• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo's handling of the SNES Classic convinced anyone else to build a Retro Pi

Mr_Moogle

I'm still amazed at just how shit the US version of the SNES looks. The japanese/european model looks so much nicer with smoother edges and none of those horrible purple buttons. Wtf we're Nintendo thinking with that?

Real question: is there anywhere to legally obtain/purchase roms?

According to Nintendo all emulation including ripping your own roms is illegal/piracy. Purchasing the game off the eShop is only purchasing a license not a copy of the rom itself. Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) this has never been seriously challenged legally so no precedent has been established. Which leaves it languishing in a legal grey area.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What is even the point of coming into a thread like this accusing people of pirating ROMs? Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but you can't prove anything and you're not even affected by it at all.

Nintendo are the only ones affected, and if it really bothered them that much they would have made enough stock.
If your honestly and genuinely discussing the premise of this thread. Then the answer would be probably no it's not worth getting the retro pi as to legally play these you'd have buu extra hardware and acquire the skills. Most like case this would not be true would be piracy. So it's not ignorable in this case.

Seesaw15

Real question: is there anywhere to legally obtain/purchase roms?

Yeah, this is why a Retro Pi is not a viable option for most people. Haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES and even when I did I was a poor kid so I barely had any games. I would either have to buy the carts and rip them or buy a wii/wii u and purchase all the games but at that point I would probably just play them on the wii.

According to Nintendo all emulation including ripping your own roms is illegal. Purchasing the game off the eShop is only purchasing a license not a copy of the rom itself. Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) this has never been seriously challenged legally so no precedent has been established. Which leaves it languishing in a legal grey area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment,_Inc._v._Connectix_Corp.

While the Virtual Game Station might very well lower Sony's PlayStation console sales, its transformative status- allowing PlayStation games to be played on Mac - rendered it a legitimate competitor in the market for Sony and Sony-licensed games:[3] "For this reason, some economic loss by Sony as a result of this competition does not compel a finding of no fair use. Sony understandably seeks control over the market for devices that play games Sony produces or licenses. The copyright law, however, does not confer such a monopoly."

I was referring to the "all emulation is illegal" part. Nintendo's full of shit, the precedent for emulation being legal's been set for nearly 20 years.

Ah. I do notice they have updated that section of their site quite a bit. They go with a softer word with "unauthorized" when singling out emulators. Past versions much more blatantly called them piracy.

How Come Nintendo Does Not Take Steps Towards Legitimizing Nintendo Emulators?

Emulators developed to play illegally copied Nintendo software promote piracy. That's like asking why doesn't Nintendo legitimize piracy. It doesn't make any business sense. It's that simple and not open to debate.

Compared to how it reads on their legal page now..

What is a Nintendo Video Game Emulator?

A Nintendo emulator is a software program that is designed to allow game play on a platform that it was not created for. A Nintendo emulator allows for Nintendo console based or arcade games to be played on unauthorized hardware. The video games are obtained by downloading illegally copied software, i.e. Nintendo ROMs, from Internet distributors. Nintendo ROMs then work with the Nintendo emulator to enable game play on unauthorized hardware such as a personal computer, a modified console, etc.

Its not like these are hard to find... Theyre damn near impossible if its anything like the nes mini. Ive still never seen one in person or know anyone that found one and our one Eb games ended up with a list of over 300 people not getting an nes after signing up. Thats ridiculous and I personally would rather Nintendo not release these at all, than purposely produce a product waaaaay under the demand that exists. I dont get it.

I built a Retro-Pi and it's pretty awesome! It was super simple and I'm glad I can emulate a ton of consoles. But I also bought a SNES classic since I never owned one as a kid and I want to legally own some of those games so I can also feel good about putting them on my Retro-Pi.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
You should own a RetroPi whether you were planning to get or already have a pre-order for the SNES Classic or not. It's really that good.

Anyone who says "set up a retropie in 20 minutes" is a bit disingenuous.

Very much so. Compound with the fact that recalbox should also be given a shot. I work with computers 40+ hours a week so when I'm home, I want to sit the fuck down and play some vidya games. In the end I still use my Wii for emulation purposes!

MutFox

Banned
I want it just for StarFox 2.
Though I'm sure it'll hit the Switch late next year.

Pretty sure the reason the Virtual Console has been delayed is due to how much marketing and sales these retro systems accomplish.
Late this year or with Nintendo Online launching we'll get NES games.
Later, once the hype from the SNES retro dies down, we'll get SNES Virtual Console games.

Javaman

Retro Pi + this >>> SNES Classic.

il_570xN.1258985284_525y.jpg

What is that fan even doing right there lol.

The Shield is a much more robust piece of hardware. If you have one, there is no reason to get the Pi system going.

The Nvidia Shield is far more powerful but the Pi with RetroPie is a significantly more mature, turn-key solution for emulating lots of systems, and integrates everything with a slick UI (emulationstation). What are the good front end options on the Nvidia Shield? I tried Gamesome and was pretty disappointed. I use my Nvidia Shield TV for gamecube/wii, N64, and arcade emulation, but prefer the pi for all the older console systems.

TriAceJP

The Nvidia Shield is far more powerful but the Pi with RetroPie is a significantly more mature, turn-key solution for emulating lots of systems, and integrates everything with a slick UI (emulationstation). What are the good front end options on the Nvidia Shield? I tried Gamesome and was pretty disappointed. I use my Nvidia Shield TV for gamecube/wii, N64, and arcade emulation, but prefer the pi for all the older console systems.

Retroarch works on the Shield TV and the Android development for the suite is pretty nicely developed.

I like gamesome personally, it's very light and simple. You can give Arc Browser a shot and see if it's more up your alley.

BiggNife

Has anyone here tried playing Kirby Super Star on RetroPie? I get major slowdown, which I assume has to do with the fact that KSS used the SA1 enhancement chip. I found a thread on Google that suggested overclocking my Pi but I don't know the first thing about doing that and it looks like the Pi 3 (which I have) isn't as easy to overclock as the Pi 1 or 2.

I tried updating my OS, which seems to have fucked up my RetroPie setup somehow because it won't boot to the main menu. Guess I'll have to reinstall.

So I guessing this can't do Dolphin like Nvidia Sheld ?

No way. N64 emulation is basically the most complex emulation you can do on a Pi. Remember you're comparing a $200 Android console with a $40 system-on-a-chip.

MercuryLS3

I have a retropie box and I don't like it, it's too fiddly. I'm glad I got an snes classic, just want something that's plug and play and simple to operate. Just hope that the 8bitdo recievers and wireless controllers work well and pair easily every time.

ithorien

While I wouldn't mind the limited product, Nintendo has proven time and time again that they don't have a single clue about much of anything lately. Epitome of incompetence, I don't even understand how they stumble on the success they've seen last decade+.

Every time I stress about possibly not being able to get one of the minis, I think of my Pi and calm down.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't used my pi much at all even though it was pretty easy to set up and works great. Honestly the biggest issue is just HDMI ports on my TV. If I get a bigger switch so that it's always plugged in I'd probably use it more.

I've got a Retropie setup. It was honestly very easy to set up, works great, costs less for the hardware and offers many more options than the Nintendo products do. People are doing some brilliant things with the shaders and the skins.

BiggNife

I have a retropie box and I don't like it, it's too fiddly. I'm glad I got an snes classic, just want something that's plug and play and simple to operate. Just hope that the 8bitdo recievers and wireless controllers work well and pair easily every time.

Yeah, I think the Pi absolutely has its place but I'm still getting a SNES Classic because it's going to have that Nintendo polish and I can pick up and play any game without having to worry about performance issues. I don't regret buying a Pi but I think I've had some bad luck with it. I'm sure for most people it's fine, but trying to fix a problem can be a real pain because this is an entirely community-driven product instead of something with real tech support.

vato_loco

I built mine a while ago but haven't been using it because my DS3 controller has ALL the input lag when used wirelessly and I have no idea how to fix that.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So the premise is you also need an NTSC Wii (since PAL Wiis have 50Hz games) and to have bought the original games (not all of which are on Wii) on the VC, so that's another $200 of 'required stuff laying around'. You'll still need a SNES ripper and carts for a few games, and will never have Star Fox 2, but we'll let that slide.

So your interpretation of the OP is actually:

"Hey, if you have $200+ worth of stuff already laying around, and time and knowhow to rip all the games yourself, you can also buy a Pi and put the huge valuable legitimate collection you already own on it, and now you have something marginally cheaper than a SNES mini, with only vast original caveats as part of the premise!".

There are several Nintendo systems that have the VC. Do you really think it's that outrageous to imagine that someone interested in the SNES classic (a Nintendo fan) just maybe owns an original SNES and some games, or any 1 of those systems with VC?

Might as well start complaining that the OP hasn't factored in the cost of a PC and monthly internet since you need one to purchase and setup the Pi while the SNES mini can be bought in a brick and mortar store.

Archanfel

I've got a retropie. Though I had it way before these classics were announced. It's easy to set up. And even has custom box art imgs and UIs you can download right on the box to personalize it. Get you a case or custom make one yourself. If you actually want to play retro games it's worth it. My son adores it and so do I. Still may pick up a snes classic if I happen to see one in stores though. Not gonna go hunting for something that isn't worth the stress of hunting for.

D.Lo

There are several Nintendo systems that have the VC. Do you really think it's that outrageous to imagine that someone interested in the SNES classic (a Nintendo fan) just maybe owns an original SNES and some games, or any 1 of those systems with VC?

Might as well start complaining that the OP hasn't factored in the cost of a PC and monthly internet since you need one to purchase and setup the Pi while the SNES mini can be bought in a brick and mortar store.
Yeah okay pal maybe read the rest of the thread where this has been gone over.

The premise of the thread is that it is an alternative to the SNES Mini. You needing 20 Virtual Console games minimum ($160) plus all the knowhow or equipment to rip them to make a Pi equivalent without piracy is a pretty big caveat to it being an alternative.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've got a Retropie setup. It was honestly very easy to set up, works great, costs less for the hardware and offers many more options than the Nintendo products do. People are doing some brilliant things with the shaders and the skins.

I didn't even dive into that much, it took me almost no time at all to set up a CRT shader that I found acceptable. I remember thinking that type of thing was silly when I first heard about it, but it really does make old 2D sprite games look so much better.

Type40

I'm still amazed at just how shit the US version of the SNES looks. The japanese/european model looks so much nicer with smoother edges and none of those horrible purple buttons. Wtf we're Nintendo thinking with that?

Naw, you have that completely backwards.

Koren

I didn't even dive into that much, it took me almost no time at all to set up a CRT shader that I found acceptable. I remember thinking that type of thing was silly when I first heard about it, but it really does make old 2D sprite games look so much better.
I've probably tried emulators for a couple hours at best, but I was under the feeling that for all the interest some of them could have visually, the increased lag was making them unsuitable for me.

So where do you get a legal Star Fox 2 rom?
By dumping it from a SNES mini? :D

According to Nintendo all emulation including ripping your own roms is illegal/piracy.
As you said, they don't make laws, so that remain to be seen. Though it's usually hard to properly and legally dump a rom (and that depend on the country, I'm not sure it's legal everywhere...), unless you find one of those USB cart readers (or hacked something like a retroN5).

I was referring to the "all emulation is illegal" part. Nintendo's full of shit, the precedent for emulation being legal's been set for nearly 20 years.
I'm sure it was legal 20 years ago here, but I'm not sure it's still the case, even if you dump original cartridges yourself. Laws change (and recently, I'd say, not in a good way for the user), and it's a tricky question, since it's not directly written for those situations, usually.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've probably tried emulators for a couple hours at best, but I was under the feeling that for all the interest some of them could have visually, the increased lag was making them unsuitable for me.

By dumping it from a SNES mini? :D

As you said, they don't make laws, so that remain to be seen. Though it's usually hard to properly and legally dump a rom (and that depend on the country, I'm not sure it's legal everywhere...), unless you find one of those USB cart readers (or hacked something like a retroN5).

I'm sure it was legal 20 years ago here, but I'm not sure it's still the case, even if you dump original cartridges yourself. Laws change (and recently, I'd say, not in a good way for the user), and it's a tricky question, since it's not directly written for those situations, usually.

Why would it be illegal to make a backup of your own games that you own? Reading the wording on the NOA link provided makes it sound like they're ASSUMING you have the intent to distribute backups illegally. I suspect that wouldn't hold any weight in a court of law. Unless you can prove that a backup is made with the intent to distribute, it seems like it's perfectly legal to do it.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah okay pal maybe read the rest of the thread where this has been gone over.

The premise of the thread is that it is an alternative to the SNES Mini. You needing 20 Virtual Console games minimum ($160) plus all the knowhow or equipment to rip them to make a Pi equivalent without piracy is a pretty big caveat to it being an alternative.

Did you even read my post? Again, you're assuming people haven't already purchased at least a few of these games, that they don't already own a PC (that "equipment" you mention), etc.

Also, "alternative" doesn't have to mean "exact clone". Not everyone is interested in an SNES mini for the same reasons. You seem to believe people only want it to be able to play an exact list of 20 games (no more and no fewer), none of which they already own in any form or on any platform.

OmegaDL50

I don't think so but it is really not that hard to get a lot of old games on steam, PSN or one of Nintendos systems.

I don't think anyone offers a plain ROM though.

SNK's Humble Bundles did this very thing. They sold basically Roms of Neo-Geo games packaged along with an emulator. Also the emulator was not self contained. Meaning you could take your legally purchased roms and use them on another Neo-Geo emulator of your choosing.

The Sega Genesis Classics collection on Steam are also Sega Genesis roms packaged along with an emulator. The roms themselves are in a special container format with an extension recognized by the emulator that it comes with. There isn't anything preventing one to use their own emulator with the included games.

D.Lo

Did you even read my post? Again, you're assuming people haven't already purchased at least a few of these games, that they don't already own a PC (that "equipment" you mention), etc.

Also, "alternative" doesn't have to mean "exact clone". Not everyone is interested in an SNES mini for the same reasons. You seem to believe people only want it to be able to play an exact list of 20 games (no more and no fewer), none of which they already own in any form or on any platform.
So you didn't read the thread or my post, got you. If you're talking about original carts, the equipment is not just a PC, you need a cart ripper and knowhow to use it. So the premise of the thread becomes faulty - if you have hundreds of dollars of original carts sitting round (in both original and today's prices), and the tools to rip them yourself (huge caveats to the premise), then maybe it could be viable without piracy. And the type of person who had all that stuff already would hardly be looking into emulation boxes for the first time just because of SNES mini pre-orders.

Unless all of the above huge caveats are met, no, a Pi box is not a viable alternative without downloading illegal roms.

Ironically I do have have all that equipment and a huge retro collection myself, but find Pi boxes to be a sub-standard gaming experience.

DarkestHour

Banned
I made a RetroPi after the Mini NES clusterfuck. Great decision and glad I can now play all my games I have stored in boxes that I can't get to work because none of my TVs will work with my consoles for some reason.

bionic77

SNK's Humble Bundles did this very thing. They sold basically Roms of Neo-Geo games packaged along with an emulator. Also the emulator was not self contained. Meaning you could take your legally purchased roms and use them on another Neo-Geo emulator of your choosing.

The Sega Genesis Classics collection on Steam are also Sega Genesis roms packaged along with an emulator. The roms themselves are in a special container format with an extension recognized by the emulator that it comes with. There isn't anything preventing one to use their own emulator with the included games.
Did not know that.

Well at least for those games there is zero excuse to pirate since you can legally buy the roms online.

I am sure most don't give a shit thought and will pirate them anyways.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So you didn't read the thread or my post, got you.

I've read the entire thread.

If you're talking about original carts, the equipment is not just a PC, you need a cart ripper and knowhow to use it.

I mentioned carts as one possibility, but I also keep bringing up VC, which I think is far more likely, don't you? More likely someone has purchased them, much easier to rip, etc. No specialized equipment required.

So the premise of the thread becomes faulty - if you have hundreds of dollars of original carts sitting round (in both original and today's prices), and the tools to rip them yourself (huge caveats to the premise), then maybe it could be viable without piracy.

An alternative by definition doesn't have to be equally viable.

You're also glossing over the difficulties of acquiring an SNES mini due to the demand, and the inflated prices on the secondhand market if you weren't lucky enough to get in on the first wave of preorders.

You're also ignoring the advantages of a Pi box that might outweigh the hassles that legally setting up a box entails (plays more than 20 games, handles other systems, ROM hacks and homebrew, other controller options...)

Raysoul

Can someone rundown the total cost including the games that I need to rip off? Based on the current market value of course.

I'm just curious.

Since nobody cared to answer, I tried to do a dirty rundown on the price.

Retro Pi - $115 (as per OP)

There are 21 games on the SNES mini. The easiest way to obtain a legal copy is buying them on a Wii U ($200). Each game averages about $8. Secret of Mana is available only for Wii, and Starfox 2 is not available. So 19 games is $152.

So the total cost would be $467. If you sell the Wii U after, the price drops to $267. It doesn't include the PC or other tools to modify the Wii U and to Dump the ROMS. Price would go higher if you add more games.

If there is a better calculation, please do so.

Remember that the SNES mini is $80, so I expect scalper prices to go about $150-160.

How easy is it to get it up and running?
Do you have to use retro arch?
Most importantly, how well do the games run and is there noticeable input lag?

Sorry to be late to respond to this

Very easy to get set up and running
It has retroarch, and while I'd love to use it runs android emulators and I mostly use those
I had to mess with the settings of each emulator individually, but I basically was able to make the games run with minimal to no noticeable lag. I'm able to do well in rhythm heaven on the GBA so I'd say that's a good sign.

Top Bottom