• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo's handling of the SNES Classic convinced anyone else to build a Retro Pi

jobrro

I would prefer Nintendo just put a good emulator on the Switch and say 'buy a game on the Switch and you can keep the license for future consoles'. That and modern features like rewind would make me invest deeply in the VC ecosystem rather than the ~5-10 games I bought (and 20 games from 3DS ambassador).

If we are going to have a Switch like system from Nintendo for the next 20+ years, a powerful handheld with a somewhat modern screen that can plug in to the TV I would happily buy so many retro games on that.

NES/SNES Classic are merely a blimp on the radar for me. They are novel and look cool especially with their controller but I don't need another console connected to my TV/power outlets.

bionic77

I would prefer Nintendo just put a good emulator on the Switch and say 'buy a game on the Switch and you can keep the license for future consoles'. That and modern features like rewind would make me invest deeply in the VC ecosystem rather than the ~5-10 games I bought (and 20 games from 3DS ambassador).

If we are going to have a Switch like system from Nintendo for the next 20+ years, a powerful handheld with a somewhat modern screen that can plug in to the TV I would happily buy so many retro games on that.

NES/SNES Classic are merely a blimp on the radar for me. They are novel and look cool especially with their controller but I don't need another console connected to my TV/power outlets.
I would not even care if the license carried to future consoles.

I think 8 bucks is a little much for some of the older games though (even though I have bought a few on Switch, I need that NeoTurfMasters). 5 for SNES games and 3 for NES games would hit the sweet spot for me and I would buy a ton of them on the Switch because it is a great portable and you get the added benefit of also being able to play the games on your tv.

Ninja Dom

No. But I will not judge anyone who chooses to go the emulation route instead of jumping through all those hoops to get an snes classic if all they want is to play the games rather than have a collectors item.

That's what I was saying earlier. There are still hoops to jump through.

The OP is saying that the Raspberry Pi is a good alternative to the SNES Classic especially if you aren't able to get a SNES Classic.

But for me, that requires getting all 20+1 SNES games and the equipment required to dump these games (is a PC required?) before loading them onto my Raspberry Pi. I already have a Raspberry Pi Zero.

That seems like a huge barrier of entry to play these games on my television.

kubev

I hated the Retro Pi experience. I gave it a shot after missing out on the NES Classic Edition. Setup was a serious pain in the ass. The UI is really unintuitive. Customizing your controls can be downright maddening when dealing with analog triggers. I also found myself triggering random convenience features or something while playing games by pressing certain button combinations. The whole thing was just really irritating to me.

The odd thing about all of this is that I actually think it's far less complicated and more convenient to manage and play everything on a PC, since you have a mouse and keyboard. I hate that setup on my TV, though, and I don't want to play games like this on my PC as often. That's why I really just wanted the NES Classic Edition. (I ended up settling for a Famicom Mini.) That's also why I really want the SNES Classic Edition (which I thankfully managed to pre-order from Target).

blakdeth

I missed out on the NES Classic Edition, and the way pre-orders are going for the SNES Classic Edition, I won't be surprised if I miss out on it as well.

Therefore, I am seriously considering a "retro Pi", but I have no idea where to start. Is there some consensus on the best source of parts and software for building such a thing?

My friend has one that is absolutely loaded with NES, Genesis, SNES, and some assorted Master System games. And this includes Japan-only games too, like the Gundam, DBZ, and Sailor Moon games.

Nobody said they were doing that. Can we not jump to this conclusion in every GAF emulation thread?
Except you know full well that the majority of people on GAF and elsewhere that are emulating games are using download ROM files and will have ROM’s of games they don’t own legally.

What is the accuracy like on a Pi? I saw it suggested it is cycle accurate but have a hard time believing that. Any detailed info or analysis anywhere?

IISANDERII

I really think the SNES Mini hype is the total package. If you wanted to play those games, there's been many, many, ways over the years to do so.

It's kinda like saying you'll download an mp3 of a special edition gatefold vinyl. Yes, you'll get the music but that's not really the point.
"SNES is the total package" which just uses the same ROM dumps and emulators which have been around for years while at the same time reducing options, games, functionality, capabilities and increasing the clutter in your entertainment unit.

lucius

Looks cool, seems more work than just doing Homebrew on the Wii which does great SNES/GEN etc emulation. I rather have a SNES Classic, I tried 3 different times with no luck getting one. The Rasberry Pi kit 3 on Amazon looks good, still you need to download an OS then other things. Hopefully once the dust settles next year with SNES Classic I can pick one up in the buy sell thread used for like $150, I am not supporting some scalper for like $300. The best option really should be VC on Switch but Nintendont want to do it.

The End

Spent nearly the whole day trying to get a reservation. Had one in my cart at both walmart and target and was unable to check out.

If my wife doesn't get me one for my birthday in october, i'm treating myself to a retro pi.

What is the accuracy like on a Pi? I saw it suggested it is cycle accurate but have a hard time believing that. Any detailed info or analysis anywhere?

pretty sure it uses a 7 year old version of snes9x to ensure the cpu can handle it. only higan is cycle accurate and even the performance version wouldn't have a hope in hell on running on a pi at full speed.

It's funny that we had the same thread or virtually the same posts about this when the NES Classic released last year. Didn't go too well.

As for me, no. I haven't been persuaded to buy one. I'm sure it's cheap and easy to make but I know I'm not gonna do much with it.

Fox Mulder

I made a retro pi after the NES classic shitshow it has some issues and isn't just plug and play for most people.

I later ordered a snes everdrive though. Romming it up on actual snes hardware.

Yep I've had a Pi for awhile and it's been awesome. I do most of my emulation on PC but it's nice to have a mini "console" you can just plug and play. Was hoping to get the official solution for that, but Nintendo sure as hell doesn't make it easy.

muteki

Build is almost overstating it, it is incredibly easy to have a retropie box that will play almost everything. buy a pi 3 board, flash a sd card, plug it in and voila!

It would be a neat project for an elementary school student.

Build is almost overstating it, it is incredibly easy to have a retropie box that will play almost everything. buy a pi 3 board, flash a sd card, plug it in and voila!
If you don't care about N64, PS1, or Saturn you can just get a Pi Zero W for a lot cheaper and emulate everything from 2600 to FX chip SNES to GBA as well.

A real SNES shell does.

It is a lot of work, plus it won't have a mini form factor, and the UI won't be as nice. If I want a mini shell, I'd have to get it 3D printed, and hand paint the logo.
Considering the amount of the money, time and effort, I might as well pay a scalper to get a superior product.

So, you gut a real SNES, while ripping all your real SNES games, to save money over a SNES mini?
Gut a dead SNES. You can readily buy consoles for parts and repair. If you use a Pi 3 you can emulate everything between the 2600 and PS1 easily.

Not necessarily to save money, but to refuse to give Nintendo money for their shitty practices. The satisfaction of making something useful yourself, and the ability to play every single game you own on every console and handheld from the late 70s to late 90s (and the GBA) in one place.

D.Lo

Gut a dead SNES. You can readily buy consoles for parts and repair. If you use a Pi 3 you can emulate everything between the 2600 and PS1 easily.

Not necessarily to save money, but to refuse to give Nintendo money for their shitty practices. The satisfaction of making something useful yourself, and the ability to play every single game you own on every console and handheld from the late 70s to late 90s (and the GBA) in one place.
So where do you get all the SNES games you use if you refuse to give Nintendo money?

So where do you get all the SNES games you use if you refuse to give Nintendo money?
What kind of question is this? Either you already have the carts from decades ago or you buy them from resellers today. Either way Nintendo doesn't get any more money for them.

You don't have to crusade for Nintendo or original hardware.

Obviously the best way to play these games is on original hardware on a good CRT.

Silvard

I was actually interested in picking up a SNES Classic, but Nintendo decided to botch that so now I'm looking at getting an Nvidia Shield and it might not be a bad choice all things considered.

pretty sure it uses a 7 year old version of snes9x to ensure the cpu can handle it. only higan is cycle accurate and even the performance version wouldn't have a hope in hell on running on a pi at full speed.

That's kind of the kicker, right? It is incredibly unlikely the SNES Classic will be cycle accurate. Basically a certainty that it won't. However, in a strange way, it is officially inaccurate coming directly from the source which, when combined with ease of access and UI, gives it a leg up above any other inaccurate solution.

Here is the order of "purity" as I understand it when it comes to these things. All sorts of factors such as price or convenience might shift these around in order for people. Not exactly trying to create the Commandments of emulation over here.

• Original hardware plugged directly into a CRT (SNES -> CRT)
  • Original hardware using low latency scaler to modern TV (SNES -> Scaler -> HDTV)
  • Hardware emu (FPGA solutions)
  • Cycle accurate soft emu on a PC (Higan, etc..)
  • Cycle accurate soft emu in a convenient box (Not much if anything exists here afaik, edit: seeing the post below maybe Shield TV would slot in here? Not much experience personally)
  • Official inaccurate soft emu (Virtual Console, NES/SNES Classic, internally developed and polished as such)
  • Unofficial inaccurate soft emu in a box (Retro Pi, etc...)
  • Officially licensed inaccurate soft emu (Atari 2600, Genesis cheap licensed boxes)

Cleve

Nah, I already have a shield TV with retroarch (bsnes core) on it.
Seriously, I still want a SNES mini, help me out nintendo!

i built one but the input lag with the buffalo SNES controller is fucking terrible. maybe it's the controller or something i did but the games, while playable, just aren't the same

Didn't people find a way to put more games on a NES classic? Anyone have any links with instructions? I wouldn't mind using my SNES classic for such a thing.

Atomski

Seeing how hard it is to get in the states i doubt I will ever see one in South East Asia..

I've been thinking about finally giving a pie a chance just as a media player device. Emulation would be nice to though.

BiggNife

I tried setting up a RetroPie a while ago. It's cool, but I found setting up controller configs for certain games to be a real hassle, and I wish you didn't need a bluetooth keyboard to navigate some of the options. Part of the reason I wanted a SNES classic to begin with is because of convenience.

Top Bottom