• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku & Vocaloid All-Stars Discussion | Concerts, Songs, Music making, etc

SimonM7

Maybe something like Miku Dark would work if you want a less squeaky voice, but then again it kinda falls in the husky area both Luka and Gumi occupy. Nowhere near as much, of course, as it's still Miku.

What I really like about Miku's appends is that they genuinely sound different from the base voice, especially Miku Dark (probably her only voicebank I can appreciate), which is something that got lost in other Vocaloids (cough, Luka.) because people complained the appends were too different :/

Yeah, I could literally barely tell the difference and only used Luka's "Straight" for the song I did. I guess I can understand if people want to be able to transition between the different types in a song without it being too jarring, but it's still pointless if it doesn't change at all.

I think if Miku's pronunciation has just gotten better, I'd be open to giving her a shot. "Sharing The World" is just painful to listen to, because it's not even a decent approximation of what the word "sharing" is supposed to sound like.

Yeah, I could literally barely tell the difference and only used Luka's "Straight" for the song I did. I guess I can understand if people want to be able to transition between the different types in a song without it being too jarring, but it's still pointless if it doesn't change at all.

I think if Miku's pronunciation has just gotten better, I'd be open to giving her a shot. "Sharing The World" is just painful to listen to, because it's not even a decent approximation of what the word "sharing" is supposed to sound like.

Luka English Soft is apparently the same voicebank as the Straight one with just a couple of filters applied, they didn't even bother to record a new voice. The situation is a bit better for her JP voices, especially thanks to EVEC, but then again it's nothing like the difference you have between standard Miku and append Miku.

As for Miku, unfortunately she only has that single English voicebank, the appends I was talking about are Japanese only... they're apparently working on a Miku English v2.0 though, I guess to release alongside the JP V4 update, so I can only hope Saki Fujita managed to improve her English pronunciation and that the voicebank will be better.

SimonM7

Luka English Soft is apparently the same voicebank as the Straight one with just a couple of filters applied, they didn't even bother to record a new voice. The situation is a bit better for her JP voices, especially thanks to EVEC, but then again it's nothing like the difference you have between standard Miku and append Miku.

As for Miku, unfortunately she only has that single English voicebank, the appends I was talking about are Japanese only... they're apparently working on a Miku English v2.0 though, I guess to release alongside the JP V4 update, so I can only hope Saki Fujita managed to improve her English pronunciation and that the voicebank will be better.

Yeah, I hope so, too. I am also very curious about how much you could salvage a song like "Sharing The World" by just going at it with different phonemes. Miku's "sharing" sounds more like "shiering", so I imagine you could just change the phonemes to get a much better result.

But yeah, ultimately Miku is very high pitched and that's hard to get away from. I love "Last night, good night" as a song, but towards the end of it it borders on painful to listen to. Your ears are kinda ringing afterwards.

SimonM7

http://www.mikufan.com/hatsune-miku-expo-song-contest-now-open-accepting-all-languages/#sthash.tPPpAtpc.dpbs

Crypton Future Media has announced today the Hatsune Miku Expo song contest, in search for original tracks to perform at a future Hatsune Miku Expo concert. Fans are invited to participate in the song submissions starting now on Soundcloud.

In celebration of the announcement, a two-week trial version of Hatsune Miku V3 English will be available for free on SONICWIRE.

They must have heard me. :D That's me giving English Miku a whirl then!

That contest is awesome, too. It's a snowball's chance in hell to get picked, obviously, but as an initiative it's super cool.

SimonM7

Here's the full Magical Mirai 2015 setlist courtesy of Mikufan / INSIDE:

Tell Your World - livetune (Hatsune Miku)
Raspberry*Monster - HoneyWorks (Hatsune Miku)
Nice to Meet You, Mr. Earthling - PinocchioP (Hatsune Miku)
Solitary Hide and Seek Envy - koyori (Hatsune Miku)
Love Trial - 40mP (Hatsune Miku)
Holy Lance Explosion Boy - rerulili (Kagamine Len)
Lost One’s Weeping - Neru (Kagamine Rin)
Remote Control - JesusP (Kagamine Rin & Len)
Nostalogic - yuukiss (MEIKO)
Snowman - halyosy (KAITO)
Envy catwalk - Tohma (Hatsune Miku)
Deep Sea Girl - Yuuyu (Hatsune Miku)
Sweet Devil - Hachioji P (Hatsune Miku)
2D Dream Fever - PolyphonicBranch (Hatsune Miku)
Cat Food - doriko (Hatsune Miku)
Unhappy Refrain - wowaka (Hatsune Miku)
Romeo and Cinderella - doriko (Hatsune Miku)
glow - keeno (Hatsune Miku)
Ai Dee - Mitchie M (Hatsune Miku Luka)
Just Be Friends - Dixie Flatline (Megurine Luka)
shake it! - emon (Hatsune Miku)
Packaged - livetune (Hatsune Miku)
World is Mine - ryo/supercell (Hatsune Miku)
ODDS & ENDS - ryo/supercell (Hatsune Miku)

Encores:

Hand in Hand - livetune (Hatsune Miku)
39 - sasakure.UK × DECO * 27 (Hatsune Miku)
First Sound - malo (Hatsune Miku)

Did anyone go? Was it great? :eek:

Holy Lance Explosion Boy - rerulili (Kagamine Len)
Lost One’s Weeping - Neru (Kagamine Rin)
Ai Dee - Mitchie M (Hatsune Miku Luka)

I think this all but confirms that these three will definitely be in Project Diva X.

And Leia will almost certainly be in the game too, but it's not making a comeback in the setlist. Is it that hard to get people to listen to (relatively) new Luka songs?

I think this all but confirms that these three will definitely be in Project Diva X.

And Leia will almost certainly be in the game too, but it's not making a comeback in the setlist. Is it that hard to get people to listen to (relatively) new Luka songs?
Has there historically been any correlation between what is featured at concerts and what makes it to games? Sega isn't as involved in the concerts as they used to be.

Has there historically been any correlation between what is featured at concerts and what makes it to games? Sega isn't as involved in the concerts as they used to be.

If you go back to Magical Mirai 2013, that setlist debuted at least 8 songs (by my count) that were later released in either F 2nd or Mirai 2.

As for the 2015 songs, I think these are the songs people would have predicted for these respective producers anyway based on the list of confirmed producers. There is only one possible song for rerulili x moja, and Neru and Yuyoyuppe do not have any songs more popular than these ones.

(Maybe Mitchie M is a bit more contentious but they're not going to leave a perfectly good Luka song on the table.)

dani_dc

Wasn't lucky enough to go to the concert, but I did go to the Expo.

Here's an album with pictures from the Expo.

Had a chance to play Project Diva X, which was basically more Project Diva with an addition or two.
Really wanted to try the morpheus VR project, but the lady told me there might not be enough time (this was 90 minutes before the end of the Exposition), so I gave up on it.

They had a really awesome fan made shrine where people would (temporarily) leave their Miku items, some of which worth in the hundreds or thousands. Really crazy.

At 15:39 everyone got around the shrine and clapped.

Lots of people singing/clapping towards the end too.

Might be a bit bummed that I missed the concert, but definitively glad I didn't let the expo slip by (completely forgot about it until I noticed lots of people walking around with Miku shirts).

SimonM7

Had a chance to play Project Diva X, which was basically more Project Diva with an addition or two.
Really wanted to try the morpheus VR project, but the lady told me there might not be enough time (this was 90 minutes before the end of the Exposition), so I gave up on it.

They had a really awesome fan made shrine where people would (temporarily) leave their Miku items, some of which worth in the hundreds or thousands. Really crazy.

Might be a bit bummed that I missed the concert, but definitively glad I didn't let the expo slip by (completely forgot about it until I noticed lots of people walking around with Miku shirts).

Nice! :D God I want all those figurines. Especially the one with her knee up, whatever that's called, and the Mitchie M one. I like the Mirai 2015 Miku design, but that pose came out a bit awkward in the figurine, I reckon.

In other news, I was a complete clutz and totally boned myself by activating the Miku trial when I got it. I proceeded to have all sorts of problems getting the music to come together, so now the trial is expired and it'll just have to be a Luka song anyway. :> Not a big loss, per se - I love Luka - but I was hoping to get a Miku song together. Rookie mistake! Like.. super obvious mistake that I kinda can't believe I made. Oh well!

Great pictures! What was that inflatable tub used for? I can't really tell from there, it just has some Tako Lukas floating around?

In other news, I was a complete clutz and totally boned myself by activating the Miku trial when I got it. I proceeded to have all sorts of problems getting the music to come together, so now the trial is expired and it'll just have to be a Luka song anyway. :> Not a big loss, per se - I love Luka - but I was hoping to get a Miku song together. Rookie mistake! Like.. super obvious mistake that I kinda can't believe I made. Oh well!

I always do that with trials, I end up installing them too early and just get to try them for a while without actually making anything significant. :/
If you have a second PC/laptop you could cheat and install the trial there though, I sometimes do that with my laptop. :p
__

I've added a few trials to my old post, they're all Japanese though other than the newly released Miku V3 English trial.

Also, since I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid V and "Sins of the Father" got stuck in my head I decided to start working on this, it's not perfect since there's no instrumental and imitating Donna Burke's way of singing is hard, but it's a start I guess.

SimonM7

If you have a second PC/laptop you could cheat and install the trial there though, I sometimes do that with my laptop. :p

I only have a super crappy laptop that is all about melting thighs and other surfaces the second it smells a flash ad on a websites, so it would probably be a miserable endeavour, I'm afraid. :D

Also, since I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid V and "Sins of the Father" got stuck in my head I decided to start working on this, it's not perfect since there's no instrumental and imitating Donna Burke's way of singing is hard, but it's a start I guess.

It sounds really promising, though. :eek: Having a performance to mimic makes a big difference in pursuing something natural sounding.

I've realised how helpful it can be, when you're making an original song, to even just sing the lyrics yourself, and then map the vocaloid to that. Even if you're not a great singer there are aspects of human singing; breathing, inflection and just spontaneous timing and stuff that can make a tremendous difference in making the vocaloid sound good.

It's an easy enough conclusion to come to, I'm sure, but I uh.. I may or may not have only recently arrived at it myself. :>

Tenshi

Neo Member
Been an avid vocaloid music fan and aficionado for many years and I am on the video gaming staff for several cons where I bring my Project Diva setups and host Diva tournaments. Thanks for making this thread. Subscribed

SimonM7

Just posting to say that if anyone's interested Big Fish Audio is having a discount on all the Vocaloids they offer, including Luka V4X. They all are either English only or include an English voice (Meiko, Kaito, Luka), so they should be useable by pretty much everyone. If you need to know how heavily accented their English banks are, I'd say it pretty much goes Miku -> Kaito/Meiko -> Luka, from worst to best.

Also, speaking of English Vocaloids, RUBY was released yesterday, it's a youthful and powerful voice (unfortunately it's nasal as well :/), you can find detail and demos on her store page :)

As for news, it looks like Megpoid English will be upgraded for V4 in the future, so if anyone's interested in that voicebank I'd say to wait a bit and see if anything new comes up :)

SimonM7

Thanks for the heads up, raidergale! I'm mulling over nabbing Miku. Mostly.. kinda.. just to be able to make a Miku song, to be perfectly honest. :) V4 seems a long way off still.

As for news, it looks like Megpoid English will be upgraded for V4 in the future, so if anyone's interested in that voicebank I'd say to wait a bit and see if anything new comes up :)

I'm anyone! I'll keep an eye out, for sure. If we're covering Luka's ears I think Gumi is probably my favourite, frankly.

I'm anyone! I'll keep an eye out, for sure. If we're covering Luka's ears I think Gumi is probably my favourite, frankly.

I greatly prefer Gumi to Luka to be honest :p
I realized I hadn't posted the sources for the Gumi English thing, so here are a couple of tweets by Noboru Murakami, the president of Internet.Co (the company which makes Gumi)

1, 2.

If you can't access Twitter, it basically says that they're planning an update for her English voicebank, either by the end of the year (I honestly doubt it) or next year. Somebody asked if they'll include new English appends like they did with the recently announced Japanese GUMIV4 update, but he said that it probably won't be the case as making English voices is a lot harder.
What we can expect is basically her V3 English voice with added Growl then, and maybe they'll fix her choppy transitions

SimonM7

I greatly prefer Gumi to Luka to be honest :p

Kinda me too :>

It's just a weird fanboy entanglement for me where I feel so attached to the Crypton characters/games/live performances that I like being a part of that in a tiny, tiny way.

And I do like Luka's voice, as well. I think it was a sensible choice to get her V4X bank as my first foray into this stuff.

It's been announced for a few days now, but Miku Expo dates for 2016 have been set: http://mikuexpo.com/ Japan and U.S. tour dates, and the first ever Canadian stop as well.

The Sony Centre is a great venue for this pedigree of concert in Toronto nowadays. Most importantly, it has a huge stage - which gives me hope that the Magical Mirai wide-projection format might be feasible for this tour (if not for the fact that the Hammerstein is still on the list, too).

SimonM7

...which gives me hope that the Magical Mirai wide-projection format might be feasible for this tour (if not for the fact that the Hammerstein is still on the list, too).

That would be amazing. Even though the possibility of me going to one of these things is still very remote - geographically and therefore money wise - it's kinda difficult to scale back from 2013's Mirai in terms of on-disc spectacle as well.

I'd mind it less if it didn't make the bounds of the glass wall so painfully apparent, I think. One of various benefits of the wide Mirai stage is that you really forget that it's there.

I've updated my trial collection post, I think it now has every single trial currently available. It's a bit of a mess really, I tried making it a bit more tidy by sorting them all in an alphabetical order, but since more and more trials keep getting released I might have to find a way to organize it better, it's not really that good right now when it comes to readability.

Not sure how many people are interested either way since there are only 3 English vocals there (Miku English, GUMI English and Cyber Diva), but I'd still like to make it a bit easier on the eyes :p

Maybe an additional "Japanese / English / Other" subdivision might be a good idea, but then again as I already said there are only three English voices, as for "Other" right now only Maika would fall in that category (Spanish) so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it.

YOLO'd VIP tickets to each of the New York City showings. Plans miiight change between now and then since it conflicts with two other events I usually have on my radar that weekend, but I be in NY for at least one of the two for sure.

New English VOCALOIDs Dex and Daina have been released for the limited low price of 49.99$ each (or 89.99$ if bought together). Unfortunately there's no trial available, but there are three demo songs for each voice so you can get an idea on how they sound :)

SimonM7

I'm about to pre-order the Mirai 2015 blu-ray, and don't want to mess up and order from someplace unnecessarily expensive. I used CDjapan before and have some points on my account there. Where do you guys order your stuff from? Any place you'd recommend in particular for the blu-ray releases?

I'm about to pre-order the Mirai 2015 blu-ray, and don't want to mess up and order from someplace unnecessarily expensive. I used CDjapan before and have some points on my account there. Where do you guys order your stuff from? Any place you'd recommend in particular for the blu-ray releases?
Amazon.co.jp often has a price advantage but their shipping might negate much of the savings. AmiAmi is usually a solid choice but their business model is unusual by Western standards (you can't cancel orders and you have to manually confirm your payment when they notify you by email your order is ready). I tend to rotate between those and CD Japan based on whatever extras they may have on the side.

Tenshi

Neo Member
Personally, I've always gone to CD Japan for my Vocaloid concert Blu-rays. Mostly because I almost always have nice discounts to apply to my final cost and I really like their fast turn-around time.

dani_dc

Any recommendations for good albums?
I'm basically acquainted with the game songs, so I wanted to get a bit out of that.

The only full album I know is Supercell feat. Hatsune Miku which I absolutely love.

luminous

Any recommendations for good albums?
I'm basically acquainted with the game songs, so I wanted to get a bit out of that.

The only full album I know is Supercell feat. Hatsune Miku which I absolutely love.
The EXIT TUNES Presents Vocaloseries feat. Hatsune Miku are probably worth checking out if you're not too familiar with Vocaloid, since they're mostly made of the big hits form throughout the years. I'm especially really fond of Vocalodream and Vocalosensation.

Some other of my favourites:

I Shared a Kiss with Hatsune Miku
BLURRY
Gigabanana The Best ~USUSHIO Aji~
Desktop Cinderella
IA/01 -BIRTH-, IA/02 -COLOR-, IA/03 -VISION-
TamStar presents ALL VOCALOID ATTACK #1
in the rain
Stance on Wave

SimonM7

I just finished watching the Magical Mirai 2015 concert. My blu-ray took longer than expected to arrive, and did so with a customs fee slapped on. :( Nevertheless! That doesn't change the fact that I was very happy with this, with a few exceptions.

The songs that return from Mirai 2013 generally fare worse than they did in that concert. There are very few costume changes, too, and *disappearingly* few compared to Mirai 2013, so they even come across more generic visually, despite the fact that the stage this time is *amazing*.

And the stage being amazing just heightens the stuff that works. The whole first Rin and Len block is nothing short of spectacular. It was the highlight of the entire thing for me. I was grinning so hard for the length of it, it's weird that my face isn't stuck that way.

The sound mixing isn't always great, and I think it really hurt the opening number in particular. I'm usually a sucker for Tell Your World, but here it didn't do much for me at all. It's usually a case of the vocals being really prominent and the music just sorta running together. It's too bad, but it doesn't happen to very many of the songs.

The low point was Luka. I don't think I've ever seen her shafted like this in a concert before. She was just suddenly there beside Miku in Ai Dee, and then there was a half hearted Just Be Friends and then she was out. Very, very, very disappointing - as someone who likes Luka a lot and generally gets to do backflips from her entrances in these things.

Negatives seem to be piling up in these impressions :D but I did generally like it, and it's SO LUSH. It looks flipping bonkers. Mirai 2013 is probably my go-to still for consistent quality across the board, but there are parts of this I will absolutely revisit again and again.

This post was a bit all over the place and rambly! I've just come off it and am pretty buzzed, though. :)

Oh hey, GAF has a vocaloid thread.

Thanks largely to IA/VT Colorful, my vocaloid horizons have expanded a hell of a lot recently. I'd be really grateful for some song recommendations that don't feature IA or the Cryptons, since I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed when trying to search for myself. Some of the albums that luminous posted above look great (I see GUMI / Yukari / MAYU / Lily in some of the tracklists, which are the kind of thing I'm looking for).

Thanks largely to IA/VT Colorful, my vocaloid horizons have expanded a hell of a lot recently. I'd be really grateful for some song recommendations that don't feature IA or the Cryptons, since I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed when trying to search for myself. Some of the albums that luminous posted above look great (I see GUMI / Yukari / MAYU / Lily in some of the tracklists, which are the kind of thing I'm looking for).

I'll just quote myself from the first page:

I've recently been listening to the EP

Parallel World

by Deco*27 feat. GUMI and it's really nice. GUMI sounds really pleasant with her raspy voice and there are some catchy tunes. It is a bit monotonous at times but also quite relaxing. The most popular songs of the EP are probably 'Mozaik Roll' and 'Yowamushi Mont Blanc'.
Give it a listen if you have time.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Some song recommendation. I hope you like it

Ama no Jaku- 164 feat Gumi
Yuugure Sensei - Ishifuro feat Miki
Jitter Dol - Niki feat Lily
Yoshiwara Lament - Asa feat Kasane Teto (yeah, this one is utaloid)
The day i become a monster - Rerulili feat Fukase
Living ghost is alive- Utsu feat flower

Wonko_C

First time I hear v flower and I instantly fell in love.
k_dash - frost feat. v-flower

I'll just quote myself from the first page:
I liked what I heard of DECO*27 in Diva F 2nd, so I'll definitely check this out, thanks. Mozaik Role I've come across before and thought it was good.

The first 3 links all go to the same video, but I searched YT and found the right ones! Some great picks here, especially liked Jitter Doll and Living ghost is alive. I think that's the first song I've heard from flower, so she's made a strong first impression. Thanks for the suggestions.

First time I hear v flower and I instantly fell in love.
k_dash - frost feat. v-flower
And this is a great second impression. I see why they put this on an official album, it demonstrates her range well. Thanks.

This suggestion has been made before, but the EXIT TUNES PRESENTS Vocolo_____ series tends to be very good snapshots of what is popular.

Tenshi

Neo Member
I've been importing these albums for years, but I haven't picked up the last few releases from the series. I found myself liking only about 3 to 5 tracks on them. Not enough to warrant the purchase of the whole album.

They had Miku's release date wrong by 6 years, but it was a nice read nonetheless :) I guess they meant the English voicebank :p

As a side note, the new English Vocaloid Shop is now open, it currently has the V4 editor and some V3 and V4 libraries for sale. Prices gets adjusted in your currency during checkout, while the site itself only shows Yen

SimonM7

:O I didn't notice the thread bump. Cool stuff about the english vocaloid store. When I can spare the cash I still really want at least a second vocaloid for harmonies and duets.

But the reason I went to post is that I'm finally working on a song again, and I'm having a very specific problem with Luka's pronunciation that I can't seem to figure out.

I have her singing "take my hand", and the H sound in "hand" is *so* sharp, it sounds like she's coughing a bug back up or something. I've tried cutting the word up and making the second part of it longer, but the h sound is still so loud and sharp. Any suggestions? :eek:

You could try increasing the VEL parameter for the "Hand" note, and maybe even lower the BRI parameter between the end of the previous note and the beginning of the new one. I don't have Luka V4 so I can't really test it out, but these MIGHT work as they should speed up the H sound and make it less sharp.

SimonM7

You could try increasing the VEL parameter for the "Hand" note, and maybe even lower the BRI parameter between the end of the previous note and the beginning of the new one. I don't have Luka V4 so I can't really test it out, but these MIGHT work as they should speed up the H sound and make it less sharp.

Thanks for the advice! About to try this out.

I should really goof around with these settings more. I've barely touched half of them. That's probably why she sounds rather flat and dispassionate for me. I mean Luka's vibe isn't exactly a bundle of fireworks in general, but songs certainly have her sounding more happy to be alive than mine do.

edit: Great! Worked wonderfully! Thanks again.

In other news! I noticed on YouTube that the version of Just Be Friends on the 2016 US tour was the Japanese one. That's interesting. I kinda don't rrreally have a preference, but tend to gravitate toward that one just from familiarity. To my knowledge they always did the English version in the past? Anyone know or have any ideas about why they reconsidered?

In other news! I noticed on YouTube that the version of Just Be Friends on the 2016 US tour was the Japanese one. That's interesting. I kinda don't rrreally have a preference, but tend to gravitate toward that one just from familiarity. To my knowledge they always did the English version in the past? Anyone know or have any ideas about why they reconsidered?

Just Be Friends in English was only done for Miku Expo 2014 LA and NY (four shows in two weekends) as far as I know. Mikunopolis before it used the Japanese version. It might have been a one-time license since the lyrics were licensed from another creator.

Top Bottom