• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel and Hamas might be going to war again (this time with live tweeting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the tweeting is hilarious. It boils their disputes down to what they really are . . . pathetic whining flamewars between douchebag ideologues.

commedieu

Banned
I think the tweeting is hilarious. It boils their disputes down to what they really are . . . pathetic whining flamewars between douchebag ideologues.

so true. so very true. Brilliant find actually hehe... it does show what this is. And its so beautiful that twitter has a character limit. Just boils it down even more.

I'll check the updates from my bunker in the middle of the woods in northern canada when the nukes fall on the east coast...

dang.... I kinda wished we had this in WWII...

#D-day

Edit -

well there you go Coolio

RT by UK
@USA: No, really Japan, surrender
#firewillraindown

Hyperbole.

Since 2000, at least 4,000 Palestinians have died. And if we're talking ratio here, the total number of Israelis,both civilians and Israeli Defence Force (IDF) combatants, killed by Palestinian armed groups and individuals, is declining. In contrast the total number of Palestinians, both civilians and combatants killed by the Israeli security forces or Israeli individuals, remains relatively high. In 2007, for example, for every one Israeli death there were 25 Palestinian deaths compared to 2002 when the ratio was 1:2.5.

Source

In a 3 week period alone in 2009, over 1,000 Palestinians were killed in total.

Source

This isn't to suggest the IDF is targeting mass civilian figures intentionally, but it is unquestionable that there is a dramatic contrast in figures between the number of dead people. Israel focuses on the figure of rocket attacks instead for obvious reasons

The triumph of hope over experience.

It depends on what you deem that status quo. The current status quo, oslo isn't even 20 years old.

This isn't to suggest the IDF is targeting mass civilian figures intentionally, but it is unquestionable that there is a dramatic contrast in figures between the number of dead people. Israel focuses on the figure of rocket attacks instead for obvious reasons
No doubt, Gaza rockets are like toys compared to Israel's modern military.

SKINNER!

Banned
It seems some form of ground operation has started in Gaza.

BBC said:
2119:The US backs Israel's right to self-defence, but "we encourage Israel to continue to take every effort to avoid civilian casualties", the State Department says in a statement.

2115: Israeli public radio station Voice of Israel Network B is reporting that citizens within seven kilometres of the Gaza Strip have been asked not to report to work tomorrow. Shopping centres will not be open to the public either. All public events within 40 km from the Gaza Strip have also been cancelled. (via BBC Monitoring)

Avital Leibovich, IDF spokesperson tweets: No school tomorrow for kids in the range of 40kms from #Gaza.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20328799

Looks like something is going to happen tomorrow.

Al-ibn Kermit

You're making the assumption they are lying. You're claiming what they say is false, the burden of proof is now on you.

No not really, actually the easiest thing to believe is that a gay man would be killed in police custody rather than go all the way to trial with a bullshit drug/rape charge.

But that's inside of Iran and Iran is a sovereign state so it's not applicable to this situation.

Hi.

Since when were governments under the obligation to tell the truth to people. I think never is the answer to that. The claim was that they had a law, they dont.

Since the 1979 Iranian revolution, the legal code has been based on Islamic Shari'a law. All sexual relations that occur outside a traditional, heterosexual marriage (i.e. sodomy or adultery) are illegal and no legal distinction is made between consensual or non-consensual sodomy. Homosexual relations that occur between consenting adults in private are a crime and carry a maximum punishment of death

Oh?

Since 2000, at least 4,000 Palestinians have died. And if we're talking ratio here, the total number of Israelis,both civilians and Israeli Defence Force (IDF) combatants, killed by Palestinian armed groups and individuals, is declining. In contrast the total number of Palestinians, both civilians and combatants killed by the Israeli security forces or Israeli individuals, remains relatively high. In 2007, for example, for every one Israeli death there were 25 Palestinian deaths compared to 2002 when the ratio was 1:2.5.

He mentioned Hamas specifically, not palestinians.

Again there is this great disconnect here where people fail to grasp the great differences between PA Arabs and Hamas.

Israel is going to do to the Middle East what Hitler did to Europe.

A country full of scumbag leaders.

smh

Ok guys, thread's over.

Unconfirmed reports of rockets reaching Tel Aviv.

Israeli military censor will be all over this, so hard to know whats going on really.

Edit : No tweets or anything from international press in Tel Aviv, so probably false. Expect lots of propaganda from both sides.

beast786

I quoted from your link to the Wikipedia about LGBT rights in iran. In it and as said by the president of IRAN. There are no laws. PERIOD.

If you can show a very simple fact about where does in the IRAN LAW it says to execute LGBT.

Shouldn't be that hard.

How would a messy war help a party that's already got a reputation as war hawks?

Perpetual war state during elections benefits the ruling party, justifies future aggression, keeps people scared/on edge, etc. Same reason Bin Laden used to always magically release taunting videos before US elections.

No doubt, Gaza rockets are like toys compared to Israel's modern military.

The rockets have killed, and indeed have the capacity for high casualties, which is why the figure of rockets is often publicised by Israel to legitimise their case of self-defence. The IDF aren't going to say "In response to the rockets, four Palestinians for every Israeli die because of our airstrikes. Support Israel". But Gaza is the most densely populated area in the world. Regardless of how hard Israel tries to avoid collateral, it will it responsible for a higher civilian death count, which only perpetuates the cycle of violence even more.

soul

You people are hilarious. Approx. 90% of the posts here dismiss the fact that over 100 missiles were fired to Israeli towns by saying it didn't kill/injure anyone. Would any country in the world agree to such a thing? The Hamas government has taken over 1 million Israeli civilians hostage and for the past month (I won't even start talking about the past 12 years, just recent past that triggered the operation) has fired approx. 500 missiles on and off while the I.D.F. didn't respond. By the way, no one here even mentioned over 70 rockets were fired ever since the terrorist has been taken out.

Some videos I did not see here, all from today:

Iron Dome live interception - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tQ2Dh1E9bsQ

Four missiles intercepted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NL1RDnhDyso

A rocket attack at Be'er Sheva (largest southern Israeli city) - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151145480557832

More missiles - https://www.facebook.com/MizbalaBlog/posts/297778340322462

One of today's targets: the Faj'r 5 missile (can reach Israeli biggest city - Tel Aviv) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hFp0Efv5lnI

Seriously, after seeing these videos from just today, try imagining your lives living under the threat of constant missile attack. The people there are being randomly targeted on a daily basis.

By the way, even right now while I finish writing this post the news channels in Israel broadcasts another live missile attack.

Oh?
He mentioned Hamas specifically, not palestinians.

Again there is this great disconnect here where people fail to grasp the great differences between PA Arabs and Hamas.

I'm sorry, I dont think I understand? I read his comment as "more Palestinians killed by IDF than Israelis killed"

You people are hilarious. Approx. 90% of the posts here dismiss the fact that over 100 missiles were fired to Israeli towns by saying it didn't kill/injure anyone. Would any country in the world agree to such a thing? The Hamas government has taken over 1 million Israeli civilians hostage and for the past month (I won't even start talking about the past 12 years, just recent past that triggered the operation) has fired approx. 500 missiles on and off while the I.D.F. didn't respond. By the way, no one here even mentioned over 70 rockets were fired ever since the terrorist has been taken out.

Some videos I did not see here, all from today:

Iron Dome live interception - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tQ2Dh1E9bsQ

Four missiles intercepted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NL1RDnhDyso

A rocket attack at Be'er Sheva (largest southern Israeli city) - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151145480557832

More missiles - https://www.facebook.com/MizbalaBlog/posts/297778340322462

One of today's targets: the Faj'r 5 missile (can reach Israeli biggest city - Tel Aviv) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hFp0Efv5lnI

Seriously, after seeing these videos from just today, try imagining your lives living under the threat of constant missile attack. The people there are being randomly targeted on a daily basis.

By the way, even right now while I finish writing this post the news channels in Israel broadcasts another live missile attack.

No one is defending or ignoring this, or suggesting that Israeli was wrong in responding. It's just that often, the Israeli response sees more casualties than the rockets themselves.

Unconfirmed reports of rockets reaching Tel Aviv.

Israeli military censor will be all over this, so hard to know whats going on really.

Probably an error, check out all the updates here.

I quoted from your link to the Wikipedia about LGBT rights in iran. In it and as said by the president of IRAN. There are no laws. PERIOD.

If you can show a very simple fact about where does in the IRAN LAW it says to execute LGBT.

Shouldn't be that hard.

I showed you a simple fact, Iranian law is based on Sharia law. Did you even read my post?

So whats Israel's game plan? Rile up hamas, then get their propaganda machine rolling to create public opinion against a Palestine state?

Hamas has nothing to do with a Palestinian State, they are essentially at war with the PA/Fatah.

-----

In other news, Obama out in support for Israel. Wonder how many in the Hamas/Terrorist Defense Force here voted for him...?

beast786

Have you ever imagined living in Palestine? But actual dropping of bombs from sky high down in your house..

have you imagined ever living in a militant occupation ....

Chichikov

How would a messy war help a party that's already got a reputation as war hawks?
In Israeli politics, war helps the hardliners.
Natanyahu don't want a discussion about his failed economic policies so he starts some shit with the Hamas.
Nothing had changed in the last few days, the entire south of Israel is getting hit by rockets for years and for the most part non one gives a shit.

The last Gaza war also started a couple of months before an election, but I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Part of this I think could be Israel destroying Hamas ability to retaliate against a future Israeli operation against the Iranian nuclear facilities.

Chichikov

Part of this I think could be Israel destroying Hamas ability to retaliate against a future Israeli operation against the Iranian nuclear facilities.
If Israel had the ability to stop the Hamas missile attacks they would've done so.
This is bullshit pre-election chest thumping.
Sadly, it will get people killed.

Hamas is a Sunni organization. Iran is a Shia-ruled country.
So, unlikely.
They're targeting what they think are rocket bunkers to stop retaliation for the assassination. As usual, this comes with tons of civilian casualties and provides ample cause for more people to become radicalized and reinforce whatever manpower the insurgents have lost today.

Zaphod

http://twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson/status/268804301923692544/photo/1

Not condoning actions, but I'm surprised there isn't more anger against Hamas in this thread. They are the ones setting up in the middle of cities and shooting at Israel.

They pick their sites to shoot from with the knowledge that Israel will attack that spot and it seems like they hope for collateral damage because it paints Israel in a negative light. It seems to go ignored that these people are shooting rockets at civilians in Israel as well.

Again, not condoning Israel's actions, but can you expect them to sit there and just try and shoot every rocket down forever?

I'm not condoning Hamas's actions and I see the rocket launches as stupid and dangerous but where are they supposed to launch them from? I don't think it's very safe just walk out into an open field with a big target on their back to go launch the rockets.

Chichikov

Anytime you are murdering massive amount of civilians due to their race/religion the comparison is deserved and not "a bit much" in any manner.
It's a historically flimsy comparison, and maybe more importantly, it divert the discussion to that comparison instead of what going on in Gaza right now, as evident by this very thread.

Kettch

2119:The US backs Israel's right to self-defence, but "we encourage Israel to continue to take every effort to avoid civilian casualties", the State Department says in a statement.

I'm sure they'll take as much care to avoid civilian non-military age male casualties as we do.

soul

People are dying and you're trying to double-check the score.

I couldn't care less of any score, but people are ignoring the rockets fired on Israeli civilians just because they didn't kill or injure anyone, people need to stop seeing Palestinians as "innocent" bystanders.

No one is defending or ignoring this, or suggesting that Israeli was wrong in responding. It's just that often, the Israeli response sees more casualties than the rockets themselves.

When terrorists stop hiding behind civilians, civilians will stop getting hurt in the process. I won't even start posting how many civilians the U.S. has killed by mistake in it's war in Iraq, for example, when they tried to target terrorists.

Have you ever imagined living in Palestine? But actual dropping of bombs from sky high down in your house..

have you imagined ever living in a militant occupation ....

The arabs living in the Gaza strip aren't living in occupation, Israel left already, and in fact, they prefer to stockpile arms with the money EU/US/Israel (yes, just recently Israel sent over 300 million dollar) gives them. 90& of the power, communication (cellphone and network) and even water they get is from Israel yet they keep firing instead of trying to achieve peace, because they simply do not believe Israel should exist. Stop making excuses and keep trying to make everyone believe they are so innocent, they simply don't want any Jews alive in the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom