• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2017 the best year for games since 1998?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
This is just one genre in 2007:

-snip-

Forgot the greatest game off all-time:
SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

Also, looks like I have to post this yet again:
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

The second half of 2016 combined with the first half of 2017 is easily the strongest 12 month period for videogames in a decade. That said, I'd probably rate 2007 higher than the calendar year 2016 or 2017.

Same. 1998 had

Half-Life
Metal Gear Solid
StarCraft
Ocarina of time
Resident Evil 2
Baldur's Gate
Xenogears
Grim Fandango
Parasite Eve
Suikoden 2
Marvel vs Capcom
Pokemon Yellow (if you want to count that)

Also in 1998

Tekken 3 (PS1 release)
Fallout 2
Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Pokémon Red and Blue (western release)
MediEvil
Final Fantasy Tactics
Gran Turismo
Thief

ctrl f "banjo-"

come on man

Aters

For me 2017 is the best, period.

I know 1998 is probably more "important", but looking at 1998's list, I'm not interested in most of those games.

As always, it's going to take time to realise how important 2017 has been. Sure the games have been fantastic but you can't compare it to 98 just yet. 98 is more special because of the amount of games that ended up greatly influencing the medium.

Not necessarily, but the first part of 2017 is definitely the best release period for games ever imho- just not sure about the entire year.

Major releases from August to December...

August:
Uncharted Lost Legacy,
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
Yakuza Kiwami
Life is Strange: Before the Storm

September
Destiny 2 (PC version in October)
Divinity: Original Sin II
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Pokken Tournament DX
Metroid: Samus Returns
Cuphead (allegedly)
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

October
Knack 2
Forza Motorsport 7
Gran Turismo Sport
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Middle-earth: Shadow of War (we'll see if the DLC doesn't destroy the game)
The Evil Within 2
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Origins
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

November
Star Wars Battlefront II
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
Need for Speed: Payback
Call of Duty: WWII

December
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I would say that 2017 is pretty stacked for the second half of the year.

Euron

2016 was a dumpster fire. Thank god that year is over. One of the all time worst for gaming.
If you only own a Nintendo console sure but a lineup of Overwatch, Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, and Doom was awesome. To me, that lineup destroys this year's.

Best years are so subjective since it's all dependent on what consoles are owned and what genres are preferred. A year that may be trash to you may be an all time great to someone else. The only years that I can remember having something for everyone were 2007 and 2011 and even that is debatable.

Phediuk

OP. I think it's a bit sad that even in your 12-game list, you had to pad things out with an FF14 expansion pack, a rerelease of a 3-year-old Mario Kart game, a remake of 20-year-old Crash Bandicoot games, and a Sonic game that's 50% old levels.

Megatron

Major releases from August to November...

August:

September
Pokken Tournament DX
Cuphead (allegedly)

October
Forza Motorsport 7
Gran Turismo Sport
The Evil Within 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Origins

November
Star Wars Battlefront II

You're missing Uncharted Lost Legacy, Mario and Luigi Superstar and Xenoblade 2 (allegedly)

Hastati

BOTW and Nier Automata alone make it the best year ever for me. No1 and No3 GOAT in the same year is hard to beat. I remember 2001 being incredible too.

That being said the last couple years have been good, and next year looks fun. Only thing I feel is missing genre-wise is a perfect successor to Diablo 2, PoE doesn't quite scratch that itch for me. Anyway it's a good time to be a gamer.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Zelda, Horizon + Nier are fantastic games that I fell in love with so yeah for me it's a great year but not the best. 2015 had Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Rocket League and plenty more other great titles. So I'd say 2015 is a better year.

I guess you could say any year is the best year for games if we're taking into consideration there's something for everyone.

Dabi

If RDR2 hit this year it would have been a no-brainer.

Still, this year should be top three at the very least since 98.

If the year ended today, it would be comparable to '98 for me. If Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, The Evil Within 2, Cuphead, Wolfenstein 2, and Xenoblade 2 all turn out to be great games, it'll be better.

Major releases from August to December...

August:
Uncharted Lost Legacy,
Yakuza Kiwami

September
Pokken Tournament DX
Cuphead (allegedly)

October
Knack 2
Forza Motorsport 7
Gran Turismo Sport
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
The Evil Within 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Assassin's Creed Origins
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

November
Star Wars Battlefront II

December
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Add PUBG to the list and you've got the best year in gaming history!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Isn’t that chart wrong.

I guess the only games that weren't released in NA during the fall and holiday seasons were GT3 and DMC1, which came out during late summer, but since we are talking about years as a whole, that doesn't really matter too much.

Javier23

Banned
I agree 2007 was overrated, you can't compare it to the sheer amount of excellence and variety of 2017.

2017 has stuff for everyone, 2007 not.
He isn't calling 2007 overrated. He's saying that one genre was stacked, so imagine all the others. There was plenty of variety that year, not sure what you're on about.

2013:
The Last of Us
GTA V
Bioshock Infinite

image.php

2004 was better than 1998

Came here to second this.

Fable, The Sims 2, Monster Hunter, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, GTA San Andreas, Half Life 2, Halo 2, Counter Strike Source, Ninja Gaiden, Katamari Damacy, Pikmin 2, Viewtful Joe, Psi-Ops The MindGate Conspiracy, UT2004, Snake Eater, Metroid Prime 2, Up Your Arsenal, and Star Wars Battlefront are enough to convince me of this.

So many of those games have had lasting importance.

2001 and 2017 come close.

Honestly I'm not even sure how I would compare any given year of games to any other year of games for myself, let alone guess at a consensus opinion for same. I definitely think 2017 has been fantastic, though.

Hm, no, not in my opinion, this is one of the slower years for games for me. But I'm not really into most of the games in the OP.

My best game so far this year is Prey. I liked Zelda too, but I never quite hooked me. I'll get Mario as well.

I'd easily put 2001 over this year. I'd also put 2007 and 2004 over it as well. Probably some other years if I looked at release dates. Doubt anything will ever top 1998 for me though.

It's fine to get hype about specific years — I do all the time — but as soon as you start comparing them and have a discussion about it across many users and years it gets a little silly. As if even half of us have played all of the highlights from 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2017, etc. + a little extra in case there's that one forgotten game that you actually really love.

He isn't calling 2007 overrated. He's saying that one genre was stacked, so imagine all the others. There was plenty of variety that year, not sure what you're on about.

He was calling out the "imagine the others" argument as stealth cherry picking, and that actually the FPS genre of that year in quantity and quality wasn't representative of the overall year. I tend to agree.

orborborb

Resident Evil 7 VR and Nex Machina made it into my top 100, and Breath of the Wild and Sonic Manic were very good, but I still spent most of my time with Destiny Crucible and Doom 2016 multiplayer over all the other games I tried. The last few years all had a lot more 9/10 games for me.

Sami+

I mean honestly... Not really. This has been a pretty good year to be sure with the launch of the Switch and Zelda with Mario on the way but at the same time Microsoft has completely failed to bring anything new to the table this year and thats WITH an upgraded Xbox One coming out as well. A truly great year has all platforms doing extremely well or at least having notable titles Microsoft certainly lacks that.

Also many titles that were originally coming out this year like Ni No Kuni 2 have been delayed to next year, not to mention on the Microsoft wagon we just had Crackdown 3 delayed as well.

The start of this year was really impressive and seemed to be signaling that this year would be truly impressive but delays hurt the second half of this year hard but even then I take exception to a few of the games you mentioned on your original list. Mario Kart 8 is a great port and I'm glad its here but it doesn't make this year any better, it helps Switch sure but I don't think you can argue if it had been Mario Kart 9 instead that wouldn't have just been better all around.

Then you have games like Persona 5 which have sold really well but have had extremely mixed reactions from fans. Myself included, I ended up extremely disappointed in the game and its writing.

So yeah a good year to be sure but the second half certainly isn't nearly as good as the first outside of a few specific titles, and this is also the year that brought some rather terrible sequels to once great series like Mass Effect as well.

What? That's a dumb rule. If I don't have or want an Xbox what reason could I possibly have to care about what MS is bringing to the table when it comes to judging how good the year was overall?

The Dishonored standalone is sorely missing from that list.

Forgot about that one..

Also, the smaller gems of this year need more love. Games like Nex Machina and Hollow Knight.

Yeah, there are a lot of smaller indie titles to look forward to this year as well. Honestly, one game that is slated for 2017 that I am waiting for is Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove which is suppose to be published by Adult Swim Games. Though development has been pretty quiet since the beginning of the year.

Also, I love that Night Trap got a remaster in 2017. Yet again, not a game tat many people care about.

I've been into video games since the late 80's (yeah, I'm getting old) and this is definitely up there with the best years ever. Almost all of the promising games have turned out good to great and there's been more than a few titles exceeding expectations. And we still have some big hitters coming.
It's been quite overwhelming after getting used to the more leaner recent years.

Blam

Maybe a little too early to tell, but it's been really good so far:

-Breath of the Wild
-Horizon
-Yakuza 0
-Nier Automata
-Persona 5
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Stormblood
-Sonic Mania
-Splatoon 2
-New 3D Mario
-Crash Bandicoot Revival
-Tekken 7
-Resident Evil VII

It's got something for everyone. I haven't had this much fun playing games since 1998. This year has been awesome.

Nah not really nothing here is really truely groundbreaking.

I thought 2017 was great, but then i look at 2018 and dammmm

Ni No Kuni 2
Yakuza 6
God of war
Spiderman
Kingdom hearts 3
Red dead redemption 2
Sea of thives
Crackdown 3
Anthem
Dragon Quest 11
Days Gone
Metro Exodus
Detroit became human
Far cry 5
Ori 2

And nintendo games :)

This makes me sad. I loved this year for games but out of your whole list my only must-haves are spider-man, kh3, and anthem. And I'm pretty sure kh3 and Anthem will be pushed to 2019 lol

Then again not so sad because it'll probably take me till 2019 to get through all the games ive bought this year!

Top Bottom