• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo's handling of the SNES Classic convinced anyone else to build a Retro Pi

oni-link

My girlfriend really wanted a SNES Classic after they were first revealed but after seeing how difficult it was to get a hold of a NES Classic, and now with the hassle it is it get a SNES Classic, I decided to instead look into building a Retro Pi

For anyone who doesn't know what that is, a Retro Pi is a cheap Raspberry Pi PC that is set up to run retro games, check this thread out for more information

This is mine and I couldn't be happier with it

20451987_1576778222353854_223268776983335189_o.jpg

Edit: The controller works wirelessly via Bluetooth, it's just plugged in here to charge

It cost me about £90 in total when you include the cost of the controller, and not only plays SNES games, but pretty much everything from NES to PS1

It's a Virtual Console in a box the size of a cigarette packet

So GAF, has anyone else gone down this route when faced with the prospect of trying to find a SNES Classic?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Not specifically the SNES Classic situation, but yeah, I've been thinking about making one for ages. Would love to get some PS1 games on there.

Get banned pirate.

Honestly it's probably he best way to go if you don't want to emulate on your PC directly. It's very robust, and I may make one some day. I actualljy got one of those gamesticks that were on sale a while back for $18 and rooted that. It works pretty spectacularly for retro emu games. Haven't really tried anything like PS1 though, not sure it would handle that.

Two completely different markets, people building a Retro Pi setup are doing so to play a lot more games than just those that are available on the SNES Classic.

No, not because of piracy. But because the emulator on the SNES and NES Classics are very good and they provide features that you would normally seen in compilation packages for modern consoles. A retropie can't do the same for me. I'd be better off downloading the roms and playing them on my PC.

Nobody said they were doing that. Can we not jump to this conclusion in every GAF emulation thread?

Neither did I. I said "IF". They asked if it were illegal, and depending, yes it can be. You gave a simple "No" I actually gave a more detailed answer.

Christ you emulation enthusiasts are so quick to snap back.

Robin64

For what it's worth, the reason I got a NES and SNES Classic Mini were not just to have a device to emulate these games. I already have a PC hooked up to my TV for that, and a homebrew 3DS doing a great job too.

There's just something a little more special about having these little consoles and their accurate controllers. I played through NES games a lot more on my NES Mini than I did on other emulation methods, for instance.

So where do you get a legal Star Fox 2 rom?

You don't. So the Pi won't include that.

But sure, let's just talk about piracy already, within two posts.

Ganado

So where do you get a legal Star Fox 2 rom?

Who said he had it?

Neither did I. I said "IF". They asked if it were illegal, and depending, yes it can be. You gave a simple "No" I actually gave a more detailed answer.

Thats like saying that Console/PC gaming can be illegal if they pirated it. NO SHIT

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really think the SNES Mini hype is the total package. If you wanted to play those games, there's been many, many, ways over the years to do so.

It's kinda like saying you'll download an mp3 of a special edition gatefold vinyl. Yes, you'll get the music but that's not really the point.

No.

It's made me want them to stop dicking around with these novelty boxes and release an actual Virtual Console service on Switch.

Seik

Banned

There's honestly a good reason to, people tend to fuck up any emulation related threads pretty quickly with piracy talk.

For anyone being quick on the trigger on the piracy thing, I'd suggest checking this older thread I made: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1210652

robrueda

Actually I'm getting the SNES Classic for the Controls. If I couldn't get the console I'd probably just get an SNES 8bitdo controller and wait for the Switch VC.

oni-link

I really think the SNES Mini hype is the total package. If you wanted to play those games, there's been many, many, ways over the years to do so.

It's kinda like saying you'll download an mp3 of a special edition gatefold vinyl. Yes, you'll get the music but that's not really the point.

Yeah and I totally understand that, I can see the appeal, but it's more that the prospect of actually getting one, watching sites to check when they're in stock, trying to find somewhere to preorder one from, knowing Nintendo won't make enough units

The prospect of dealing with that pushed me into building a Pi

Harlock

The bad part is that the average joe will not be able to config a Retropie or dont wanna. And this average joe is the last people who can get a snes mini.

The fair thing would be Nintendo forbbiden hardcore gamers from buying.

Kouriozan

I already considered one but even with step by step guides, flashing and all that stuff are super confusing so I gave up.

jwhit28

SNES classic is by far the cheapest way to get all 21 games. $80 wouldn't even get you half the games on Virtual Console, nevermind the hardware needed.

Fliesen

There's honestly a good reason to, people tend to fuck up any emulation related threads pretty quickly with piracy talk.

For anyone being quick on the trigger on the piracy thing, I'd suggest checking this older thread I made: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1210652

It really depends, though.
Like, it's really easy to dump your own PSX, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Wii U, Wii and Gamecube games. - anything disc based, really.

But for cartridge based systems where downloading the entire game library within 3 seconds, it's really not a huge leap to assume they're talking about roms downloaded from the internet.

Like, do you really think the OP being like
It cost me about £90 in total when you include the cost of the controller, and not only plays SNES games, but pretty much everything from NES to PS1
really includes devices to dump their legally obtained and dumped NES and SNES roms? :/

With regards to the RetroPi ... it's nice, i guess - but the charm about the SNES mini and the NES mini is that they're Nintendo built consoles. And Nintendo built controllers. Something you don't get with a Raspberry Pi.

I understand where you are coming from OP. Eventually I would like to make one, but since I kept all of my SNES childhood stuff I'm not in any big rush to make it just yet.

I did however get a device that lets me get my very old save files off my RPG carts. To this there was much tears and rejoicing as I can keep those tucked away.

Marcel

I would be surprised if Star Fox 2 isn't ripped from the SNES Classic almost immediately. It's not much of an advantage.

I'd really like a Retro Pi as it looks a really good solution for a lot of older console stuff, but I'd still take a SNES over the Classic or emulation right now.

I've still got my SNES at home but in the UK at least, you can still pick consoles up pretty cheaply and while some of the games are pricey, most aren't. Obviously you save a load more in the long-run by not having to buy games, but I don't mind paying more for the sensation of clunking a cartridge into the slot and having that physical experience, but that's just a subjective thing really. Like with the analogy someone else made about vinyl/mp3, I could listen to an album I love on Spotify, or I could buy the 180gm pressing with the nice artwork, depends on your priorities.

Certainly not shitting on emu or going the Retro Pi route - I use MAME and USB pads for other consoles, but the argument isn't strong enough for me to go that route for the SNES right now. Maintaining my SNES, taking risks with carts off eBay and digging in second hand stores still gives me a higher sense of 'value' than the added convenience of emulation or lucking out on finding a SNES Classic somewhere and it's affordable for me to do so. For Neo-Geo or whatever - consoles I've never owned before, lots of games that have never been ported elsewhere and the pricing being sky high, I'd go Retro Pi allllll day as I simply can't afford the alternative.

Emulation devices has been available for decades.. That's not the point of owning a classic Mini... I dont care at all of having a Pi... it doesn't have the Nintendo brand or the nostalgia factor on it. Thats the value of a brand my friend.

120v

planned on getting one since the NES classic fiasco. never got around to it though

when i do i'll get one of those premade ones off amazon because i'm an idiot and can't put anything together right. they come bundled with controllers and kodi anyway

pislit

For a hobbyist/enthusiast message board, neogaf seems too lazy to build or too afraid to try and build computers. Then another looming 'problem' of troubleshooting these things? Not gonna happen.

(Un)Luckily, living in a backwater third-world country means that no one will buy these SNES classics and I'll just walk in any video game store and there it is, no queue, stocks all around.

TheMoon

Sure, I prefer to just have games for free. Why bother paying for shit.

pls let's not act like more than a tiny niche actually rips and dumps their own roms or even owns the cartridges.

sotojuan

I got a SNES Classic and didn't care for the NES Classic. Still considering it. The convenience is very interesting.

I got my preorder of Snes classic in and would have gotten it. However, the price was 150 euros which is double the "real price". Bergsala is distributor in Northern Europe, so they are stealing half the money. No other explanation. Refused to pay and support their thievery so cancelled my preorder and bought rasp 3 instead.

Works like a charm.

Cilla

Nah. I was able to preorder one when they were first announced. Australia seems alright about this kind of thing. Just a shame we get screwed over with literally everything else.

Laws00

No lol

I just want it for nostalgia reasons and to play star fox 2

That being said I have a Super Ever Dive with all the games loaded on it and my Super Nintendo. I think im good.

Top Bottom