• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
A little off topic, but I like Jira's avatar so much that I decided to make one for every profession.

Elementalist.png
Engineer.png
Guardian.png
Mesmer.png
Necromancer.png
Ranger.png
Thief.png
Warrior.png

Not pixel perfect, but I think they look good, yes? :)

Also available in their large, unedited forms:

They look amazing. I like your one the best, good work.

Nymerio

I lost a fair bit of hype after I know that D3 was coming so soon. Now that I'm a bit disappointed in D3 I'm back in full hype mode for Guild Wars 2 and I've pre-purchased. Can't wait for the beta!

demolitio

Ugh, must scrounge up some money for this game before the beta weekend. This is the one MMO that interests me due to no subscription fees and I loved Guild Wars 1 so I've been watching this one for a while. It isn't just following the same MMO formula with nothing unique so it's exciting to see videos on the differences. The addition of firearms has me a little excited so my Thief can be a wannabe pirate, lol.

I think not playing a lot of MMO's leads to even more excitement since it's still a fresh genre to me but the universe and art direction caught my eye the most. There's something so nice about coming from shooters and strategy games and trying something still relatively fresh thanks to the costs of other games. Not only is this a good game in its own merits, it's also a cheap game compared to new MMO's so it has an advantage there as well. One friend of mine is getting it for that reason alone. I just wish this was the norm for MMO's now with major expansions coming as paid packs but constant support still being included.

Now I just need to sell some PS3 games in time to download the beta before the weekend or just get money before the weekend period. I'm just glad it's next week and wasn't this weekend since I had surgery on Friday and can't lean forward to play games too much. Now that would've sucked, especially since I know I probably would have tried to play and failed anyway...lol

Will you let idiots like me in the guild? I need a mentor. :D

PewPewK

I have a test tomorrow in Computer Science that I need to be studying for, so logically, I'm trying to procrastinate as much as possible so here's two more avatars that I made since the last ones seemed to go over so well!

Logo.png
Logo-Text.png

Alex

I thought Tera was one of those games that was pretty in screenshots but pretty boring when I actually got in game. Just felt bland somehow. It's hard to describe why, it just does.

It looks good, but it doesn't look incredible or anything, the majority of the places I saw werent quite what I was expecting after the glamor shots. Lot of bad textures and big patches of empty. Most of the geometry is spent on characters.

But it's still easily one of the best looking MMOs, runs good too, very well optimized. I'm still shocked at just how bad SWTOR ran for a visually hohum game so I always feel like I need to qualify that.

The game itself is average at best, though, to me, I'll give it a better shake when it's cheap but it ain't getting box + fee from me. The half step combat between Hotkey and realtime is cool, but everything else is pretty standard KMMO slop with nothing new.

I hope for a lot more out of GW2. So many of the features I've seen on paper are things I've wanted for so long. Still need to play it first, obviously but I haven't had time for a beta weekend yet.

The Game

A little off topic, but I like Jira's avatar so much that I decided to make one for every profession.

Elementalist.png
Engineer.png
Guardian.png
Mesmer.png
Necromancer.png
Ranger.png
Thief.png
Warrior.png

Wow this are great, ill snatch the ranger one.

Koeta

Elementalist.png
Engineer.png
Guardian.png
Mesmer.png
Necromancer.png
Ranger.png
Thief.png
Warrior.png

Going to use the Mesmer ^^ ty

Retro

Hmm.... those GW2 avatars are making this the first time in forever that I've actually been considering replacing my Kid Dracula avatar that I've been using for... shit, 10 years now? But then how would you guys know my posts at a quick glance?

Oh, right, because I'm the only douche-nozzle who replies to 20 people at once.

"I want a axe-wielding, gun-slinging death-dealing stealth... wearing... lightning-throwing, bow-carrying, bitch-ass Guardian. I want it all."

Diapers were a nice touch too.

The addition of firearms has me a little excited so my Thief can be a wannabe pirate, lol.

There was a pirate costume in the cash shop leak too.

I'm just glad it's next week and wasn't this weekend since I had surgery on Friday and can't lean forward to play games too much.

The wording in your post and/or my hated for mornings might be confusing me, but just so we're clear, the Beta is this upcoming weekend. 4 Days, 6 hours and 22 minutes from this post.

Will you let idiots like me in the guild? I need a mentor. :D

Everyone is welcome in Gaming Age Force. Read the community thread over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467970. The only rules are No Drama, Vouch for non-GAFers you invite so we can make you pay if they turn out to be thieves, and don't expect family-friendly Guild chat.

Glad Diablo had an open beta this past weekend made it go by much faster. Now to wait the 4 days and some hours more.

I have a question, I feel it was brought up before but I can't remember and can't seem to find it. Cross server chat? I know you can play with people from other servers and be on multiple guilds and all but have they said there is any issue when it comes to talking to people on a different server? Like I said I thought this was brought up before but I had trouble finding it. I thought for some reason they said that you couldn't do it, which didn't make much sense to me.

I thought Tera was one of those games that was pretty in screenshots but pretty boring when I actually got in game. Just felt bland somehow. It's hard to describe why, it just does.

Yea Tera looks good overall I think, especially more you get into it, but the art style was not for me really. The whole game was extremely bland and the so called action game play just wasn't that actiony or made it feel majorly different from standard mmo styles. GW2 looks to be a far better option with some actual unique stuff. Visually don't know how well GW2 final will stack up, but visuals aren't everything. GW2's art style is much more pleasing than the randomness of Tera's

Yea Tera looks good overall I think, especially more you get into it, but the art style was not for me really. The whole game was extremely bland and the so called action game play just wasn't that actiony or made it feel majorly different from standard mmo styles. GW2 looks to be a far better option with some actual unique stuff. Visually don't know how well GW2 final will stack up, but visuals aren't everything. GW2's art style is much more pleasing than the randomness of Tera's

I swear the combat in TERA would feel so much more actiony if you could just move while fighting. It's combat seems even less actiony than other MMO's to me because it's battle mechanic makes you think you should be able to move while casting/hitting that when you can't it makes it seem even more static and boring. Having to aim and target where you want to hit makes no sense when the person you're fighting has to stop moving to hit you as well.

Not saying that all MMO's need the ability to move while casting, not including it just seems opposite of what TERA wants from it's combat.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I swear the combat in TERA would feel so much more actiony if you could just move while fighting. It's combat seems even less actiony than other MMO's to me because it's battle mechanic makes you think you should be able to move while casting/hitting that when you can't it makes it seem even more static and boring. Having to aim and target where you want to hit makes no sense when the person you're fighting has to stop moving to hit you as well.

Not saying that all MMO's need the ability to move while casting, not including it just seems opposite of what TERA wants from it's combat.

Pretty much this. I played an Elementalist in GW2, then I played an archer TERA. I was incredibly upset when my character froze as I attempted to shoot arrows.

Jira

Glad Diablo had an open beta this past weekend made it go by much faster. Now to wait the 4 days and some hours more.

I have a question, I feel it was brought up before but I can't remember and can't seem to find it. Cross server chat? I know you can play with people from other servers and be on multiple guilds and all but have they said there is any issue when it comes to talking to people on a different server? Like I said I thought this was brought up before but I had trouble finding it. I thought for some reason they said that you couldn't do it, which didn't make much sense to me.

You can invite people from other servers into a group to chat with them or through PMs and even send items in the mail to another server.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looking forward to this beta. Put up or shut up time for Arenanet as its potential customers get their hands on the game. =D

You can invite people from other servers into a group to chat with them or through PMs and even send items in the mail to another server.

Ok thanks. I am not sure what I was thinking of, but I knew it didn't make much sense that we wouldn't be able to.

I'm hoping this weekend they do an end of the beta event like they did the last closed beta. Couldn't take off this Friday so I took off Monday just in case they have something so I won't miss it. Plus I will need to catch up on sleep lost from the weekend.

LowParry

Looking forward to this beta. Put up or shut up time for Arenanet as its potential customers get their hands on the game. =D

If it's successful, the wait for the next beta is going to be painful. And even more painful not knowing a release date. :(

If it's successful, the wait for the next beta is going to be painful. And even more painful not knowing a release date. :(

I was thinking this exact thing this past weekend but Diablo will make that wait a little easier for me. Release is two weeks after this weekends beta then I'll have a good two weeks in Diablo and be able to take a break with the next beta. I feel the wait will be harder once we have a release date though.

zlatko

Banned
So is there anyway to get into the beta aside from pre ordering it?

I'd like to try it to see if it's that new crack MMO we've all been waiting for.

So is there anyway to get into the beta aside from pre ordering it?

I'd like to try it to see if it's that new crack MMO we've all been waiting for.

They have said they will have other ways in. I'm guessing they will also invite people from the first invite along with other giveaways with sites and what not, but we haven't heard anything official yet. I'm guessing it will be just pre-purchasers and maybe press this weekend as sort of an additional stress test, especially if they talked about stopping pre-purchase if they hit too many. So there will probably be more ways in with more betas down the road.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would like to know this also. I want a demo or something, as I am pretty skeptical.
You are not going to get a demo until the game is ready for release when I am sure there will be a free trial.

Besides pre-purchasing and having signed up for the beta previously (there have been closed beta events already a number of times) there may be other ways to get entry into the beta weekend, but we don't have details yet. The first thing they're doing is guaranteeing enough spots for everyone who pre-purchased.

LowParry

I would like to know this also. I want a demo or something, as I am pretty skeptical.

Your "something" will be our impressions after the weekend. Or you'll be able to find streams of the weekend itself. There's plenty of options to get impressions from.

Vano

I think people who went to PAX got Beta codes for this BWE but yea, only prebuying will get you to this first BWE guaranteed but RepairmanJack says, maybe this week there will be giveaways.

Only arena net knows if they will do a open beta event close to the release, tho i think there are high possibilities that there will be one.

I think people who went to PAX got Beta codes for this BWE but yea, only prebuying will get you to this first BWE guaranteed but RepairmanJack says, maybe this week there will be giveaways.

Only arena net knows if they will do a open beta event close to the release, tho i think there are high possibilities that there will be one.

Maybe I read this wrong, but I meant the opposite. I doubt there will be any giveaways for the first beta, as there will be more emphasis on spots for all the pre-purchasers and they most likely don't want to over extend the servers. After the first BWE goes fine they will most likely invite more people and do giveaways as time goes on and maybe pre-purchases slow down.

Ricker

I have a test tomorrow in Computer Science that I need to be studying for, so logically, I'm trying to procrastinate as much as possible so here's two more avatars that I made since the last ones seemed to go over so well!

Logo.png
Logo-Text.png

Grabbed one,thanks...hopefully we get somekind of pre-load for the beta early this week(like today would be good hehe)

Vano

Maybe I read this wrong, but I meant the opposite. I doubt there will be any giveaways for the first beta, as there will be more emphasis on spots for all the pre-purchasers and they most likely don't want to over extend the servers. After the first BWE goes fine they will most likely invite more people and do giveaways as time goes on and maybe pre-purchases slow down.

Yeah that sounds right, the "maybe there will be giveaways" is a big maybe going to not, there will be blood if people who got in by giveaways played and people who bought the game were left out :p.

I suppose they will increase more and more the server capacity with each BWE and throw some giveaways, invites for some of the future events and then close to the release an Open beta.

And dunno why after i saw that controller for GW2 i instantly imagined that Razer will release that in the future for 150 USD ~_~, looks cool :p

Arken2121

This is kind of cool. Someone on the GW2 subreddit made themselves a controller for GW2.

Seems like it'd be hard to use though. Also if you go this far with it, you might as well make custom keys and all.

nice commitment but in my opinion, it's probably not a good idea to have movement and skills on one hand :)

Yeah that sounds right, the "maybe there will be giveaways" is a big maybe going to not, there will be blood if people who got in by giveaways played and people who bought the game were left out :p.

I suppose they will increase more and more the server capacity with each BWE and throw some giveaways, invites for some of the future events and then close to the release an Open beta.

And dunno why after i saw that controller for GW2 i instantly imagined that Razer will release that in the future for 150 USD ~_~, looks cool :p

Yeah it would be a huge mistake if some people didn't get in that pre-purchased. That's why they talked about maybe having to turn off the option to pre-purchase if they hit their capacity for the first beta. If their capacity goes up a lot for the second beta and they don't get close to that with pre-purchases they will probably do a lot of giveaways and invites.

nice commitment but in my opinion, it's probably not a good idea to have movement and skills on one hand :)

Yeah, I would lean more toward a custom mouse than a keyboard setup like that. Unless the guy plans on using this and a keyboard(somehow) which would be even more confusing.

Vano

Eurogamer articles about arenanet and GW2 with videos and pictures:

Inside Stories

Plans for year to come

300x-1

Mike O'Brien stressed at the very beginning of our visit that Guild Wars 2 doesn't have a release date. The "when?" of this gigantic operation will depend on the beta. But it's clear the end is in sight, and that every facet of ArenaNet wants the world to see what it's poured five years of hard work into, because they genuinely believe they've made something great.

Mike O'Brien stressed at the very beginning of our visit that Guild Wars 2 doesn't have a release date. The "when?" of this gigantic operation will depend on the beta. But it's clear the end is in sight, and that every facet of ArenaNet wants the world to see what it's poured five years of hard work into, because they genuinely believe they've made something great.

Was just about to post this part. Sounds like they have a date or two they would like to hit and the beta will tell them if it's possible.

I'm still holding out for late June/early July. I don't care what Kayos thinks. :lol

"You may not realise this," he said, "but we have development plans in our back pocket for literally years to come."

Also another good quote from the article.

Dash27

Did we ever see any numbers on how many pre-purchases there were?

I have no problem with it coming out in September if that's what it takes. Again I remember that market call they had when they said MMO releases tend to do better either before o after Summer. Obviously sooner would be better for me. Later than September though would be what I'd consider to be too long, would waste the buzz the game is getting.

Only concern with it going later is if they run out of cash or corporate pressure or something. Hopefully that isnt an issue and they can really get it out "when it's ready".

XeroSauce

Hi there.

So I've been lurking in these GW2 forums for a while now, and I just pre-purchased the game. What are my next steps?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I've been lurking in these GW2 forums for a while now, and I just pre-purchased the game. What are my next steps?

Join the GAF Guild over in Community. :p

Although the answer you are looking for is waiting for ANet to send you the download for the Beta client. Then prepare to play the game this weekend.

EDIT: Did you register the code you got for pre-purchasing yet?

If not, go to...

https://register.guildwars2.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom