• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Championship Series: Daytona 2017, May 12th - 14th

jem0208

daytona-socialasset-motd-pattern1920x572-f6cfd3e654a64663a98a9fe48347281c.png

Halo 5 esports is returning with a $75'000 prize pool at HCS Daytona hosted by UMG. The event will consist of pro groups and an open 4v4 bracket on Friday (today!) and Saturday which will act as seeds for the championship bracket on Sunday.

The event will be streamed at https://beam.pro/halo and https://www.twitch.tv/halo.

Schedule:
Pro Groups:

Also, it's not a shit venue!
arena-seating.jpg

Links
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/esports
Daytona preview. - Includes extra info such as team composition, full schedule and prize pool distribution.
Trailer.
@Halo
@HCS
@UMGEvents

6RNt0R5.gif

jem0208

Halo 5 is so much better to watch then actually play

I think it's pretty damn amazing at both honestly.

The new HCS settings are sublime though. Seriously can't get enough of the HCS playlist.

Maybe should include this in the OP but for those who don't know these are the new settings: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/final-summer-2017-settings

Highlights:
- Pistol starts.
- Complete removal of automatic weapons.
- Radar changed to only track Spartan abilities (sprint, thrust etc.)

The new HCS settings are sublime though. Seriously can't get enough of the HCS playlist.

Maybe should include this in the OP but for those who don't know these are the new settings: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/final-summer-2017-settings

Highlights:
- Pistol starts.
Yean the new HCS playlist sounds good with no ARS, will reinstall Halo 5 and try it if they ever fix the aiming problems

Trup1aya

Yean the new HCS playlist sounds good with no ARS, will reinstall Halo 5 and try it if they ever fix the aiming problems

On waypoint, Tashi mentioned that a "heavy aim fix" build is present at Daytona.

They won't be using it at the start of the tournament, but if team captains agree, they'll use it during the champ bracket.

So a fix is potentially imminent.

Edit: Late!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So looking forward to this. It's been a while since worlds and of course there have been some much demanded, significant changes to the game that have really made it exciting again.

But it's mother's day weekend and I'm booked with my wife and our 3 kids, my mom, and my mother in law, so I'll be playing the catchup game next week.

Predictions/wishful thinking:
Optic
Envyus
Liquid
Luminosity
Spylce
Str8 rippin
Oxygen supremacy
Top hAMs

I still dont get it. They could not get this venue for the finals, but for the brackets they can?
Did someone find out what happened last time?

mcrommert

Banned
So i'm not wrong in saying few halo games this late in life are getting huge competitive balance upgrades like halo 5 is getting...some evidence they will pass along their work on halo 5 to halo 6 and go service with the multi

Trup1aya

So i'm not wrong in saying few halo games this late in life are getting huge competitive balance upgrades like halo 5 is getting...some evidence they will pass along their work on halo 5 to halo 6 and go service with the multi

I'd love to have a Halo game that's balanced properly at launch....

It's been 15 years...

Excited to squeeze in some viewing this weekend! Hopefully there's more balloons this time around.

I really hope so. Halo has a chance of coming back as a popular esport if it had an independent multiplayer client (on PC and console) that gets regular updates. Think: games like CS:GO or Overwatch which will be updated and played for years after launch.

They can just make campaign expansions every 3 years in the normal dev cycle

Excited to squeeze in some viewing this weekend! Hopefully there's more balloons this time around.

I really hope so. Halo has a chance of coming back as a popular esport if it had an independent multiplayer client (on PC and console) that gets regular updates. Think: games like CS:GO or Overwatch which will be updated and played for years after launch.

That's kind of what I hope they start doing. Have a team dedicated to just multiplayer and then have a team dedicated to just telling epic stories.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm on my way.

Hope to be in a G/A/F thread soon. Either shark or motorbike related.

Hint: It's F.

belushy

Banned
Let's goooooo. Gonna be the next big step for HCS this event. NEW settings, some new faces and it's another open event with probably the biggest set of am competition. I could see Wise (Clouds team) being a big dark horse for this event. I still epxect Optic to win but also hope for good showings from Str8 and EG.

Highlights:
- Pistol starts.

OMG what. Can't wait to give this a try. Was super bummed that other playlist with the new tracker was gone.

Trup1aya

I'd love to have a lightweight version of Halo 5 that was just A few ranked arena playlists w/ LAN support.

Make it really inexpensive or free- and throw in Xbox LIVE Arena support and I'd be golden,

BizzyBum

Even though people are split on playing the game, I do find watching Halo 5, especially pros, to be very exciting and always a good watch. Halo 5 is just a great game to watch competitively.

Strider

Wait... Is the new radar exclusive to the HCS playlist?

That should be something implemented in every playlist...

jem0208

Wait... Is the new radar exclusive to the HCS playlist?
Yup.

Halo 5 is getting a balanace update?
They made some changes to the competitive settings, the actual weapon balancing hasn't been touched. Besides reducing the noscope magnetism of the sniper which was 100% needed.

Edit: Actually, what I've said is not strictly true. They're considering balance changes for after this season of pro league. Personally I think it's unlikely we'll actually see large scale changes and that they'll just stick with the current HCS settings for the most part.

psyfi

Banned
I always say I'm gonna watch but then I end up doing other stuff

maybe I'm 100%* gonna watch this time, pinky swear

Madness

I'm on my way.

Hope to be in a G/A/F thread soon. Either shark or motorbike related.

Hint: It's F.

Frankie will be the next 'Florida Man'...

Excited to see how the other teams stack up. Don't see anyone taking down OpTic. They are the best team and yet scrim more than anyone else. You can't beat a better team if you practice and play less than them.

spootime

Although I spend a good amount of time shitting on halo and 343 it sounds like they're on the right track with this stuff. Removing autos, aim update, good venue, etc are all great and I hope Halo can come back in popularity as an esport. Halo has always been far and away the best esport on consoles.

Really interested in seeing who gets better or worse with the new settings. Theoretically, the radar changes and no autos should mean teams with better comms have a huge advantage, but we'll see!

jem0208

Really interested in seeing who gets better or worse with the new settings. Theoretically, the radar changes and no autos should mean teams with better comms have a huge advantage, but we'll see!
Yup, probably just means OG will be even better.

Their comms are so good.

I'm really hyped to see how the new LG does. All of the players on the squad show up on LAN. Their success is pretty much going to be dictated by how hard Ninja tilts (or doesn't tilt).

belushy

Banned
Hoping the aim fix is true, but I have a hard time trusting even pro opinions if they are testing on a private server and not over XBL.

Top Bottom