• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

Saw it tonight. This was one of those movies that I somehow had
never seen
. really really good

strafer

Impressive packaging.

gq17F.jpg

http://www.filmarena.cz/blu-ray-titanic-3d-2d-fifteenth-anniversary-special-collectors-edition

strafer

So regarding the titanic DVD, the black bars are huge, is the widescreen really that wide? It's kinda annoying, takes up half the screen.

jett

D-Member
So regarding the titanic DVD, the black bars are huge, is the widescreen really that wide? It's kinda annoying, takes up half the screen.

The first DVD that was released had non-anamorphic video, maybe it's not displaying correctly on your widescreen TV? The movie is regular 2.35:1

strafer

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/titanic-3d.html

Don't know whether this is old or new but here is some info.

Further Details:
We've got some early news from Paramount concerning the 3D release of James Cameron's Titanic, along with a new 2D release that promises hours of extra material.

Four-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack:
The Titanic Blu-ray containing the feature film is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. The DVDs are presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

The disc breakdown is as follows:
Disc 1 (Blu-ray):
Feature film in high definition
Commentary by director James Cameron
Cast and Crew Commentary
Historical Commentary by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall

Disc 2 and 3 (DVD):
Feature film in standard definition (Part 1)
Feature film in standard definition (Part 2)

Disc 4 Extras (Blu-ray):
Reflections on Titanic — NEW!
Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron — NEW!
Deleted Scenes with commentary by James Cameron
Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
Construction Timelapse
Deep Dive Presentation—Narrated by James Cameron
$200,000,001: A Ship’s Odyssey—the Titanic Crew Video
Videomatics
Visual Effects
Music Video—“My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
Trailers
TV Spots
Still Galleries
Titanic Scriptment by James Cameron
Storyboard Sequences
Production Artwork
Photographs
Ken Marshall’s Painting Gallery
Concept Posters and One Sheets
By the Numbers
Bibliography
MTV’s 1998 Movie Awards skit
Saturday Night Live skit
Titanic in 30 Seconds

Four-Disc Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack:
The Titanic Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray containing the feature film are presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles.

Discs 1 and 2 (Blu-ray 3D):
Feature film in high definition and 3D (Part 1)
Feature film in high definition and 3D (Part 2)

Disc 3 (Blu-ray):
Feature film in high definition
Commentary by director James Cameron
Cast and Crew Commentary
Historical Commentary by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall

Disc 4 (Blu-ray):
Reflections on Titanic—NEW!
Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron—NEW!
Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
Construction Timelapse
Deep Dive Presentation—Narrated by James Cameron
$200,000,001: A Ship’s Odyssey—the Titanic Crew Video
Videomatics
Visual Effects
Music Video—“My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
Trailers
TV Spots
Titanic Scriptment by James Cameron
Storyboard Sequences
Production Artwork
Photographs
Ken Marshall’s Painting Gallery
Concept Posters and One Sheets
By the Numbers
Bibliography
MTV’s 1998 Movie Awards skit
Saturday Night Live skit
Titanic in 30 Seconds

Two-Disc DVD:
The Titanic DVDs are presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French and Spanish subtitles.

Discs 1 and 2 (DVD):
Feature film in standard definition (Part 1)
Feature film in standard definition (Part 2)

The digital download includes the following:
Feature film in standard or high definition
Deleted Scenes
Still Galleries

2 hours never before seen footage, holy shit.

First review out

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Titanic-3D-Blu-ray/7548/#Review

4.5 stars Video
5 stars 3D
5 stars Audio
5 stars Extras

It's when the action shifts to 1912, however, that the image really puts on a show. The bustling docks spring to life like never before as the crowds of people take on a very real, evident shape even as they're packed together and hurriedly moving about. Rose's reveal is defined by the shape of her hat, which transforms from flat 2D to a beautifully voluminous object in 3D. Of course, the splendor of the ship is striking. Its length and width and promise of power are conveyed perfectly in 3D. Whether at the docks, out at sea, or while meeting its tragic fate, the scope of the entire thing will amaze audiences no matter its place or condition in the movie. The interiors prove just as impressive, if not more so. The size of the engine room and the heavy-duty machinery churning up and down is captured in 3D with a sense of size and rhythm that simply cannot be experienced in two dimensions

DAT IMMERSION!

SCREW THE 3D HATERS!

I think I saw another review on AVS forum that seemed more in line with my expectations. Great across the board for the 2D version and slightly marked down for the 3D version, which I would agree with. Fuck the 3D conversion.

I think I saw another review on AVS forum that seemed more in line with my expectations. Great across the board for the 2D version and slightly marked down for the 3D version, which I would agree with. Fuck the 3D conversion.

Um... NO!

From AVS review:

There is little use of 3D imagery that goes well beyond the screen’s borders but natural dimension abounds which enhances the “being there” effect. I wasn’t drawn out of the film by odd looking proportions or hokey 3D for 3D’s sake. In fact I would say that it was just the opposite. Comparing color and fleshtone reproduction to the 2D presentation I found the 3D presentation to be just a tad warmer but not unnaturally so. The rendering of detail and clarity is identical. I couldn’t help but feel a slight preference for the 3D version but that is probably more of a placebo effect. You can’t go wrong either way.

3D > 2D.

Um... NO!

From AVS review:

3D > 2D.

Well it was another review then.

Either way, the 3D conversion definitely detracts from the film. The floating corpses scene had a lot of ghosting in theatres. It was the final nail in the coffin for me giving 3D conversions the time of day.

Well it was another review then.

Either way, the 3D conversion definitely detracts from the film. The floating corpses scene had a lot of ghosting in theatres. It was the final nail in the coffin for me giving 3D conversions the time of day.

So you're writing off 3D conversions entirely due to artifacts in ONE scene? If other movies get the Titanic 3D treatment... you're going to rail against it???

Conversion 3D is my only hope of getting Jurassic Park, Speed Racer, and Matrix in 3D.

So you're writing off 3D conversions entirely due to artifacts in ONE scene? If other movies get the Titanic 3D treatment... you're going to rail against it???

Conversion 3D is my only hope of getting Jurassic Park, Speed Racer, and Matrix in 3D.

It wasn't just that scene, but that is where it was very prominent.

But I've never liked the idea of conversion because the source image for the second eye doesn't exist. It's as silly to me as motion interpolation on televisions, only you're paying extra for it. I waited for Titanic 3D to finally make up my mind because I knew if anybody could convince me that a 3D conversion could be good, it was Cameron - especially given how much time and effort they put into it. And it didn't convince me. Films shot for 2D presentation should be presented in 2D. If something wasn't shot with 3D in mind, then it makes zero sense (outside of bleeding the audience for more money) to show it in 3D.

strafer

There is three specific scenes that always get me, always.

1. The montage leading up to the mom putting her kids to sleep.

2. When Rose tells Jack the boats are coming, but doesn't wake up.

3. When they show the pictures of young Rose and the camera pans down to the wreck.

dat James Cameron

StuBurns

Banned
Watched the bluray, stunning stuff.

There's a shot I've never noticed before, (or at least it didn't stick with me), of a woman floating dead in a room, very calm, beautiful shot. It's just before lots of plates smash, and just after Rose mentions she and Jack are back where they first met. It's one of the best shots I've ever seen, incredible.

Very impressed with the disc, and still an amazing film.

What is really funny is that I'm friends with somebody who has driven for Cameron while he's been in Aus over the last year. Says he was really nice.

lol people looked at me when I picked this up

I was at a trivia night once where they play the honesty game. The MC will say 'sit down if you have..' and then the last person standing wins. It was down to me and two other guys and he said 'Sit down if you have cried watching Titanic.' I sat down and brought the place down with me. They gave me a sweet $50 prize for having the balls to admit that to a room of a good hundred or so people. Got a lot of lady winks because I'M AN EIGHTIES GUY [/Lethal Weapon Cop]

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought the 3D edition today. Best part of it? No pig-disgusting DVDs infecting the package :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom