• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREMSteve

6nDla.png

I hate the world we live in today.

Yeah, no way. They'll cross the billion mark then that's about it.

Maybe if it hadn't been split into three films The Hobbit (second part) would do better.

In any case, I think you are dramatically underestimating the Worldwide market for LotR. It has a decent shot of approaching $2b imo.

StuBurns

Banned
It never bothered me that he doesn't get on there, but it does bother me that they try to both climb on the same side, anyone who's ever been in water would know to have both people attempt to climb up at once, from opposite sides.

GhaleonEB

Water was already somewhat on the wreckage to begin with. Anymore weight and it would have been submerged. Plus... as Cameron says... you can still die of hypothermia by being partially in freezing water.

Yeah. I've seen a lot of references to this lately, about why didn't Rose let Jack on. But it's so well communicated in the film, you've got to be pretty thick not to get it. Jack tries to get on. The flotsam sinks. He looks, around, makes his decision, Cameron goes in for the close up as it sinks in. And we get several shots of Rose at water level, showing how close to the the water she is.

Can't think of a better way to end it other than have Mythbusters take it on, with Cameron's help. That'll be a must-watch episode.

I got the Bluray yesterday from Best Buy honoring a price match for the Alien Anthology set. I basically got Titanic and all four Alien films plus bonus content for fifty dollars which isn't too bad. It was pretty good timing for that Alien sale because I was in the mood for another Cameron film after watching the making-of Aliens. Plus, Titanic was one of my most watched movies when I was younger (well the second VHS tape was, but regardless) and I haven't seen it in a long time.

LOL it seems like Cameron has been talking more shit about Leo during the blu press tour.

"Leo was like a Siamese cat trying to get into the water. He made a huge production of it every time. The water could be 80 degrees but he hated to get wet - or pretended he hated to get wet."

"It turned out on the last day of shooting, we had to do an underwater scene and he said: 'I'm a certified scuba diver'. What was all this stuff with the cat and getting into the water? I wanted to wring his neck."

I am very impressed with the 3d version of Titanic. usually conversions are asstastic, but the amount of care and positioning of the scene elements is quite nice. the open matte really scale adds to the 3d effect when projected.

3d effect 8/10
movie 5/10

yeah, most look like the house used a convertor which came with a Samsung TV.
although not true 3d, the effect is pleasing, because the house really thought about the positioning range. rather than put the near element closest, the background at the extreme rear and everything else left in the field.
Laudau (the clown) mentioned that Aliens and T2 could get conversions after the next 3 avatar movies, which would be nice to see.

I watched Titanic in its entirety for the first time in years, and I still very much enjoy it. I also checked out some of the deleted scenes. They were interesting, but the film is better without most of them. I did like the extended Carpathia sequence, though.

As for the "alternate ending" I had seen it before, but completely forgot about it until I checked out the bonus features. It's horrible, in my opinion, and I'm so glad Cameron changed it. It just feels so inappropriate.

Jimothy

So I watched this with the cast/crew commentary on, and literally every major cast member but DiCaprio is on the track. He really hates this movie, doesn't he?

strafer

So I watched this with the cast/crew commentary on, and literally every major cast member but DiCaprio is on the track. He really hates this movie, doesn't he?

He doesn't hate it, he just wants to distance himself from it.

And don't know why he ignores it so much, it made him a star.

StuBurns

Banned
It made him a superstar pretty boy poster child to hordes of teens. He was already a star, and making films that were considerably more adult.

I bought the blu-ray and I'm watching the Cameron commentary track now and he talks about how the handcuffs that hold Jack to the pipe in the detention room were genuine 1912 model handcuffs. But once Rose seperates the cuffs with the ax, does Jack wear the bracelets for the rest of the movie? Do we ever see them again? Just wondering.

strafer

I bought the blu-ray and I'm watching the Cameron commentary track now and he talks about how the handcuffs that hold Jack to the pipe in the detention room were genuine 1912 model handcuffs. But once Rose seperates the cuffs with the ax, does Jack wear the bracelets for the rest of the movie? Do we ever see them again? Just wondering.

Yep, he has them all the way to the end.

Jimothy

It made him a superstar pretty boy poster child to hordes of teens. He was already a star, and making films that were considerably more adult.
Well he should have done Boogie Nights or another "adult" movie instead. I can see why Cameron hates him so much now. He seems to take himself way too seriously.

Just watched the 3D blu-ray. Simply put... Amazing. I could not tell it was a conversion save for a few scenes. The 3D really cranked the immersion level up several notches.... To the point it felt surreal! My jaw was hitting the floor on disc two. AMAMZING! SIMPLY AMAZING!

I highly recommend anyone with a 3DTV get this movie.

And as always... RIP to the people did not survive. It really makes me sad that it takes large scale tragedies to bring about positive change.

strafer

Just saw it myself. Might as well post it here.

So the plans for Titanic II is scheduled to be unveiled on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

hipping company Blue Star Line has announced a new date for the global launch next year of Titanic II on the retired aircraft carrier USS Intrepid in New York and has also rescheduled five other Titanic II events around the world.

In April, 2012, Professor Clive Palmer, a leading Australian businessman and owner of Blue Star Line, declared to the world his intention to build Titanic II, a full-scale recreation of the world’s most famous cruise liner.

The six Titanic II events were originally scheduled to take place in December, 2012. However, following the devastation caused in New York and along the east coast of the United States by Hurricane Sandy the decision was made to postpone all events until 2013.

Professor Palmer said the New York global launch and gala dinner will now be held on USS Intrepid on Tuesday, February 26, 2013, where he will officially unveil the plans for Titanic II.

Other Titanic II events will be held on February 16 in Macau, February 25 in Boston, March 1 in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada as well as two launches in England on March 2 in London and March 5 in Southampton.

Professor Palmer said as the scheduled destination for RMS Titanic on her maiden voyage in April, 1912, New York has been central to the tragic ship’s story for more than a century.

“She would have docked at New York’s Pier 59, just a short distance from the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum where we will hold our global launch,” he said.

“Ultimately, only around 700 passengers and crew made it to New York when the rescue ship Carpathia arrived on April 18, 1912.

“While looking ahead to the exciting Titanic II project, we shall commemorate the past by paying tribute to the courage of the passengers and crew, along with those who risked their lives in the rescue mission.”

Titanic II is scheduled to set sail from Southampton to New York on her maiden passenger voyage in 2016.

In April, 2012, Blue Star Line signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Chinese company CSC Jinling to build Titanic II, while plans for the ship have been commenced by Finnish-based marine design and engineering company Deltamarin.

http://bluestarline.com.au/titanic-ii/?p=1303

Narolf

Banned
Wanted to post the following months ago but since I was still vegetating in lurking mode back then...
There is already a sequel. Trololo.

http://i.imgur.com/3FAFM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4OnHCRd_4[/url]

Edit: Oops, [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36587918&postcount=468"]beaten[/URL]. Still worth another mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom