• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo's handling of the SNES Classic convinced anyone else to build a Retro Pi

TheMan

Honestly I'd rather have the SNES classic, but Nintendo seems ok with major shortages so...I'm looking into the pi.

Already have a pi3 setup with retropie, a NES Classic hacked with more NES, SNES, and Genesis games, and hopefully my SNES Classic order on Amazon.uk will come through.

I use wireless 360 controllers for my pi3 and 8bitdo controllers and wireless dongles for my NES Classic and if there is lag, I don't notice it (thank god, it would drive me crazy if I did).

muteki

I tried setting up a RetroPie a while ago. It's cool, but I found setting up controller configs for certain games to be a real hassle, and I wish you didn't need a bluetooth keyboard to navigate some of the options. Part of the reason I wanted a SNES classic to begin with is because of convenience.

Arcade is kinda a separate problem, if you want a snes box for snes games the pi is incredibly convenient.

You can soft rip ROMS bought via Wii/U/3DS VC too you know? Your crusading here is really fucking unnecessary

I mean, I hear you, but would you not need to include the cost of the console, at least in part, and buying the games off the eShop then? As well as factoring that in as part of the convenience equation? Arguing from the perspective of cost being cheap while also saying "don't assume piracy" then failing to include the cost of those legit sources is disingenuous. All told a legit setup is no way comparable from a cost perspective. It isn't a bullet point that can be argued in favor of, particularly if you are starting from nothing.

Buggy Loop

Nobody said they were doing that. Can we not jump to this conclusion in every GAF emulation thread?

Gaf, where everyone talking about emulating somehow has a huge collection of old console cartridges.

Is this the least believable lie around gaming? I think so..

Gaf, where everyone talking about emulating somehow has a huge collection of old console cartridges.

I mean this is an enthusiast gaming forum, unless you've forgotten. If anyone is likely to have a large collection of retro games, it'll be Gaffers.

CuNi

I'd understand that argument, if I could walk into the next gamestop and buy a cartridge for a snes there. But I can't. So except those games that exist for VC, there's no way of getting new game cartridges. So even if it would be piracy, you don't really do any financial Dmg to Nintendo, since you can't get them anywhere else except used.

FWIW I do have a good chunk of my physical collection ripped legit. I wouldn't use that as arguments in terms of costs and convenience, though. There is a shitload of cost, time, and effort sunk into stuff like that. Cheap and convenient would not be how I describe it in any way, shape, or form.

D.Lo

I mean, I hear you, but would you not need to include the cost of the console, at least in part, and buying the games off the eShop then? As well as factoring that in as part of the convenience equation? Arguing from the perspective of cost being cheap while also saying "don't assume piracy" then failing to include the cost of those legit sources is disingenuous. All told a legit setup is no way comparable from a cost perspective. It isn't a bullet point that can be argued in favor of, particularly if you are starting from nothing.
Yep. "it's really cheap compared to the SNES Mini, if you already have all the original carts, hardware to rip carts, and a Wii U and have bought them all on VC and have the knowhow and ability to rip VC games from a Wii U."

The type of person who has all that likely also has a Framemeister or CRT and plays on real hardware anyway. Emulation boxes (outside of super high quality emulation like the original Wii VC with 240p output) are not true enthusiast devices, they're compromises for casual consumption of these games.

FWIW I do have a good chunk of my physical collection ripped legit. I wouldn't use that as arguments in terms of costs and convenience, though. There is a shitload of cost, time, and effort sunk into stuff like that. Cheap and convenient would not be how I describe it in any way, shape, or form.
Yep same here. It is not cheap or easy.

Robin64

A lot of us do indeed have large retro game collections purely because when we bought them they weren't "retro games" they were just "games".

And as previously mentioned, you can also rip ROMs from VC titles across the three systems they appear on.

tesqui

I guess it would be pretty cool if I gamed on a TV, but I pretty much exclusively use my monitor. I don't see the point in building something like that when I could just create a folder on my desktop called "Emulators"

MRORANGE

Still getting a snes classic but rettopie is still the better option by a long run, had a lot with it over the past few years:

TQ4dHYR.jpg

c6cT6Zm

ZDJQRtB

19YdQWl

Pi's aren't exactly as affordable up here in Canada as it is elsewhere but it's something I've thought about doing for a long while now. Baby steps, though, there are a few projects I have in mind right now that I want to get done before I jump into that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Basically. There is no way someone is talking an out how much cheaper and easier it is to use the retro pi in comparison to snes mini even if you consider the massive costs and not referring to piracy.

Unlike with disc based media it's not quite as easy to legimately emulate your cartridges so let's drop any pretenses here.

Sho Nuff

Banned
v8m50rW.jpg

Printed with a MakerBot Replicator 2, painted by ME

All this preorder nonsense inspired me to hop on board the Pi train, and what a sweet ride it is.

butman

The only advantage that the NES/SNES mini have is the beautiful UI and plug&play.

In all the rest Retro Pi/PC wins.

Raysoul

Can someone rundown the total cost including the games that I need to rip off? Based on the current market value of course.

I'm just curious.

Here is the order of "purity" as I understand it when it comes to these things. ...

• Original hardware plugged directly into a CRT (SNES -> CRT)
  • Original hardware using low latency scaler to modern TV (SNES -> Scaler -> HDTV)
  • Hardware emu (FPGA solutions)
  • Cycle accurate soft emu on a PC (Higan, etc..)
  • Cycle accurate soft emu in a convenient box (Not much if anything exists here afaik, edit: seeing the post below maybe Shield TV would slot in here? Not much experience personally)
  • Official inaccurate soft emu (Virtual Console, NES/SNES Classic, internally developed and polished as such)
  • Unofficial inaccurate soft emu in a box (Retro Pi, etc...)
  • Officially licensed inaccurate soft emu (Atari 2600, Genesis cheap licensed boxes)

I guess it depends on how you define "purity" but a flawless FPGA implementation (like the Nt mini) is preferable to original hardware connected to a framemeister IMO. Not only is the native 1080p output crisper but it adds zero lag (compared to 20ms for the framemeister upscale).

I would also not be surprised if the quality of some of the NES/SNES emluators that are available on the raspberry pi are at least as good (if not better) than the official NES/SNES classic.

That said, I'm excited to buy a SNES classic, despite owning a SNES + Everdrive + PVM, as well as a bunch of different RetroPie setups.

With regards to the RetroPi ... it's nice, i guess - but the charm about the SNES mini and the NES mini is that they're Nintendo built consoles. And Nintendo built controllers. Something you don't get with a Raspberry Pi.
switch killed my faith in nintendo build quality anyway

Ninja Dom

You can soft rip ROMS bought via Wii/U/3DS VC too you know? Your crusading here is really fucking unnecessary

Listen, read my later posts.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero.

But if I don't have the SNES games, at all then the effort and cost to get to play these 20+1 games seems far higher than getting the SNES Classic.

The whole point of this thread is that this is a viable alternative to a SNES Classic.

Yeah, sure.

About the topic, I haven't interest in the SNES Classic neither get and configure a Retro Pi. Actually, I'm more interested in the Classic systems as just plain toys to decorate my workplac...I mean, my home.
my pro controller's bluetooth died in 3 weeks and around the same time the screen started peeling off of my switch. I dont really care about one funny drop test.

The NES classic did. I did it, played with it for a couple weeks, then put it away. Once it was done and set up, the fun was over. That and I couldn't get the 8bitdo pad to stay connected via bluetooth. I'd always have to do some jumping jacks to sync it every time I started it up...maybe RetroPie is better now.

I guess it depends on how you define "purity" but a flawless FPGA implementation (like the Nt mini) is preferable to original hardware connected to a framemeister IMO. Not only is the native 1080p output crisper but it adds zero lag (compared to 20ms for the framemeister upscale).

Fair. Sound emu slightly nudges me to original hardware above all else just because how weird and difficult that can be to determine, but that doesn't mean video scalers, even the really good ones, get a pass being part of the chain. In the long run my money is on FPGA hardware solutions, or something similar, being king, even above original hardware. I could even see Nintendo or Sega releasing their own FPGA unit at some point. If they are smart and the economics work out.

That said, soft emu is great and isn't going anywhere anytime soon and has loads of practical uses.

nope, got a real SNES. I am considering making a repro cart for the official Star Fox 2 release after the rom inevitably gets ripped from the SNES classic (which I am buying) though

MrMephistoX

Not really if I didn't get in on the pre-orders I'd just order internationally rather than pay scalper prices for the U.S version. $120 isn't too bad compared to $500 when you factor in International shipping.

TheMoon

But if I don't have the SNES games, at all then the effort and cost to get to play these 20+1 games seems far higher than getting the SNES Classic.

The whole point of this thread is that this is a viable alternative to a SNES Classic.

nevermind the fact that nobody has Starfox 2 ...so... base premise is impossible to achieve anyway :)

well I managed to secure a pre-order but I would pass either way.

1.add 20 of those cartridges up.
2.official SNES controllers that doesn't seem to be on sale
3.*googles retro pi SNES case*
drake-hotline-bling-jacket-moncler.png

I know I do, and until you can prove that everyone who talks about roms does not in fact own the software they are emulating, maybe keep the baseless accusations to yourself.

It has not.

It has served to remind me to upgrade from a Pi2 Retropie, something I've been meaning to do for awhile, but keep putting off.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm not planning on getting a raspberry pi anytime soon but I've bought tons of snes games, and VC games at least twice thanks to Nintendo's shitty policies.

Now they pull this shit with t he nes and snes classic, I have no problem with people using a Pi to have a single system to play their games.

BriGuy

Maybe not the proper thread, but what are the logistics of modding a SNES to output HDMI? Is it even possible? The CRT I stole from the neighbor's trash stopped working (guess it was there for a reason), so I have no means of hooking it up anymore. I'd love to do a side to side to side comparison between it, the SNES classic, and the Retropie.

A Pi probably emulates the NES better than the NES Classic does. That thing's audio is so thin sounding, and the sync is fucked too.
Maybe not the proper thread, but what are the logistics of modding a SNES to output HDMI? Is it even possible? The CRT I stole from the neighbor's trash stopped working (guess it was there for a reason), so I have no means of hooking it up anymore. I'd love to do a side to side to side comparison between it, the SNES classic, and the Retropie.
There's no mod like that available yet. Best way would be to get a RGB SCART cable for it and hook it up to a Framemeister or OSSC.

Morts

This. Getting these 20 games legit would be way more expensive than the SNES Classic, and that's before you factor in the hardware cost and the effort to put it all together.

bionic77

I'm not planning on getting a raspberry pi anytime soon but I've bought tons of snes games, and VC games at least twice thanks to Nintendo's shitty policies.

Now they pull this shit with t he nes and snes classic, I have no problem with people using a Pi to have a single system to play their games.
Why is it bullshit to charge people money to play their games on different systems?

They made the games (in most instances) so they get to decide how it is sold.

If you don't like the business model you are free to criticize it (and you can definitely bitch if you could not get a classic when you wanted one), but I am not sure about giving the green light for piracy if you don't like their business practices.

Honestly with Steam, Nintendo VC, PSN etc it seems like it is easier than it has ever been to play these games.

bionic77

A Pi probably emulates the NES better than the NES Classic does. That thing's audio is so thin sounding, and the sync is fucked too.

There's no mod like that available yet. Best way would be to get a RGB SCART cable for it and hook it up to a Framemeister or OSSC.
I never played a NES Classic but the lag is horrible on the Pi for NES games so I am skeptical of that claim that it is better emulation (though it might be true because I certainly did not test them both).

I might be extra sensitive to it because I spent 2 billion hours on NES games but they felt horrible to play on the Pi. To the point where I stopped using it. Which is a shame because as I have said multiple times the games looked beautiful on the HDTV with whatever the Pi is doing to them.

Yep, adding an HDMI output requires synchronized analog to digital conversion and scaling, preferably with minimal processing delay. Definitely qualifies as non-trivial, and certainly requires a dedicated circuit board, so at that point it's going to get done as a separate box.

OSSC is essentially the "mod" for this, so far as it's a community developed product. Framemeister is the commercial option.

I already got my own Retro Pi, the problem is I want to buy this for the family to use and the familiarity of this sort of product is what appeals to them because they have absolutely no interest in using my Pi. Same with the NES Classic.

Top Bottom