat won't be as fluid and smooth the depth should make up for it. I'm gonna blind-buy it

Retro

Thanks. Sounds good, sounds like it has more depth than D3 even if the combat won't be as fluid and smooth the depth should make up for it. I'm gonna blind-buy it

If you pre-purchase (not just pre-order, though amazon was apparently giving out keys for pre-orders so YMMV) it before tomorrow, you should (SHOULD, not 100% sure) be able to get into the stress test and play for a few hours.

Mulligan

Banned
Oh, I see.
There will be utter silence that day. Where is this June 28th announcement date coming from? Just a random guess? Or just because it is the day after the stress test?

I agree with you totally.

The date comes from the jerseys from the Anet offices that are numbered 28-6-12. They've denied that the numbers hold any relevance at all and are just coincidence, but a lot of people are convinced otherwise.

Another factor is that GW1 has an annual ''Dragon Festival'' with events starting at 12 noon on Thursday June 28 2012. Seeing as GW2 is very dragon themed and was advertised as releasing in ' the year of the dragon', people are putting two and two together.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The date comes from the jerseys from the Anet offices that are numbered 28-6-12. They've denied that the numbers hold any relevance at all and are just coincidence, but a lot of people are convinced otherwise.

Another factor is that GW1 has an annual ''Dragon Festival'' with events starting at 12 noon on Thursday June 28 2012. Seeing as GW2 is very dragon themed and was advertised as releasing in ' the year of the dragon', people are putting two and two together.

I think these kinds of speculations are people just drawing straws. It's almost ridiculous and I find anything remotely close to making a big financial decision up to these kinds of situations ludicrous. Sure it's fine if they just happen to coincide, other than that these kinds of things rarely happen.

Mulligan

Banned
I think these kinds of speculations are people just drawing straws. It's almost ridiculous and I find anything remotely close to making a big financial decision up to these kinds of situations ludicrous. Sure it's fine if they just happen to coincide, other than that these kinds of things rarely happen.

I agree to some extent, although i feel Anet is partly to blame for this with opening pre-purchase so early and still no release date in sight. My feelings are that they will use BWE3 to determine if a release date is ready to be announced, if not then we will have a BWE4.

kayos90

I agree to some extent, although i feel Anet is partly to blame for this with opening pre-purchase so early and still no release date in sight. My feelings are that they will use BWE3 to determine if a release date is ready to be announced, if not then we will have a BWE4.

They said this was coming out this year and people who bought it knew that there was no release date. If people have a gripe with ANet not having a release date, it's mostly their fault. They knew what they got into and if they're unhappy it means that they had certain expectations for ANet that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Yes, it's sort of "unfair" that ANet hasn't announced a release date but the fault goes out to the consumer who knowingly bought it when there was no set release date.

Mulligan

Banned
They said this was coming out this year and people who bought it knew that there was no release date. If people have a gripe with ANet not having a release date, it's mostly their fault. They knew what they got into and if they're unhappy it means that they had certain expectations for ANet that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Yes, it's sort of "unfair" that ANet hasn't announced a release date but the fault goes out to the consumer who knowingly bought it when there was no set release date.

I don't want to go into this again, but while i see your point it's still bad business on their part. Opening up pre-purchases with 'The wait is over!' in big letters on their website, people are going to assume that release is imminent especially those who havn't really been following development and you can't blame them for that. I don't think anyone thought we would still have not even a rough estimate of a release this far along after pre-purchase. People can say 'they said it would be somtime in 2012, so they havnt broken any rules' while this is true, it's still bad business for a company to take peoples money that far in advance with nothing much to show for it in terms of release date 2 months after. It's just unessecary and bad for their reputation.

kayos90

I don't want to go into this again, but while i see your point it's still bad business on their part. Opening up pre-purchases with 'The wait is over!' in big letters on their website, people are going to assume that release is imminent especially those who havn't really been following development and you can't blame them for that. I don't think anyone thought we would still have not even a rough estimate of a release this far along after pre-purchase. People can say 'they said it would be somtime in 2012, so they havnt broken any rules' while this is true, it's still bad business for a company to take peoples money that far in advance with nothing much to show for it in terms of release date 2 months after. It's just unessecary and bad for their reputation.

ANet has some fault, yes. However, it's mostly on the consumer's fault. They purchased a product. They should've known what they were getting themselves into. If you buy something and you didn't read the fine print then is that the company's fault? No. I understand the frustrations and such. I understand that this may seem like bad business practice. Honestly, I think it's perfectly fine, it's just that they haven't portrayed the information clearly. If that's where you think the problem is, then I agree. Otherwise, it's up to the consumer. Not the company.

Vinci

Danish
If ANet had taken our money and disappeared out of sight, then I could see getting upset. As it stands, we've had two rather great BWEs and a stress test (with another tomorrow). It is abundantly clear what people will be getting for their money as they have already had several opportunities to play it - and it's difficult to imagine anyone coming out of these tests feeling utterly disappointed or fearing the game will end up as vaporware.

So I don't see the problem. Their money hasn't been conned or taken from them with absolutely nothing given back in the meantime. Anyone getting angry over this, frankly, is just impatient.

If ANet had taken our money and disappeared out of sight, then I could see getting upset. As it stands, we've had two rather great BWEs and a stress test (with another tomorrow). It is abundantly clear what people will be getting for their money as they have already had several opportunities to play it - and it's difficult to imagine anyone coming out of these tests feeling utterly disappointed or fearing the game will end up as vaporware.

So I don't see the problem. Their money hasn't been conned or taken from them with absolutely nothing given back in the meantime. Anyone getting angry over this, frankly, is just impatient.

Agreed. The content displayed in the BWE's is pretty mind blowing. I am not worried about the release date, I just hope they take their time and make it as awesome as possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The only feeling I've experience regarding the parting of my money from my wallet is shock at the amount and quality of content they're clearly providing for $60 with no monthly fee.

Piecake

Hey Hawkian, are you still playing the game with a controller? Do you still feel like there is very little, if any negative impact with using it?

Im really interested in using a controller because I am not really a fan of the MMO keyboard/mouse set up (too many damn buttons), but while im not much of a pvper, I at least dont want to gimp myself by using the controller

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkian, are you still playing the game with a controller? Do you still feel like there is very little, if any negative impact with using it?

Im really interested in using a controller because I am not really a fan of the MMO keyboard/mouse set up (too many damn buttons), but while im not much of a pvper, I at least dont want to gimp myself by using the controller
Absolutely! Well "still playing" inasmuch as I used it almost exclusively for both BWEs.

Again, I can't vouch for it in serious competitive PvP; haven't tried it at all yet. But it works great, almost eerily natural for PvE and WvW. The only thing you need to adjust to is toggling between cursor and camera with the right stick. Once you get used to it after a while it becomes second-nature.

Piecake

Absolutely! Well "still playing" inasmuch as I used it almost exclusively for both BWEs.

Again, I can't vouch for it in serious competitive PvP; haven't tried it at all yet. But it works great, almost eerily natural for PvE and WvW. The only thing you need to adjust to is toggling between cursor and camera with the right stick. Once you get used to it after a while it becomes second-nature.

Awesome. Its going to be fun playing GW2 laying/sitting on my couch/chair! Im not a serious PvP player. So long as it works great in PvE and WvW, id imagine it will perfectly fine for me when I play PvP

Ill take a slight drop in performance (if there is any) for more fun any day of the week. And I know ill have more fun playing GW2 with a controller than a keyboard

Vinci

Danish

Might give this a try at some point in one of the upcoming BWEs just for the hell of it. Only MMO I've ever played with a controller was FF XI.

Question: How would you use Mumble with this? Have it activate at audio, or are you able to assign it a button?

oktarb

I was playing with a pad too. I toggle cursor and camera by holding the right bumper. Main problem I still encounter is that the cursor obviously isn't calibrated for stick control so it takes an extra second or two sometime to click on something.

Speaking of which, did you manage to reload/recreate your build/profile? I want to make sure I get everything set before the next BWE since you'll understandably be distracted once it starts again ;P Trying out the controller is my primary focal point for the next BWE.

Ashodin

KBM for lyfe!

I just can't imagine using the controller (actually I can), it would be so unseemly in true combat. Plus I love snap-turning with the mouse.

Absinthe

I too can vouch for this, and thanks to Hawkian for the writeup he provided. Played around 20+ hours of PVE with the controller and it works great. I do use the mouse on the maps because of the need for mouse wheel functionality, and when buying items sometimes.

Gameplay is much more comfortable sitting back in my chair then "hunched over" the M/KB, especially true for long periods of gaming.

Though I'm sure in PVP you will need the control that M/KB provide.

ANet has some fault, yes. However, it's mostly on the consumer's fault. They purchased a product. They should've known what they were getting themselves into. If you buy something and you didn't read the fine print then is that the company's fault? No. I understand the frustrations and such. I understand that this may seem like bad business practice. Honestly, I think it's perfectly fine, it's just that they haven't portrayed the information clearly. If that's where you think the problem is, then I agree. Otherwise, it's up to the consumer. Not the company.
I'm on this side of the fence. However, the thing I'm most worried about is early burnout, as in burning out on hype long before the game is released. To the point that when it finally does get a release date, people who might have been like "OMG! YES!" could now very well be more like "Cool. 'Bout time." and if it takes TOO long (ie. a Nov/Dec release), that could turn into "Meh, I'll still play, but it's just another game to kill time with to me now".

I'm not really talking about the type of people who are reading and contributing to this thread either, I'm talking about the ones who have only been swept up in the hype as it ebbs and flows in an upward direction. The more times those people get caught in that hype wave and don't see a date to pin themselves to remember and come back to want to check out the game at release, the harder it's going to be for ANet to capture them when release really does come. GW2 isn't some gaming enigma like Half Life 3, it needs to ride the hype wave into release to become the MMO juggernaut we all want it to be. I think ANet is about 5,000 feet from the Icarus zone, where the hype flies too high that it burns up and starts falling to the ground - you just can't sustain it forever and I hope they make a move real soon.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
KBM for lyfe!

I just can't imagine using the controller (actually I can), it would be so unseemly in true combat. Plus I love snap-turning with the mouse.

Left stick down = right click, Right Stick is mapped to mouse. Bam, flick the right stick for the same effect. Been doing it since WoW.

Also, I am taking off from work tomorrow to play the Stress Test. I'm an addict to a game that isn't even out.

Piecake

Downloaded the Guild Wars 1 free trial for the hell of it. So far, it is kinda fun, but seems like rather typical MMO fare (WoW, TOR, etc)

I really have no idea whats good class/attributes wise (dont really care too much since i only got 10 hours), so i just went with a ranger and then went mesmer for my secondary class.

I probably would like the combat better if I went with another class. Dont typically like the archer-pet dynamic, but for some reason i thought this time might be different, lol

Jira

Downloaded the Guild Wars 1 free trial for the hell of it. So far, it is kinda fun, but seems like rather typical MMO fare (WoW, TOR, etc)

I really have no idea whats good class/attributes wise (dont really care too much since i only got 10 hours), so i just went with a ranger and then went mesmer for my secondary class.

I probably would like the combat better if I went with another class. Dont typically like the archer-pet dynamic, but for some reason i thought this time might be different, lol

How do you want to play your ranger? More of a focus on your bow damage, pets, or more utility/buffs?

Piecake

How do you want to play your ranger? More of a focus on your bow damage, pets, or more utility/buffs?

Oh, I only have like 8 hours left of playtime so i dont think im gonig to get to a point where a build actually matters so im basically just going to go with whatever looks interesting.

Well, i do have one question. Should i be buying skills or just get them through questing?

Jira

Oh, I only have like 8 hours left of playtime so i dont think im gonig to get to a point where a build actually matters so im basically just going to go with whatever looks interesting.

Well, i do have one question. Should i be buying skills or just get them through questing?

I do believe the trial is Prophecies so you'll get a lot from doing secondary quests. Buying them requires a skill point(which you get each time you level and from some quests) and each time you buy a skill the cost increases to 1 plat (1,000 gold) max.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of which, did you manage to reload/recreate your build/profile? I want to make sure I get everything set before the next BWE since you'll understandably be distracted once it starts again ;P Trying out the controller is my primary focal point for the next BWE.
Tragically nothing was wrong with my profile- the free version of Total Game Control simply doesn't allow you to import them. I do have Welltall's xpadder profile on hand as well if anybody would find that useful.

J-Rzez

Pretty large patch, especially for one that probably isn't adding content as it's not a BWE. Will be interesting to see what it's all about. Little bummed that it's only 4 hours of test time. :(

Dunlop

Arg, why is the stress test so early, I figured being on the east coast I could have caught the end of it but alas no.

Wouldn't a better stress test be when the majority of people could actually log in?

:p

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Arg, why is the stress test so early, I figured being on the east coast I could have caught the end of it but alas no.

Wouldn't a better stress test be when the majority of people could actually log in?

:p

You could argue it is. Unless your planning to discount an entire continent.

Looking forward to finishing work early to stress test the fuck out of this game and have the first Euro 2012 semifinal game playing in the background.

Retro

Do you need to pre order to partipicate?

You'll need to Pre-purchase (pay in full), though Amazon was giving away codes to pre-orders. Nobody knows if they're still doing it, so YMMV. The only way to guarantee you get into pre-launch Beta events is to pre-purchase.

Tragically nothing was wrong with my profile- the free version of Total Game Control simply doesn't allow you to import them. I do have Welltall's xpadder profile on hand as well if anybody would find that useful.

I would find that very useful! I was so frustrated trying to figure out the TGC until I finally realized it wouldn't work without paying. Thanks a lot I look forward to this afternoon (taking off work early yay!)

I got to play once. I'm glad I did because I realized I liked the game but BWE2 was a wash. No access, kicked within 3 minutes if I did get in and locked up every time I tried WvW.

"Several opportunities" is quite a stretch IMO.

I don't believe it's going to be vaporware obviously, but I am starting to question my pre-purchase as I probably would have been able to use a coupon or gift card at that various sites I have in order to purchase it on launch day.

Retro

Two hours, 15 minutes.

Hype Get.

I got to play once. I'm glad I did because I realized I liked the game but BWE2 was a wash. No access, kicked within 3 minutes if I did get in and locked up every time I tried WvW.

"Several opportunities" is quite a stretch IMO.

That sucks, but your experience seems to be more of a fluke than anything. BWE2 ran perfectly fine for me, and I didn't hear widespread complaints mirroring yours. Hopefully whatever was wrong with it has been fixed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would find that very useful! I was so frustrated trying to figure out the TGC until I finally realized it wouldn't work without paying. Thanks a lot I look forward to this afternoon (taking off work early yay!)

Bazam!

Here's his description of the mappings:
CONTROLS:

Movement (Forward / Backward / Strafe) : Left Stick
Camera (Rotate / Tilt) : Right Stick
Camera Zoom : RB + Right Stick Up/Down
Fast Camera Rotate : LB + Right Stick Left/Right
Swim Up / Down : LB + Right Stick Up/Down
Class Mechanics (F1-F4) : D-Pad Up/Left/Right/Down
Jump : A
Interact : B
Weapon Skill 1 : X
Weapon Skill 2 : Y
Weapon Skill 3 : RB + X
Weapon Skill 4 : RB + Y
Weapon Skill 5 : RB + B
Healing Skill : RB + A
Utility Skill 1 : LB + X
Utility Skill 2 : LB + Y
Utility Skill 3 : LB + B
Elite Skill : LB + A
Weapon Switch / Drop Bundle : RB + LB (works by either holding RB and pressing LB, or viceversa)
Dodge : RT
Cycle Targets : LT
Autorun : RB + LT
Toggle Run / Walk : RB + Back
Sheathe Weapons : RB + Start
Menu / Close Dialog : Start
Map : Back
Map - Switch Layer : RB + Right Stick Up/Down
Map - Zoom : RB + D-Pad Up/Down

Toggle Pointer Mode : Click Right Stick (R3)
Move Pointer in Pointer Mode : Right Stick
Mouse Click (for menus) : Click Left Stick (L3)
For extensive mouse work i.e. inventory management, crafting, etc, switching back to the mouse is of course recommended.

NOTES:

Within Guild Wars 2 itself, bind X to Swim Down/Sit, C to Dodge, and Z to Sheathe Weapons, as all of these are unbound by default.

This is music to my ears and just confirmed my purchase.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They added one control tweak to the last build that seemed absolutely intended for gamepad users, it was almost bizarre. I forgot how they put it in the notes, but when you have no target selected and shoot a projectile, the way you're pointing your camera actually "aims" the shot. It's quite cool.

Ah, that makes sense. How does Welltall's differ from yours? Do I need different software?

nataku

They added one control tweak to the last build that seemed absolutely intended for gamepad users, it was almost bizarre. I forgot how they put it in the notes, but when you have no target selected and shoot a projectile, the way you're pointing your camera actually "aims" the shot. It's quite cool.

They might as well put a reticle in there and official controller support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom