• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2017 the best year for games since 1998?

kunonabi

It's a good year thanks to the PS4's early schedule and the 3DS but kind of weak as far as the Switch and XBone go. Switch will get a nice boost at the end of the year though.

Best since 98 is a real stretch.

Kill3r7

What was so great about 1998?

I prefer 2017 easily.

My fave year for gaming is like 1991 though.

Half Life, MGS, OoT, Banjo, Starcraft, Fallout 2, RE2, BG, Thief, Grim Fandango, Xenogears, PE, Rainbow Six, Panzer Dragoon Saga, GT, FFT, Tekken 3 and many, many more.

NewDust

It's an amazing year if you look at niche games, probably the best ever. Games with a wider appeal are also great, but we will see if they will be regarded as classics in the coming years. If so, this will be the best year,with the side note that quality overall was great, but without really ground breaking titles.

This year's has been okay. Breath of the Wild has been pretty much the only release this year that has impressed me by doing some very unconventional things in it's genre. Most everything else is just prettier versions of last year's games. Was hoping RDR2 and Spiderman were coming this year but that didn't happen so..meh

Edit: Prey was a good surprise too I will admit.

Voidwolf

No Prey or Battlefront 2 on that list... In any case 98 brought OoT and MGS so it's a hard year to beat, BotW only covers one half of that.

1998 js hard to top because of their importance, but this year is easily the best since.We've already gotten many quality releases and there is still 1/3 of the year left.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Probably since about 2001 for me, been pretty happy with what I've played so far and this is the first year where I played more new than old:

-Nier Automata
-Zelda
-Persona 5
-Trails in the Sky: The 3rd
-Cosmic Star Heroine
-Splatoon 2
-Sonic Mania

and coming soon
-Ys 8
-Zwei 2
-Mario Odyssey
-Xenoblade 2

Just wish we got a US release of DQ11 this year!

Also, looks like I have to post this yet again:
28590845283_9bd5d77b7d_b.jpg

Everytime I see that, I always have to make the corrections that: 1) Gran Turismo 3 wasn't a fall/holiday game, 2) Silent Hill 2 and Baldur's Gate weren't exclusives. ;)

redfox088

Banned
No mention of PubG? Early access or not that along with the switch, Starfox 2, Zelda,Sonic.....2017 is the greatest year ever.

mrmickfran

I think it's the best year overall.

The first year I have not 2 but three potential titles battling it out for GOTY.

Breath of the Wild
Persona 5
Super Mario Odyssey

Most likely going to give it to Persona 5, but this is the first time that I've ever had to think about it.

Other notable great games this year:

Sonic Mania
Horizon
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata
Nioh

Yup. We're also getting Destiny 2, Evil Within 2 and a new Wolfenstein. Even if those don't deliver, it was still a fantastic year.

To be honest, this generation shits all over the last generation as a whole. Last gen was dreary as shit. And I say this as someone who loved their PS3, Wii and DS.
Especially if you liked Japanese games or games where you didn't use 100000 bullets by the end of it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
For me? No, it's been average to bad.

Read the first two words before quoting my post and telling me I'm wrong.
It's been a bad year for games for me SO FAR.

JCHandsom

This has been an excellent year, but it has to compete with the likes of 2007, 2004, 2001, and 1998. It would take a comprehensive blow for blow comparison between each year for me to say which one was really on top.

Yes. Been gaming since the days of the original NES. The amount of fun I'm having now is just amazing. Best year of games ever for me.

Yup. We're also getting Destiny 2, Evil Within 2 and a new Wolfenstein. Even if those don't deliver, it was still a fantastic year.

To be honest, this generation shits all over the last generation as a whole. Last gen was dreary as shit. And I say this as someone who loved their PS3, Wii and DS.
Especially if you liked Japanese games or games where you didn't use 100000 bullets by the end of it.

The fact that the last consensus for an "amazing year" is 10 years back in 2007 says everything about last gen. Now we seem to get two years back to back that blow it out of the water.

Could be. It got a damn good first few innings in, I know that much.

I think it's the best year overall.

The first year I have not 2 but three potential titles battling it out for GOTY.

Breath of the Wild
Persona 5
Super Mario Odyssey

Most likely going to give it to Persona 5, but this is the first time that I've ever had to think about it.

Other notable great games this year:

Sonic Mania
Horizon
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata
Nioh

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Sjefen

Persona 5, Nioh and Horizon zero dawn released this year, 3 really good games in their own respective genre. certainly one of the best years of gaming.

To those of you saying there's not much groundbreaking: you may be right, but it's also hard to appreciate something's influence until time has passed. It may be that the year contains many great games, but no huge influences, but I also wouldn't be surprised considering 3D has been a thing for a while now and the newer experiences at the moment could be in VR. At the same time, in 2017, I'm now seeing the influence Last of Us has despite the game now being four years old. I didn't really even consider Halo groundbreaking in 2001 until I saw what it did to FPS games on consoles over the years. At the time, it was a critically acclaimed FPS, but not a game to which I understood its impact that generation as a whole until years had passed.

But as I said, years down the line, we may look back and simply think 2017 had a lot of fantastic games, a steady stream month after month, with only a few being big influences, but only time will tell if anybody docks it for that. I don't find that the SNES and Genesis were as groundbreaking in terms of genres as the NES, but I find what they delivered to be better than every 2D system that preceded it. Super Mario World didn't have the influence Super Mario Bros had, but I'll be damned if I decided the latter is a better game than the former. JRPGs had been a thing for years, but I can't put NES Final Fantasy games over SNES ones. That kind of thing.

Woah, I missed this. Hahaha!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
We're getting a new mainline Mario, Metroid and Zelda in the same year, so that alone is pretty huge. But there have been other great games already like Nioh and RE7 VR. I still have to play some heavy hitters like Horizon and Nier and the fall is stacked too. Most years have been stacked, for me the first lean year I remember is 2012. So many great games coming out all the time.

Ever objectively? Lets wait until the end of the year before we come to that conclusion.

For me so far? It's the best year ever in my lifetime and in my time playing games (20 years this year).

No matter what, though we can easily say that calendar Q1 2017 was easily the greatest three month period of games released ever. Holy fuck it was intense.

Nope if you only has a vita.
I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not, but 2017 has been a particularly good year for Vita. Lots of quality releases on the platform, and September is just insane for Vita titles. Ys VIII, Danganronpa V3, Summon Night 6, Utawarerumono, Mary Smelter, and Chaos;Child all release this upcoming month. Plus we had Ys Origin, Utawarerumono pt.1, Hakuoki, a bunch of other Otome stuff, Undertale...I'm sure I'm forgetting something but there's been a lot of good vita games this year

Espada

Let's wait until 2017 ends before we make grand statements like that. That said, the year so far has been amazing. Excellent titles across multiple genres, price points, and production value levels. Looking at what's coming from now until the end of the year I do suspect 2017 will go down as one of the best in the medium's history.

I don't understand people who lust for revolutionary games and disparage years that "merely" provide excellence on a consistent basis.

Rathorial

Well 2017 is a pretty good year because less than half OP's list of games I am personally into...yet I can list a cluster of other titles that grabbed me in a year where fall hasn't even started.

I got a new Immersive Sim from Arkane through Prey(my GOTY), and an expansion to Dishonored 2 on the way...2 immersive sims in any year is incredible to me, so 2016 was nice too. X-COM 2 is getting an expansion on the same day Ubisoft is making cutesy X-COM that looks actually good. Horizon and Persona 5 gave my PS4 a purpose, and I haven't got to Nioh even.

Nintendo got me to like Zelda again, Arms and Splatoon 2 are fun, and a 3D Mario is hitting in fall. Indies have been solid with stuff like Pyre, Aztez, Oxygen Not Included, Hollow Knight, etc. with more on the way like Divinity: Original Sin 2 and RUINER(hopefully).
I've had great games from last year I've caught up on like Tyranny and Overcooked.

1998 had more landmark titles doing very new things, but 2017 has more variety because the industry is just bigger/more competitive. Honestly with indies and smaller publishers filling in the gap of mid-tier games, this whole gen has been a huge improvement for me over the 360/PS3 gen.

Sizzel

No. One game released this year so far will be remembered , Zelda. The niche games like Yakuza and Persona will have their fans, but not mainstream. There has been no Half-Life 2, The Last of Us, Witcher 3, World of Warcraft etc.. Mario or Xeno could change this and Destiny 2 will probably be locked in people's rotations for years, but no epic games save perhaps Zelda so far.

A lot of ok to good games doesn't a great year make for me, what games will still be on lists in 10 years from 2017? Time will tell, but I think extremely few.

For reference games that(I think) will be listed for the ages..there were a lot of games I liked that I didn't list, but I don't think will be "legendary"..loved for sure though and alive in enthusiast memories. This just my opinion and I am often objectively wrong.
2016 - Overwatch
2015- Witcher 3, Bloodborne, rocket league
2014 - Destiny, Divinity, Hearthstone
2013 -TLoU, GTAV, DOTA2,
2012- CS:GO, Borderlands 2
And so on and so forth.

PaulBizkit

2001 and 2013 were fire too

but yeah, 2017 is pretty awesome

2001 was good but 2013 only had GTAV and The Last Of Us...

The best year was 2007, then 2017 and then 1998/2001

game-pc-terbaik-2017_yrjd86.jpg

1998 was great for RE2 and MGS, i dont like zeldas. 2001 was good because of mgs2 and ico

I personally hated 2007. For me it was a dark time for my taste in games. Thankfully 2008 fixed that with MGS4, GTA, DMC & some Ninja Gaiden 2.

Top Bottom